[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Opening Crawl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
Was anyone else really disappointed with it?

>Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

>With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

>Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts….

...it just looked too much like what a Star Wars fan would write and not what a Star Wars writer would. After seeing this scrawl I was legitimately afraid this was going to be pure fan fiction.
>>
so i just re-watched the prequels and i have to say these actually get a lot of undeserved hate. you can tell there was love and craft put into these worlds. varied creatures, some of the most alien and beautiful worldbuilding i've ever seen. yeah the script is bad but holy shit these settings and designs are beautiful. these are a work of a man who cares deeply for star wars.

>phantom menace
character design - 10/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 7/10

>clone
character design - 9/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 5/10

>sith
character design - 10/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 7/10

i would rank them above TFA, below the OT.
>>
>>63937904

are you asking if we're disappointed with the crawl motif, or with the entire movie?
>>
>>63937967
you're right but disliking PT is a meme.
TPM is a really intelligent movie plot wise.
>>
>>63938031
The crawl motif. It just wasn't written that well in my opinion anyway
>>
I liked it
Luke Skywalker has vanished!
try saying it out loud like a 40's newsman
>>
>>63938059

>TPM is a really intelligent movie plot wise.

>mfw TFA is so bad it's making people retroactively praise this crap
>>
>>63937904
They should have used this time instead to establish power structures. We have no idea how big the republic was and how in the hell was the Order so well established and powerful after 30 years. I imagine they'll expand a bit in the sequels but they could've had a minute or two to explain the world and some of the politics instead of showing 9001 different shots of John Bogaaga dinduing around Jakku and Poe being a faggot.
>>
>>63937904
>Was anyone else really disappointed with it?

Not at all. Go back and look at the OT crawls, it's absolutely in keeping with their style. It instantly catches your attention and brings you into the story in medias res. Now, the PT crawls, those were genuinely terrible.

>>63937967

Sure, they had good design, Lucas hired an army of talented designers. But good design does not make a good movie. The bad scripting is no minor flaw, it's literally the death knell of a story. We're not just talking about bad dialogue or poor comic relief here, everything about the story construction was just atrocious.
>>
>>63937904
No, I loved it.
Cut the bullshit: Luke's gone, shit's fucked.
Or is it not artistic enough for your redditor trans feminist ass?
>>
>>63937967

good bait, you should have made a new thread. i'm sure this will be pasta before too long
>>
>>63937967
>this post again
>>
>>63938180

It didn't bother me, given that Star Wars is supposed to have a bit of a pulpy/Saturday matinee dime movie feel to it.
>>
You know, the whole movie is about finding Luke, yet it's not explained why his disappearance is so detrimental and why they need to find him.

If anyone says it will be explained in the next movie, they can go fuck their mother.
>>
>>63937904
The crawl was perfect.

>>63938633
>a bit
It's the entire basis of the series
>>
>>63938677
Because Luke is the hero. What's so hard to understand?
>>
>There are heroes on both sides
>>
I thought that was the most perfect part of the movie.
>>
>>63937967

character design, 10/10. this is what proves you're just a /tv/ contrarian shitter. please describe how qui gon jin or obi wan was "good character design." what the fuck did qui gon jin add besides a hollow husk of what obi wan was in episode IV? what about darth maul? his character was "10/10"? jarjar, the hamfisted comic relief? obiwan jr, the empty sidekick? natalie portman's character?

phantom menance had terrible character design. it's arguably the worst part about that movies and all the prequels. stop trying to contradict the reddit bogeyman. the prequels were absolute garbage.

ill give you worldbuilding, but worldbuilding does not make a good movie
>>
>>63939030
>my opinion is right
>anyone who disagrees is wrong >:(
>>
>>63939030
Character design does not mean character.
>>
>>63939030
Darth maul was cool. Probably the one cool thing about the prequels.
>>
>>63937967
I think they get a lot of undeserved hate but they're still not great movies at best.
>>
>>63938059
>"take her to camp four for processing"
>>
30 years and Luke is STILL the only Jedi? wtf?

how the fuck can a fist order even rise when you have the entire galaxy suddenly come against the empire.

this movie literally shouldn't exist and it's only reason is to create money through nostalgia, not to further the story. thats why they dissed Goerge's ideas. they didn't give a shit if it matched or not.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.