[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey can we talk about/suggest some recent space/scifi movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
Hey can we talk about/suggest some recent space/scifi movies that aren't terrible?

What I've enjoyed so far:
>wall-e
>moon
>oblivion
>star treks
>total recall
>matrixs'
>ex machina
>i robot
>gravity
>elysium/district 9
so some space politics, some just cool shit, some about robots vs people, some aliens
not really from this board though desu, just need some fresh content

inb4 but all of those movies are terrible, anon
this thread is.. probably not for you in that case
>>
>>62628945
Moon and Source Code were my fav but The Machine was bretty good
>>
>>62628945
Except Moon was fucking stupid & is lauded for Sam Rockwell's performance alone.
>>
I'm not recommending this from personal experience yet, but I saw it mentioned this afternoon and I have downloaded it. Do a bit of reading about it before committing to see if it's right for you. From what I've seen there seems to be some magic in it if you can get by the old school CGI.

>>62629037
Source Code is great, The Machine is watchable.
>>
File: immortal-ad-vitam.jpg (168 KB, 1920x1032) Image search: [Google]
immortal-ad-vitam.jpg
168 KB, 1920x1032
>>62629074
Fuck, I dropped my picture.
>>
>sunshine
>pandorum
>supernova
>europa report
>apollo 18
>repo men
>lock down
>enders game
>zero theorem
>>
oh I watched gamer a while back too, it's pretty good
just the idea of controlling someone's brain with yours was pretty crazy, I enjoyed it back in the day. Haven't seen it in a while though

>>62629094
hmm might have to see that too.
>>
>>62628945
Gattaca
>>
>>62629039
Ma nigga. Moon is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>62629037
you liked the machine? It looks like the reviews weren't that good, is there some reason for that?
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (111 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
111 KB, 1366x768
>>62629107
>Apollo 18
>>
>>62628945
i recommend you guys to watch hunter/prey.
its one of the most underrated/overlooked movies of recent years. it looks fantastic aswell ( although the alien design is a bit odd )
>>
>>62629217
Guy who worked on H/P pls go
>>
File: cast_bg1-1400x900[1].jpg (274 KB, 1400x900) Image search: [Google]
cast_bg1-1400x900[1].jpg
274 KB, 1400x900
>>62629175
I don't really care for reviews but 78% ain't bad. The movie's good for being how low budget it is. And I prefer this Ava to the Ex machina one.
>>
Moon is easily the best. The Man From Earth is okay, Sunshine looks great but the plot is pretty retarded, Primer is fun but a bit questionable as a film, The Fountain was pretty decent if you want to call that SF

Outside of the ones you mentioned and the super famous ones there isn't really a lot. SF is a really hit or miss (and honestly mainly miss) genre, especially post-Star Wars

>>62629037
I thought Source Code was pretty mediocre desu
>>
>>62629347
Only thing I didn't like about Source Code was the soundtrack. If they had Clint Mansell do the soundtrack it'd be awesome
>>
>>62628945
What have you watched but didn't enjoy?
>>
>>62629485
not a fan of movies like avatar/jurassic park/alien, I like the more political films/dramas and horror/only action is really not my thing at all
>>
>>62628945
Look, most of those ARE bad. Moon, the first Star Trek, the first Matrix, Ex Machina, District 9 and the first half of Wall-E are good.

If you want recent sci-fi that's of a comparable quality to I, Robot, then you can pretty much watch any recent sci-fi and it'll be the same or better.

Some stuff you haven't listed that you may like would be:
>A.I. (Spielberg, 2001)
You'll love it or hate it, but judging from your list I'd say you'd be one of those who loves it.

>The Butterfly Effect (Bress &Gruber, 2004)
Same deal, love it or hate it. Cool concept, not great writing.

>Serenity (Whedon, 2005)
Movie based on Firefly, most people would've seen it. Maybe you didn't like it.

>Avatar (Cameron, 2009)
Probably only worth watching if you have a large and decent monitor/TV

>Inception (Nolan, 2010)
Obvious.

>Super 8 (Abrams, 2011)
A love letter to Spielberg, very much a darker, modern, edgy E.T. I wasn't fussed, but I'm in the minority.

>Chronicle (Trank, 2012)
Before he tanked (Tranked?) his career. I liked it. If you like found-footage, and you like sci-fi, I dunno why you wouldn't like it.

Borderline Sci-fi:
>X2 (Singer, 2003)
inb4 capeshit. It IS capeshit, but it's also sci-fi - more than most other capeshit, imo.

>Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004)
Bit of a romance, but got some good sci-fi elements going on.

>Children of Men (Cuaron, 2006)
Dystopian future, again, most people have seen it. Especially on this board.

>Limitless (Burger, 2011)
Pills that give people super-intelligence. Was received well-enough to warrant a series, but I wasn't too blown away by it.

Movies worth watching that are set in space but are not sci-fi:
>Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014)
Pretty childish but entertaining.

>The Martian (Scott, 2015)
A bit sappy but pretty good.
>>
>>62629332
hey, it's buttchin
>>
>>62629243
i didnt.

but i think its fun that the director of h/p designed the jurassic park logo
>>
This
>>
>>62630034
There's quite a few things wrong with your list but I'd just like to point out that "not great writing" on The Butterfly Effect is one of the biggest understatements I've ever seen

The writing is absolutely terrible.
>>
Minority report
Interstellar
Looper
Edge of tomorrow
>>
watching 2001 space odyssey
I'm about an hour and a half in and nothing seems to be happening
it's not even like I have a problem with movies that are slow-paced, It's just not moving at all
>>
>>62632146
I felt the same way at first, especially the first act. Once you get to the HAL part there's an obvious plot and it becomes easier to enjoy.

If nothing else just enjoy the soundtrack and the visuals, they're both amazing.
>>
some low budgety stuff

pandorum and snowpiercer these were ok
>>
>>62632277
this man is correct
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (41 KB, 500x414) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
41 KB, 500x414
Watch this, its about the Kessler Syndrome
>>
Is The Signal (2014) good?
>>
File: TNS.jpg (1 MB, 1555x2020) Image search: [Google]
TNS.jpg
1 MB, 1555x2020
>>
Europa Report would have been really good if it hadn't been shot found footage style and shown out of order for no apparent reason. I still enjoyed it and it is worth a watch.
>>
Moon was alright, but it reminded me of too much about that one Star Trek episode. You know the one.
>>
dredd
>>
>>62632864
MUH

NAGA
>>
File: 1420216455599.jpg (7 KB, 238x212) Image search: [Google]
1420216455599.jpg
7 KB, 238x212
>>62629107
>apollo 18
>enders game
>repo men
>>
Not recent but Dark City is alright
>>
>>62634827
What was wrong with Repo Men?
>>
>>62628945
So basically you'd watch anything then is what you are saying?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.