[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the deal with 70mm? Does it really make a difference
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: detail.aaacdce4.jpg (178 KB, 635x390) Image search: [Google]
detail.aaacdce4.jpg
178 KB, 635x390
So what's the deal with 70mm? Does it really make a difference or is it another ruse to get a few more shekels out of me?
>>
Come on, /tv/
>>
>>64140044
H8FUL SH8

99% of the movie is indoors it never comes out that much. Just like Samuel L Jackson's dingus.

70mm is wasted on shitty Close ups of niggers and ugly men.
>>
>>64140044
okay. i know something about this.

I once traveled from Long Island to norther Connecticut to see 2001 in 70mm, and later used to see 70mm all the time at the AFI in Silver Spring Maryland.

It does make a difference. Every time I saw 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm I'd always notice the increased detail-- seeing odd things I never saw before on DVD or BluRay.

That said, Hateful 8, judging by the screener, is fucking completely wrong for 70mm. it's 90% indoors. What the fuck was Cuckentino thin thinking?

Don't see Hateful 8 in 70mm. Just download the screener and deny the kikes their tribute.
>>
>>64140199
>>64140206

So what's the deal with it? Is it higher resolution or is it just possible to fit more shit on screen (field of view?)?
>>
>>64140241
i'd call it increased resolution. It's not "cinerama" which was basically three screens wide. It's just a more detailed image.

for example, in the opening of 2001, the first time I could see the individual flags and writing on the ships at that start of the future segment was during a 70mm screening.

Also, in Lawrence of Arabia. You can see the odd effects of desert mirage, and approaching figures in much more detail during a 70mm screening.

That's about it.
>>
>>64140299
Quite a lot of hullabaloo for some writing on ships and "more detail", don't you think? Isn't it just a ploy to try to make the cinema relevant again
>>
>>64140360
you're right.

It's nice to see. sort of an art house thing. For example I believe Scorsese worked on the restoration of 70mm Spartacus, which was nice.

But apart from that it's only of interest to cinephiles. To the normal filmgoer it would make no difference-- ESPECIALLY for movies like Hateful Eight.

I used to like Tarantino a lot. Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill I and even Grindhouse were some of the most fun I ever had in a theater.

But Nu-Tarantino is pure shit. Post "Basterds" deserves to be deleted.
>>
>>64140241
Yeah. You can definitely get a wider field of view and some really great depth of field.Pretty cool in landscape shots. So more shit and a lot of it in focus.

However, there's one strange shot towards the end with Walton Goggins in the foreground and Jackson in the background. My eyes could be wrong but i think it's a double exposure. Pretty awkward to look at. The foreground is in focus, middle is out of focus and then the deep end is suddenly in focus. WHY THE FUCK? would someone frame it up like that. Tarantino has lost it.
>>
>>64140241
Both. Normal film is only 35mm so this is twice as wide and they use special anamorphic lenses to squeeze even more onto the frame. Also there's twice as much detail.

The reason you wanna see it in 70mm is because you don't lose any of the detail compared to a digital scan. Most films these days are only projected in 2K (1080p) so you lose a lot of detail compared to the film original.

However all versions will be in the same aspect ratio (it will be just as wide). Ultra panavision 70 is 2.76:1 meaning that it's 2.7 times wider than it is tall. Even the trailer on youtube has the same aspect ratio. Make sense?
>>
>>64140612
It actually does.

Thanks, anon!
>>
>>64140511
well spotted m8

that's an old school Spiit focus shot. Two parts of the exposure using two different focal length lenses. Not used too often these days.

http://vashivisuals.com/splitting-focus-de-palmas-blow/
>>
So what's the deal with making this thread over and over?
>>
>>64140673
Autism. And there's a lot of people out there who don't understand what ultra pan 70 is. Some of these plebs actually think it's the same as IMAX (the only thing in common is the size of the stock)
>>
>>64140673
what's going on here?
>>
>>64140667
>http://vashivisuals.com/splitting-focus-de-palmas-blow/
Yeap. It says he used it in Reservoir Dogs as well. Thanks for the link.

Personally, I also did not like the rack focus shots when Daisy is playing the guitar. He keeps shifting focus from her to people in the background and back to her. Pretty clumsy and lazy ass filmmaking going on there. Plus the fucking continuity errors. Painful to watch on the large screen.

I am beginning to think Tarantino is visually not that solid. Compared to say, the Asian cinema masterwork that i saw in The Assassin this year. Piece of high-art. Shame nobody is talking about that on /tv/
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.