[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOW TO FIX REY THE POST I like many people think that Rey was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
HOW TO FIX REY THE POST
I like many people think that Rey was implemented poorly in the new Star Wars movie. What I propose is a sort fo compromise. So I'll go through some of the main concerns/complaints about what Rey should or shouldnt be able to do.
>Beats up 2 guys
Im ok with this. Jakku is a rough place and she grew up there. She can beat up some guys with a stick.
>Fixing the falcon better than Han
She grew up scavanging star destroyers and shit. She also knew about mods that Han didnt install.
>Flying the falcon
Pretty sure she said she flew before. People with a connection to the force tend to be good at flying because of better reflexes. Im ok with this too. Even has a small hint shes force sensitive. "I felt the shot etc."
>Lukes saber calls her
First time the force is obvertly brought up with Rey. This isnt a thechnique and more of an instinctual thing. Its ok.
>Mind reading Ren
This is when I start having problems. With no training she shouldnt be able to probe someones mind because he did it to her. Just resisting it would be enough to show shes strong with the force.
>Mind Trick
She should not be able to used an advanced technique with no training. Maybe have Finn and compny save her here.
>Pulling the lightsaber better than Ren
Again shes untrained. Shouldnt be able to use the force better than dark Jedi.
>Beating Ren with a saber
Its a stretch but Ren is pretty fucked up. Its more about the way she did it.
>The hurr durr the force moment
Why would she calmly meditate and channel the force as a jedi. Id use this moment to set up an inner conflict. Have her get pissed and use the darkside ROTJ style. It would give her something to work on in the next movie and it would be interesting because our hero is better at using her negative emotions than the villian. Maybe even set up a posdibility of them swapping sides.

Tl;dr Rey shouldnt be able to use the force as well as she did.
>>
Sorry about spelling errors. On phone
>>
Here's thee thing: Rey is not "the new Luke." She's a new thing to SW altogether: she is a Saint of the Church of the Force.

The OT was a tale of the trinity: Father, Son, Holy Force. The battle of who would be the true messiah, the father or the son, powered the entire OT. Resolving with a united trinity: Redeemed father, messiah son, Holy Force over-arching all.

You don't re-make a universe in which the messiah is already come. You populate such a universe with a church, and the new church with priests and saints. Everyone swallowed Max Von Sydow as church priest without batting an eyelash. How can those same fans miss so obviously that Rey is Agnes of the Force?

>Patron Saint of young girls
>Patron Saint of rape survivors
>Patron Saint of chastity
>Patron Saint of the Children of Mary (i.e. Children of Schmi Skywalker)

It's so obvious. Go back and look how many times they gave her a halo. Pic related.

>>64196978
>>
>>64201359
Personally, I'd attribute her performing better then kylo to the fact that he isn't 'in balance' with himself. Sure not the perfect excuse but better than 'muh natural talent'
>>
>>64201894
That kind of makes sense as to why she beat Ren. Still doesnt explain how shes able to perform the technique in the first place.
Im pissed becauae the movie was almost incredible. Chemistry between Finn and Poe was good. Ren was an interesting character. Old Luke looked all wise and shit. They just make Rey into a perfect mechanic/pilot/jedi with no room for development.
I am hoping for Rey and Ren to switch sides but I doubt thats likely.
>>
>>64201359
she's so cute oh my god.

The problem with ther character isn't that she break the "rules" she is just too overpowered at multiple skills from the first movie with no experience.

ps: she's so CUTE in that pic!!!!!
>>
>>64202096
Luke does the force pull on Hoth without any training in force pull. It's not that weird. The only legit beef is the mind trick.
>>
>>64202259
But he had been training with Ben and there was time between IV and V where Luke had time to practice.

And Luke didnt out force pull a saber from Vader or anything.
>>
>>64202150
>she is just too overpowered at multiple skills from the first movie with no experience.

"Too overpowered" - According to what rules?
>>
>>64201359
Kylo Ren was just a screwup. He was dicking around in her memories that were entirely unrelated. If anything, he just left open a vulnerability in his mind because of incompetence that she exploited. And needed trial and error to get mind trick to work even when she had known what she was trying to do.
>>
>>64201359
>Maybe have Finn and compny save her here.
Them saving her would have been the same as raping her you fucking pig.
>>
>>64202346
But how did she know to try it in the first place without ever being taught it?
>>
>>64202488
Han Solo's old man ramblings and thinking of how Ren was poking in her head.
>>
>>64202488

Because she picked it up from Kyle.

Kyle's hole character is that he's a fuckup.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle is Han's son while Rey is Luke's daughter.
>>
>>64202346
>>64202488
The Force is a spiritual thing. It was left intentionally vague so that our own sense of wonder can fill in the gaps.

My take on it is that when Ren reads (or attempts to read) someone's mind, be it Poe Dameron or Rey, it isn't a one-way street. He establishes a connection or opens a window that leaves himself just as open to be read. The harder he probes, the more of himself he must expose. This isn't an issue when reading Poe. The difference with Rey is that because the Force is strong with her, she was able to look back at him. He get's flustered and butt-hurt because he did not expect it.
>>
File: ACTIVATE.jpg (19 KB, 304x299) Image search: [Google]
ACTIVATE.jpg
19 KB, 304x299
ACTIVATE THE WEAPON!
>>
>>64202726
but he is?
>>
>>64202341
you know what I'm talking about, and what fucking rules are you fucking talking about you retard?
>>
Honestly I think she should be very powerful with the force but her big weakness should be lightsaber fighting.

It's just a simple biological fact that women cannot maintain muscle mass and bone density like men. They cannot develop the stamina that men can. So Rey beating other men in a lightsaber duel is not immersive.

But women can excel at mental concentration. That is why sport shooting with firearms is one of the few competitions where men are on equal standing with women. So I think in general she should be able to grasp her force powers more easily.
>>
File: Theweaponactivateit.jpg (148 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
Theweaponactivateit.jpg
148 KB, 1024x512
>>64202935

THE WEAPON!
>>
>>64202989
First you say:
>The problem with ther character isn't that she break the "rules"

Then you say:
>she is just too overpowered at multiple skills from the first movie with no experience.

So you are making a judgement that she is "too overpowered."

By what measure of "power" do you refer your judgement?

Could it be the "rules" of the prior pictures which have established your expectations? And is that not exactly what I fucking said?

Or are you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>64202898
But then how does that equate to the mindtrick? Looking through a door someone else opened is not the same as kicking down someone elses door. Sorry for that shit analogy.

Still dont like the mind reading is a two way street but it fits.
>>
File: anakin the memes are evil.png (940 KB, 1024x435) Image search: [Google]
anakin the memes are evil.png
940 KB, 1024x435
ANAKIN, MISOGYNY IS EVIL
>>
>>64203055
Rylo was fighting with no skill
>>
>>64203055

No one would be complaining if she had been great at one or two things but had some pitfalls that held her back

She was simply good at everything, and you know what they call that?

a mary sue
>>
>>64203112
I HATE SAND
>>
>>64203083
Not him

Shes able to do advanced force techniques that all the other jedi had to learn to do through training. And do them better than a dark jedi.
>>
>>64203083
the rules would allow a "force prodigy" able to use all force powers at force level 10 at the age of 2, it would still be a ridiculous character and that's the problem
>>
>>64203189
Yes. Because she is the first Saint of the Church of the Force.

>>64201808
>>
We all know Kylo is the new darth vader, aka the right hand of the emperor, and will probably be in all the 3 movies.

That said, you can not have him getting beaten (wounded or not) straight into the first movie without destroying the sense of threat linked to the character.

They had the right idea at the beginning of the duel by setting him up having the upper hand and having him winding himself up by punching his wound.

As it is a direct sequel to the 6th movie, in which the rebels won, in the 7th the empire should have won.

Anyway I get Disney is basically trying to reboot the franchise and made the most safe movie they could to score big on the ROI of their 300M movie and 4B franchise purchase-
>>
>>64203150
This.
Ben Solo had never been in a saber duel before. He's all wild swings. His technique is to force bind dudes and then cut them down. He's never had to compete on equal footing before, and on top of that he's hurt, worn down, and unbalanced in the force.
>>
File: PowerStaff.jpg (270 KB, 951x1300) Image search: [Google]
PowerStaff.jpg
270 KB, 951x1300
>>64203189
>>64203314
>>64201359
I have offered evidence in the other Rey thread. Linked above.

Also on the ledger, the dangled and much dreaded blacked romance never happens. As a Saint, she would naturally avoid all but the most chaste affections, such as the kiss on the forehead, which looks much like a blessing of sorts.

Rey's iconography with the staff is the most common pictorial portrayal of the most powerful saints, right back to "rod and staff comfort me." Making that her power weapon seems so heavy handed as to be on the nose.
>>
>>64203489
But he killed all of Lukes padawans. I dont see whats wrong with using powerful, but reckless, strikes to try and overpower an opponent. Reminded me of how Luke fought at the end of ROTJ. Was basically using his saber like a bat and swinging like a crazy person.
>>
>>64201359
It looks like they were trying to cast an every woman, but she looks like a retarded munchkin with inexplicably smooth skin for a desert scavenger.
>>
>>64203509
fuck off already
>>
>>64201359
How to actually fix her:
>make her suffer any kind of physical injury, like all other characters in the movie that get in combat do
>make her depend on other people's help in any way
>make Leia not give a big nice hug to a girl she literally sees for the first time, who could very well be the reason for Han's death
And so on.

Mary Sue is not just about being overpowered with space magic, and anyway it's space magic which they make up as they go, who fucking cares. Being able to clearly see that the character is never at any sort of risk is a much bigger flaw.
>>
How to fix Rey:

Episode IX

>Kylo and Rey meet again after adventures in VIII
>Kylo has finished his training, lights up his saber, its now controlled.
>Rey lights up her saber
>Fight fight fight
>Kylo has the higher ground
>Rey pushes the button
>Rey double saber

Fix'd
>>
>>64204355
That would be neat if Ren wind. But it doesn't fix her op/hax force skill.
>>
>>64204499
*won
>>
>>64203960
Yeah. I thought it would be a good enough idea to buttblast /pol/tards. Turns out I was right.
>>
>>64203652
>But he killed all of Lukes padawans

And?
>>
She's Luke's daughter.

And this lack of "training" is only a fault when you consider the "training" the prequels set up, which is clearly being ignored.

Luke was able to blindly block that dumb ball thing shooting at him perfectly literally 45 seconds after starting. That's the canon they're using.
>>
>>64203652
>But he killed all of Lukes padawans.
This has not been confirmed yet.
>>
>>64204608
Think that would mean he has experience fighting force sensitive, and trained, insividuals. Sure they werent Rey levels lf OP but that would still mean he has experience.
>>
File: 1451332050543 (1).jpg (382 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
1451332050543 (1).jpg
382 KB, 1600x1600
>>64201359
They could have tried making her an actual girl instead of a hard bull·dyke
>>
>>64204634
But he still had to be taught how to do that by Ben. He could learn quickly because of his strong connection but he still had to learn.
>>
>>64201359
Not bad. But I think Kylo Ben might have fucked up and revealed himself because he's never tried to influence the mind of another force user.

The mind trick thing is iffy but there's still a possibility she was mind wiped by Luke and she could already be fully trained in the ways of the force and it just awakened in her.
>>
>>64204763

He only got told vague shit about listening to the force or whatever.

That could, by the point of Episode VII be aphorisms and phrases strongly associated with Jedi "myths" and Rey just thought about that shit and everything else she'd heard about the force and/or Jedi and it worked.
>>
>>64205064
The thing I dont like about the mindwipe theory is that she was left on jakku when she was like 7. Which means all her training would be when shes a toddler.
>>
File: image.png (798 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
798 KB, 500x750
>>64205260
You have a point but maybe Luke implanted fake memories in her of her being left there at a young age so she would stay put waiting for her family to return.

I don't want to underestimate the power of the force desu.
>>
I like the air of mystery around her. Makes the sequels much more interesting.
>>
>>64205648
Reapect your opinion. Think thats pretty convoluted though. Wouldve been better if she was just a good pilot/mechanic then have her develope her force abilities in the next movie with Luke
>>
>>64201359
the problem is she is gonna turn out to be Luke's daughter and as poetry has proven every Skywalker is a autistic at flying and force abilities
If they would of left out the nostalgia pandering Force Mind Trick nobody would be calling her a Mary Sue
>>
>>64205896
But it takes away any tension because she does nothing wrong. And her character cant develope because she can practically do everything already.
>>
>>64205956
I can't wait for the Yoda-style training Luke must have in store for her. I wonder if he'll take her back to dagobah and have another tree sequence moment.
>>
ZOMG TEH REY!!1one!!!
>>
>>64206089
He'll make her carry him
>>
>>64202096
She's related to Kenobi as well.
Maybe his granddaughter.
Luke fucked Kenobi's daughter and the result was Rey a.k.a the Kwisatz Haderach.
>>
She is Porkins' granddaughter.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.