[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Unpopular opinions Dustin Hoffman was a better actor than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Hoffman_3130478b.jpg (48 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Hoffman_3130478b.jpg
48 KB, 620x387
>Unpopular opinions

Dustin Hoffman was a better actor than Robert De Niro
>>
>>61781668
That is pretty unpopular.

To be honest, no /pol/ shit intended, his giant Jew nose was always pretty distracting. And his acting was a bit iffy at times. Little Big Man, for instance.
>>
3234423 AND
>>
These men are pawns!
>>
>>61781668
Aw man this is hard. Dustin Hoffman was so... I don't know, natural as an underdog type of character which he consistently played. Watch him in Straw Dogs for example. His meek portrayal makes the final gunfight so utterly satisfying, because the whole movie Dustin has successfully gotten the audience on his side. However, I think that likability might be a detriment because thinking about it, with a few exceptions Hoffman has largely played himself in his seminal works. The only time he wasn't a likable underdog type was Lenny. Even in Death of a Salesman he had a charming scumbag demeanor. I gotta give the edge to DeNiro, who I think has shown a lot more versatility, playing both the despicable lowlife and the dignified business man with deft precision. I recommend The Last Tycoon to you all.
>>
>>61783319
I have put a price of 20,000 dirham on their heads.
>>
"Pretentious" is a buzzword that means absolutely nothing. In plebtalk it means "I can't handle challenging or artistic films, so I'll berate it for trying to be anything but tripe"
>>
>>61781668
There is a funny court room scene in the film Sleepers where De Niro dominates Hoffman with his pure acting ability.
>>
>>61781668
That wouldn't be an unpopular opinion in the 70s. Today, among a lot of (younger?) people he's not regarded as high as he once was. Probably because he didn't play as many flashy characters as Pacino and De Niro.
>>
>>61784338
Probably because he completely stopped giving a fuck after Rain Man. Seriously, after that the one thing he did that touched his earlier stuff was fucking Luck.
>>
>>61781668
DeNiro > Hoffman
The Graduate > Raging Bull
>>
>>61781668
>was
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.