[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Auditions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: I am moot.png (349 KB, 621x457) Image search: [Google]
I am moot.png
349 KB, 621x457
>tfw don't know how to sing
I really want to be a part of my local theater but have 0 experience, high schoolers know more than I do for fucks sake

They have auditions every cycle
I was thinking of sitting this one out and ask if I can be a hand or some shit and slowly try to get in

Who /theater/ here?
How do I learn this shit and how to sing?
Pls no bully
>>
What do you mean "don't know how to sing"?

Can you carry a tune? If so, then you have a singing ability that you can train. If not, then you're probably tone deaf and should work in production instead.

Anyway, some shows have small parts, like a one liner or an extra walking around in the background to add to the scenery. Since they don't pay shit, you'll have a chance getting that. Then go from there.
>>
>>67229700

Former theater actor here. How big is your theater? If it's a local community theater, they will almost always need people.

How are you so sure that you can't sing? Very few people know how to sing when they start out.

I didn't particularly like musicals, but when I was 18, I did one. I didn't know I had to have a song prepared, so the directors had me sing happy birthday to a piano, and try to match the tune.

You can generally do this, simply explain that you are new and have very little experience and would like to learn. If you can carry a tune and understand direction and it's not a major production with a lot of dancing, you can get a role on the ensemble most likely.

But since you have 0 experience...

First thing I would do is enroll in a beginning acting class at your local community college and do that. Maybe find another class for voice training. A good acting class will start by simply getting you to break out of your comfort zone by doing weird things in front of an audience. Like making faces, sounds, dancing. Then you'll start practicing some monologues and by the end, you should be doing short scenes with people. This will really give you a feel for theater and you will learn how to take basic direction, use your voice and body language to portray a character. Combine that with some basic voice lessons and you will have a very rudimentary skill set that you can use to begin auditioning.
>>
>>67230060
>First thing I would do is enroll in a beginning acting class at your local community college and do that. Maybe find another class for voice training. A good acting class will start by simply getting you to break out of your comfort zone by doing weird things in front of an audience. Like making faces, sounds, dancing. Then you'll start practicing some monologues and by the end, you should be doing short scenes with people. This will really give you a feel for theater and you will learn how to take basic direction, use your voice and body language to portray a character. Combine that with some basic voice lessons and you will have a very rudimentary skill set that you can use to begin auditioning.

ignore all of that OP and just go audition
>>
>>67229700

I'll also give you a little encouragement...

Theater is a craft. No one is very good when they start out, but some people have a little natural talent. But, because it is a craft, you CAN learn it. It takes time, and effort and you have to allow yourself to hear criticism and feedback. I was not a particularly good actor, when I started at 18. But by the time I was 22, four straight years of acting 3 shows a season, I had acquired some skills and landed a few paid lead roles.

It was small time stuff, but if I could start as a one-liner extra in a play to holding the lead role, you can to. But the first thing you have to do is start. Sign up for some acting classes at school and voice lessons. They're cheap. You'll get some rudimentary training. You'll perform in front of an audience. Everything you need.
>>
>>67230086

OP can do whatever he wants, but if I were him, I would get a little training before going for an audition. Of course, you don't need it - it really depends on what kind of theater he's auditioning for. A community theater in a college will take any warm body. A repertory theater in a city might not.
>>
>>67230138
Thanks, I've been trying to get the courage to even show up
I've been to some theater productions at one of the universities here and got a bit intimidated by the actors
I believe I can do it and act but I'm not too outgoing with strangers, they were pretty pervy too

>>67230174
Well there's three main productions where I live
One of them is absolute sjw shit and the other two sponsor seasonal shows together apart from their main shows that are generally more open to the public
>>
>>67231031
I know your feels. Try and see what the director is like; my first musical I was intimidated too but the director was really cool and she helped me get over it. In my audition I didn't even sing because I forgot the words but she taught me a lot. You don't need to be super outgoing, I mean theater people are theater people of course but be like the driver, calm and cool. I recently played the lead in a show and I barely spoke to the girl who played the romantic lead opposite me offstage but it turned out fine. I believe in you
>>
Get this musical bullshit out of here no one gives a fuck about theater.
>>>/mu/
>>
>>67231176
>barely spoke to the girl who played the romantic lead opposite me offstage
>thereishope.jpg
I just want to act, no drama
Thanks for giving me hope anon
See you when I make it

Could you share some stories?
Whats the smallest crowd youve ever performed for?
>>
>>67231475

Not the guy, but was an actor

The smallest crowd I ever performed for was when I was doing a two-person play (Gruesome Playground Injuries, if you're curious) and we were rotating with another couple of shows for a summer project.

One day for a sunday matinee, like, 6 people showed up. It provided a very weird dynamic for us, it almost felt like we were just rehearsing. But, we did the show and finished it and they clapped.

Biggest audience was in the same studio theater and we had people sitting on the floor near our entrances and exits because there were so many people that wanted to see it. Studio theaters can be small, so maybe about 150 people?
>>
>>67231475
Haven't done a whole lot of shows, so the smallest audience was probably about 20-30 people. Don't know how many of my stories would be interesting on their own that aren't just the daily joking around. You really never know the people you might meet though, there'll be annoying drama queens but also people you could come to consider friends.
>>
>tfw they double cast the show and your double cast gets more applause and cheering than you
>>
>>67229700
Well if you don't know how to sing, like at all, then stick to plays. When it comes to voice, you either have it or you don't. Good voices get better, bad voices don't.
>>
>>67229700
>How do I learn this shit and how to sing?
take a voice class or get private lessons

if you are a shy cuck then learn shit via youtube you lazy cunt

>tfw can act, sing, and play a few instruments and it feels pretty comfy
>>
>>67231475
>Could you share some stories?
I acted my last 2 years I highschool and have only done a class and one production for my college, mostly uneventful other than one of my junior year productions
>Gonna do my first musical
>fuck yeah comfy ass Aladdin
>no formal singing training no choir etc.
>audition for genie
>fuck up the singing so bad that I don't get cast
>guy who is going to play him is from our chamber choir, nice guy
>he falls behind in school
>I fill in and learn all the songs n shit
>I get bumped to officially Genie
>turns out i can sing pretty well and learn it fast
>fill in for aladdin when he is absent and can sing his parts better than him
>chick playing jasmine is upset that she has to deal with him
>toppest of kek
>aladdin kid is absent a lot and misses some combat training
>one day back about a month out from performance aladdin finally learns combat
>simple run through with full props (metal swords, because dank teacher)
>aladdin gets injured because he is a dumbfuck
>show gets cancelled

>Whats the smallest crowd youve ever performed for?
In highschool, i never really looked at the crows and shit because i thought it would throw me, but i know that a few of the diner theater productions i was in were likely around 25-35ish people but the stage was built into the crowd and inside a classroom (the greenroom/backstage area normally).

Largest I can recall would be the Shakespeare I did for college, where on a few of the nights there were easily 150ish people

also, if performing in a competition with the other highschools in my district counts then I've multiple times had to perform for around 600-800 people, but about 75% were the other school's performers
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.