[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come there has never been a decent anime or video game movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 22
How come there has never been a decent anime or video game movie adaptation?

Are they just lower forms of art that can't compete with novels?
>>
>>65078306

Mortal Kombat 1 was good, but that was already Enter the Dragon just with magic.
>>
>anime adaptation
full-length anime is already form of film
>>
>>65078306
Something sometimes doesn't pair well with others. The content of anime is very fantastical and un real

"Oh sword of one thousand spirits, filled with this demon spirit, who belonged to my grandfather, and I'm a demon detective who's actually part fox! My ancestors were gods but now we are farmers so I must defeat the evil wizard *vanishes behind you, slices you with my katana* nothing personal kid."

It's just silly and doesn't mesh well with actual art. It's a children's show
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
I thought the kenshin movies were pretty alright to be honest.
>>
No, because

>medium that relies on lack of physics (anime) does not apply well to a medium which has limits (live action).

also
>Attack on Titan

kill yourself
>>
>>65078306
Because it's either Japs doing them or some Uwe Boll type person in the west.
>>
And oh yeah, when you don't know the source and expecting nothing, they are good.

see Edge of Tomorrow
>>
>>65078437
I thought so, too.
>>
>>65078447
>actually knowing vietnamese children's cartoons
>telling others to kill themselves
tip top cuck
>>
>>65078502
wasn't that just a chinese coloring book
>>
>>65078590

No a light novel aka short story.
>>
>>65078588
...it's written on the image you turbo-autist.
>>
>>65078588

Rejecting a medium because of what it is childish.
>>
>>65078794
Playing video game and watching anime is childish, manchild.
>>
>>65078840
>says the pot to the kettle
>>
>>65078693
>reading words
you sperglord fuck
>>
File: speedracer.jpg (185 KB, 798x1008) Image search: [Google]
speedracer.jpg
185 KB, 798x1008
>>
>>65078794
When you are older you don't find juvenile cartoons entertaining.
>>
File: Flick-Kino Exemplification.jpg (2 MB, 1400x1370) Image search: [Google]
Flick-Kino Exemplification.jpg
2 MB, 1400x1370
>>65078392
>full-length anime is already form of film
Actually, the vast majority full-length anime are mere flicks. Occasionally movies.
Half a percent at best are films.
>>
>>65078306
Maybe the original material was nonsense trash?
>>
>>65078932

That's like, your opinion man.
>>
>>65078986
Don't worry. Most people grow out of anime sooner or later.
>>
>>65078986
Actually that's the opinion of the sane part of mankind
>>
>>65078934
Do plebeian redditors like Quentin actually believe this?
>>
>>65079058
>>65079070

that's like, still your opinion.
>>
Attack on Titan is an adaptation of a manga. There are countless manga-to-live action adaptations, both movies and TV dramas. Anime-to-live action is much less common.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Adapted+to+Movie
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Adapted+to+JDrama

The movie list also contains anime movies.

>>65078447
How does anime "rely on a lack of physics"?
>>
>>65078932
thats cute.

Adults like all sorts of juvenile things, and many needlessly draw imaginary lines to make themselves feel more adult about it. But trust me, there is nothing more redeeming or adult about Two Broke Girls or Brooklyn 99 than about popular anime.
>>
>>65079071
It is simply the truth. Anime struggles to reach the heights of film, it is very rare for the medium to produce anything of artistic merit.
If you cannot accept this, perhaps you should go back to /a/.
>>
>>65079177
>there is nothing more redeeming or adult about Two Broke Girls or Brooklyn 99 than about popular anime.
Except characters that act like real people and aren't just walking fetishies for pathetic neckbeards to masturbate.
>>
>>65078306
Rurouni Kenshin you fucking pleb.
Also the Lone Wolf & Cub movies are all manga adaptations. Tons of other Japanese movies also have their source in manga.
>>
>>65079162

The fact that its animated, anything that happens is not bound by physics.
>>
>>65079058
It's fallacy to think it's something to "grow out of." People who say they've done that watched anime intended for boys and equated it with all anime.

>>65079222
Good thing "artistic merit" is a wholly subjective concept that can mean or not mean whatever you want it to or not want it to.

>>65079246
That's not what anime is like.
>>
>>65079222

Likely you could say this about any medium, but sure, keep echoing unsubstantiated statements.
>>
DankBall: Evolution was pretty sick DeSu

>When you are drunk asf and with your homies
>>
>>65079330
That depends on the animation, but generally speaking the animation in anime isn't particularly unrealistic. It can rely on not having to deal with physical constraints, but live action can and does circumvent physical constraints too.
>>
>>65079414
>you could say this about any medium
No. There is a reason why there are hundreds of film festivals every year and why some films are so praised by the critics.
You can't say the same about anime.
>>
>>65078306

>Are they just lower forms of art

If anime and videogames are a "lower form of art", shouldn't adapting them into movies, a supposedly higher form of art, produce better results?
>>
>>65079513
Anime is one sector of one country's film and television industries, and television shows make up the majority of it. So obviously there aren't going to be hundreds of film festivals all around the world dedicated to just anime.
>>
>>65079605
No.
>>
>>65079333
that's exactly what anime is like
>>
>>65079618
tbqh if anime was any good other countries other then japan would start making some
>>
>>65079513

You say that with you western perspective.

Films are also a much bigger catch-all, compared to a smaller niche animation of style.

But anime has never been targeted at western audiences, and count barely as an after thought.
>>
File: Kek Too Many.png (604 KB, 600x753) Image search: [Google]
Kek Too Many.png
604 KB, 600x753
>>65079246

>Two Broke Girls
>characters that act like real people and aren't just walking fetishies for pathetic neckbeards to masturbate

Holy shit, this lack of awareness.
>>
>>65079618
Even in Japan they don't particularly value anime. Film critics usually ignore it and the last TV series that won Japan Media Arts Festival was Madoka (5 years ago).
>>
>>65078306
>lower forms of art
sure is if its something like One Piece Bleach of Titan
>>
>>65078306
because anime is for children, it's below video games in terms of maturity and storytelling.
>>
>>65079690
>western perspective
You want Eastern perspective? There won't be many anime there either.
>>
Because most of the time these adaptations get bought up by companies who don't give a shit about the source material and churn out the cheapest shit they can, and change everything about the original story thinking they can get "mass appeal" and fans don't matter.

Yet somehow, Resurrection F, in an extremely limited release, ougrossed Evolution's wide release
>>
File: goku.jpg (980 KB, 2700x2930) Image search: [Google]
goku.jpg
980 KB, 2700x2930
Who's hyped for the American Dragonball movie?
>>
>>65079480
this film HAD to be some kind of hollywood accounting stunt.
>>
>>65079222
Nothing on your image is more than a movie though. I understand you're trying to make it a meme as the whole film vs movie vs cinema thing made you insecure
>>
>>65079835

I'm not sure what you mean by that.
>>
>Never seen Mortal Kombat Movie
>Eventually torrent it
>Shit, I downloaded a Spanish Language copy with no subtitles
>Watch it anyways because I gamble it'll make sense anyways

Pretty good movie, maybe one day I will watch it in English.

PS, if you treat the Street Fighter Movie as a Comedy, it gets a pass.

And the Street Fighter anime movie with Chun Li fighting in her panties was one of those childhood moments.
>>
>>65079651
It's not. You are just repeating memes you heard somewhere, or jumped to conclusions based on incomplete, misleading or misinterpreted information.

>>65079669
Other countries did in fact start emulating anime and manga when they got popular (Avatar and Korra are some of the most well-known examples). But there are a large number of obstacles in trying to make "anime" in Western countries, so even if people want to do it it's really difficult (case in point: Avatar and Korra were animated wholesale in South Korea).

>>65079709
Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away won the Oscar equivalent of film of the year. The Wind Rises was the highest grossing film in Japan of its year. Combustible won the Media Arts Festival award for best animation in 2012.

TV anime has been popular mainstream entertainment in Japan for as long as there's been TV anime.

>>65079764
Some anime is for children. That doesn't magically mean all of it is.
>>
>>65079970
You can easily find a list of 250 best Japanese movies according to Kinema Junpo (the oldest Japanese movie magazine). I don't think there are even 10 anime on that list. And most of them are from Miyazaki anyway.
>>
>>65078306
Library Wars had a pretty decent adaption, man.
>>
>>65080012
>case in point: Avatar and Korra were animated wholesale in South Korea
Almost everything is animated in Korea, including anime
>>
>>65078502
Y'see, Edge of Tomorrow was sufficiently different from the source material that you can judge each one independantly.

Personally, the best of Edge of Tomorrow was when Cruise kept getting killed. I mean, it wasn't a bad movie, but that entire sequence was hilarious.
>>
>>65078306
They are for adolescents with juvenile sensibilities.
>>
>>65078930
This. This ovie is in my top 3 of all time. It just tickles my fancy just right.
>>
>>65080159
Only some of the animation work in anime is outsourced to Korea.

>>65080204
Some anime is for children. That doesn't magically mean all of it is.
>>
>>65079848
Again?
I mean, I had no expectations from the first one, and though I wasn't disgusted, I wasn't thrilled.
>>
>>65080159
>>65080255

Isn't that stuff with the "in-between frames"?
>>
Because anime and video games are for children and pedophiles.
>>
>>65080255
>for children
I'm talking about adults with juvenile sensibilities.
>>
>>65080159
>tfw producers starting to deem Korea isn't cheap enough
>seeing a Vietnamese or Chinese name in credits
JUST
>>
I don't know about anime but video games aren't art.
>>
>>65080335
>>65080305

Nobody cares about video games here, we're not /v/.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0pQl7enLPs

MATURE ENTERTAINMENT FOR MATURE PEOPLE
>>
>>65080387
The ones being pro animes are though
>>
>>65080402

literally the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voqsDLKSAQk

>>65080435

Never been to /v/, and never do.
>>
>>65080286
In-betweening is what mostly gets outsourced (and even then, not all of it). The key animator draws the most important, defining frames of the animation, and the in-betweener fills in the rest according to the key animator's instructions. Usually.

>>65080308
Which of course means whatever you want it to mean, and doesn't mean whatever you don't want it to mean. So anything American is definitely not juvenile even if it involves men in colorful costumes beating up super villains.

>>65080402
Sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS2hdT-Zd8Y

It's almost like anime isn't a monolith.
>>
File: Edge-of-Tomorrow-UK-Quad.jpg (1 MB, 1280x961) Image search: [Google]
Edge-of-Tomorrow-UK-Quad.jpg
1 MB, 1280x961
The only true answer
>>
>>65080475
>The Big Bang Theory
Nice, so anime is bottom of the barrel TV.
>>
>>65078306
>Are they just lower forms of art that can't compete with novels?

answered your own question

except for Berserk
>>
>>65080478
>FLAG
>mecha
lol

>10 years old
lol
>>
There's a couple of reasons. First is that unless it's a direct adaptation of an animu movie, you are condensing a 12/13+ hour experience into 2 hours. Imagine someone turning a season of the Wire into a movie, there would be so much lost that even if you weren't familiar with the source material, you would know there was a lot missing.

Second, these adaptations have to date been handed to bottom of the barrel directors so even if they had the best source material ever, there is little chance of the adaptation even coming close to making the most of it.
>>
>>65080536

It's just one example.

The same way The Big Bang Theory is not representative of all tv shows.
>>
>>65080536
>one show represents the entirety of anime
Also you are very pretentious if you think television and cinema have to be super serious 24/7.

>>65080599
>FLAG
>mecha
What about it?

>10 years old
What about it?
>>
>>65080599
>>FLAG
>>good
>lol

fixed

What a boring peice of uninteresting. And don't use the excuse it is a political peice, and not an action peice. The politics were uninspired and basic and the entire thing was just mediocre.
>>
>OP literally mentions video games right next to shitty chink cartoons

Keep trying to fool yourself into thinking your pedo gook flipbooks are any better than video games.
>>
>>65080542
>Berserk
>tfw we can finally stop asking if Guts has arrived at fairy land yet
>one decade later
>>
>>65080618
>What's about it
Mecha is for kids.

>What about it
You struggle to find something that looks mature. I can name more than 100 films from 2015 alone that are more mature.
>>
File: 1438365479519.jpg (927 KB, 1000x3102) Image search: [Google]
1438365479519.jpg
927 KB, 1000x3102
>>65080709
agreed its much worse
>>
>>65080761
I find it extremely hard to belief most people who enjoy video games are severely mentally retarded.
>>
>>65080610
Attack on Titan is actually two movies (the movie version of Madoka is also two movies), and from what I hear they don't even adapt the manga but tell a new story.

Also, a 12 episode anime would be only four hours long.

>>65080682
Moving the goalposts. We weren't talking about quality.

>>65080743
>Mecha is for kids.
No it isn't, and I could just as well say 2001 is for kids because it's set in space and has a talking computer.

>You struggle to find something that looks mature.
It was the first thing that came to my mind. There was no struggle.

>I can name more than 100 films from 2015 alone that are more mature.
The global movie industry is ridiculously huge compared to anime, and mature is a nebulous term anyway. As you just demonstrated by insisting that mecha anime must be for kids.
>>
>>65080682
>The politics were uninspired and basic and the entire thing was just mediocre.
If /tv/ can call Expanse and GoT good with the state of its intrigue, then yes FLAG can be good as well.
>>
>>65080830
GoT is better than LOGH and apparently it's the best political show anime has to offer.
>>
>>65080761
Source 1: Young cannabis smokers run risk of lower IQ, report claims
Source 2: CM Punk Needs to Return to WWE Title Picture After Feud with Wyatt Family
Source 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0o32oYtOXI
>>
>>65080897
>GoT is better than LOGH

I find this extrememly hard to believe, and your use of the term best is vague
>>
>>65080983
It is. The second half of LOGH is laughably bad.
>>
>>65081010
I'll remain respectfully skeptical since I haven't critically watched GoT, jsut passively while my wife does and I sit on the couch with my computer.
>>
>>65080897

I don't think I've seen anyone claim that.

I'd say it is good, but its certainly one of the betters.
>>
>>65081010
By that same logic Game of Thrones also applies. It had a great beginning but the way it is now it is also laughably bad. I dare you to watch any scene with Dany and tell me that that is quality western entertainment.

I don't think anime is better than any other particular media. Certainly it does have a lot of shit to sift through to find the good ones, but that is the same with any other kind of media.
>>
>>65081377
Well, I think anime is definitely worse than live action film. Of course television in general is worse than cinema.
>>
>>65081577
It can be more than a shallow infantile diversion, and it IS art.

Maybe it's not that you're too old, maybe it's that you're not old enough. Maybe you're going through a phase where you violently denounce animation because you're now all totally grown up and shit.
>>
>>65081687
you honestly sound 15
>>
>>65081577
>>65081687
>Debating any subject without agreeing on definition first.

You cannot say that anime is/isn't art without first agreeing as to what art is.

What is art?
>>
>>65081887
There's no need to project. It's not polite.

>>65081950
People commonly accept cinema as art. They also commonly accept drawings and paintings as art. Anime is essentially cinema, but made using drawings and paintings. The animation of anime is also itself art.
>>
>>65082049
You have provided examples, but no formal definition.
>>
>>65082097
People have been arguing about the definition of art for years and years. There is no consensus.

The most simple definition is probably that art is something high quality. A painting, sculpture or movie is called art because it's a very good painting, sculpture or movie with a high degree of aesthetic and/or intellectual quality.

Art can also refer to paintings, sculptures and movies as artforms. All paintings are part of the artform of painting, but not all of them are labeled art, or work of art, if they aren't considered good enough.
>>
>>65078934
The whole flick v film v movie v cinema meme is high octane autism
>>
>>65082322
Also I forgot to say: to a lot of people art just means: "This thing has been blessed by the high priests of academia for whatever reason. I haven't seen/watched/read/listened to it, but if I tell people it's art I'll be seen as a cultured, intellectual and mature adult by association."
>>
>>65079480
>was pretty sick

made me sick*
>>
>>65082337
It started as a joke, and it might still mostly be one, but soon it'll be serious. People will seriously get into bitter shouting matches over whether something is a flick or movie.
>>
>GOT
>better than LOGH in any way

You faggots are ridiculous
>>
>>65082322
>>65082386
I don't want a global consensus. When you debate, the parties debating agree what art is for the context of the debate.

The definition can besomething completely ludicrous, but as long as both parties agree, the debate can proceed because each side udnerstand what each side means when they say art
>>
>>65082322
>>65082386

>The most simple definition is probably that art is something high quality

So, now you can argue "Is anime something of high quality?"

>This thing has been blessed by the high priests of academia for whatever reason

So now you can argue "Is anime something that has widespred critical acclaim across... whoops, we need to select a target audience too. Are we arguing is anime art in North America, Japan, Asia, the planet Earth?"
>>
>>65082784

Not him, but what? You literally said nothing in this post.
>>
>>65082784
>So now you can argue "Is anime something that has widespred critical acclaim across.."
I clearly meant that people are being pretentious, shallow and stupid by only repeating, and appealing to, the opinions of "authorities."

Anyway you're overcomplicating the shit out of this. If cinema, drawing and painting are accepted as art then there's no reason why anime wouldn't be art.
>>
>>65082951
>>65082952
I am saying you cannot argue unless you both have a definition to agree on.

You see, I believe art can only be produced by regulated trade groups, and if anime is created by persons who do not have certification from a governing body that designates them as artists, it cannot be art.

Do you see how debate would be troublesome if we didn't agree on what the definition of art was before arguing?
>>
>>65082337
Being unable to identify satire is high octane autism
>>
>>65083113

This is utter pedantry and you know it.

Your asking for a formality that nobody will agree on.
>>
>>65078306
because anime is UTTERLY shit, and only weeaboos and fags watch it.
>>
>>65083200
*you are
>>
>>65083200
So you and I cannot agree on a defintiion of art for the purpose of classifying anime in the sole context of this thread?
>>
>>65078576
>>65078437
Kill urself my man
>>
>>65083204
Does it frustrate you so much to know that your animation industry has been upstaged so badly?
>>
>>65083257

That wasn't me.

But, as >>65082322 says, art can be defined as something that has a level of effort or originality that academics note that is above the typical waterline.
>>
>>65080761

>Anime is for retards
>Picture made by guy who named his "corporation" after something from Gurren Lagann

Hahahahahaha
>>
>>65083337
Yeah, my personal definition of art is something of great effort.

I was just being an asshole to show how internet arguing is flawed unless you apply actual rules of debate.

Some anime can be art, and some isn't, depending on my personal percieved level of effort invested in the work being considered.
>>
>>65083337
I never said that.
>>
>>65083391
Oh, I missed the word skill too.

Great effort and skill.

If a skilled craftsman can churn it out in five seconds, nah.

If a retard takes 10 years of effort to make something a skilled person can in five minutes, its not arts.
>>
>>65083391

Yeah, that's pretty much the same with me.

>>65083408

You didn't?
But
>"The most simple definition is probably that art is something high quality"
>"is thing has been blessed by the high priests of academia for whatever reason."

Sorry, if that's not you. I was just following the reply chain.
>>
>>65083508
You should have followed it more closely:
>I clearly meant that people are being pretentious, shallow and stupid by only repeating, and appealing to, the opinions of "authorities."
And I don't know people could have misunderstood my post in the first place.
>>
File: 1445365425250.png (176 KB, 504x400) Image search: [Google]
1445365425250.png
176 KB, 504x400
>>65083559

Eh, you miss things if you've been drinking.
>>
>>65082510
Sounds like pc master race

fuck
>>
Art is the expression of the emotions, philosophy, opinions and perception of the creator (also referred to as "the self") through any number of numerous mediums.

It is often judged on the insight and level of its themes and ideals, the originality of the concepts presented therein, and numerous aspects of technical skill that are usually (but not always) specific to the individual medium to which the work belongs.

Works which fail to meet a certain level (often hotly debated on between differing parties) of these aspects is often regarded as having little to no "artistic value", which is often referred to in the shorthand as "not art"

What is wrong with using the above as a general consensus of the definition of art? At least for the sake of discussion.
>>
>>65083754
What is there even to discuss? The guy (who probably left the thread the second he made his post) just hates anime (likely for reasons that have nothing to do with anime itself) and will come up with anything and everything to rationalize it.
>>
>>65083754
WHOA WHOA WHOA

Which sentence is your definition? Just the first one, or all three?

If just the first,

>Art is the expression of the emotions, philosophy, opinions and perception of the creator (also referred to as "the self") through any number of numerous mediums.

That means only the creator can define somethign as art, and any other judgement would be superfluous.

And this opens the door for me taking a shit on a picture of a hairless cat and calling it art.

Hence, why I personal require that the "art" created be the reult of a specific level of skill and effort.

>>65083833
shhhh, we're not arguing about anime anymore, we're discussing what an adequate definition of art is.
>>
>>65080761
That literature section it's literally high school and college freshman tier except for Ulysses.
>>
>>65083954

The whole thing is bait.

It just mixes the bait with a few legit examples to give it creditability.
>>
File: crows.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
crows.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>65078306
Anyone else watched this? pretty fun adaptation of a Deliquent Manga.
>>
>>65083876

>That means only the creator can define something as art

That would be handled in the third section which talks about how art is judged. I think that at its base, "true" or "real" art starts as an expression of the self (which explains why pulpy nonsense that exists solely to make money automatically has no artistic merit), so the creator has probably about as much of a say as the audience does, despite the obvious difference in the size of each of the parties.

I dont claim the definition (which is mine and mine alone) to be perfect, but the topic in question is a nebulous one. I think its a better definition than "everything is art" or "only things academics agree upon", in any case.
>>
>>65083335
no, don`t care about anime or cartoons, stopped watching that shit when i was like 12.

What i don`t get, its why grown men sit around watching cartoons made in chink-land, where every fucking character looks exactly the same and 8 year old girls are wielding swords that are ten times bigger than them.
>>
File: Kentaro Miura.jpg (417 KB, 734x1100) Image search: [Google]
Kentaro Miura.jpg
417 KB, 734x1100
>>65080739
>>
>>65080761
That's not the up-to-date version.
>>
>>65084102
I was unclear as to which phrases consituted your definition, and I thought I made it clear in my post.

Yeah, it boils down to "personal expression+technical skill+ critical appreciation" which I can mostly agree upon. The critical appreciation part I dislike because it is the hardest to quantify. You can compare skill levels, but critic is subjective.
>>
>>65078930
I fucking love speed racer.
>>
>>65084124
Anime and cartoons are two different things.

>every fucking character looks exactly the same
They don't. This is just a meme.

>8 year old girls are wielding swords that are ten times bigger than them
Also a meme. The vast majority of anime has teenage characters, not 8 year olds.
>>
File: kayuga2.jpg (111 KB, 800x437) Image search: [Google]
kayuga2.jpg
111 KB, 800x437
>>65084124
Yeah, because every Otomo, Kon, Oshii, Miyazaki, Takahata, Yuasa etc movies are about 8 years old wielding swords bigger than them.
I admit that the majority of anime is shit, but there are some genuinely good gems buried in there.
Seriously, The Tale of Princess Kaguya must be the most beautiful movie of 2013.
>>
>>65080496
That´s off a manga tho and not a Anime. Decent flick tho.
>>
>>65084649
>flick
Fuck off.
>>
>>65084264

anime and cartoons are two different things?
why becuse the story in soncitruu the defecater has more "deep" story than donald duck?
>>
>>65078306
No player agency. Vidya should always focus on actual gameplay first.

Vidya storytelling is almost always dogshit even when done well.
>>
File: AnimeCharactersLookAlikes.png (284 KB, 798x319) Image search: [Google]
AnimeCharactersLookAlikes.png
284 KB, 798x319
>>65084264
>>
>>65084786

Its over, he posted the only 4 anime ever made. Go home everyone.
>>
>>65084264
Its not a meme you goofy fuck. Its literally the reason animu characters have oddly colored stupid hairstyles and costumes - to make themselves visually distinctive because there are only 6 faces in anime.
>>
>>65084779
Videogames as a medium could be great to tell stories if they know how to directly integrate them to the gameplay, see Papers, Please or Pathologic.
The problem is that most devs don't care or don't know how to do it, so they just put a lot of "cinematographical" moments a la call of duty and cut-scenes.
>>
>>65084861
Why don't you go back to /a/?
>>
>>65084690
Aside from being animation they have nothing or nearly nothing in common, but I guess some people fixate on the animation part and can't look past it. Which is a lot like thinking an amateur porn video shot on a phone camera is the same thing as The Revenant or something.

>>65084786
Nobody said there aren't characters who look very similar. It's just not nearly as common as you think. Male characters also have drastically less versatility than female ones.

>>65084865
So they ARE visually distinctive, is what you're saying. Except, oh, it somehow doesn't count because of some arbitrary logic that says faces have to be distinct all on their own.

By the way, how well do you think people would tell apart American superheroes if they were all bald and naked? Or even just wearing the same clothes?
>>
File: 4t2he1.gif (4 MB, 380x280) Image search: [Google]
4t2he1.gif
4 MB, 380x280
>>65084514
the tale of princess kangeroo?

Holy fucking fuck, i rest my case.

princess, really?
>>
>>65078437
yeh a pretty great trilogy, cool fights
>>
>>65085135
Has your psychiatrist formally diagnosed you with anything yet?
>>
I'm not gonna read this dumb thread.

If you want to watch a LA adaptation of manga watch Kimi ni Todoke. Of course it's shojo romance but it's the only good adaptation of any manga I've ever seen.
>>
>>65085224
You've probably seen a lot more and just didn't notice. Adaptations of manga are a dime a dozen.
>>
>>65080761
>>65084177
I miss Quentin so god damn much
He coulda been the meme hero to end all meme heroes
>>
File: 1377604180601.jpg (277 KB, 900x1727) Image search: [Google]
1377604180601.jpg
277 KB, 900x1727
>>65085090
>Male characters also have drastically less versatility than female ones.

dobut it.
>>
>>65085348
They do, because generally males have short hair and no accessories, and that makes a big difference. I think they're also less versatile in their hair colors. Even as far as clothing goes, female characters have more range.
>>
>>65078306
>novels
>pure text, you visualize everything in your mind
>the film director basically has complete freedom of how to translate the story into a film

>anime/video games
>video, pictures, music and voices are all provided
>the film director either changes everything and fucks it up, or he tries to make things too similar but still fucks up because of technical issues, e.g. people flying through the sky and shooting energy beams looks normal in an animated cartoon, but weird with real actors
The Death Note live action show actually looks pretty good, because there isn't too much supernatural stuff going on on the screen.
>>
>>65085223
coming from someone who watches steroid drag-queens arguing about their power level.
>>
>>65085487
What are you talking about?
>>
File: polly[1].png (268 KB, 848x358) Image search: [Google]
polly[1].png
268 KB, 848x358
I enjoyed the Ace Attorney movie.
>>
>>65078306
Because Anime's visual formual does not translate well at all to film.

Anime just sucks. Can't ever be done as live action
>>
File: 1420620279460.jpg (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1420620279460.jpg
13 KB, 200x200
>unironically defending anime
>>
WB owns the rights to AoT live action movie for the US.

can't wait for this piece of shit to start production
>>
>>65085758
Anime is cinematic to begin with. It uses the same techniques as cinema.

>Anime just sucks. Can't ever be done as live action
There aren't many live action adaptations of anime, and most of them probably aren't good. But how does that demonstrate that anime is at fault?

>>65085895
Why wouldn't someone defend anime?
>>
If you want face diversity, abstract worlds (deep sea world, skyworld, creative Islands), unique battle styles, secret organizations, laws of physics entirely fucked with and cruelty. Do watch one piece, but dont tell me it isnt as much entertainment than watching a masked killer or Cia generic agent movie. Anime, because it is drawn, opens up to creativity in form of visual.
>>
File: 304Kaiji2_Poster-english-media.jpg (150 KB, 886x1272) Image search: [Google]
304Kaiji2_Poster-english-media.jpg
150 KB, 886x1272
I found the Ace Attorney, Kaiji and Death Note live-action adaptions pretty good. It's when things like OP's picture are made purely because it's the flavor of the month and thus it's easy to make anything and make a profit as long as it has Isayama's name on it. I saw the first AoT live-action film twice- once with my little brother and again with my girlfriend- and goddamn if it wasn't the funniest, most terrible shit to come out of Japan since Oreimo.
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.