[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This movie was superior to A New Hope. Prove me wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
This movie was superior to A New Hope. Prove me wrong
>>
In some ways it was better and in some ways it was worse.

Overall, I would say A New Hope is better as a standalone film. The pacing is smoother and less frantic, the plot stands on its own and doesn't rely at all on nostalgia, and it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. A New Hope is a classic while The Force Awakens is just good.
>>
I really wouldn't recommend seeing The Force Awakens. I'd probably consider it worse than the prequel trilogy at this point.

The movie us too safe. The plot is almost exactly the same as A New Hope, but without any of the charm that the characters in ANH had.

Rey is a Mary Sue of the highest degree, and never has to face any problem she can't solve in a few minutes. Finn really serves no purpose. Kylo Ren is not a threatening villain, apart from the opening crawl. Where Vader was a mob boss, Kylo Ren us a school shooter that blares Evanescence and Linkin Park 24/7. It's pretty bad when the best character was a storm trooper with a stun baton.

Where humor was attempted, it takes you out of the movie, rather than flowing with it as in previous installments. It's the same humor as any other cookie-cutter movie made today, and those cookies are getting stale.

There's all sorts of references to the original trilogy that make the movie feel like its supposed to be a parody, not a sequel. These references, of course have nothing to do with lore or world-building. Instead, they reference parts of Star Wars you'd know from browsing your News Feed, so you don't have to see previous movies to get them.

On top of it all, the movie can't stand alone, and that's one of the biggest failures a movie can have. The references ensure that you must have some (though not extensive) knowledge of Star Wars prior, and the plot leaves you with questions that won't be answered until the next episode is out.

Oh, and the soundtrack was lackluster. I'd be more forgiving if it had a track on par with Duel of the Fates or Binary Sunset, but it doesn't.

It's a bad movie, but it's not even an enjoyable sort of bad like those SyFy original movies. It's just disappointing.
>>
-takes no risks
-incredibly weak pretty boy villain. even acknowledges his inferiority to vader as the new big bad.
-whole thing is a marketing scheme. new R2D2=new plush dolls, etc. even star wars themed oranges. give me a break
-uninteresting heroes
-more than ever the force is used to explain away plot holes
-no ability to stand on its own. total nostalgia fest. huge chunks of run time are wasted to these moments (i.e. any scene with han solo)
-movie is too long without enough substance to justify its length
-overall lackluster and not daring
>>
>>64417552
Fair enough. The only thing I disagree with is Kylo Ren being a bad villain. I thought him actually turning out to be relativly weak was a nice suprise and better than if they had just made a carbon copy of Vader
>>
>>64417368
>Starkiller bigger than Deathstar and more devastating - superior
>Rey instantly good with the force, other than little precognition Luke needed training - superior
>Rey can fix anything quickly with no tools while Luke fumbles around in his workshop - superior

damn yo you're right.. It's like they took ANH and said okay lets do everything in this but make it bigger and the hero infallibly badass
>
>>
>>64417368
It would not and could not exist without ANH.

So: No.
>>
>>64417638
>-movie is too long without enough substance to justify its length
Holy shit this
It fucking dragged on and on and on
>>
>>64417673
I don't want a Vader copy either, but having the audience feel threatened by him (like in the opening crawl when he stopped that blaster bolt) throughout the movie would have improved the movie immensely. There's many ways to do threatening, and Kylo Ren was not one.
>>
>>64417368
ANH has Darth Vader

What did I won?
>>
>>64417552
>Oh, and the soundtrack was lackluster. I'd be more forgiving if it had a track on par with Duel of the Fates or Binary Sunset, but it doesn't.

the song they had playing in the bar on the one planet with the glasses lady was probably my favorite thing in the whole movie
>>
>>64417368
Seriously saying that TFA is better than ANH is contrarianism.

You could argue that TFA and ROTS have a lot of flaws but they are fun to watch. ANH is in another level, ANH it's the holy grail of pop culture if it wasn't for it you wouldn't had TFA. Not to say all the strong points from TFA were taking from ANH.

Some films are sacred for a reason, the same way all the strong points from the hateful eighth come from Sergio Leone's movies.

TFA is a tribute of the OT, that's the way JJ Abrams intended it to be and while it didn't brought anything new to the table it was a wise decision to star the sequels like this. Now they have plenty of time to expand the universe.

In conclusion OP is a faggot.
>>
>>64418005

Nah Tarantino is just a fucking hack
>>
>>64417638
>pretty boy villain
Guy was ugly as sin. Still can't figure out how he could be related to Han and Leia.
>>
>>64417368
>an imitation that lacked the pacing, charm, excitement or adventure of the original
>superior
>>
two words:

glib facsimile
>>
>>64418005
>Seriously saying that TFA is better than ANH is contrarianism.
Nonsense. The only thing ANH is better at than TFA is the OST. Everything else goes to TFA. Better characters, better action, better pacing.
You can say ANH is better for factors that are external to the experience of watching the movie, like saying it's much more influential and original, but treating it like a holy, untouchable film is silly.
>>
File: 1442451719186.png (137 KB, 394x381) Image search: [Google]
1442451719186.png
137 KB, 394x381
>>64417552
>Beta faggot Darth Vader wannabe
>Brit slag lead
>Superior
>>
File: 2deep2smug.jpg (74 KB, 625x547) Image search: [Google]
2deep2smug.jpg
74 KB, 625x547
>>64419769
>A glib facsimile
>>
>>64419960
meant for
>>64417368
>>
>>64419935
wew
>>
>>64419935
You could argue for characters and action, but pacing? A New Hope had nearly perfect pacing. It won an Oscar for its pacing.
>>
>>64420169
It drags on painfully until they meet Han. In the seventies that might have been considered tight pacing but these days its way too long for the movie to get going.
>>
>>64417368
I bothered to watch ANH
I didnt bother to watch TFA
Therefore, ANH is superior
>>
>>64417368
Red Letter Media liked the movie and they are never wrong. If you thought this movie was bad (along with The Dark Knight Rises, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Interstellar) then you have shit taste.
>>
>>64417368
TELL THAT TO KANJIKLUB
>>
Call me childish but Alex Guinness was the reason ANH was the second best.
>>
>>64418005
Yet this thread is full of contrarian opinions on TFA. Sure, it wasn't that great, even in my eyes I see that, but it was the most enjoyable thing I've seen in a while
>>
>>64421444
This
>>
>>64417536
>>64417552
>/tv/ : the posts
>>
Binary Sunset
>>
>>64417552
>worse than the prequels
nah
>>
>>64417638
>more than ever the force is used to explain away plot holes
THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.