[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Martin Scorsese Presents Restored Masterpieces of Polish Cinema
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: ashes-and-diamonds_feature.jpg (256 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
ashes-and-diamonds_feature.jpg
256 KB, 1200x675
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNhNDrXJyvA
I recommend you movies from that list.
"Scorsese is a long-standing admirer of Polish cinema who, in his work with actors and cinematographers, refers to Polish films from the 1950s. "I often showed Wajda films to different producers in Hollywood" he said, "and they couldn't believe it because they had never seen anything like it before." About Wojciech Jerzy Has, he used to say that alongside Fellini, he is the only director who managed to show a different dimension of the screen. In the 90s, the American director and his Film Foundation helped save the crumbling film stock of the Saragossa Manuscript. Unfortunately, the technology of the 90s wasn’t yet advanced enough to allow for digital restoration. But thanks to Francis Ford Coppola, Jerry Garcia (from the band Grateful Dead) and Scorsese, Has’ film came out on DVD in the United States, Canada and Great Britain. In 2007, under a team of Polish experts, The Manuscript was digitally restored, re-mastered and subtitled."

More: http://culture.pl/en/article/scorsese-restores

About the restoration process: https://vimeo.com/98125096
>>
>>53582096
It's amazing how good Polish cinema was under communism and how crappy it became under capitalism.
>>
>>53582096
Based Martin Scorsese he is a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
The Hourglass Sanatorium

trippy as fuck

https://vimeo.com/63878305
>>
>>53582200
>Poland
>capitalism

But yeah it's the same here in Czech Republic. Since it's more available now everyone thinks he is artists and master storyteller. Worst part is the most of these talentless hacks are at least partly financed by government grants to support their shitty art no one wants to watch. I can't name single worthwile Czech (or Slovak for that matter) film that came in past couple of decades. They should just restore stuff from 60s and before.
>>
File: 0003K34J74XHKFH6-C116-F4.jpg (55 KB, 625x351) Image search: [Google]
0003K34J74XHKFH6-C116-F4.jpg
55 KB, 625x351
"The Deluge", one of the greatest historic movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfhvt1zrfU
>>
>>53582401
If only he could make a decent film himself
>>
File: BTT461571_kul4magnusek.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
BTT461571_kul4magnusek.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
>>53582641
>implying there aren't good post-89 Czech films

There are.
>>
The Saragossa Manuscript is a masterpiece.
>>
>>53582200
>>53582641

Post-89 Poland had some pretty great comedies and that's it. Maybe a few small movies. Unfortunately but Polish movies under communism were great. I'm especially interested in historic movies and there are just so many good ones about medieval Poland and even about the II Republic and WWII (many of them of course with some commie propaganda but not all of them). There are just so many gems.

captcha: attoc
>>
File: Image.jpg (99 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
99 KB, 660x371
>>53582751
>>
>>53582711

Is it possible to find this anywhere?
>>
>having a shitty diamond and ashes version for years
>this happens

THANKS SCORSESE, YOU ARE MY GREATEST ALLY

Also Wojciech Jerzy Has was god tier
>>
>>53583456
>diamond and ashes
both - the book and the movie are a piece of communist propaganda
>>
>>53585416
Wajda is a rat faithful to the government no matter what.
>>
>>53582200
Guess you need to be under a horrible economic system to make good movies
>>
>>53582735
I know you are trolling, but just in case:
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Departed
The Aviator
Cape Fear
Goodfellas
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
The Color of Money
>>
>>53585624
It is a proven fact, that an artist, the poorer he is, the most masterpieces he will produce.
If they ever get rich, their quality plummets.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.