[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Maz Kanata's Castle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
Abrams was willing to go a little further and reveal some of the backstory behind Maz Kanata and the castle she inhabits with a court of misfits and miscreants.

>“Her history is that she was a pirate for a long time,” he says. “She’s lived over a thousand years. She’s had this watering hole for about a century, and it’s like another bar that you’d find in a corner of the Star Wars universe.”
>>
File: 1431457581550.jpg (37 KB, 691x485) Image search: [Google]
1431457581550.jpg
37 KB, 691x485
>Mandalore flag
>Anakin's podracing flag
>>
File: Maz.png (351 KB, 842x570) Image search: [Google]
Maz.png
351 KB, 842x570
>Maz seems to serve as this movie’s wise, ancient alien with connections to the mystical side of the galaxy. “I wanted to do the creature as a puppet originally, but once we figured out the things that she was required to do, it felt like [performance capture] was the way to go,” Abrams said. And she’s one of the few creatures in her court who is not a real-life, practical effect. According to Abrams, the digital artists had a high standard to meet to make her blend in with the others.

>“Maz needed to look and feel and be just like one of those creatures. And given her mobility, and given the role that she played, it became clear that that was one creature where we should use the tool of CG,” he says. “But the performance was all Lupita. She was there on set, and we did capture sessions afterwards as well, and I can’t say enough about working with her.”
>>
>>62672425
>it’s like another bar that you’d find in a corner of the Star Wars universe.”

HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A POET, NOT A DIRECTOR!
>>
>>62672536
I thought that little alien was Rey's scavenger buddy on that thing wearing the AT-ST armor?
>>
>>62672425
ITT: CGI that aged like milk
>>
File: TFA-Lupita-and-Maz.jpg (27 KB, 459x271) Image search: [Google]
TFA-Lupita-and-Maz.jpg
27 KB, 459x271
>>62672619

Her eyes have special meaning and power. “I had some specific ideas about how she would work and what she would do,” Abrams says. “I had this pitch about these goggles that she wore. Her eyes are an important aspect of her character, and you’ll see how it plays out.”

Nyong’o couldn’t go into the specifics about Maz’s eyes and capabilities, but said their traits gave her something compelling to explore. “As an actor for films, your eyes are a lot of the way you communicate anyway,” says Nyong’o. “So it was definitely a gift to have that be the means to her magic as a motion-capture character.”
>>
>The red droid is leaving because the bar doesn't allow droid inside.

POETRY
>>
>>62672425

Jesus do you Disney shills realize you're making a lot of people sick and tired of that film by constantly posting about anything related to it?

What the fuck It's like you want people not to se the shit
>>
>>62672752

Good. You'd do better not to support JJ Abram's bullshit.
>>
>>62672691

Alien
Magic
Negro
>>
>JJ makes his own strong black womyn Yoda
>Yoda was 900? Oh yeah well SHE'S over 1000!
>>
>>62672752
what are you babbling about crazy hater? this is a waifu thread
>>
the snoke shit came out too
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/12/star-wars-andy-serkis-supreme-leader-snoke?hootPostID=1315852dd9a486f2970f8fc7126f63b3
>>
>>62672831

Yeah, I'm kind of really fucking sick of JJ's dicksucking of the OT at this point. Fucking come up with your own ideas for once, Christ.
>>
>>62672936
>Snoke kept changing, not only through principle photography, but even after. (So any “early concept art” that may be floating around online is probably nowhere near what this dark-hearted character looks like.)

excellent!
>>
>>62672936
>Supreme Leader Snoke is quite an enigmatic character, and strangely vulnerable at the same time as being quite powerful,” Serkis says. “Obviously he has a huge agenda. He has suffered a lot of damage. As I said, there is a strange vulnerability to him, which belies his true agenda, I suppose.”

>While Abrams has emphasized a return to practical effects on The Force Awakens, is Snoke perhaps a character who could have been played by Serkis in make-up?
>“No, no,” the actor says. “The scale of him, for instance, is one reason. He is large. He appears tall. And also just the facial design – you couldn’t have gotten there with prosthetics. It’s too extreme. Without giving too much away at this point, he has a very distinctive, idiosyncratic bone structure and facial structure. You could never have done it [in real life.]”
>>
>>62672425
looks like cgi fucking shit oh my goodness
>>
>>62673037

So he's a Yuzzhan Vong sounding piece of shit character? Congrats on another rip-off JJ.
>>
>>62672484
where?
>>
>>62672936
>still spamming early concept art

now post the shitty photoshopped CGI alien you kept spamming last night
>>
>>62673128

Yuuzhan Vong are just shitty edgelord humans with points and tattoos, that's the exact kind of awful lazy design they're avoiding.
>>
>>62673166
>when dumb reddit shits don't look at the link
Go back to your forum
>>
>>62673249
>that's the exact kind of awful lazy design they're avoiding.

Not from the sound of it dickcheese. Face it, Abrams can't come up with anything interesting on his own here.
>>
>>62672536

Why have a young terrible actress to play your old goofy CGI alien?
>>
>>62673316
>oscar winner
>terrible
>>
>>62673285

Why are you saying this? They're going outside of the realm of a human design which is more than can be said with most sci-fi.
>>
>>62673316
why be a fat nerd who cries at the site of black people in his childrens movie?
>>
>>62673358
>charity oscar for black people
>meaning anything
shaking my head to be honest family
>>
>>62672959
If JJ came up with his own ideas you'd all be complaining about it anyway tbqh
>>
>>62673316

The fuck are you talking about? Lupita is a great actress. I'm willing to bet you've never even seen her act.
>>
>>62673142
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rfs8Mx3Xx8&feature=youtu.be&t=750
>>
>>62673358
Damn, she starving
>>
>>62673417

Lupita pls. Her color literally makes no difference for the part, and from the thousands of actors they could pick that could actually have some meaningful insight to the character's construction they simply picked some chick that, at the time, was the hot shit because she won an Oscar. If that's the criteria have fucking Meryl Streep to play the old alien lady.
>>
File: 1447278129857.png (923 KB, 598x945) Image search: [Google]
1447278129857.png
923 KB, 598x945
>>62673166
>>
>>62673547

So your argument is Oscar winners shouldn't be given roles and every female alien should be played by Meryl Streep?

You wanna hear some REAL bullshit? Frank Oz was only in his mid THIRTIES when he played Yoda! Why the fuck couldn't they at least find a hundred year old guy if not a nine hundred year old guy?
>>
>>62673432
>If JJ came up with his own ideas you'd all be complaining about it anyway tbqh

Not really. At least he'd actually be trying to do something new with the franchise, instead of just regurgitating what we've already seen.
>>
>>62673703

Like snake men and alien pirate queens? The funniest part is you're probably shitposting in another thread right now about how the series is ruined for casting black people.
>>
>>62673777

Those are exactly the kind of thing that are already in the movies you fucknut.
>>
>>62672425
>>
>>62674805
>>62674805
>JJ makes an old character in a world where very old aliens exist and would be pretty fucking knowledgable and good resources if you had a question that needed answering
>Yoda is dead so he makes another
>she's noticeably different, has her own personality and past and abilities
>contrarian shitposters have a field day

I hate this world
>>
is she the Yoda of this trilogy?
>>
>>62677954
stop shilling this board then you faggot
>>
>>62678012
you haven't seen the film yet. go shit post aobut films you've already seen or kill yourself
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.