[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does /tv/ rank the pirate sequels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Davy_Jones.jpg (709 KB, 1182x802) Image search: [Google]
Davy_Jones.jpg
709 KB, 1182x802
I don't compare any of the potc sequels to the original, it's just too high above any of them and completely different. I do like the other movies a lot though. For me its:

>Dead Man's Chest- just an awesome movie. A lot of people hated it and thought it was too convoluted and hard to understand, but I think you'd have to be retarded to not be able to follow it. It had a lot of atmosphere leading up to Davy Jones, cool special effects, and a lot of Disney fun. Out of all of them, this one felt the most like a theme park ride brought to life imo.

>At World's End- just pure spectacle. I only didn't like how pointless Chow Yun-Fat's role was, and how the whole Davy Jones plot kind of fizzled out when the East India Trading Company basically neutered him. Final ship battle was incredible.

>On Stranger Tides- really wanted to like this one more, but it fell flat. I appreciate what they tried to do, 'grounding' everything and making it more of a straight up adventure flick than an epic fantasy, but it just failed to be compelling whatsoever. Blackbeard could have been so fucking cool, the actor was good, he looked badass. If only they made him a physically imposing and a real psychopath who snaps necks and beheads his own crew, but instead they gave him a fucking magic sword to TIE PEOPLE UP WITH. cmon Disney, the third one featured children being hanged, you can't tell me Blackbeard being brutal is too much for your audience after that. Also, sets looked incredibly cheap, you could tell most of it was filmed on a sound stage.
>>
>>66566094
I like 2&3, though they're not close to the first ofc.
Hate, and I mean absolutely hate On Stranger Tides
>>
Dead Man's Chest - 9/10 - the only problem is "to be continued" ending
At World's End - 4/10 - filled with cliches, Davy Jones degrades from possibly the best character to little bitch.
On Stranger Tides - 0/10 - I refuse to call this shit potc
>>
>>66566094
The same director made the first 3, and tried really hard to make 2&3 these big sweeping epics, but didn't quite pull it off. Everything to do with Davey Jones was boring and pointless, Will wasn't an interesting enough character for me to give a shit. His arc was over at the end of the first movie.

I'd rewatch the first movie anytime, 2&3 were worth watching once but never again, 4 wasn't worth watching at all. They recognize they want to make more Pirates movies and don't know how, we're 4 movies in with a 5th on the way and no character is remotely as interesting as Jack.

Barbossa, maybe, but not after the first movie.
>>
>>66566094
1 is a 8/10
2 is a 6/10
3 is a 4/10
4 is a 2/10
>>
What the fuck are you doing OP your post is way too reasonable for /tv/ fuck the fuck back off to reddit.
>>
>>66566363
>>66566382
why is 4 so bad? I honestly don't even know, but nothing seems to work.
At first I thought that it was that they maybe used Sparrow too much, but he had plenty of screentime in 2&3 that was a lot better than this.

>>66566410
I like your ratings, sir. I might notch 3 up to 5, though in my book an 8 is a really really good movie.
>>
File: 1451791390622.png (346 KB, 797x390) Image search: [Google]
1451791390622.png
346 KB, 797x390
4 is crap. Total crap.
>>
File: 1446339529292.png (3 MB, 3500x3673) Image search: [Google]
1446339529292.png
3 MB, 3500x3673
I fucking hate Orlando Bloom. Dead Mans Chest is the only movie I somewhat enjoyed.

Besides the water wheel segment. That is honestly the worst 20 minutes of film I've probably ever seen. It was absolutely terrible in every way. I was squiriming in my seat waiting for it to end.
>>
I'm ready for the next one. Stranger Tides really disappointed.
>>
File: 1448513502141.jpg (44 KB, 708x708) Image search: [Google]
1448513502141.jpg
44 KB, 708x708
1 - Classic/10
2 - do you fear death/10
3 - lol
4 -
>>
1 : 9/10
2: 7/10
3: 8/10. Barbosa and Jones carried this.
4: 4/10
>>
>>66566094
>A lot of people hated it and thought it was too convoluted and hard to understand, but I think you'd have to be retarded to not be able to follow it.

it had like 6 fucking plots going on at once and kept focusing the the worst characters in the movie, portrayed by the worst actors in the industry
>>
Black Pearl was GOAT
Dead Man's Chest was pretty good
At World's End felt like it was too big for itself. Still not bad.
I honestly couldn't get into the fourth. Maybe I was having a bad day at the time or something but twenty minutes in and I just couldn't stand what was happening, haven't gone back since. Should I?
>>
all = shit
>>
>>66566094
1st was pretty good
2 was decent
3rd was meh
Didn't even know there was a 4th.
>>
4 made me realize how sexy pregnant Penélope Cruz is
>>
>>66566094
This is a good example of how can things go bad

It's comparable to STAR WARS

First is good second its as good or even better but after that it becomes a fully commercial family shit
>>
The Curse of the Black Pearl - 10/10
Dead Man's Chest - 8/10
At World's End - 7/10
On Stranger Tides - 4/10

Solid series desu
>>
>>66566094
I go 1>4>2>3 but I'm aware I'm in the minority.

2 was a let-down, 3 was worse, and 4 was an improvement. I think where 2 and 3 fell down is that there's just not enough interesting story in there for 6 hours of entertainment, whereas 4 is a nice little self-contained adventure, a quick romp with Jack and Barbossa.

I'd probably go something like
1 - 9/10
2 - 5/10
3 - 3/10
4 - 6/10
>>
One was good. Two was okay. Three was a continuation of two.

Four, whether or not people want to admit it, was exactly like one. Which is what Disney was going for.
>>
>>66566467
>At first I thought that it was that they maybe used Sparrow too much, but he had plenty of screentime in 2&3 that was a lot better than this.
It's not that he had too much screen time! just that there were no other real main protagonists to balance it out.

That said, I really liked 4, more than 2 (haven't seen 3). I don't understand the raw hatred for 4. 1 is in a league of its own though.
>>
>>66570357
this, I quite enjoyed 4 for what it was, less epic

also Penelope Cruz was more tolerable than the English bitch
>>
1-7
2-8
3-9
4-8

Did anyone else love this entire series? I probably sound like a normie or something but the whole series was fucking cumfy as hell.
>>
I only liked Dead Man's Chest, the creature designs and interconnected plotlines were well done

shame they butchered it in the next movie
>>
>>66570357
I'm >>66570405 and I completely agree with you.
>>
I despise Dead Man's Chest, such a waste of Davy Jones
>>
Pros:
>great sets
>overall good action
>lighting and photography is actually better than the original
>expanding the fantasy universe was a good idea

cons:
>increasingly focus on the worst characters, who were only fun in the first movie cause it was just mocking them the whole time
>too long and often boring
>east india company had potential but ended up being a really boring villain
>le bad guys are now our friends bullshit

And I'm ignoring the fourth one cause it isn't a real Pirates movie.

#1: 10/10, one of the best adventure movies ever
#2: 6.5/10, lots of fun
#3: 4/10, has its moments but sucks overall
>>
I love the 1st and 2nd one, if only the 2nd one could end when Depp jump into the Kraken, it would be a superb movie.

#1 : 7/10
#2 : 8/10
#3 : 5/10
#4 : 5/10
>>
>>66566094
The battle scene in the third movie could have been awesome if it wasn't for the "wedding".
I fucking hate keira knightley and orlando bloom
>>
Imo, the first is flawless
The second is pretty good, it felt a lot more tropical than the first, Davy Jones and his crew had great design, lore, music and the Kraken scene on the merchants ship was 10/10. Cutler Beckett was boring though and the ending was mediocre.
The third had some fantastic scenery, but the plot fell to pieces. Jack never felt truly mad, Will kept betraying everyone, Davy being Cutlers bitch lasted too long, the wedding seemed forced, all the eitc ships retreating was retarded.
The fourth had some good ideas but ultimately didn't live up to the first or second. However the mermaid scene was one of, if not the best scene in the entire franchise.
>>
The first film was pretty much a perfect high budget summer blockbuster but the sequels fell trap to the same thing that kills all sequels to unexpected successes. They thought the success was in the parts of the film rather than the execution of those parts.

>overexpose the breakout character and give Depp 30 minutes of entirely pointless screentime totally to himself where he mugs and hams it up and talks to himself

>bring back literally EVERY character from the first film and give them pointless arcs despite the fact that they were designed to be one-note characters

>In-joke, wink at the audience, sly reference to previous film, In-joke, wink at the audience, sly reference to previous film, ad infitum.

>over-explain everything that was left mysterious in the first film (and should have been left mysterious)

>replace the perfect simplicity of the first plot with an overly complicated plot featuring thousands of twists and characters with hazy or nonsensical motivations

>that dirty fanficy feeling: every character is the Chosen One, everything is Destiny, every trinket or knickknack from the first film is an item of great importance and will CHANGE THE COURSE OF HISTORY.

>everything is epic: tasteful ship-against-ship battle with emotional core is now a big budget overblown CGI fifty thousand ship against fifty thousand ship battle where the audience doesn't even know who to root for anymore

>nothing is simple: No longer about adventurous pirates sailing the high seas and a simple curse. It's about Pirate Lords, each with their own magical pirate ship, sailing with literal god of the ocean.
>>
File: ciAAYYYYYLMAO.jpg (380 KB, 757x720) Image search: [Google]
ciAAYYYYYLMAO.jpg
380 KB, 757x720
Governor Swann, I'm East India Company.
>>
>Dead Man's Chest
It was pretty good, best acting of all the movies, the "not much happens in it" meme is dumb
>At World's End
Pretty good ending though it got a bit too ridiculous at times, as if the movie was trying to one-up itself at every turn

>On Stranger Tides
fucking garbage desu senpai, Jack Sparrow works as icing on the cake, not the cake itself. You can't have a full movie of his antics without something to otherwise keep the movie grounded.

Dead Man's Chest and At World's End had the best CGI ever and On Stranger Tides had fucking terrible CGI despite having a bigger budget

Orlando Bloom is awful and Keira Knightley is terrible at her role, if you replaced them with more charismatic actors and less cheesy dialogue this would've been a GOAT trilogy contender
>>
>>66566094
I actually love 1 and 3. Didn't care for 2
>>
>>66566094
I love all three.
>>
>>66571905
I'm curious if you made that for this thread or if you already had that saved and ready to post
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.