[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any screenwriters here? I really want to adapt the Elliott Rodger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 17
File: rodger.jpg (109 KB, 970x825) Image search: [Google]
rodger.jpg
109 KB, 970x825
Any screenwriters here?

I really want to adapt the Elliott Rodger Manifesto into a screenplay but I don't know where to start. The reason I'm interested in doing this is because it's such an interesting story but the parts of it that interest people aren't the things about the story that are actually interesting. Someone is gonna make a movie about him (the story is too good to pass up) but it's either gonna be some sort of bullshit cautionary tale or portray him as a "tragic" character. Nobody is going to focus on how he was born into an elite Holywood family or how his parents bought him a Lambo and tried to fly him to Vegas to fuck a hooker before they even thought about counseling.

Any advice? I'm totally serious about this.
>>
Try this half-baked approach.

Two approaches for the same idea/concept/theme/situation is pure bullshit fantasy, the other is stark brutal reality.

Elliot meets a girl. First scene, he totally fucks her or kills her with his laser vision. The next scene, the harsh truth.

I told you it's a half-baked approach, didn't I?
>>
Do you want to actually have the shooting in it? Is that your ending?

It could be a twisted coming of age story. But would glorify him too much. Very hard to do a movie on someone like that.

Your main theme would be isolation. Explore what lack of love does to a person. Start from there. Think about the point where Elliot stops being a sympathetic victim and becomes a deranged would-be serial shooter.
>>
The Butterfly Effect 2: Killing Women Juggaloo
>>
Forget a screenplay. Go for a sitcom. Just edit his vlog to have a laugh track every time he says something awkward.
>>
>>50570127
Can't Dodge The Rodge
I think the perfect ending would be him, packing all his guns, looking at the mirror for the very last time...Deep sigh, he leaves his house, closes the door and then closing credits.
AAAAAAAAAAAAY NEEEED TO KNOW NOOOOW KNOOOOW NOW CAAN YOU LOVE ME AGAIN
>>
>>50570219
I want to make something campy but not TOO campy. It can't be realistic because this story is in and of itself not realistic. Imagine stylized, Fincheresque shots of Rodger walking down the red carpet at the Hunger Games premier seething with hatred while "Monster" by Kanye plays in the background. I want the tone to be like Larry Clark's "Bully", one of my favorite films, where the audience will be disturbed and uncomfortable but also darkly amused.

I'm not going to take the hipster route and sarcastically glorify him but I'm not going to spell it out that it's wrong to murder people. The opening scene will be friends and family sobbing hysterically at the scene with a VO from the last few pages of the book
>>
>>50570505
>sarcastically glorify him
I say, leave the movie without any implied opinions, just show everything the way it is and make audience make it's choice. Or you meant something like Nightcrawler?
>>
AHHH GET OUT THE WAY, HE'S GOT A GLASS OF APPLE JUICE
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOYPSlJ6Svk
>>
File: 1401059273096.jpg (501 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1401059273096.jpg
501 KB, 960x1280
How about you not be a fag for once in your life instead. Go get laid faggot.
>>
Be sure to include his driving back and forth to Nevada to buy lottery tickets.
>>
If you want deep psychological insight in to his mind and what kind of thought processes that lead up to everything then there is a guy named Jordan B. Peterson that really, really, really nails it better then anyone else. He articulates it just perfectly.
Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUJHNPMUyU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxJzWcwcRd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLp7vWB0TeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nX6fevCATI

You should also watch his Harvard lectures. I know its a bit much to ask for you to watch these but I can assure you, if you are serious about this shit then watch this shit because its gonna take you deep down in to the resentful mind and what dynamics and processes that lead to it and so on.
>>
File: magikarp.png (443 KB, 1528x1831) Image search: [Google]
magikarp.png
443 KB, 1528x1831
The Supreme Gentleman is my favorite meme of 2014.
>>
>>50570582
What I'm saying is if I write this I'm not going to take the route a lot of people on this site would take and sarcastically portray him as some sort of anti-hero ("The Rodge") because it's not funny and overdone.

A few more things I thought up:

-The movie will end with the shooting as described. After Rodger shoots himself their will be a montage of his family and the families of the victims grieving with another voiceover from Rodger. "After Hours" by the Velvet Underground will play over the credits.

-The title of the movie will be "A Life of Pleasure and Sex", which is a phrase he uses to describe the life he wants to live at UCSB, after seeing it in the movie Alpha Dog.

-Rodger will be portrayed as a sniveling pussy, there's no other way

-There will be sparse voiceovers throughout the movie, taken directly from his manifesto, since so much of the drama is internal. He's a self-absorbed person so a voiceover is the only way to carry this over.

-This kid was from an elite Hollywood family so there will be some serious Hollywood production values. No "indie film" bullshit, lots of sweeping shots of LA and Santa Barbara. When he goes to Morocco and Paris I want it on location. Since I know nobody will ever film this I'll go as hard as I want.
>>
>>50570701

This is gonna have the lottery tickets, throwing orange juice at couples, getting his ass kicked at a party, listening to his sister getting railed by a black dude, everything.
>>
>>50570830
What about his fantasies about putting all women in a concentration camp and using a select few for breeding purposes? What about buckets of blood and mountains of skulls?
>>
>>50570127
Watch that shitty Jared Leto Chapman movie (Chapter 27). No one likes the perspective of a retarded deranged protagonist.
>>
>>50570782
>The movie will end with the shooting as described. After Rodger shoots himself their will be a montage of his family and the families of the victims grieving with another voiceover from Rodger. "After Hours" by the Velvet Underground will play over the credits.
This will ruin the movie. It will turn it into Uwe Bolls Rampage, all meaning will be lost and it will be unnecessary long. It should end like this, only without this cheesy song at the end >>50570379
Everyone knows what happened anyway
>>
>>50570774

kek

Was this homo constantly carrying around some sort of beverage?
>>
>>50571113
I thought everyone does that, no? I can't even imagine myself without my Skinny Vanilla Bean Mocha Latte
>>
>>50570127
It will be called "The Supreme Gentleman".
>>
>>50570219
Wouldn't it be like Taxi Driver then?
>>
File: 138.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
138.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>50570379
>>
I'd make it very nihilistic, like a Takeshi Kintano film. Minimal music, shots that hang around too long and him crying and screaming a lot.

I'd build it around the alienation he felt and try to give insight into his fucked up values.
>>
File: 1414395345037.jpg (174 KB, 635x1189) Image search: [Google]
1414395345037.jpg
174 KB, 635x1189
Who plays Elliot?
>>
>>50572087
jackie chan
>>
>>50572087
Mario Lopez
>>
>>50572087
Tom Cruis
>>
>>50572087
nice shirt fag
>>
File: Mario-Lopez-Dominic-467.jpg (163 KB, 467x450) Image search: [Google]
Mario-Lopez-Dominic-467.jpg
163 KB, 467x450
>>50572115

disgusting normalscum
>>
>>50572087
Ezra Miller
dubs confirm
>>
I liked that he brought back Drive posting for a day.
>>
>>50570127
Your angle seems better suited for a story based on him and not about him. I just can't see anyone going for this unless you go the typical lifetime movie route where you basically pander to people's idea that he was just an angry virign.
>>
>>50572087
Gael Garcia bernal
>>
>>50572087
zach braff with young people makeup
don't ask me how
just do the opposite of what they did with guy pearce
>>
File: xfiqCir.jpg (78 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
xfiqCir.jpg
78 KB, 832x584
>>50570782
>-The movie will end with the shooting as described. After Rodger shoots himself their will be a montage of his family and the families of the victims grieving with another voiceover from Rodger. "After Hours" by the Velvet Underground will play over the credits.
>>
>>50572531
>your post
>>
>>50570774
le drink splash boy
>>
File: 1402465058197.jpg (222 KB, 1240x786) Image search: [Google]
1402465058197.jpg
222 KB, 1240x786
>>50572563

we can go all day nigga
>>
>>50572087
Michael Cera with black hair.
>>
>>50570127
Make sure you have a scene with him beaitng off an crying to his sister moaning while having sex.
>>
File: trashmaster.jpg (18 KB, 462x612) Image search: [Google]
trashmaster.jpg
18 KB, 462x612
>>50572601
I'll win faggot.
>>
>>50572087
Cillian Murphy.
>>
>>50572087
>>50572151

Is that a woman's shirt?
>>
definitely include the PUAHATE and BB.com shit posting
>>
File: 1414394984756.jpg (124 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
1414394984756.jpg
124 KB, 960x719
>>50572667

$90 usd
>>
>>50572668
What I'd do is every now and then abruptly segue into a black and white montage of rejections, set to 90s grunge with a voice over reading the posts.
>>
>>50572087
Who's that little faggotty guy, with the accent

Sort of hangs out with Rogen & co but it's like he's not cool enough for them

He's in the dragon movies
>>
>>50572400

25 y/o bernal would be perfect
>>
File: MAIN-Elliot-Rodger.jpg (50 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
MAIN-Elliot-Rodger.jpg
50 KB, 615x409
>>50570782
>Rodger will be portrayed as a sniveling pussy, there's no other way

There has to be some sympathy for him. I watched an analysis of how his dad and step mom fucked him up.
>>
>>50572853
Jay Baruchel
>>
>>50570782
You clearly have no understanding Elliot Rodger or the events, you always have no idea how to write a good screenplay

fuck off and enjoy being a failure, leave this story to someone who actually knows what they're doing
>>
>>50570782
that actually sounds fucking awful
>>
File: my twisted world.jpg (363 KB, 1875x915) Image search: [Google]
my twisted world.jpg
363 KB, 1875x915
>>50570127
Hi OP, I already casted it for you, enjoy

BTW: you're doing it wrong, it should be a comedy.
>>
>>50570127
Why would an American use "amongst"?
>>
>>50573147
The past tense of "cast" is "cast."

I agree that it should be a comedy.
>>
>>50573089
Yea I mean it was clear he had no idea how to write a screenplay he even said it himself, I always find it hilarious when someone says they are writing a script or trying to get a screenplay together and they write in specific songs they want to use at certain parts and always have a clear title laid out. Like you have no idea how making real movies works do ya?
>>
Was he autistic or a psychopath? Or both?
>>
Don't buy into the typical media portrayal of him being a monster, but don't go overboard on trying to make him sympathetic. Research and show him as he really was and what lead up to the attack. There were a lot of factors involved, but the primary reason was neglected mental illness.

Also, don't show any aftermath of the shooting, everybody already knows that part, they want to see him alive. End the movie with him shooting himself. You could reference the scene in taxi driver where Travis pretends to shoot himself, but Elliot actually does it
>>
>>50573147
>CR7

lel
>>
>>50570127
It should be like Pain & Gain. Starts off optimistic, but becomes real.
>>
>>50573206
My bad, thanks anon.
>>
File: Phase 1.jpg (329 KB, 1126x474) Image search: [Google]
Phase 1.jpg
329 KB, 1126x474
>>50573231
He should have Elliot doing the voice over of his actual plan while showing the killings, to contrast what actually happened to what he wanted to happen.
>>
>>50570127
I read his entire manifesto and I can confirm that his parents didnt buy him a lambo and his parents didn't send him to Vegas to fuck a hooker.

he did have a life coach/councilor and he inherited a BMW from his mom's boyfriend
>>
File: lit.png (772 KB, 1153x836) Image search: [Google]
lit.png
772 KB, 1153x836
So I take it you've bought the rights to his manifesto? : )

Chapter 27 would be an analogue film and that sucked. The second hand embarrassment of a loser is too much to bear
>>
>>50573440
How do you inherit shit from your moms bf? Did he die and it was written out??
Also is the name of the life coach public info? If so I bet that guys career could easily get fucked after this kid.
>>
File: 500dos.jpg (124 KB, 1246x558) Image search: [Google]
500dos.jpg
124 KB, 1246x558
Do the whole movie like this scene from 500 Days of Summah
>>
File: 1405479151966.jpg (34 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1405479151966.jpg
34 KB, 500x333
>>50573147
>casting Donald Glover in anything
I bet you like his "music", too.
>>
>>50574171
As far as I can remember, his mum just bought him the car. Don't remember anything about it being "inherited".

Also there was no life coach that I can recall but he did go to see a couple of councilors at various points, they are barely mentioned though.
>>
>>50574321
Of course not, it's utter shite.

Really any young black guy would do in that role.
>>
>get the idea to use Down to the River to Pray as the opening of my short film
>script evolves based on this sole choice
>get heavily into writing it, extremely attached
>find out O Brother Where Art Thou used the song prominently
>people will think I just copied it from that movie

Hating life right now
>>
>>50570127
>it's such an interesting story
No it's not
>>
>>50570127
>I really want to adapt the Elliott Rodger Manifesto into a screenplay but I don't know where to start.
first you have to buy the film rights to the manifesto. Because Elliott is dead you might have to contact his parents and ask them.
>>
>>50574789
Wasn't his dad a movie director or something? He'll probably want to keep the rights for himself. In fact he probably planned the whole thing from the very beginning.
>>
>>50572087
Ezra Miller
>>
>>50575091
Well I doubt he intended on his son being a kissless virgin at 22 despite having money, resources, and a BMW.
It just worked out in his favor because a story about a kid like that who was getting laid all the time and never doing anything except partying and drinking would be boring as fuck.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.