[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you find this a compelling trilogy? Please share why. I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: the-godfather-508d945641aed.jpg (237 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
the-godfather-508d945641aed.jpg
237 KB, 1000x562
Do you find this a compelling trilogy? Please share why.

I have seen the first film five times over the years and I have never cared for it. I have seen the second and third once each and cared for them even less. (I know, nobody likes the third) But what is so great about the trilogy?
It is well lit and well acted. Not much more I have to say for it. I don't find any of the characters interesting or sympathetic, and nothing in the narrative holds any weight for me besides Michael's first two murders cementing his place in the crime world.
Everything else is just a bunch of power plays between crime figureheads with no real motivation outside self interest.

Is it just a audience insert effect, where workingclass America gets to become Michael Corleone and live out their hedonistic power fantasies while feigning sophistication because The Godfather is A-R-T and a "critique of Capitalism"?

I know I'm being brazen here. I want to start a discussion though. Please do tell me why I'm wrong.
>>
File: godfather business.jpg (125 KB, 1559x786) Image search: [Google]
godfather business.jpg
125 KB, 1559x786
>>62654490
I liked it because I'm big on family. I only really liked the first movie, and toward the beginning when everyone was operating together. When people started dropping, it grew gloomy. I liked Sonny for sticking up for his sister and for pic related, but he was a hothead who cheated on his woman which was disappointing. I liked Fredo for being laid back, but felt bad for him being the older brother who got no respect. I liked Michael through most of the first movie. Don Corleone was fantastic throughout.
>>
>>62654490
i read the book and watched the movies again. its more a miniseries than a traditional trilogy viewed this way. like the original house of cards. 3 movies, a miniseries. not a trilogy. you know?

also puzo is a fucking hack, the movies are better
>>
>>62654490
I was born in 1997, what is this?
>>
>>62654490

The third film felt unnecessary. The first two were masterpieces though.
>>
>>62654490
No, I think it's an entry level series of flicks.
>>
>>62654675
hmm

I guess I never really looked at it from the perspective of a strict family drama. As someone who came from essentially a non-family, I've never much cared for the family dynamics in film. I think that's a good thing to point out.
>>
>>62654675
i agree with this post
>>
It's a corporate allegory with spiritual themes of sin and absolution

The latter of which is solidified in Part 3, the BEST film of the trilogy
>>
Sofia > Francis
>>
>>62654823
OIAMLAFFIN
>>
>>62654888
hey reddit
>>
>>62654888
redditor deteted
>>
>>62654908
>b-but bill murray in japan
you sure project a lot
>>
>>62654490

GABAGOOL
>>
File: godfatherepic-1981.jpg (34 KB, 637x877) Image search: [Google]
godfatherepic-1981.jpg
34 KB, 637x877
>>62654490

it's masters of their respective crafts operating at their highest levels as a team

the direction, set design, cinematography ,and acting are pretty much much perfect through every scene...no wasted effort or forced storylines

all of the characters act as they would in a natural setting...we learn How they will act through Proper character development

>>no real motivation outside self interest

you didn't get it
>>
>>62655146
The interest of a small family unit is self interest.
>>
>>62655507

integrity,honor etc...

big concepts for little children
>>
>>62655547
I don't feel any of these are communicated though.
>>
That flashback at the end of part two is literally the greatest scene of all time. It sorta reminded me of evangelion too
>>
>>62656237
Fredo is whacked because he compromises his own honor to his family and he has no integrity.

>>62656295
The flashback where Vito gets his revenge? That entire last Sicily sequence is my favorite on film.
>>
>>62656237

that's because there were not enough bright colors and explosions
>>
>>62656359
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r-I4VIR5yGg
>>
>>62656466
Yeah that's outstanding. I prefer the Sicily scene. And that last shot of an older Michael, alone, looking over Lake Tahoe with leaves blowing in a stiff breeze all around. And the "I was stepped ova!" scene with him and Fredo.
>>
>>62656426
What a lame way to refute a criticism.
>>
>>62656604
to be fair, it's kind of a lame criticism
>>
Last 25 mins of godfather part 2 > godfather > rest of godfather part 2 > godfather part 3
>>
Let's talk about how Godfather Part III is shit on so hard because the central story exposes wide scale corruption within the Vatican and Italian government and the movie opens with Michael Corleone literally buying his way into the Illuminati.
>>
>>62654490
>(I know, nobody likes the third)
i like it
>>
>>62654490
Coppola a shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eflX1B6MRfw
>>
>>62654908
>>62654957
>literally an indisputable 4chan joke
>reddit
>>
>>62656911
This. Its nowhere near as amazing as the first two, but its still a great movie in itself. The only thing that was shit, was Sophia's acting, but other than that, its great. Hating it is a meme that people hear about before they even see it.
>>
I've not watched III, so I can't comment on the entire trilogy.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.