[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you prefer slow, atmospheric horror that shows little to nothing,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: phantasm_1_poster_01.jpg (890 KB, 1931x2950) Image search: [Google]
phantasm_1_poster_01.jpg
890 KB, 1931x2950
do you prefer slow, atmospheric horror that shows little to nothing, jump scare horror, or gorecore?
>>
when the fuck is the new Phantasm coming out
>>
>>61738405
Loved these movies. Also a source of early far material for me in my younger days
>>
>>61738863
I suspect you meant "fap" and I've definitely blown a load or three to Kimmy in part 2.
>>
>>61738405
all of it has it's place.
However, dread is the feeling audiences get when they anticipate something bad happening stalking the main characters - most horror good and bad has this.

Fear is symbolic (like the man in the dog suit giving a blow job to a businessman in the Shining: it was bizarre and unsettling and Wendy reacts like anyone would in her situation which amplifies the shock of it to the audience, even though the imagery itself is actually silly)

Startled: This is a failure of storytelling, generally speaking, and happens when the movie attempts to express dread or fear and falls flat on it's nose. But Fear, like humor, is subjective. One person will find a fart joke boring and uninspired while another will laugh his head off, elbowing his drunk frat boy buddies. Same with fear.

Just a series of jump scares and boring 'anticipation' moments between them can be enough for people not really paying attention to the movie and there for other reasons.
>>
Awful, awful series of films.
>>
>>61738405
atmospheric and gorecore.
>>
>>61738922
the so-called 'jump scare' used to have a purpose: often it was just a cat or some other innocuous moment amplified by music.

It is actually just character building, showing the audience why the character isn't as frightened as they should be because they just got through being scared over nothing. Classic example is Friday the 13th part III, where the goofy prankster has already frightened each of the other characters. When Jason walks onto the docks and aims a spear gun at a girl, she isn't afraid even though he looks menacing, because she thinks it's the prankster. That's good storytelling.

I'd say the overuse of jump scares was Wes Craven's fault. In the Nightmare series he over uses Freddy jumping out of a seemingly harmless environment - but even this had story importance: you realized that the kid was dreaming, failed to stay awake and is not vulnerable. There was probably no other way to do this and still keep the tone.

Modern uses of jump scares are obviously trying to imitate classic examples, but have no real point to them. No character development, no 'reveal' of the situation. But audiences go to these movies not to think, so it still works.
>>
>>61738405
Can poetic horror be an option? Because that is my answer.
>>
I like the Raft in Creepshow 2
>>
Gorecore I guess. I'm a huge horror fan, but I never got into much "arthouse horror".
>>
>>61739482
how old are you and what are your favorites
>>
>>61738405
Depends on the movie, jump scaresare the worst though.
>>
>>61739584
Outside of the usual stuff everyone loves I'd say some favorites are Evil Dead 1 and 2, Cannibal Holocaust, Dawn of the Dead, Dog Soldiers, Re-Animator, Absentia, Return of the Living Dead, Mermaid in a Manhole, The Beyond. I could go on forever.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.