[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tark/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
where to start with tarkovsky? Stalker? Sacrifice?
>>
Why would you start with his last film?
>>
>>52872859
I've just heard its his best. thanks for the answer though
>>
With their first album, like you would any artist.
>>
>>52872882
He directed less than ten films, all of which are highly acclaimed. I suggest just watching them in order of release.
>>
Stalker/Solaris -> Andrei Rublev/Ivan's Childhood -> Nostalghia/The Sacrifice -> The Mirror
>>
>>52872859
Why wouldn't you?
>>
>>52872914
His style also got more developed as he went on, I imagine the later ones could be hard to grasp if you're unfamiliar with him.
I've only seen Andrei Rublev, which is generally his most acclaimed film. I would highly, highly recommend it
>>
Can anyone help me find a god quality rip of Stalker? I just find shit tier dvd rips without subs
>>
>>52873827
there's only dvd rips available right now, but they're releasing it on bluray this year.
>>
>>52873856
But do all of the rips look as terrible? I mean, on letterboxd the cover image looks neat quality-wise
>>
>>52873827
>British distributors Artificial Eye have informed us that they have re-licensed their Andrei Tarkovsky catalog and are planning to release a number of films on Blu-ray.

>Preliminary release dates are yet to be announced, but the first titles are expected to arrive on the market in Q2.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15450

Can't wait.
>>
Start from the beginning.

He's fucking dead and he'll not do more movies, so do it propertly you fucking nigger nerd.
>>
Offret is a haunting masterpiece and Tarkbrosky's best.
>>
watch all of them in order. seriously

>>52873957
that's correct
>>
>>52872898
And for Bergman? Fassbinder? Woody Allen? You can only see their films in chronological order?
>>
>>52873927
It will take them forever to make it
>>
>>52874166
yes, if you want to understand them.
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 900x900
Here ya go m8
>>
File: hari sol.jpg (61 KB, 800x787) Image search: [Google]
hari sol.jpg
61 KB, 800x787
>>52872882
His best film is Solaris. It's just so beautiful. After that I'd say Nostahlgia or Ivan's Childhood.
>>
>>52874207
That makes no sense.
>>
>>52874302
Please. Tarkovsky himself said it was his worst.
>>
>>52872949
This better be the order to watch and not a rating.
If the former, this is perfect.
>>
>>52874381
Can I get a link on that.
>>
>>52874381
The filmmaker's opinions on his films don't affect my own. I still think it's his best.
>>
>>52874444
>>52874444
He's said it many times both in his books Sculpting in Time and Time within Time. I'm not about go to looking through them to find the exact quotes. But here's this.

>In the autobiographical documentary Voyage in Time (1983), Tarkovsky says he viewed Solaris as an artistic failure because his film did not transcend genre as he believed his film Stalker (1979) did due to the required technological dialogue and special effects.
>>
>>52874381
The film was way, way under budget, so it stands to reason that it didn't turn out exactly how Tarkovsky originally envisioned it.

Also
>basing your opinions off of other people's opinions
>>
File: Z.jpg (34 KB, 339x475) Image search: [Google]
Z.jpg
34 KB, 339x475
>all these plebs haven't even watched his crowning achievement and claim they know shit
>>
>>52874589
From what I understood, it was just too scifi for him. In retrospect, he wished he could've made it without it.

If you agree with the opinion what does the source of it matter?
>>
>>52874620
I pity your b8ing skills.
>>
Guys, I want to become a better director than Tarkovsky.

I'm 20 years old. What should I do to ensure I grow up to be the best director of all time?
>>
>>52874890
fuck a dog
>>
>>52874890
Watch as much shit as you can. Good shit, bad shit. Lots of good shit though. Specifically his own top 10. Read about him and the directors he loved (Bergman and Bresson). Read Tarkovsky's books. Read anything about the aforementioned directors. Then create something from the heart as he did.
>>
Something I found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0stXu60iVE (1:35) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3eeyLQ164 (2:06). Gave me strong feels when I saw the movie and recognized it.
>>
>>52872840
i started with stalker. had no problem understanding it or loving it

btw, Stalker is finally getting a Blu Ray Release this year from Artificial Eye. However, it's only in a box set and even though I own the criterion solaris i might get the box set anyways just for the rest and for Stalker
>>
>>52874980
yup, this post pretty much contains everything you need to know about being a good filmmaker
>>
>>52874444
U U U U
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.