[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Released the same week as Meme Wars so the laymen wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: tbs_1-sht_teaser.jpg (863 KB, 750x1110) Image search: [Google]
tbs_1-sht_teaser.jpg
863 KB, 750x1110
>Released the same week as Meme Wars so the laymen wouldn't notice it
Pretty shrewd of Hollywood, I must say.
>>
>>64356718
The 2008 financial crisis is well-known in common thought though; at least where I'm from. The movie also left out focus on the people who took out the risky loans, which was very clever. They show the Spanish man who was renting from a land lord who took out the loan to present someone who wasn't implicated, but they needed to also show more people like the stripper who were taking out tons of risky loans without any knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>64356884
>but they needed to also show more people like the stripper who were taking out tons of risky loans without any knowledge on the subject.
Yeah but she was just dumb. The bankers were preying on people like her. Also they sort of explained how it all spiraled out of control with the Selena Gomez scene.
>>
>>64356994
I don't remember the specific documentary, as there are a few on the subject, but I recall one where they visited a 'tent city' which had sprung up in the aftermath and the general consensus among the homeless was that they accepted that it was partially their fault.

Yes the system allowed it, thanks to people like Bill Clinton and the resulting non-regulation of derivative markets, but you can't just absolve stupid people of their stupidity to be honest. It's not their inherent nature, people just took the word of the predatory lenders and the rating agencies at face value.
>>
Hollywood lost a lot of money because of the recession. LA Jews don't like NY Jews
>>
That's a big short.
>>
I just finished watching this and i thought it was fucking amazing. whats most amazing is the fact that i didnt know who directed it prior to watching it, i looked up the imdb page and the guy who directed this only did some cheesy comedies with will farrel and steve carel. i mean what the fuck how did this adam mckay guy went from that shit to this great movie?? did he do 10 lsd and changed his perspective, what the fuuuck.

This is definitely the film im rooting for a the oscars.
>>
>>64358144
Stepbrothers was a deep movie mang.
>>
>>64358144
The comedic style worked very well in the film. It's as the equivalent of a cool, shit-talking teacher trying to explain things to morons. The movie also felt very commercial? If that makes sense? It worked in context of the plot.
>>
>>64358144
I don't think it'll do well at the Oscars. Maybe Adapted Screenplay is the best shot it has. None of the performances were particularly memorable and the editing was (in my opinion) atrocious. I did enjoy it though, not as much as Wolf of Wall Street but only because I understood the reasoning behind WoWS more for some reason.
>>
>>64357317

I love how Bush gets blamed for the recession when it was literally Clinton who repealed Glass-Stegall and told the banks to go party while riding off into the sunset before it all came crashing down.

And I love how Americans are dumb enough to put Mrs Clinton into office when her some of her major donors are Wall Street.
>>
>>64356994
Typical neoliberal trash.
>oh the dumb strippers just a victim
>she can't be blamed for not reading the terms of her loans
>she can't be blamed for not knowing the risks
You are responsible for you. Deal with it.
>>
>>64358144

>cheesy comedies

Anchorman, Talladega Nights, and Step Brothers are fucking brilliant though. It's like people don't understand that it's actually difficult to make a good comedy. The switch to drama was probably easy as fuck for McKay, he's been a great filmmaker for years, and this time around he didn't have to go for a big laugh in every single scene.
>>
>>64359793

How did the repeal of Glass-Stegall cause the recession?
>>
>>64359879
but why do the bankers get to distribute these predatory loans with impunity and a drug addict can't kill himself with heroin without the cops breathing down his neck? Same principle, right?
>>
Just saw it, MOTY for me
>>
>>64359926
It didn't singlehandedly cause it, but it was the reason for a large amount of the damage that came about. It's repeal allowed a typical commercial bank to become involved in higher-risk activity with banked money, which in tandem with the other elements of the crisis allowed many people to lose money.
>>
>>64359926
Also if you're interested in the aspect of predatory lending, look into Clinton's other blunder when he rewrote the Community Reinvestment Act. It caused increased lending to low income areas as a form of progressivism. Needless to say, as explained in the movie, lending en masse to those who may not be able to repay is not wise for the economy.
>>
File: Yourewelcomeamerica.jpg (33 KB, 321x497) Image search: [Google]
Yourewelcomeamerica.jpg
33 KB, 321x497
>>64358144
>>64359158
>>64359226
>>64359347
Adam McKay is a talented and smart auteur, was head writer during one of the best SNL runs (and mentored Tina Fey) but film critics are typically too stupid to give any serious merit to mainstream comedies makers. Especially Will Ferrell's brand of "dumb" comedy. However, there was always an underlying socio-political conscience in all their projects: The Campaign ("satire on modern American elections and the influence of corporate money"), Anchorman (satire on journalism and chauvinism), The Other Guys ("The end credits are accompanied by a series of visual displays of the magnitudes, methods, and principal actors of various licit and illicit financial doings of the financial crisis, such as the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme, Goldman Sachs, AIG or the Troubled Asset Relief Program"), Step Brothers (thematically very similar to Idiocracy, showing how infantilized and retarded American society has become), You're Welcome America (Bush satire), Talladega Nights (satire on redneck culture and over-sponsored medias)

He's up there with Parker & Stone, Mike Judge, Larry Charles & Baron Cohen, and Hazanavicius (who also made a serious political drama as his last film) as the best socio-political comedy filmmakers working today. And although these guys aren't the best visual filmmakers (compared to say Wright or Anderson), they have a solid understanding of the medium.
>>
>>64357615
My favorite line
>>
>>64360045
the banks would have gone belly up. we would have had the bankers jumping out of windows. we would have been scraping them off the streets if the government hadn't bailed them out. failure is the only regulation that works. and it most definitely would have sucked for the little guy too, and it is definitely true that people die because of economic contractions. thats the business we've chosen.

the war on drugs btw is a massive failure
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.