[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain to me how being one meter above your enemy means you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: High_ground.png (1 MB, 1919x816) Image search: [Google]
High_ground.png
1 MB, 1919x816
Explain to me how being one meter above your enemy means you already achieved victory.

Hard mode: do it without using any meme
>>
>>64546727
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZD-6B1S3qA
>>
I know I am analyzing a movie with magic priests fighting with light swords, but the retardation of the fights is astounding.

Just like the High Ground battle ("IMA JUST JUMP ABOVE A JEDI MASTER FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER. I WON'T EVEN TRY TO KILL HIM AS I AM RIGHT ABOVE HIM. NAH I'LL JUST TRY AND LAND BEHIND HIM, AND HOPEFULLY HE'LL LET ME REGAIN MY COMPOSTURE BEFORE WE CONTINUE THIS OVERCHOREOGRAPHED FIGHT), the duels are absolutely stupid

just going to add another example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU

@ 1:20

>Qui Gon: I'm just going to jump and not even try to stab him as I fall
>Darth Maul: Oh look my kewl as fuck double lightsaber is right besides his legs, if I slightly swing it, bye bye legs

you can go on and on about how fucking stupid these "duels" are. I don't mind the odd sloppiness but this is constant

yes I mad

>inb4 "h-hurr plinkett"

faggot
>>
File: fuck your shit up.png (251 KB, 395x561) Image search: [Google]
fuck your shit up.png
251 KB, 395x561
>be a kid and see star wars for the first time on vhs
>dad tells me that in an interview when the movie first came out, Lucas said that Anakin and Obi Wan had a knock down, drag out fight on top of a volcano, and that Obi Wan threw him in at the end
>be hyped as fuck years later when the fight finally happens
>he slides down a hill and gets a little toasty

When even your father who saw the original in a theater is disappointed, you know you've fucked up.
>>
>>64546827
This is cringey desu
>>
It's not just the height, it's the distance he had to leap to close the gap as well.

Obi wan trained him and knew what move he was going to do, and had his counter already worked out.
>>
>>64546727
terrain advantage
>>
He had the moral high ground
>>
>>64546727
He should have done the sheev-spin trick
>>
>>64547062

>Obi Wan deliberately left exploitable gaps in Anakins training

And they say Sith are master manipulators.
>>
>>64547062

>Obi wan trained him and knew what move he was going to do

So he needed training in order to know that if there is a gap between you and your opponent you should close that gap by jumping?

>what move he was going to do,

I mean what other move was he going to make? Get on the next piece of levitating rock that happens to be going kenobi's way?
>>
>>64547062
>>64547071

They are very far away from each other, nothing prevents Anakin from walking towards him and face him instead of suicide jump. Plus there is, you know, the possibilities of using some of his space priests powers.
>>
>>64546727
>thinking that high ground and terrain advantage is just a meme
>>
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sokan
>>
>>64547142

No, obi just knew the right strike to throw at an opponent jumping from that particular elevation and distance, and knew Anakin didn't know the defence against it.
>>
It doesn't

It's like the prequels totally forgot that saber fighters could also use the force. But nah let's see some gay flip again and some spinny laser swords wooo wooo
>>
>>64547099
THIS
>>
>>64547199
Why do you not like acrobatic swordfighting?
>>
>>64547143

Of course, but Obi knew Anakin well enough to know he was going to pull some stupid flying jump mixed with spinning (a good trick to be sure).
>>
>>64547199
They use force multiple times in that fight though.

Also the force has never been constisently used in any of the six movies.
>>
>>64546911
They had that in the star wars annuals too, literally says that Anakin falls into the volcano in the timeline sections

Made him sound extremely powerful being that he survived that through whatever feat
>>
why didnt he just jump up on a part of the hill where obi wan wasnt waiting to slice him? or just go to the other side of the river?
>>
>>64547337

Because he was an arrogant little shit that thought he could pull it off.
>>
>>64547337
#YOLO LOL
>>
>>64547251
It was in the OT though. It was used sparingly, but the powers themselves clearly could be used multiple times. The difference was only that many of the OT battles were either meant to be lost deliberately or to try turn Luke.

In the prequels most of the fights are vicious battles to the death but almost none of the fights have force power usage in them. Makes no sense to have an extended sword fight when one has the power to end it right away
>>
If Obi Wan believed so much that Anakin was the chosen one, why the fuck did he cut off his legs and arms and left to burn in the lava? He could have simply waited until he turned back to the light side.
>>
>>64547405
He drank too much Buckfast
>>
>>64546727
Because historically on earth (which the person that wrote the movie is from) having the high ground always gives you an advantage in combat. For one You have to go UP hill so you are fighting gravity already. Secondly you can easliy get kicked in yo chest which could cause you to tumble down. The list goes on and on why Having higher ground is always preferred in any combat situation. What are you fucking 12?
>>
>>64547366
But they all have heavy force usage though

ObiQui v Maul
>force to open the gate
>one or two force pushes
>force jumps all over the place

ObiAnaYoda v Dooku
>lightning like 3 or 4 times
>force push twice I think
>force to make the pillar fall
>force to stop the pillar

Yoda v Sheev
>force lightning all over the place
>force pushes all over the place
>sending senate pods at each other

Obi V Ana
>One mutual force push duel
>A few force jumps and spins
>>
>>64547350
This. Overconfidence's a bitch
>>
>>64547463
>force jumps
>force jumps
That's what it boils down to

More time on wires to make the fights look more interesting than they actually are

Lucas can't come up with any creative uses for the force, even though he could have copied the games, comics, books...
>>
>>64547405

He gave up hope. He did seem pretty distraught.

And maybe he never fully bought into the whole prophecy to begin with.
He was against training Anakin at first, and only did it to honour his masters dying wish.
>>
>>64546911
>anakin getting his legs and arm burnt to the bone by lava as he uses his metal arm to pull himself out
>only thing keeping him going is anger and hatred

Would have been cool desu.
>>
>>64547523
Yeah I also felt it was heavily underused and completely pointless most of the time, as it was used to pause the fight and let the audience breathe a bit instead of gaining an advantage against your opponent
>>
>>64546911
>throws him into a volcano
He was a good friend
>>
>>64546727
How does Obi Wan even get back to his ship from here?
>>
>>64547454
But Obi-wan acted like it was ranted victory instead of a advantage, like that whole duel could be ended by someone getting on top of a chair
>>
File: Klegger_Corp_Mining_Facility.png (1 MB, 1450x816) Image search: [Google]
Klegger_Corp_Mining_Facility.png
1 MB, 1450x816
>>64547644
Force jump is handy
>>
>>64547644
He's got Level 25 force jump so he can leap over entire planets
>>
>>64547644

He had a beacon that made the ship auto pilot to him or some shit.
>>
>>64547644
He simply used Teleportation.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Teleport
>>
>>64547366
>It was in the OT though
no kek
>>
>>64548030
Heh that's canon due to TCW
>>
>>64548030
I think Kylo Ren must have done this just before the duel in TFA. Rey and Finn leave the Starkiller Base before Kylo can and yet Kylo appears infront of them in the forest. Also, just before we see Kylo, there is a strange noise which I guess could be the sound of him teleporting in.

Anyone else notice this?
>>
>>64548173
Great response, 'no kek'

What detailed points you brought up to refute me, you brainless moron
>>
>>64547608
almost like it was just a movie
>>
Didn't Mythbusters do something on this? It was actually true and having high ground gives you an advantage
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.