[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is your reminder that in less than six months everyone on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 18
File: Faghood.png (166 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
Faghood.png
166 KB, 500x297
This is your reminder that in less than six months everyone on /tv/ will be complaining about how overrated this film and will label it "essential fedoracore".
>>
>giving a shit about what /tv/ has to say about film
>>
>>46496541
This. There will always be contrarians and there always has been since the dawn of time. This is an achievement in film making and enjoying something is not a sin.
>>
Like every other film, then
>>
it's essential liberalcore
>>
Oh no a bunch of teenagers with so little personality they have to define themselves by the media they consume will say mean things about the film I like.

How will I live with myself?
>>
It's shitty liberal Oscar bait not fedoracore. If you think these criticisms are just applied at random then you're too autistic to properly perceive cinema.
>>
getting sick of this viral marketing

linklater really sold out, he must have paid hundreds of thousands for this much viraling
>>
>new movie comes out
>plebs come to /tv/ to talk about it and spew their optimistic and positive opinions about it
>the patrician regular posters either wait for for the rip or are in the minority
>the plebs leave because they have other boards to shitpost on
>all that's left are the regular /tv/ posters
>they usually hate it since believe it or not even pedos have standards
>cycle repeats when the YIFY torrent comes out but forces are more evenly matched this time

It's just demographics. I mean I fully expect it to be on your end of year list as the "epic gem" and you won't be able to explain why without using "feels" (or whatever turns into a buzzword around that time) considering how you've made this thread
>>
>>46496541
This. Stop entertaining autist fags that don't want to have actual movie discussion.
>>
File: 1374101510132.jpg (3 KB, 107x125) Image search: [Google]
1374101510132.jpg
3 KB, 107x125
>>46496307
I can't wait, op. Their tears will be delicious when I put it in my 3x3 list and the tipping ensues
>>
oh wow yet another movie about a middle-class cishet white boy and how hard it is for him to live with all the privilege in his life. oh boo hoo hoo. fuck this MRApist trash.
>>
>>46496603
>>46496669
why is it liberalcore? genuinely curious, it was planning on being one of the only other two films I saw this summer(the other being that guardians in the galaxy film)
>>
File: alre.png (1 MB, 1360x731) Image search: [Google]
alre.png
1 MB, 1360x731
>>46496603
>>46496669
>>46500919
Nevermind, looked to based White to find answers and did
>“Hipster Patriarchy” might be a better title for Richard Linklater’s Boyhood. Depicting a white American male from childhood to adolescence, it celebrates the emblematic figure of American social power. Starting with youth’s inherent innocence and appeal, Linklater gives his protagonist, Mason, centrality in the passing parade of his Texas family (including a sister and divorced parents) and then, ultimately, confers importance upon Mason and his “normalcy.”
>Sure enough, the cultural media have responded on cue: Praising the deliberately mundane Boyhood fits the pattern unconsciously followed by most culture writers (who also tend to be white males) seeking to confirm their own privilege and importance — but without examining it. Some women and men of other races also worship this unscrutinized authority, which partly explains why Linklater’s lackluster filmmaking (from Suburbia, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight to School of Rock and the atrocious Bernie) almost always gets overrated.
>Linklater avoids — or fails at — supplying conventional narrative inducement (save for obvious pop-music cues); his slack, solipsistic self-admiration is exactly what the arbiters of contemporary film culture admire. (Perhaps that’s why they ignored Michel Gondry’s afternoon-in-the-life-of-Bronx-schoolkids movie The We and the I, the best film of 2013.) They esteem Linklater’s pretenses as indie film normalcy — or hipster exceptionalism. Boyhood has been praised for demonstrating Linklater’s fascination with time. (“If cinema was a painting, time would be the paint itself” is Linklater’s imbecile motto for his current career retrospective at New York’s IFC Center.) But Linklater’s bland imagery and presumed “realism” make Boyhood’s running time excessive. It raises that old mumblecore problem: Can a hipster also be banal?
>>
>>46501291

>listening to falsenews
>>
>>46496307
Doesn't really for into the fedoracore motif though
>>
>>46496307
Who is paying money/paying time to watch this now?
>>
>fedoracore
Are you deliberately trying to make this shitty memeword completely meaningless? How is a critically acclaimed film about a kid growing up fedoracore?
>>
>>46501291
>liking Armond for his reviews, not the idea of a critic like Armond
pleb pls
>>
File: Screenshot (9).png (44 KB, 552x246) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (9).png
44 KB, 552x246
>>46503123
>not listening to one of america's most important critics
>>46501339
go back to reddit
>>
File: whitespace.png (31 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
whitespace.png
31 KB, 150x200
>>
>>46503424
The point of Armond is that he is a deconstruction of the modern film critic. If you choose to appreciate him for his individual reviews I guess that's up to you but I don't see the point.
its good enough just to know he exists.
>>
>>46501291
>It raises that old mumblecore problem: Can a hipster also be banal?

I love this guy.
>>
>>46502309
That's what /tv/ calls all good movies.
>>
File: 1389636880137.gif (2 MB, 363x288) Image search: [Google]
1389636880137.gif
2 MB, 363x288
>>46501291
he truly is the last true critic
>>
npr wont stop talking about this
>>
>>46503504
I think he does occasionally have good insights(thats why I read him) but your partially right, you shouldn't treat someone like Armond White or Bret Easton Ellis or even Camilie Pagilia(when she does culture/movie reviews) as normal critics in anyway.
>>
>>46501291
>his slack, solipsistic self-admiration is exactly what the arbiters of contemporary film culture admire. (Perhaps that’s why they ignored Michel Gondry’s afternoon-in-the-life-of-Bronx-schoolkids movie The We and the I, the best film of 2013.)
Armond showing some love to Gondry, one of the purest visionaries working today.
Guy knows what's up.
>>
>The We and I
>good

Fucking nigger. Gets me everytime
>>
I'd rather watch Ma vie en rose
>>
>>46501291
>“If cinema was a painting, time would be the paint itself” is Linklater’s imbecile motto for his current career retrospective at New York’s IFC Center

you will never be able to shit on people the same way based armond does.
>>
more like essential gimmickcore
>>
100% on RT
8.9 on IMDB
99 on Metacritic

Will Linklater win his first Oscar?
>>
File: 3bc.png (356 KB, 680x353) Image search: [Google]
3bc.png
356 KB, 680x353
>>46501291
Armond knows
>>
>>46504121

A gimmick can be bad, or good, it can work, or not work. The word has no impact on quality. The fact you think it does shows how fucking pleb you are. Grats.
>>
>>46501291
So is this guy a typical white-guilter or is hew black?
>>
>>46504194
Nope. All the Oscars this year are going to Intersteller.
>>
>>46504456
he's pointing out the hypocrisy of a lot of white guilters in the media, while also pointing out the banality a lot of them go about pointing it out.
>>
>>46504505
>implying Christopher Nolan will ever win an oscar
>implying the academy won't give everything to Inherent Vice, which comes out at the perfect time for oscar bait
>>
It's a cool thing to like Linklater now, he pretty much replaced PTA as a go-to artsy director for normalfags
>>
>>46504505
They pandered to space shit last year. It'll be something else this time
>>
Why would anybody want to watch a shitty drama about white people and their white people shit?
>hurr 12 years to make
So what
>>
>>46504702
I'm sorry there have only been three good nigger films. And one of them was made by whiteys.
>>
>>46505375
tell me more
>>
How can someone hate something that is universally, unanimous praised? Not even the most contrarian faggot who wanted to watch this movie ironically could dislike it.
>>
>>46496307
>>46505944

Is this out already?
>>
>>46505983
wide release in a week

>>46505944
see>>46501291
>>
>>46496669
There are easier ways to make Oscarbait than spend 12 years shooting a movie.

>>46501291
Anyone who uses privilege as an argument can be safely ignored.
>>
File: 99onmetacrtic.jpg (39 KB, 412x294) Image search: [Google]
99onmetacrtic.jpg
39 KB, 412x294
Is there a higher rated movie on metacritic?
>>
>>46506028
But Armond "I'm contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, I liked Jack and Jill and A Million Ways to Die in The West" White isn't part of the RT elite, he doesn't count as part of the universe.
>>
>>46506069
if thats not an example of an a priori argument, nothing is
>>46506042
he's criticizing people who are using that argument to praise the film
>>
>>46506145
Go to bed Armond, the adults at RT know cinema better than you do.
>>
I haven't ever heard of this movie.
I'm going to watch the trailers, I expect whimsical acoustic guitar and indie crayon scribble font like in a commercial.
>>
>>46506201
muh ad homienem
>>
>>46506145
>he's criticizing people who are using that argument to praise the film
Is he? Maybe he is. These days I just see "privilege" and immediately tune out on instinct.

Hmm:
>(“If cinema was a painting, time would be the paint itself” is Linklater’s imbecile motto for his current career retrospective at New York’s IFC Center.)
Shooting a movie over 12 years takes a lot of commitment, but technically it doesn't have shit on Russian Ark.
>>
>>46496307
fedoracore isn't a bad thing anon
and i don't understad why you care about other faggots says
>>
>>46504505
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>46501291
>Linklater avoids — or fails at — supplying conventional narrative inducement (save for obvious pop-music cues); his slack, solipsistic self-admiration is exactly what the arbiters of contemporary film culture admire.

how can you not love this man?
>>
>>46501291
#based
>>
>>46506042
>There are easier ways to make Oscarbait than spend 12 years shooting a movie.

Nope, the very idea of doing such itself is Oscar worthy. Also, I'm a bit torn. Seeing him age from boy to man is cool and all, but is that it? At least with Korine films about typical white-America there is some kind of catch/plot-point that makes the movie entertaining, but with this movie I have doubts. Does anything happen to him, does he run away from home, does he come out as gay, or join a gang or something? Because watching a young white suburbanite kid grow from boy to man is kind of boring.
>>
>>46508823
I guess the entire thing is either about muh nostalgia or how since he's white it's going to be about muh privilege
>>
I'm going to point and laugh at the people in line for this movie when going to see some capeshit next.
>>
i saw it last night with my parents
i havent related to another film as much
it was executed very respectfully/with restraint

and guys, the MOMENTS!
>>
>>46510604

I bet you enjoy the films of Wes Anderson
>>
>>46510667
hehe, i do indeed
>>
>>46510700
>le enjoying the films of Wes Anderson XD
>>
>>46510723
Rushmore, Fantastic Mr.Fox, and the Royal Tennanbuams I like, but everything else he does would probably be a much better film if he dropped the symmetry
>>
is it only getting such high praise because it took 12 years to film?
>>
>>46511360

Yeah, it's like Ingmar Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage. “It took two and a half months to write these scenes; it took a whole adult life to live". Wow, good job B, here take 5 star review :^)
>>
>>46511399
There some gimmicky stuff like that, that I enjoy just because it's so hard to pull off on a technical level; Russia's Ark for instance
>>
>>46496307
>in less than six months
I do it right now.
It was the most boring movie i watched in the last 12 months.
overrated as fuck
>b-but muh 12 years of filming
>>
>>46511510
water u trieng to prove bro
>>
File: boyhood_poster.jpg (796 KB, 863x1280) Image search: [Google]
boyhood_poster.jpg
796 KB, 863x1280
>>
>>46496307
This is a nice place to discuss and argue about tv and film.

It is not an ideal place to listen to movie reviews. You just can't trust anyone. It's like they have a hidden movie/tv agenda. God forbid they are honest about a decent movie.

Bunch of insecure faggots afraid to like something that may be enjoyed by normal people.
>>
File: ha.png (256 KB, 315x404) Image search: [Google]
ha.png
256 KB, 315x404
>>46511736
>This is a nice place to discuss and argue about tv and film.
>>
>>46508823
Who actually gives a fuck about the oscars? Besides soccer moms and Facebook cunts.
>>
>>46511757
This is exactly what I mean.

Why are you here then? Are you that fucked up that you participate in something you dislike?

Another dishonest, unsocial nerd...
>>
File: pffff.png (152 KB, 258x314) Image search: [Google]
pffff.png
152 KB, 258x314
>>46511736
>This is a nice place to discuss and argue about tv and film.
>>
>>46511828
>implying most people here aren't just Bane posters
>>
>>46501291
Armond is so fucking based.
>>
>>46501291
>all these buzzwords
>>
>>46514328
>not understanding what they mean

keep hating
>>
>>46505944

You're talking about 95 people out of 7 billion.

How could anyone hate a film that 95 people like? Gee, I don't know.
>>
>>46508823
>does he come out as gay

Well that would be fucking original...
>>
File: 1403362583150.jpg (53 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
1403362583150.jpg
53 KB, 400x396
>le epic filmmaking gimmick

this pathetic attempt at trying to be different but lacking the creativity to actually create something unique is literally on par with Nolan's "muh IMAX", Tarr's "muh black and white", Cameron's "muh 3D" or that shitty french movie without sound. I bet it's gonna be Linklater's biggest BO success and win a bunch of Oscars voted by people who didn't even see the movie
>>
>>46496307
It already is fedoracore
>>
>>46516165
This.
Whenever Hollywood successfully manufactures consent over the "universally acclaimed" movies it produces I lose a bit of faith in mankind.
It's subjective. Disliking it is not being hipster or contrarian, it's simply not being pleased by it.
>>
File: BIG BEEF.jpg (41 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
BIG BEEF.jpg
41 KB, 900x900
>>46496307
this movie sucks heres my review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUeQ_PA5Id8

dont waste ur time or moeny
>>
File: checks privilege.png (165 KB, 648x1591) Image search: [Google]
checks privilege.png
165 KB, 648x1591
>>
File: 0495671483432.jpg (208 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
0495671483432.jpg
208 KB, 960x1280
any torrents out yet?
>>
>>46511828
Summer is here holy shit
>>
maybe something flew over my head, but wouldn't being filmed for 12 years of your life change how you react to things thus not accurately portraying "BoyHood"
>>
>>46516368
It's not a documentary
>>
>>46506042
The 12 year shoot thing is already big enough of a gimmick to carry the movie to at least a shit award like best sound.
>>
>>46516368
That's actually part of the movie, a portion is unscripted.
>>
File: b8.jpg (156 KB, 476x734) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
156 KB, 476x734
>drama
>shot over twelve years
>coming of age story
It's basically begging for nominations
>>
>filmed over 12 years
what a shitty gimmick
>>
>>46516666
Why wasn't it released closer to the Oscars then?
>>
What if the boy died? What would have happened to the movie?
>>
File: tim-riggins.jpg (14 KB, 426x373) Image search: [Google]
tim-riggins.jpg
14 KB, 426x373
> come on /tv/ a year ago

"Hey guys I think Linklater is pretty cool."
"Yeah he's dope. Dazed and Confused, Waking Life, and the Before trilogy are great."

> come on /tv/ this week

"Hey guys I think Linklater is pretty cool."
"Overrated shit lrn2film faggot."
>>
>>46516778
No need, they know the appeal will be too strong to be rejected.
>>
>>46516811
they would've cast you
>>
>>46516283
> nobody wants to see this

kek
>>
>>46504560
The Academy hates PTA.
>>
>>46496307
It is an overrated fedoracore movie. Everything by Linklater is hipster garbage.
>>
>>46504505
Are you retarded?
>>
>>46516283
Seems like his argument basically boils down to preferring documentaries to naturalist fiction (plus some checkyourprivilegecisscum). While I can definitely buy that as a matter of personal taste, it's not really much of an argument, and his review doesn't really explain anything about what the film's like that you wouldn't get from watching the trailer.
>>
I just found out about the film from this thread. It seems okay, like something you'd see win at Sundance.

I just don't see where these Salon writers and online bloggers in general get off saying this is a masterfully unique film. It's really not. The themes are completely conventional. I guess shooting over the course of 12 years is the unique feat at play here? Well people should praise that, but the film itself is the same feel-good shit we've been seeing a lot of lately.

With that being said I don't see why people are taking issue with the fact this portrays a generic suburban boy's life. That seems to be beside the point of the film.

captcha: redundancy gddocia
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.