[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it what was the relevance of the girl in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
I don't get it

what was the relevance of the girl in the yellow dress, what relation was she to the first bf?

if you pass it on through having sex why didn't it pass on to Greg straight away like it did to Jay?

how come the first bf could see Jay's vision in the abandoned parking lot after they have sex?

how come the thing that went into Greg's house went in a man and it was his mum who answered? and how come she could see that one too?

why did she bang the three dudes on the boat?

why did she bang paul?

were they being followed in the end?

how come a gunshot didn't kill the girl in the lake or the man the first time in the pool? what was with all the blood?

what was the relevance of who these visions are? did greg really think it was his mum?

why did greg's follower jump on him then shag him to death?

why was Jay's dad the last follower in the pool at the end (I assume it's her dad he's in a family photo of them)

jesus christ what a shitty film

made the thread again because I had to go away and couldn't reply to the previous thread's posts
>>
>>64287547
also:

why was one of them like 7' tall, one pissing herself and one a small boy? who were these people?
>>
>>64287547

Your last thread, an exact copy of this, just died. In it, all of these things were explained and you didnt engage in any conversation. Why make another?
>>
You make the thread again, I'll post the answers again.

1. If you pay attention, she's the girl in the picture with Hugh. So he probably gave it to her.

2. It took its time getting there. The shit walks, you know.

3. Once you have it, you can forever see it, hence how Hugh picked out that girl Jay couldn't see at the movie theater.

4. It changes shape, a lot. Again, once you have it, you can always see it.

5. Pass it on to buy some more time.

6. He earned it, and passed it on anyway just in case his master plan failed.

7. Unknown. The movie is very ambiguous about many thing, which leads to people shitting on it. Funnily enough, there are the exact same people that bitch that a movie is too explained out, as in "C'MON MAN HOW COULD THEY KNOW THAT?" Some faggots are never happy.

8. You'll notice water plays a prevalent theme throughout the movie. Jay gets real thirsty after catching it. That one Follower form is dripping wet and pissing. After seeing it, Jay gets real thirsty again. Perhaps water is it's kryptonite? Like, had to be shot in the water or something? Again, I don't know. The movie is purposely ambiguous.

9. Proving you're one of those faggots I mentioned in Seven.
>>
>>64287685
can't you read you fucking mug? I had to go away and when I came back the thread was dead and I couldn't reply

so in the last thread people were saying it's an allegory for AIDS/death
>>
>>64287728
so what role do you think water plays?

there's also two new questions in the OP
>>
>>64287747

End of childhood/innocence and death, yes. According to the director, we lose the innocence of childhood the moment we know that one day we are going to die. This point is reinforced by Hugh wishing he was the little boy at the movie theater, without a worry in the word. Fart Friend even says at the end in the hospital, reading from her stupid clamshell, that the worst thing in life is knowing that one day you will cease to live. The Follower does not represent AIDS/an STD, despite being passed on through sex. One of the points we lose childhood is when we become interested in sex and start having it. The having sex is a sign of no longer being a child. The Follower represents your impending death now that childhood is over. It's not like this is some deep shit. It's as shallow as a kiddie pool and the director beats you over the head about this repeatedly.
>>
>>64287747

It's an allegory for STD's and mortality, yes. Hope you're able to stick around for this one. Also hope you're able to watch movies better in the future.
>>
>>64287896

Didn't notice. Sorry. I'll answer the new questions in the OP first.

10. It fucks him to death because, as stated before, sex is a sign we are no longer children. You get it by sex, it kills you by sex. Again, ambiguous, but that's what I put together anyway.

11. You're correct in your assumption. It took on the form of her dad. That's why she didn't want to say what she was seeing. Why did it take that form? To fuck with her, plain and simple.

As to your also:

12. Just some of the many shape it takes. We may never know who they are, or were.
>>
>>64287547
The score is rad tho, especially the theme
>>
>>64287940

Seems like the movie was a little too advanced for you.
>>
>>64287932
>>64288045
interesting, that does makes sense

but these people are not children, I don't see why the realisation of death would hit them so suddenly when they're 16-21ish and why it plagues them like it does in the film. Pretty much everyone knows they're going to die but they're not horrified by it to the extent these people are by their followers
>>
>>64287547
Every point you made here is either explained in the movie or is too straightforward to need an explanation.
>>
>>64288113

Oh, does it really? How, I wonder?
>>
>>64288185

see

>>64288113
>>
>>64287623
>why was one of them like 7' tall, one pissing herself and one a small boy? who were these people?
You are literally the type of moron who gets constantly mocked on this board because you have no concept of symbolism.
>>
>>64288284
cheers m8

care to step down from your ivory tower and enlighten me as to what they symbolise?
>>
>>64287547
This is a literal dummy.
>>
>>64288165

Of course our main cast isn't children. That probably wouldn't have sold many tickets. The movie was a metaphor for the whole dying thing.
>>
>>64288639
>The movie was a metaphor for the whole dying thing.

I agree, to an extent. It's a bit broad. I contend it's about STD's and the related dread and pathos, as they're more prevalent these days than ever before. Almost everyone thats sexually active has HPV that can lead to cervical and other cancers.
>>
>>64288832

Hey, I'm just saying what the director specifically said what he was aiming for in his themes and shit. I can definitely see why people say it's about STDs, but when you look past that you can see the whole death/dread/innocence shit. Honestly, it was a good movie that gets way too much hate around here due to the shilling and whatnot. Easily an 8/10. Not the best horror movie I've recently seen, though. Not even close.

That would be Berberian Sound Studio.
>>
>>64288943
>Hey, I'm just saying what the director specifically said what he was aiming for in his themes and shit. I can definitely see why people say it's about STDs, but when you look past that you can see the whole death/dread/innocence shit. Honestly, it was a good movie that gets way too much hate around here due to the shilling and whatnot. Easily an 8/10. Not the best horror movie I've recently seen, though. Not even close.

agreed
>>
>>64287932
>The Follower does not represent AIDS/an STD

Or it does, since you've not made a single argument on how it doesn't fit.
>>
>>64288943
>Not the best horror movie I've recently seen, though

got any recommendations?
>>
>>64289250

I have actually. See >>64287932
>>
>>64289270

I can't recommend Berberian Sound Studio enough. If you like giallos this movie is a fucking love letter to them. Has some of the best sound fx I've seen in a movie in years.

Sadly there haven't been a lot. Babdook was a colossal disappointment. Housebound was equally shit.

Bone Tomahawk was good, but don't know if you'd call that strait up horror.

Gonna get shit for this, but I actually liked As Above So Below, but bear in mind I'm a MAJOR catacombsfag.

I can't remember the name right now, I think it was The Shrine, about the guy that meets the girl in Europe, that was great. As was Starry Eyes.

Circle, while not strait up horror, was like one long episode of The Twilight Zone.

I have high hopes for Witch, but let's wait and see on that one.
>>
>>64289471
No, you argued how it could represent something else. I'm asking you to prove why it couldn't represent sexually transmitted diseases.

Because I can think of several reasons why it doesn't work as a metaphor for death, despite whatever the director intended.
>>
>>64289611

Oh yeah, more found footage shit.

Afflicted was great. When you find out where the movie is going, it's one of the best of the genre, and I'm not talking about found footage.

Also Found Footage, The Borderlands was great. Wonderful slow build, and the ending was completely off the rails.

Two more FFs, both takings.

First, The Taking of Deborah Logan. Very unsettling the way it unfolds, and the ending scene which you've probably seen in .gifs here already is still worth it if you've seen said .gifs.

The Taking of Michael King is a great possession flick. Not the most well done, but I liked the down to earth, skeptical approach the protagonist used at the start of the movie, and how he slowly lost control of everything.
>>
>>64289676

I've made my arguments. Why not you make yours now. I've stated why I think it's about our inevitable deaths, with reasons, why sex is involved in the equation, and the director backing me up.

Now you tell me why it's solely about STDs, and try to use more arguments than "They have sex."
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.