[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is inarguably the greatest movie ever made. From the sprawling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9
File: serveimage.jpg (704 KB, 2000x921) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
704 KB, 2000x921
This is inarguably the greatest movie ever made. From the sprawling dissection of humanity's evil and selfishness through Dr. Hugh Mann (played in an Oscar-deserving performance by Matthew Damon), to the beautiful Oedipal relationship between a father and his daughter. In one film, Nolan manages to explore the furthest reaches of space and time, and ultimately collapses into a blackhole, symbolic of how he has filled a great void consuming modern cinema. Without this film, science would not have a place in modern cinema, and we would be forced to watch lesser films such as "Lucy," without nearly the same amount of science in it. Nolan and his scientist friend Kip Thorne even co-wrote a book to accompany the film, and it was given to audiences freely on the opening screenings, as if inviting their minds into the greater realms of science. Without this movie, cinema would be doomed, but Nolan once again saves it. This has been compared to "2001," but it is a better film -- the story isn't pretentious, but very close to home, resting on romance and a father's love for his childrens. Bravo Nolan.
>>
DUDE
>>
>>62659718
POWER OF
>>
>>62659718
WEED
>>
>love is the only force that can travel through dimensions
>>
>>62659718
>>62659727
>>62659746
sup reddit
>>
Detailed Analysis of Interstellar (Feat. Grant Voegtle)

>Interstellar had an *extremely* complex plot but it was also rich with themes that structure a prediction for our future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1FFkG6Qd0

I love you Forever - Interstellar Analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2xMpjn4LrI

Interstellar, movie analysis -Tolec & Dan Brock

>in-depth review, analysis & provide commentary and insight into some of the more profound, salient & poignant moments [up to & including the first half] of this thought provoking movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRBJeh5pIgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI0qvNfIHcI

Media Bites Extra Thoughts on INTERSTELLAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iP9NQF-UwE

Interstellar - Film Review and Analysis | Abyss: Explorations in Storytelling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY9GAH64x9g

INTERSTELLAR ANALYSIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdTJIxEuntU

Interstellar & 2001: A Space Odyssey - Rough Cut film Analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pjn5OoKRDI
>>
>>62659703
Is he walking towards God?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4
>>
>>62659811
I'm not watching any of those but I'm sort of curious as to what they could be. What kind of twisted faggot do you have to be to be willing to go to so much effort to create an analysis but also have such shit taste that you don't realize Nolan isn't worth a second look?
>>
>>62659703
>>62659960
THREAD
>>
>>62659782
and fingering watches
>>
agreed 100%

and lol just lol if you complain about the science portion or about the "love"

the movie is about humanity and existence

if you don't like it stay pleb and beta
>>
>magic space library
>>
>>62659811

great post
>>
>>62659703
I really like this film. Something strange I've noticed and that's I don't ever want to watch it again.

I'm not sure why that is.
>>
DUDE I'LL JUST SWING US AROUND THAT NEUTRON STAR LMAO
>>
File: 458731782.jpg (125 KB, 620x861) Image search: [Google]
458731782.jpg
125 KB, 620x861
>>62659703
Interstellar is a great film. It made me realize the power of love.
>>
>>62660202
Because it's shit, mate
>>
>>62660202
Same I watched it a second time with new people but I don't want to watch it for a long time and I hope when I do, it still captures whatever it captured in my mind. Cmon Tars and entering the black hole are probably the most powerful moments I've ever experienced in a film and I want to preserve them.
>>
It was overly long, boring, had stupid characters, and was loud.
>>
>>62659703

i know 4chan is about trolling but holy fuck these "interstellar is a good movie" threads enrage me

this movie was a massive insult to anyone with half a brain

"OMG THE ONE THING SCIENCE AND PHYSICS CANT EXPLAIN IS LUV SO MEBBE LOVE CAN MAKE TIME WORMHOLES"

shit made me want to slit my throat
>>
I'd rather enjoy a dildo. I wish I would be engaged with a dildo. Happy?
>>
>>62660566
I seriously hope you don't actually think this. Humans from the distant future relied on the strong bond between Murphy and her dad in order to get their message across.

Inanimate "love" didn't just create a wormhole, retard. I really hope I'm the retarded one for believing you're serious.
>>
>>62659703
This is probably bait, but I'll bite. Interstellar is my favorite movie but you just come across as a faggot. If you think 2001 is pretentious it means you're a filthy millennial.
>>
>>62660202
I actually appreciate it more each time. Knowing the ending and worldview, I recommend focusing more on the themes than the concrete plot.
>>
>>62660566

i fucking know that feel

the film was so shit

you have to be a pleb of the greatest magnitude to like it

evidence in point, 8.7 on imdb. the plebs love it.
and these retards coming in with posts like "look at the themes"

fuck the themes if the film has a plot which makes zero fucking sense

even inception, i can tolerate, because once you accept the retarded premise of "you can go inside people's dreams and fuck with their heads, and go into dreams inside those dreams", you can suspend your disbelief for the entire film

with interstellar, there's a fucking dozen of those, each more retarded than the last, culminating in the grand finale of "the best way to transmit the 'quantum data' which will let humans move to a space station is to be trapped in an interdimensional time-paradoxical bookshelf and TAP MY FUCKING WRISTWATCH SO MY DAUGTER NOTICES IT."

if someone tells me they like this film's plot (you can enjoy the music and the visuals, they were ok), any positive opinion i had of them is immediately shattered
>>
>>62659703
I cried/10 desu
>>
>>62659703
>Dr. Hugh Mann
I never watched this movie, is that seriously the fucking name of the main character? That sounds like the name you would use for a fucking knock knock joke character
>>
File: 1445389067186.jpg (64 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1445389067186.jpg
64 KB, 600x600
>>62661976
>Hugh Mann
>Huge Man
>>
>>62659703
The scene in the poster was the only good scene, other than his kids growing up in the video
>>
>>62660096
>nonsensical thing that being of the 3rd dimension are incapable of understanding

Sounds reasonable
>>
>don't let me leave murph

>teared up once in the theater
>teared up twice on a home rewatch the other day

great FILM
The last one to make me cry was tree of life
>>
OK SO I JUST PULL ON THIS MAGIC STRING AND THAT WILL STOP THE NORMAL FUNCTIONS OF THE WATCH AND CREATE A SIMPLE MORSE CODE USING ONLY THE HAND. HOW CONVENIENT IS THAT. AND IT WILL REPEAT FOREVER

WITH THE POWER OF LOVE
>>
>>62662539

dude love crosses all dimensions liek gravity stfu
>>
>DUDE DUDE LOVE LMAO :))))))))

You literally have no other criticism besides this shit
>>
>>62662984

when "this shit" is representative of the entire plot of the film, it is 100% a valid criticism

imo, the acting was solid, the soundtrack was well composed, the CGI was great, the cinematography was great

but for me, none of that means a thing when the plot was completely retarded, and the characters were shit

what i've learned from this film is that different people (i.e. plebs) value different aspects of a film in wildly varying ratios
>>
>>62661746
You fucking retarded bastard are such a big godamn faggot you piece of shit Im gonna take all the shit outta you piece of cum. PUG LOVE. PUGS GONNA ROLE THE WORLD AND HATERS GONNA HATE BLACK FAGGOT.
>>
Poorly paced with a trite, saccharine and occasionally cringeworthy script which treats its audience like idiots.

Nonsensical, ridiculous decision making by characters at times.

A severe lack of imagination when approaching the 'fiction' half of science fiction (a criticism that can also be levelled at Inception).

Doesn't say anything about the human condition which hasn't been handled in a more perceptive, succinct and powerful way dozens of times before.

Nolan's last few films have been 3 or 4 great scenes surrounded by utter dross.
>>
>>62665325
Your post is 3 or 4 great words surrounded by utter dross.
>>
>>62663301
It's just a retarded mcguffin

it's like calling Pulp Fiction a pile of shit because the plot device is some unexplained briefcase of bullshit
>>
>>62659960
Its kinda like a religious text at this point. Nolan's formula is to throw as much shit against the wall as he possibly can, then his fans just pick and choose what sticks with them and what doesn't.

Like there are people who try to deny the bits about how nolan props up love as a fundamental force, or how the blight was just idiotically conceived in every facet, or how moving to space could not have solved the problem at all, or how the drone scene was such a huge part of the movie, but served no real purpose and was clearly just left over from an earlier draft of the script. Eventually it gets to the point where they're just ignoring half or more of the movie, and still trying to insist it's completely brilliant.
>>
File: 1447285720586.png (78 KB, 579x580) Image search: [Google]
1447285720586.png
78 KB, 579x580
>>62659703
> Dr. Hugh Mann

HAHAHA HAHA GET IT, BECAUSE HIS NAME SOUNDS LIKE HUMAN
>>
>>62665325
>which treats its audience like idiots.
I don't know dude, it seems justified at this point.
>>
>>62665578
well Pulp Fiction IS indeed a streaming pile of shit.
>>
>>62665618
Clearly hes going for "huge man" or "big guy."
>>
>/v/edditors will never understand love or empathy

one of the countless reasons they all should kill themselves
>>
>>62665578
>central plot device of the movie which is thoroughly explored and heavily utilized is a macguffin

This is the point where you just admit to yourself you don't have any idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1446646483112.gif (2 MB, 261x319) Image search: [Google]
1446646483112.gif
2 MB, 261x319
>>62665620
>>
It's alright, a little bit underrated but that's about it.
>>
>>62665658
but it isn't
in the final scenes the explanation is
>lol love conquers all I suppose
>credits
>>
File: 1426617394099.jpg (56 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1426617394099.jpg
56 KB, 342x342
>nolanfags actually claim it as the most scientifically accurate movie of all time
>>
>>62665685
I see you're ignoring brand's love speech and the way she was proven right, twice.
>>
>>62665688
Well they hired kip thorne as a mute criticism shield.

Can you argue with a person who is contractually bound to never criticize the movie? I thought not.
>>
>>62665664
>potatosoup.gif
>>
>>62665693
Surely not! If interstellar was a genius piece of work, he wouldn't have to pick and choose which parts to ignore to make the whole seem better!
>>
>>62665707
will change filename tyvm
>>
>>62665693
>brand's love speech

a woman inlove is talking emotional gibberish in a stressful situation, i fail to see how that's unrealistic

about her planet of choice being right -that doesn't mean she was right, that's a fallacy whose name i forget which people in poker make - just because a wrong decision ends up giving you good results, doesn't mean it wasn't a wrong decision.
>>
>>62665843
So you're ignoring how edmund was alive when she made that speech, and how love is what allowed cooper to navigate the tesseract, because that would mean nolan was trying to establish "love" as a fundamental force of the universe, and that would be extremely hackish.

I mean, its okay, if you want to perform mental gymnastics to make a movie seem a lot better, its not like anyone can stop you.
>>
>>62665869
>So you're ignoring how edmund was alive when she made that speech, and how love is what allowed cooper to navigate the tesseract

im not ignoring it, i dont remember it. i thought edmund died
>>
>>62665893
He died because a rock slide crushed his lander while he was in stasis.

Now, you can assume he specifically parked his lander under an unstable rock formation because hes retarded, but more likely in the 23-123 years it took the endurance to get to edmund's there was an earthquake, which triggered the rock slide and crushed his lander.

But the implication, in her desperation, is they had limited time to get to edmund's planet, and she knew that because love.
>>
I thought black holes were just a mathematical fairy tale?

>There are black holes at the center of the galaxy

lol wut?
>>
>>62666055
... No, they're observable and verified to exist, and exist because of a quirk of relativity... Not a fairy tale.

Wormholes are a fairy tale though.
>>
>>62661997
>for you

is this somekind of a homoerotic subliminal message nolan trying to plant in the viewer's subconscious mind???
>>
>>62665693
You mean that one ten seconds of the film? And she was never proven right.
It was just some emotionally driven metaphor. It was a shit line, but it had nothing to do with anything. People are acting like at some point they actually opened a wormhole using love our something.
>>
>>62666148
> And she was never proven right.
Edmund was alive when she made it, was the motivation for the "time" discussion, and was the reason the bulk beings needed cooper in the tesseract so he could send meaningful messages to the past, as established earlier when deadguy was talking about how the aliens had been trying (and failing) to send messages for decades.

So, yea. In interstellar, love is literally a fundamental force of the universe.
>>
>>62666108
Then why are there no pictures of them?
>>
File: 1442906639175.png (10 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1442906639175.png
10 KB, 180x200
If Coop sends himself to the Nasa base, how did he get there in the first place ?

Yes this is a causal loop and a fucking rookie mistake when playing with time travel.
>>
>>62659703

Just another ameriturd circlejerk where they show the world how great they are and how they save the world through their twisted moral values.

I'm so tired of this shit
>>
>>62666221
cooper wasn't part of the original endurance mission timeline at all.
>>
>>62666220
Space is big and they don't emit any detectable energy.
>>
>>62662476
film?
more like a flick
>>
>>62666259
Care to elaborate on that?
>>
>>62666259
>>62663301
>>62665325
>>62665578
>>62665706
>>62666288

IF you were not moved while watching Interstellar in IMAX you're probably too dumb to understand the movie, stick to Michael Bay and capeshit please.

This movie has honestly changed my life.

I went into it not expecting much, considering that was hyped to shit . Holy fucking shit , I was I blown away. I was hooked, like a baby to a tit with creamy foamy milk. I could feel the energy and hype flowing through my body, bringing light to my dull life. I resonated with Cooper. I could feel his struggle and his desire to surpass his limitations, something that struck me hard. Everything suddenly stopped when I heard the words:

It's not impossible, it's necessary

and I started trembling. That was me, I feel like I've been my life has been impossible these past years. I haven't been able to hold a steady job, my grades were starting to slip, and my parents suspect that I'm gay. It was right then and there that I knew that I had to get my shit together. I can't think of any other movie that has had such a profound effect on me, let alone on the first 2 hours. Ever since that absolute kinography expericne, I'm a change man, I'm a better man. Thank you, Interstellar, thank you Nolan.

It's necessary.
>>
>>62666341
A large number of individual scenes, isolated from the rest of the movie, are quite moving and well done.

The problem is the movie as a whole.

During the "down" periods where nothing visually interesting is happening, all one can do is reflect upon how lazy had roughshod the writing trying to link everything together is. But, I guess, if you're capable of just turning your brain off during those segments, the movie seems a lot better.
>>
File: drizzy-tears.gif (125 KB, 300x292) Image search: [Google]
drizzy-tears.gif
125 KB, 300x292
>>62662476
>because my daddy told me
>>
>>62666341
When tars said "thats impossible" his scientific accuracy was set too high. As it is impossible for an explosion and depressurization on one side of the endurance to send it into a perfect spin lateral to the force of the explosion and depressurization. In that scene the endurance should have been flipping like a coin in the air, not spinning like a bike wheel.
>>
>>62666402
>During the "down" periods
>where nothing visually interesting is happening
>all one can do is reflect upon how lazy had roughshod the writing trying to link everything together is

go back to your michael bay and capeshit .

while watching this epic,i couldn't believe the masterpiece I was witnessing. I felt like throughout the entire film Nolan himself was speaking to me, through space and time, his love was there. He assured me that a new era of film has arrived, a new era to save us from these lackluster movies we are accustomed too.

But you are too dumb to get past the depth and complexity of this masterpiece.Which is why you can't appreciate the work of art you witnessed.People like you makes me sick.
>>
>>62666479
Here's what i have to say>>62666487
>>
>>62666487
Yea, I guess I should've googled a random snippet before replying as if you weren't being ebin.
>>
the magical 5th dimension was already bad, but the fact that he survived the wormhole unscathed and was found in the infinitude of the universe and brought to civilization made it much worse.
>>
>>62666527
all that crap was handwaved by bulk beings using gravity magic.
>>
I liked The Prestige more desu
>>
>Oedipal relationship between a father and his daughter

Hrrrumph, trolled by the worst mistake. Well played, anon.
>>
>>62666487
kek
>>
>hey guys the special effects were werked on by scientists lmao the movie is so accurate
>>
>>62665606
yeah. Nolan is the Bethesda of film.
>>
>>62665606
the question "what about the drone?" popped up in my mind about 3 times across the movie.
>>
Nolan is like poor man's Kubrick,

reddit ver. of Kubrick.

OP need to watch more 'films', not 'movies'.

fucking dropped desu, but just b8ed to comment. and stop spamming the same thread everyday. kindly jerk off somewhere else
>>
Might be the best time travel movie ever, but not the best space movie.
>>
>Hugh Mann
wait, was that real? I didn't notice
>>
Hugh Mann
Coop Cooper

CIA

Mal Cobb (Paul Blart)
Dom Cobb (Dumb Cop)
Ariadne

Damnit I hate Nolan a little bit more every day?
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.