[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck you, I liked it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 6
File: 1430102797273.jpg (18 KB, 220x326) Image search: [Google]
1430102797273.jpg
18 KB, 220x326
Fuck you, I liked it.
>>
>>55946448

You tell 'em, gurl! Fight the majority! Fight for your rights!
>>
creatively self-indulgent horseshit
>dude weed lmao core

this is coming from someone who usually deeply appreciates the works of Paul Thomas Anderson
>>
Great adaptation of a very good book
>>
>>55946593
>this is coming from someone who usually deeply appreciates the works of Paul Thomas Anderson

Wow, that totally redeems your worthless comment.
>>
>>55946681
at least I critiqued the work instead of saying "fuck you, I liked it" like an angry child

this is coming from someone who usually deeply appreciates the works of Paul Thomas Anderson
>>
>>55946681
He is right though. The movie isn't clever, it's not funny, it doesn't have any point to it, it's just lazy. Why can't PTA do something on the level of Boogie Nights again?
>>
>>55946703
at least i strung together buzzwords
>>
>>55946737
Why would he want to repeat himself?
>>
>>55946817
because boogie nights was far better than his last steaming pile of shit

>>
>>55946471
HABAZUUU!!!!!!!
>>
>>55946817
He wouldn't have to repeat himself but the scale of the project. Have an actual story, actual character development, social commentary, whatever the fuck. Instead of this "L0L I WASNT EVEN TRYING XD" "BUT IT HAD THAT 70'S FEEEEELING AM I RIGHT XD BLAZE IT".
>>
>>55946593
>>55946737
sounds like inhernant vice went over your head because you figuratively ducked once you knew the characters did drugs.
>>
>>55946919
my thoughts exactly tbh

>>
>>55946919
Stick to Star Wars, kid.
>>
>>55946737
Boogie Nights is a juvenile film.
>>
>>55946935
The characters can do all the drugs they want, I don't care. It's the director who shouldn't be so blazed off his mind that he can't even tell what the fuck his directing.

I mean he can but it's a pity to see someone as smart and talented as PTA waste himself like that.
>>
The Master 2: The Mastering when?
>>
My only gripe with this movie is that it didn't retain much of the humor in the novel
>tfw it's missing the whole scene where Denis burns a hole in the roof and thinks the Boards vandalized his apartment
Also I don't remember if Bigfoot was supposed to come off as such a closeted homosexual in the book, but his character was probably the most memorable from the movie.
Shasta's tits were disappointing tho, but she had great nips
>>
Is that Harry Potter on the cover
>>
>>55947020
Nah, sorry, but the direction was flawless. The problem with your enjoyment of the movie lies with you.
>>
its a quite walk on the beach
>>
>>55947146
I don't have a problem, I don't have to enjoy every movie. But it's the movie that's objectively bad for being about nothing but a stream of "that feeeling" and yet being so wordy, contrived and tedious.
>>
I think they should have made the ending sequence (including the section where Doc makes his escape and kills the guys) closer to the book, the tone of the movie changes quite a bit at that point.
>>
>>55947294
Earlier I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, inferring that you disregarded the movie's themes because of some desperate straight edge kneejerk response to depictions of drug use.

But the more you post the clearer it becomes that you're actually just, to put it bluntly, dumb.
>>
File: Pynchon is not rused.jpg (30 KB, 344x331) Image search: [Google]
Pynchon is not rused.jpg
30 KB, 344x331
>>55947020
>It's the director who shouldn't be so blazed off his mind that he can't even tell what the fuck his directing.
Did you even attempt to read Pinecone, friendo?
>>
File: Roger Federer.jpg (34 KB, 361x394) Image search: [Google]
Roger Federer.jpg
34 KB, 361x394
>no 20 minute deleted scenes montage on the blu-ray
What the fuck
>>
>>55946919
You obviously can't into art. You want cinema to obbey your narrow preconceived notions of what a good film should be instead of judging it for it's own merits. People like you are the reason why films like Age of Ultron and Transformers keep making billions at the Box Office.
>>
>>55947367
>ur straight edge!
>ur dumb!
Riveting arguments.
>>
>>55947367
And what exactly were the films themes?

It was The Long Goodbye with a lot of weed. At least with The Master PTA pretended like it was about something.
>>
>>55947555
So now you're going to try to pretend you were just trolling for someone to explain the movie to you?
>>
>>55947585
It was a rhetoric question you dolt. I'm simply repeating that the movie had no substance and you're acting all fanboyish.
>>
>>55947097
that was my issue with the film, too. the book is hilarious and the film less so. the cast was spot on and the cinematography was great, i think the fault lies in PTA's adapted screenplay.
>>
>>55947629
You're objectively wrong and a hundred different websites will lay out the movie's themes for you, if you actually want that.
>>
>>55947684
Okay, I see you're getting upset so let's just drop it.
>>
>>55947646
>>55947097
I slogged through the book recently and I didn't really find anything funny except the sequence with the druggies staring at the heroin package like it was a TV because it came in a TV.

Whereas the movie pretty much perfectly captured what I was able to wrestle from the book.
>>
>>55947710
It's big of you to concede defeat.
>>
Fuck you, you liked it.
>>
Literally The Big Lebowski and The Long Goodbye Had a Baby: The Movie
>>
>>55947646
>>55947097
i thought the humor was pretty well translated considering most of the funny moments in the book wouldn't translate without narration explaining the joke. there was more than enough narration in the film as it is.
>>
>>55947824
literally thomas pynchon's inherent vice: the movie
>>
>>55947429
Is there anything good on the Blue-ray?
>>
>>55947771
I was never fighting you. People enjoy different things, that's perfectly normal. What makes us different is that I don't have delude myself into thinking that the things I enjoy have to be something they're not. You want it to be something more than a Chandlerian detective story with a lot of drug use and 70's cinematography, well fine. But calling me dumb and referring me to other websites instead of continuing a casual discussion is weak communication on your part.
>>
>>55947918
Literally Pynchon Watched the Big Lebowski and Rewrote the Screenplay: The Novel
>>
I bet you deeply appreciate the works of Paul Thomas Anderson
>>
>>55946625
This.
Remember when everyone bandwagoned this film, singing it's praises until the contrarians decided to say it sucked?

And they call Reddit a hivemind which it is, but still
>>
>>55947957
literally i've never read the book and don't remember the big lebowski
>>
>>55946593
>>55946703
>>55946862
>>55946969
Is this the birth of a new epic meme? xD
>>
>>55947988
Literally JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP: the Haircut
>>
>>55947988
It's exactly the same with some shit about Vegas thrown into the mix when Pynchon got drunk and was searching for hookers there.
>>
>>55947971
I only remember it being praised before a wide release.
>>
>>55948030
JUST
>>
>>55948094
Basically, this. The contrarian forces come out in full the moment a decent non-CAMrip is released
>>
>>55947923
>Blue-ray
why u do this
>>
>>55948135
I saw it in theaters. It was a mess.
>>
>>55947771
this is an example of good trolling
>>
>>55948196
He's a big troll.
>>
>>55947971
It's true, though. It's part of the ebb-and-flow of /tv/
>initial excitement/pessimism prior to theatrical release
>theatrical release/mixed reviews
>initial CAMrip plebs giving opinions/contrarians assemble
>decent webrip released/contrarians claim "It's never been good/praised"
>dvd/bluray release/bandwagonning over9000
>>
>>55947939
Its strange how you're trying to take the high road after so many posts that basically boiled down to "I didn't like x because i didn't like it!"
>>
>>55948259
no u
>>
haven't seen it yet, but is it better or worse than the master? i thought the master was horribly overrated on /tv/.
>>
>>55947957
>>55948072
The only similarity between the big lebowski and inhernant vice is ...

well i was going to say drug use, but lebowski was more an acoholic than a drug user.
>>
>>55948184
I personally watched it with PTA and we both agreed it was a mess as well!
>>
>>55948351
>mydadworksforNintendo.jpg
>>
>>55946448
I WOULD REALLY LIKE A GIF OR WEBM OF THE NURSE PLAYED BY BELLADONNA

SPECIFICALLY THE SHOT OF HER ASS IN A SKIRT AS SHE BENDS OVER
>>
>>55948249
How can you even talk about contrarians when the movie has overall mixed reviews?
>>
>>55948294
hey guys pls
>>
>>55948411
At no point did I even claim that IV was good. That formula is interchangable with literally every movie/tv show on /tv/.

JUST
>>
>>55948294
It's about the same. A bit more entertaining I guess.
>>
>>55946448
Congratulations for being a speical snowflake OP

>>55947971
I don't know about you but we all thought it was impossible to adapt this book and it really doesn't work as a film.

The book is worth a read.
>>
>>55948466
I'm confused.
>initial WORTHLESS HYPE before theatrical release
>theatrical release / mixed reviews
>initial CAMrip / mixed reviews
>decent webrip / mixed reviews
>dvd/bluray release / mixed reviews

And then there's crap like the Avengers that somehow received a 99% rottentomatoes score that got me to watch it.
>>
>>55948310
It's exactly the same story. But other than that, they're totally not the same!
>>
>>55948575
not him, but i think he was illustrating the fact that contrarians have a heavy influence here

and normally folks that MAY enjoy the movie are turned off of giving a movie a chance, and/or too afriad to be called a pleb for stating their personal opinions on a Vietnamese Vaseline forum
>>
The movie is about the circle of corruption that ties government to criminals and the ordinary people who get chewed up and spit out by it.
>>
>>55948659
I must have missed the part where the main character of inherannt vice is mistaken for a rich old man because they have the same name.
>>
The novel was stellar.
As an adaptation, it sucked.

The saving graces are a great performance from based Joaquim & ever more based Bigfoot. Plus, it's super comfy
>>
>>55948767
>the main character of inherannt vice is mistaken for a rich old man because they have the same name.
>posters think this is important to the story of The Big Lebowski or what it's about
>>
>>55946919
the cover of this book makes it look like its gonna be real boring right? like its gonna be some old-timey literature that'll put you to sleep?
well guess what muthafackha! this is thomas pynchon. he's a respected canonical writer, yes, but he also writes the most fucked up crazy shit you'll ever read in your damn life its so crazy. this is like tim & eric: the book my friend. this is not your granddad's literature. this is not hemingway or shakespeare. this is some fucked up shit. there's drugs.
>>
>>55948162
Shit, sorry. I don't have one (so I never bring them up) so I was going off of what I hear.
>>
>Adapts Pynchon
>Hasn't read Gravity's Rainbow

Really, Paul?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZfs22E7JmI
>>
>>55948833
I also missed the part where the protagonist of inherent vice was a bumbling nobody as opposed to a reasonably competent private detective.
>>
People who hate this movie overvalue plot. This is a masterpiece of comedy and characterizations. It's a more fun depiction of a time period that was actually quite depressing.
>>
>>55948987
>the protagonist of inherent vice was a bumbling nobody as opposed to a reasonably competent private detective.
Pynchon's character was a bumbling nobody though. And Lebowski was competent enough to figure out the ruse by the end, although being powerless to have any effect on the matter.
>>
I didn't understand one thing in the movie, why did Doc suddenly scream when he saw the babby's photo?
>>
>>55949089
thats like your opinion man
>>
>>55949089
I guess you missed the part where doc sportello accomplishes everything he set out to accomplish.
>>
This movie reminded me more of a Robert Downey, Sr. film than anything else.
>>
>>55949182
All he cared about was Shasta. Then out of guilt, he helps reunite the one guy with his family, but ultimately he accomplished nothing. His relationship is in the same state that it was by the end.
>>
>>55949102
That was meant to be a funny moment. That whole talk he's having with that lady is crazy and over-the-top. Her story about how she met her husband was hilarious.
>>
>>55949382
It was definitely very funny, but the talk sort of implied that the baby had come out disfigured due to weed (or something along those lines IIRC) but then at the end we see that she's perfectly normal.
>>
>>55949231
you're reaching pretty hardcore, dog.
>>
>>55949102
I don't recall too clearly but wasn't she showing him what heroin did to her breast milk?
>>
>>55949491
What? Explain how. It seemed pretty obvious to me that all Sportello really was invested in was getting back with Shasta.
>>
>>55949472
Yeah. To me it was very reminiscent of old 70's comedies where there's these moments of wackiness and characters acting really over-the-top out of nowhere.
>>
I don't see my father very often, but we went to see this movie together.
He left halfway through because he couldn't follow the story
he came back after about 30 minutes, but it still felt shitty
>>
>>55949182
>I guess you missed the part where doc sportello accomplishes everything he set out to accomplish.
Not really. The arc of the wealthy missing person resolves itself with or without his help.
>>
I thought the movie had a lot of neat little touches people wouldn't notice if they weren't Pynchon fans. Joaqim phoenix's character lives in Gordita beach in a house with a dutch door, which is a reference to the house Pynchon lived in in Manhattan beach while he was writing GR.
>>
>>55950013
*resolves
Idiotic of me.

>a lot of neat little touches people wouldn't notice if they weren't Pynchon fans.
That was something of the problem. I'm not historically illiterate, but the references were overkill. The Manson stuff in the cab was a turn-off regardless of whether it concerned Hollywood at the time or not. I know I know more about that than most Millennials by far, but it isn't needed.
>>
>>55950816
>>55950200
>second paragraph
>>
>>55948162
PLEES LEE ME ALOHN
>>
The movie was pretty straight-forward and the confused/patchy story and atmosphere was really neat.

Probably bit on the more mediocre side when considering PTA's experience with camera, I mean it wasn't shot badly but not really exciting either (save for that beach shot between the houses oh god I love that)
>>
>80% of posts are how the movie was about nothing or was about drugs or how it was the Long Goodbye

good fucking christ this board sucks.
>>
>>55951896
It was better than The Master as far as I'm concerned.

Political relevancy effects my judgement tho
>>
>All of the little subtle facial expressions of Phoenix.
>All of the not-so-subtle body acting/language of Brolin
Hilarious fucking stuff.
>>
>>55952032
>>55952032
CUCKS BEWARE
>>
>>55952054
>>
This >>55952032 and this >>55952072 were toppest kek moments. As well as the "F-U-C-K-I-N-G-ing" exchange. The acting was really great.
>>
>>55952313
I really hope they will star in another movie, they played really well off each other.
>>
>>55952313
lel I liked when he was tellin Phoenix that Shasta "was gone"
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.