[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The only good thing about the film was the cinematography and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9
File: Rooney-Mara-Carol-Fashion.jpg (126 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
Rooney-Mara-Carol-Fashion.jpg
126 KB, 800x534
The only good thing about the film was the cinematography and the acting, the rest was cringeworthy and totally empty.

that said, why is Rooney in the Best Support actress category when she clearly was playing the main character on the film?
>>
Same reason Alicia Vikander is in Supporting, I assume. Better chance of winning.
>>
File: 1452418575830.jpg (209 KB, 1050x618) Image search: [Google]
1452418575830.jpg
209 KB, 1050x618
>>66464225
I saw Rooney Mara at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told her how cool it was to meet her in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother her and ask her for photos or anything.

She said, "Y-you too."

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" while trying to talk to her but she kept shuffling away and staring into the distance and fiddling with her fingers in front of me. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard her sob as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw her trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen SpaghettiOs cans in her cart without paying.

The guy at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Ma'am, you need to pay for those first." At first she kept pretending to be normal and hear him, but eventually turned back around and told him that she didn't know how stores worked.

When he took one of the cans and started scanning it multiple times, she stopped him and told him to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and swished her cape. I don't even think that's a normal item of clothing. After he scanned each can and put them in her cart and started to say the price, she kept interrupting him by saying that Kate had the money.
>>
File: rooneycaterape.jpg (90 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
rooneycaterape.jpg
90 KB, 500x750
>>66464225
It's a an Academy Award thing. Category fraud is what it's called.

They do it because Cate has more pull as a lead actress than Rooney.

Also Cate fucking groped Rooney in public and got away with it. Are they dating? Roon looks so gay.
>>
File: 1435568877584.jpg (20 KB, 406x395) Image search: [Google]
1435568877584.jpg
20 KB, 406x395
>The only good thing about the film was the cinematography

So you're saying you liked the pretty pictures?
>>
>>66464397
Well, yes. You know that photography is an art too right.

I bet you are one of those plebs that watch films for the plot
>>
>>66464363
DELETE THIS
>>
Cinematography was bland as hell though
Not to mention that dark shit filter
>>
>>66465505
>i don't know what i'm talking about
>>
>>66465529
When was the last time you went outside?
>>
>>66464363
CUTE
>>
>>66465565
Way to prove your point, friendo
>>
>>66464225
If I'm correct, you cannot nominate two actresses for the same film, so it was divided.
>>
So their excuse is so they not compete with each other?

Lame, but ok I guess.
What about Alicia Vikander getting Supporting Actress nom for The Danish Girl? That was some bs
>>
>>66465505
>not being enthralled by the constant game of crystals and vapor, or how well it detailed the wateriness of eyes
>not being amazed by that first, almost abstract car ride of desire

Do you think good cinematography means grandeur?
>>
File: rooneycaterape2.jpg (94 KB, 540x650) Image search: [Google]
rooneycaterape2.jpg
94 KB, 540x650
>>66465583
>>
>>66465612
Is that what you really think a bright sunny day looks like?
>>
>4 cardboard cutout supporting characters
>kid that meant nothing
>terrible story
>terrible score/soundtrack
>no chemistry between anyone
>no weight to anything
>no resolution, everyone is back at the start and nothing mattered

this film was a fucking joke
>>
>the whole courtroom drama subplot

Why didn't they cut that? It didn't work at all.
>>
>>66465772
>no chemistry between anyone
>everyone is back at the start and nothing mattered

It's like we watched different films or something.
>>
>>66464225
The score was also very good.

Cate Blanchett's so ugly though.
>>
>>66465717
>>not being enthralled by the constant game of crystals and vapor, or how well it detailed the wateriness of eyes
No idea what you're talking about. What are crystals and vapor?

>not being amazed by that first, almost abstract car ride of desire
Isn't that more about editing than cinematography? I'd had liked it more if it had any color along with the rest of the film.
>>
>>66465713
yeah which is already weird because then you could make the same argument for why there is even actor / actress (and before someone gets triggered i mean that from a logical point of view, no gender/sexism bs) since you still can have the main actor and main actress coming from the same movie.
>>
>>66465505
>filter
>what is film
>>
>>66465862
Why is 16 mm so dark? Is that why digital is preferred?
>>
>>66465881
16mm is dark because it's small and therefore it can take less light in.
>>
>>66464225
I didn't like the cinematography that much in this film.

Felt too clamped and claustrophobic.
>>
>>66465905
Then why isn't Super 8 exclusively used by Tyler Perry?
>>
>>66465837
How it used crystals and vapor or water to change shapes in variation to the moods of the characters. I believe the film uses a lot of visual motives based on water.
Cinematography is the mixture of editing and photography.

By the way, I don't know what you're talking about with the dark filter, I went to watch it on the theater and the colours were vibrant in that sequence. Maybe is the rip a bit shit, as with The Assassin?
>>
>>66465950
>How it used crystals and vapor or water to change shapes in variation to the moods of the characters. I believe the film uses a lot of visual motives based on water.
Where?
>>
>>66465809

Maybe you just got sucked into bullshit oscar bait, the film is empty.
>>
>>66465983
Usually in the car travels, as in the shot of Therese in which the story begins and then ends, or how the shot was framed when Carol took back Therese after fighting with his husband, in which Therese's window was clear but Carol's was full of water, distorting her image. How the illumination of the courtroom scene made the wine a vibrant red in every shot, forming agressiveness; or, well, how it focused on the humidity of Carol's eyes.
>>
>>66464225
Marlon Brando was nominated for Best Actor for The Godfather back in the 70s while Pacino was nominated for Supporting Actor.

It's all politics. The studios are the ones that put up the nominees, and they want to put up the nominees that will give them the best chance at victory. Why put up both Blanchett and Mara in the same category when they can put them in two different ones and potentially win two acting Oscars for the film?
>>
I thought it was very good but too airless. It came off less as a movie and more like an expensive trip through a 1950's-themed restaurant at some points, it needed just a little bit of energy.
>>
>>66466092
well in this case its not just having two main actresses being in the same category but also that if you have to seperate their roles into main and side maras character definitely is the main character
>>
>>66465735
DOUBLE CUTE
>>
>>66464288
i love this meme, seriously
>>
>>66465772
>>terrible score/soundtrack

the soundtrack was pretty good honestly
>>
>>66466603
Both shared protagonism equally, I believe.
>>
>>66465771
>film should look just like real life
>photography can't have his own personality as an art medium

way to spot a pleb
>>
>>66466807
yea i guess, just saying if your life depends on seperating them into categories ... etc blah
>>
>>66466844
Do you also defend teal and orange?
>>
>>66465772
>kid that meant nothing
What the fuck are you even talking about
>>
>>66466882
Sometimes it works, sometimes don't.

At this point orange/blue is more a marketing thing than an artistic preference
>>
>Even the billionaire Mara family could not protect their daughter from the jewish hollywood cabal

how despicable were the acts perpetrated on her innocent little body and mind?
>>
>>66466919
Obviously, one of the cruxes of the film and of woman's emancipation towards what they want to be is pointless.
>>
>>66466966
Better than getting blacked
>>
because homosex
>>
>>66466966
They took away her legos and forced her to eat something else than sweet, sweet dino nugs.
>>
>>66466994
>implying the jews didn't film the merciless black male breeding sessions with sweet little rooney's broken body
>>
>>66466972

>one of the cruxes of the film

>ignored
>ignored
>mentioned
>ignored
>lost, went on a trip instead of fighting
>ignored
>didn't try to get full custody at all
>>
>>66467050
Why do you make up such elaborate fantasies?
>>
>no webms posted yet
>>
>>66467071
>fantasies

if only they were mere fantasies
>>
>>66467118
Why are you so delusional in your fantasies?
>>
>>66464363
>Are they dating?

Nope, but Roon is deeply in love with Cate and Cate somehow gives her a pityfuck when Roon does her enough favors. Think uberbitch and beta orbiter relationship only with two girls,
>>
>>66465772

how to spot a pleb

bet you think 'Elf' starring Will Farrel is masterpiece of cinema
>>
>>66467532

How to spot the idiot

>ad hominem
>>
>>66467653
>using my arguments as arguments against me!
>AD HOMINEM!!!!!!!!

LOL
>>
>>66467653

Go fuck yourself you double nigger with your fucking fancy words
>>
>>66467062
They didn't need to talk about her constantly to convey how distressed Carol was about not getting to see her. I thought the movie did it very well in very few scenes. And it was really the only reason she had to keep her sexuality a secret.
She didn't want full custody because she didn't think that would be the best thing for her child.
>>
>>66467882
Also, really most of the dialogue is based around her in some way or another.
>>
>>66467882
>And it was really the only reason she had to keep her sexuality a secret
well its the fucking 50s and homosexuality is illegal so i doubt they would confront everyone with that.
what i liked about the movie was that the child plot added enough conflict to it that they didnt feel the need to make the movie into some annoying homophobia guilt debate thing.
>>
File: SpotTheLesbian.jpg (145 KB, 691x1024) Image search: [Google]
SpotTheLesbian.jpg
145 KB, 691x1024
>look its a forced dom sub lesbian relationship
How revolutionary, how deep. I don't understand who the fuck thought it was a good idea to nominate this movie
>>
>>66468372
people with better taste than you have
>>
>>66468372
the funny thing is that this was the hollywood attemp of doing Blue is the warmest colour.

How different is the american and the european vision of the same issue.
>>
>>66468562
>homosexuality between teenagers in the 21th century
>homosexuality between adults (one being married having a child) in the 50th
>same issue
dont even care if thats bait
>>
>>66468615
>I'm a retard that can't pick out a common general idea from specific examples
>>
>>66468679
its not the same issue. youre simply wrong.
>>
>>66468679
Not him but calling Carol the hollywood attempt of doing Blue is the warmest color just because they're both about lesbians is pretty fucking dumb.
>>
File: DOB_FINAL.jpg (118 KB, 1013x1500) Image search: [Google]
DOB_FINAL.jpg
118 KB, 1013x1500
Infinitely superior film about dom/sub lesbians.
>>
>>66468807
>Relationship between 2 girls of opposite social classes in a hostile enviroment with a lot of homophobia

Yeah, they are totally different films.

In the american versiĆ³n they just wanted to add the parenting and divorce drama because apparently in hollywood they just can't make a thrilling movie just about people and relationships.
>>
>>66468679
Saying Carol is anywhere close to BitC is just over generalising. Pretty much idiotic.
>>
>>66468615
>>66468807

You guys haven't watched blue is the warmest color right?
>>
File: Carol - Sad Rooney.webm (3 MB, 1280x692) Image search: [Google]
Carol - Sad Rooney.webm
3 MB, 1280x692
>>66467108
>>
>>66465772
>>terrible score/soundtrack

How is this bad?

https://youtu.be/v162MTr_RPM
>>
>>66469341
>>66468807
>>66468795
>americucks that can't into subtetly

not impressed honestly
>>
>>66464225

I felt that acting was supposed to fill the void of indistinct screenplay and chemistry between Cate and Rooney was enough to be the core of the film. Actually, the biggest disappointment for me was that I didn't get to taste enough of their relationship how beautiful it was.
>>
>>66469412
Carol. Based on The Price of Salt, published 1952.

Blue is the Warmest Colour. Based on a 2010 comic.
>>
>>66469599

>one song

Now play all the parts where they put on some jarring ass christmas song.
>>
>>66470498
That argument is a null as the other one. It amazes me that a critique on grasping at straws as hard as this >>66469310 has to be responded with source material. Carol is nowhere tematically close as BitWC, since it doesn't make social class a important part of itself, but age and experience in oppression, thing that is pretty much obvious to anyone that has seen the film. Just see how Carol interacts with Therese, for the love of christ.
>>
>>66470498
So what, the adaptations differ a lot.
>>
>>66470699
>it doesn't make social class a important part of itself,

Neither does it Bitwc

>but age and experience in oppression

This is the fucking central theme of bitwc, what the fuck are you even talking about.
>>
>>66466603
blanchett's already won a couple of oscars, whereas mara is more of an up-and-comer. it's all about competitive factors.
>>
>>66471721
blanchett is a great actress, but she sucked here
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.