[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you write comedy? Is there a secret to it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: jews.jpg (95 KB, 374x222) Image search: [Google]
jews.jpg
95 KB, 374x222
How do you write comedy? Is there a secret to it?
>>
>>61705843
The secret is to be funny.
>>
Easier to write drama than comedy. Start there, sprinkle in some comedy. Writing a full comedy is so fucking hard. Bad comedy is a bore. Bad drama can at least be funny.
>>
>>61705843

1. think of things in your head
2. say them aloud to people
3. are these people laughing?
4. if yes, write it down
>>
If you watch the IT Crowd season 4 (or 3 - I forget) with commentary, instead of talking you through each scene, writer Graham Linehan spends that whole season describing his writing process. It's like a free sitcom writing course taught by Linehan.
>>
>>61705843
Funny enough I've been watching the seinfeld extras on youtube, it's pretty cool. You get some real insights as to how it was done. Apparently Lary David had a notebook with him at all times and would write down funny shit.
>>
I've read and written a lot of shitty comedies. At most, a bad drama scene is boring and melodramatic. But when comedy doesn't hit, it sinks in your gut.

No real secret, but you have to analyze why things are funny, and PRACTICE it.
>>
File: larry.png (36 KB, 667x339) Image search: [Google]
larry.png
36 KB, 667x339
Just suffer a lot.
>>
File: not healthy.png (35 KB, 1244x396) Image search: [Google]
not healthy.png
35 KB, 1244x396
>>61705843
>>
>>61706451
Thanks but IT Crowd is fucking trash.
>>
Characters a peices of shit that never learn
>Always sunny
>seinfeld
>arrested development
>>
>>61706528
Yeah it seems nearly every storyline in Seinfeld was inspired by some real shit that happened to the writer or to Larry.
>>
Sprinkle "plants" throughout the earlier scenes and then make them pay off later.
>>
>>61709095
Setup and payoff, good strategy
>>
Comedy is based on fear. Fear of death. Fear of not fitting in. Fear of not being liked.
>>
>>61705843
>It´s the nigger guy!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.