[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Didn't grew up around VHS and my family already get rid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: pxzfhblboum9x3tl2eon.jpg (52 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
pxzfhblboum9x3tl2eon.jpg
52 KB, 640x427
Didn't grew up around VHS and my family already get rid of our VCR when I was like 2 or 3, so I want to ask:
is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs, like the image and the sound is crispier and it's like it have actual soul?
Is it worth to start a VHS collection? I want to show some retro movie to my friends at friday night, I was wondering if an old TV set and a lot of tapes could be neat, I think they look super cool and I'm quite fed up with streaming and netflix that, to me, is too commercial oriented. They even sell VHS remasters of new movies, they're quite expensive but I think they worth the price.
>>
>>62670383
I kind of fucking love those covers.
>>
is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs, like the image and the sound is crispier and it's like it have actual soul?
>no
Is it worth to start a VHS collection?
>no
>>
You need to be at least 18 to post here
>>
>>62670383
>is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs, like the image and the sound is crispier and it's like it have actual soul?

No, VHS are fun just because of nostalgia but if you didn't knew VHS you won't have any pleasure watching them
>>
>>62670383
I have a ton of VHS in my basement and a VCR not hooked up and even a CRT

Maybe it's time I get around to it
>>
>>62670383
>tfw there are hipsters that unironically believe this
>like Quentin Tarantino
>>
>>62670383
>it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs, like the image and the sound is crispier and it's like it have actual soul?
No, I don't know where you heard this but it's wrong. DVDs have crisper video and sound across the board and don't degrade as fast as VHS tapes.

>Is it worth to start a VHS collection?
No. I can maybe see a vinyl-like appeal of having old tech, but unlike vinyl VHS is simply worse than newer formats.

>They even sell VHS remasters of new movies, they're quite expensive but I think they worth the price.
Sounds like a waste of money to me, I wouldn't buy those.
>>
Everyone has already said no but bear in mind, in 15 years after production they'll likely be unwatchable.
>>
OP is taking the piss out of vinyl hipsters, this isn't serious.
>>
>>62670401
Hello reddit
>>
>they even sell VHS remasters of new movies
That is completely retarded you're paying more for something of lower quality.
>>
>>62670596
Why? They aren't remotely the same.
>>
>the wolf off wall street
>off
>>
>>62670383
No, as a person who grew up in the 80's I can tell you with all certainty that VHS was a shit. A shit I say! Made the switch to DVD in 96' and the difference in clarity was mind blowing at the time. I do not miss VHS.
>>
>>62670635
trolled hard.
>>
DVD plus CRT is much better looking than VHS/CRT. DVD can look like shit on newer HD TV due to the up scaling shit. Don't waste your time/money on a vhs collection.
>>
And what about buying an old N-Gage and then watching Realtime 30min movies on that neat 160p screen with friends? Sounds like a real 2004 experience.
>>
i kind of miss the feeling putting a tape in the machinery and feel it grab it and suck it in.
>>
>>62670824
It's about a yuppie in the 80s that turns into a werewolf when he makes a lot of money
>>
There are only two reasons to buy/watch VHS:

1. To amass a Horror collection -- because Horror has a shitload of VHS treasures
2. To collect VHS as a novelty

There's not much else reason to want to watch 'em on VHS unless it's for nostalgia -- outside of the prior two reasons.
>>
>>62670383
didn't grow up with schooling either, did you?
>>
>>62672628
Collecting VHS is a fool's errand, as VHS demagnetizes over time and every time they're played.
>>
>>62672705
If they're played like 5 billion times, yeah...
>>
Op vhs is shit quality I grew up when vhs was starting to die out and widescreen DVD was the thing
>>
I would say no. I mean collect VHS if you like it or just for the fact that it's pretty cheap you can probably get box loads of them locally for less than ten dollars.
>>
File: Adjust your Tracking.jpg (159 KB, 621x960) Image search: [Google]
Adjust your Tracking.jpg
159 KB, 621x960
Highly recommend this documentary to see just how obnoxious and deluded VHS collectors are. They are fucking horrible and so is VHS.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o
>>
>tfw dad put his money on betamax
>filmed all home/baby videos on betamax
>>
You need to get a projector or laserdisc player son.
>>
>>62674248
That's how many it takes for complete data loss, but every play reduces the quality. So eventually you can't see anything.
>>
Oh god no, VHS looked horrible and the sound had a noticeable buzz to it, and the best thing is the quality would degrade with every viewing.
>>
VHS are shit senpai. why use a celeron when you can use an I7?
>>
>>62674479
It is still a reasonable quality after several hundred plays though; you wouldn't watch one film over a hundred times.
>>
File: 1420106226157.png (3 KB, 203x219) Image search: [Google]
1420106226157.png
3 KB, 203x219
VHS's are literal shit, DVD's are a thousand times better and even they're fucking garbage. There is no reason for you to own a film unless it's one of your favourite films and you just want a copy of it. I've got so many fucking VHS's and DVD's lying around, it honestly might as well be a big pile of garbage for all I give a shit about it.
>>
>>62670383
>Is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVD?
The sound will be a little bit more muddy and the picture a little bit more blurry/fuzzy, but these aspects are just what gives it actual soul. In my opinion, it is better to have reduced and have soul (VHS), than to have perfect quality and no soul (more modern formats).

>Is it worth to start a VHS collection?
Absolutely. You can buy films at cheap prices and the tapes are much more structurally durable than CDs. Also, from my experience, films are much more 'comfy' when played through a VCR, with all its imperfections.
>>
>>62670401
you're kind of a hipster faggot

>much outdated antiquated media systems

Go suck on an 8 track
>>
>>62675289
rude desu
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.