[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you fix it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 13
File: SW-THE-FORCE-AWAKENS.jpg (253 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SW-THE-FORCE-AWAKENS.jpg
253 KB, 1920x1080
How would you fix it?
>>
I'd make Rey less of a Mary Sue and have her barely survive the fight with Kylo, I'd cut the scenes with Maz and instead have Han be the one with the lightsabre. They land on the planet to try and shake First Order ships that are tracking them, and have Han reluctantly call the Resistance for help. I'd replace StarKiller base with a planet sized forge cranking out Star Destroyers and have Republic ships and soldiers launching an assault, and make the Republic more important to the story. I'd also stop Finn from jumping between comedic relief and PTSD sufferer and keep him serious. I'd get rid of all of the reddit-tier jokes and dialogue.

And get John Willaims to make a better score which isn't then hidden underneath sounds and dialogue.
>>
>>63908452
More Gungans and Toydarians
>>
>>63908452
more Finn and Poe bromance
longer lightsaber duels
less shitty JJ camera angles
>>
>>63908452
Motion for the dogfights was too fast for the amount of contrast the background gave.
>>
Cut down on the silly dialogue just a tad. It was incredibly unwitty and Marvel-teir.
>>
Less wanking on the OT and (a lot) more new stuff.
>>
>trash shitshiller base and everything related to it
>make rey a weaker character so she can develop through training during the next two films
>give rey and finn more time to develop towards eachother, like han and leia
>older imperial officers
>more menacing phasma
>cut reddit banter
>>
>>63908452

Rey escapes by using her new force powers (with a lot effort) on her restraints.
Kylo's outbursts are an outward manifestation of the force, not a lightsaber outburst
Rey and Kylo battle it out briefly, only to be interrupted by the splitting of the planet.
>>
I wouldn't have made it. It's garbage for little kiddies.
>>
ctrl+a
shift+delete
'Yes'
>>
Make Rey less of a miracle can-do-everything woman

Let the force help her but in less explicit "I am a hedi master obey me force" type way. She is the most flawed character because she never learnt anything; she could always just do it
>>
>>63910364
she learned everything from being on her shitty planet scrapping things
>>
>>63908452
By not making it in the first place
>>
>>63910414
She learnt how to fly a spaceship through the corpse of a star destroyed and to completely fix a millenium falcon because... she did some scavaging?

She learnt how to do force mind read, force block, jedi mind tricks, force grab because... she did some scavaging?

Give it a rest mate her character is indefensible
>>
>>63909759
>longer lightsaber duels
PTfag detected
>>
Cut the Starkiller
Replace Maz Kanata with practical effects alien
Reveal that Rey is Luke's daughter so people stop sperging about her being so powerful
Cut the Snoke hologram
More memorable score
Rewrite the gang scene with Han Solo and cut the horrible CGI creatures
Slow the pacing a bit, more character exposition
More Poe/Finn bromance
More Captain Phasma
>>
>>63910588
>Reveal that Rey is Luke's daughter so people stop sperging about her being so powerful

That wouldn't change a fucking thing you obtuse moron. No one cares that she is powerful, it is that she has no fucking training.
>>
>>63910646
>it is that she has no fucking training.

You don't know that though.
>>
The Starkiller base was unnecessary. The characters had a perfect goal right from the beginning (find Luke Skywalker), no reason to introduce another goal (destroy the Starkiller Base) halfway through and make the rest of the movie about it.
>>
>>63910646
Luke had no formal training either and he used the Force to blow up the Death Star.
>>
>>63910699
She's also clearly more force sensitive than Luke and possibly even Anakin.
>>
>>63910699
He trained with ObiWan on the millenium, and he wasn't doing a variety of different force tricks, just felt the force inside him

>>63910683
Nothing in the movie suggests otherwise
>>
just throw it in the fucking trash like some shiny stormtrooper
>>
Holy fuck it's absolutely PAINFULLY obvious that Rey was a former student of Luke's. Jesus Christ people. Luke probably memory rubbed her and sent her away because he knows how powerful she can become and he didn't want her turning to the dark side like Kylo.
>>
>>63910796
No it's not. Stop defending this pile of crap with your farfetched fan theories.
>>
>>63910748
>just felt the force inside him

So did she. She closes her eyes as Kylo is besting her in the duel and she lets the force in like Luke did.
>>
File: 1446119693407.jpg (130 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
1446119693407.jpg
130 KB, 880x880
can't fix perfection pham
>>
>>63910821
She used Jedi Mind tricks on the guard, she uses force grab on the lightsaber, these are not things untrained people can do. Fuck how does she even know it is something which can be done if she thought Jedi were a fucking myth. It's stupid.
>>
It's great already, but... I'd make it so:

- The Starkiller doesn't get destroyed, just disabled
- Added scene at the end after the climax for a funeral for fallen resistance fighters and Han Solo
- Rework the last scene with Luke a bit, end with a still shot of his face and a line of dialogue rather than the awkward helictoper blurry pan
>>
>>63910894
She's very force sensitive. Simple as that.

Honestly all of that stuff is more believable than the way she flies the Millennium Falcon on Jakku.
>>
>>63910924
No it's not believable at all. It completely ruins the force as described in the OT, and just makes it about power levels which is anime tier writing.
>>
literally the only flaw was the helicopter shot in the final scene
>>
File: ayylmaoStarWars.jpg (562 KB, 1280x1912) Image search: [Google]
ayylmaoStarWars.jpg
562 KB, 1280x1912
>>63908452
>>
>>63910985
>literally the only flaw was the helicopter shot in the final scene

No idea how it made it in the final cut. So bad.
>>
Helicopter shot is the only flaw of the movie.
>>
Oh, neat.

I typed up my changes here a couple days ago:

http://pastebin.com/2gepmwMU

What does /tv/ think?
>>
>>63911077
Not reading this desu. If you can be bullet pointed into a 4chainz post or two then you should take it to rebbit
>>
No Starkiller at all, no Maz at all, less masturbatory OT references, at least one good guy character that doesn't quip like a marvel superhero

>>63910796
How can she be a former student if she was a toddler when she was left on Jakku?
>>
File: sure-if-serious-i-am-not.jpg (44 KB, 417x480) Image search: [Google]
sure-if-serious-i-am-not.jpg
44 KB, 417x480
>>63911031
>>
>>63911209
Didn't you watch the prequels? Pretty much trained from toddlers. Those kids in the Jedi temple in ROTS might have been able to move shit around or whatever.
>>
>>63908551
she was shown to be a thief, she immediately ran from her responsibilities several times and she honestly wasn't a great pilot, just a good mechanic. The only mary-suish aspect of her is the fact she's totally OP with the force.
>>
>>63911160
Reddit would probably hate it, since from what I hear, they think the movie is flawless.

In short, it's most of what you see people say here written into a plot.

Story focuses more on finding Luke and on the new characters. Han Solo is dead at the start of the film, killed by Kylo Ren when he turned to the dark side, and the little Droid has a map to the Jedi Archives on Coruscant.

The political climate is more like the Cold War to mirror how the OT reflects WWII.

The plot is slower, and focused on unraveling the mystery of the Jedi as they uncover Jedi lore in search for Luke. The main antagonist is Phasma, who is hunting the group down, and we get more focus on Finn and his past as a stormtrooper.

Poe gets more screentime, rather than being Deus Ex Machina the character, and is killed in the third act.

Rey is scaled down in power.

And the climax happens on tge Jedi ruins on Tython.
>>
I would make it a bit longer, ad some breathing room and exposition to the beginning, give Rey some issues, make her bad at something, don't explode the star killer base at the end, just fuck it up so much that it becomes unsalvageable.
>>
Less blatant OT fanservice like the chess game. I would have been fine with the Falcon hardly being in it the movie at all.

More blatant sex appeal fanservice.
>>
>>63911375
Having the Starkiller base at ALL is a bad idea.

Just cut the rehash plot all together, and start over after they depart Jakku.
>>
>>63910458
Literally this. Rey is fucking retarded
>>
>>63910486
>muh authenticity
>muh WEIGHT
>>
>>63911287
>She wasn't a great pilot
But she was
>>
>>63911435
If it wasn't such an awesome setting I would agree with you. The scene where it fires is worth it being in the movie by itself.
>>
>>63911742
I disagree.

For one, it's just a "more epic" version of the same scene from episode iv.

Second, it's so absurd it really kills my suspension of disbelief. It's able to fire beams across the Galaxy at speeds faster than the speed of light, and two it absorbs the nearby star, but doing that should instantly kill everyone on the station.

Like, when the star is put out and everything gets darker... everyone should be dead.

I can only suspend my disbelief so much, bu sci-fi always has a bit of logic behind it, this is just nonsense.

The rule of cool to try and outdo Episode IV
>>
>>63911910
I think I once saw a Vsauce video that said if the sun disappeared it would take something like a month for everything to be dead.
>>
>>63910821
see when luke used the force in the original, he only felt and acted in an instant, a kin to luck.

If it was written correctly as soon as Rey tuned into the force, she would've done one expert "lucky" move and cut Kylos head off.

She use force skills without training. Which should only manifest as luck without years of learning.
>>
File: 1432089451415.jpg (174 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1432089451415.jpg
174 KB, 600x450
Luke footage that isn't just a minute long.
>>
>>63909759
did poe and finn know each other before they escaped together?

if not, i found it weird how bro they are after literally 5 minutes max, with one beeing a stormtrooper and one beeing a rebel
>>
>>63908452
Merge Poe and Finn into one character called Finn; race literally doesn't matter.

Cut the old droids (sorry Artoo).

Cut Han and Chewie and the MF, fanservice be damned.

Give Leia Luke's role (i.e. minimize it) or cut her completely.

Both Finn and Mary Sue get their shit pushed in by Kylo Ren, saved in the last minute, etc..

Cut not-Death Star no. 3. Make it about the Republic cleaning after the war and going after one of the most radical and dangerous remnants of the Empire that's involved with terrorism and decapitates people left and right (how topical!). But don't destroy any planets.

Fix some minor plot holes, especially dialogue and continuity with the OT.

Change Snoke's name ffs.
>>
Change the secondary title to something more relevant to the movie. WTF is the force awaking suppose to mean. Was it asleep?
>>
>>63912186
This !
>>
>>63911304
That sounds pretty good to be honest.
>>
>>63912186
>Change Snoke's name ffs.

Kek I watched it a second time with the family and couldn't stop laughing whenever they said his name.

"No, we didn't do anything wrong, it was Snoke"
"Snoke drew him to the dark side"

People say Fisher is a bad actress, but she did those lines with a straight face so I gotta give her props.
>>
File: 1446762172725.gif (2 MB, 438x363) Image search: [Google]
1446762172725.gif
2 MB, 438x363
1. Have a short scene that briefly explains the situation of the Republic, First Order and Resistance.

2. Make Rey less perfect or give her a character flaw.

3. Scrap the whole thing about Luke leaving a partial map behind, it's just stupid. Either he wants to be found in case of an emergency or not. Just make it so R2 knows where he is but it took the droid engineers of the resistance very long to filter through the tons of data on R2 to figure out where Luke went.

4. Kylo doesn't take off the mask except for one short moment when he looks at his father.

5. Leia comforts Chewie who is above all others saddened by the loss of Han.

6. Less ghetto lingo scenes for Finn.

7. Less "GET IT? WE GOT YOU OLD FANS!" references to the OT.

8. Scrap the entire Starkiller base idea. Just make it the first order's base on some planet and have them kill a lot of republic people with something less dramatic. Whether 80 billion or only a few million republic civilians die to the FO at that moment, does it really matter? Get rid of "Death Star #3"

9. Make Snoke Darth Jar Jar

10. Have a scene with force ghost Anakin telling Kylo that he should not tread on the dark path
>>
>>63912539
grand emperor snooki
>>
>>63912555
>10. Have a scene with force ghost Anakin telling Kylo that he should not tread on the dark path
nice trips.
i'd like a rage filled scene where kylo throws a tantrum at this idea when he finally meets anakin.
that he had all the wrong ideas and that he's on the wrong path.
that he killed han for nothing.
itd be a good turning point too.
>>
File: 1437707520172.jpg (41 KB, 432x576) Image search: [Google]
1437707520172.jpg
41 KB, 432x576
>>63912577
>>
Take out the "searching Luke" subplot. Don't need to actively be searching for Luke for the entire film, that can come up later after Han dies.

More emphasis on the Stormtroopers, with more Phasma. Finn's unit, his best friend, a rival, etc.

Instead of blowing up Starkiller Base, the plot concerns infiltrating Starkiller Base to liberate a group of Stormtroopers that want to defect to the Resistence.

Rey is, at best, able to go toe-to-toe with Ren, not defeat him. She can get a hero moment against him, which could be landing the hit on his face. But that should enrage him and send him into a berserker rage that she can barely withstand until the earth splits open and seperates them.
>>
>>63912611
Too bad Kylo Ren already knows Anakin turned to the Light and betrayed the Emperor.

That's why Kylo Ren is trying so hard to resist the Light Side.
>>
>>63908452
remove Finn and Ray, add blond fit tall chads

Re cast kylo
>>
>>63912673
He shouldnt definitely know of his grandfather's redemption if he was trained by luke.
Especially to know that evil blood runs through his veins.
Its kind of nonsensical that he was fanatic towards anakin but only the dark part.
>>
>>63912726
should* mb.
>>
>>63908452
>How would you fix it?

By not filiming it. There is no need for OT sequels.
>>
>>63909879
THIS
>>
>replace JJ with a filmmaker
>slow the pace down so it's not like a call of duty campaign
>>
Posted this in another thread

The whole Starkiller thing was stupid. How the hell are they going to have a bigger threat than that for the next two movies? The coolest part of the movie for me was the vision Rey had and the Knights of Ren. How dope would it be for a group of dark Jedi who betrayed Luke and destroyed the New Temple to be the overarching baddies of the movies?

Imagine, an elite group of Linkin Park listening Black Knight emofags and edgelords led by the supremely insecure Kylo, taking back the Empire one planet at a time with the first order. Each member of this group of outcasts and fuck ups have their own deep rooted psychological issues, the tumblr and devianarts fags would eat it up. It'll make it all the more satisfying when each one gets cut down throughout the trilogy.

Honestly I'm biased because I'm a huge mark for the "group of unique bad guys that get beaten one at a time" formula for movies like these. I think it's because I played too much Sly Cooper as a kid.
>>
>>63912555
>Leia comforts Chewie who is above all others saddened by the loss of Han.

this would have been so much better

why does she hug Rey, she doesn't even know her
>>
>>63912886
Because Rey is the main character and the important WOMAN in Star Wars now

EVERYONE HAIL REY
>>
File: 4PzGi57.jpg (202 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
4PzGi57.jpg
202 KB, 800x800
>>63910748
>Implying she wasn't a Youngling at Luke's Academy and was there when Ren killed them all.

She was definitely connected to the fall of the second Jedi Order, in some way. And she was left on Jakku as a result, either by Luke as protection or Ren, to keep her out of the way because he couldn't kill her.

Judging by Ren's reaction to the officer than mentioned "a girl", he knew exactly who she was.
>>
>>63912555
I mostly agree but

>9. Make Snoke Darth Jar Jar
wew lad

>10. Have a scene with force ghost Anakin telling Kylo that he should not tread on the dark path
Only if it's in a dream or delusion or something that's falsifiable. We don't need any actual ghosts.
>>
Have BB-8 actually do stuff and not be a glorified briefcase.
>>
>>63912929
Why not have ghosts?
>>
>>63908452
Stopped making them after Empire Strikes Back
>>
Rey isn't fucktard gifted with the force, but merely displays some attunement to it when being interrogated by kylo ren and he senses her potential. and uses scavenger skills to escape. Finn and her have to work together simultaneously to defeat him at the end of the movie. Finn isn't left behind and they BOTH go to Luke in order to become jedi.

while Finn would get the traditional saber, Rey gets a staff light saber.
>>
>>63912555
>Force ghost Hayden Christensen turns up and tells Ben the truth about what happened on Endor.
>Tells him how he was brought back to the light by Luke, and that he killed the Emperor.

I'm not going to lie, I would enjoy that. It seems Ren was in denial about Vader and what happened to him at Endor. Which is strange since he was Luke's apprentice for a while before he lost it.

I'm pretty certain force-ghost Anakin/Vader will appear in this trilogy though, it's too much of a good opportunity to pass up. Would be great to see Christensen playing a mature Anakin.
>>
>>63912865
>Emo Knights get more back story in episode VIII
>turns out they are alive, just training with snoke while Kylo is the point man on Starkiller base
>they all train together in episode VIII
>Kylo is strongest being a skywalker, but other Knights of Ren have their own skill sets and hold their own
>they get character development and you get to know them
>a few of them are actually funny and kinda cool
>one of them even has this awesome motivation high lighting how the resistance is basically a terrorist cell that killed his empire-loyalist family
>Kylo starts to really like these guys, so do the viewers
>They go after Luke.
>find him
>surround him
>Actually seem to have a chance at first
>they all just get fucking murdered and Kylo has to run away like a pussy
>>
>>63912943
Death should be final. Otherwise why wouldn't you have Yoda and Obiwan hanging around? Or Sidious for that matter. New trilogy means new character roster, outside of few necessary leftovers. Having the villain directly communicating with Darth fucking Vader relativists his own role.
Having a dream also works better in terms of the plot: it means he's not entirely convinced about the dark side, still has doubts and ambivalence, etc.
>>
>>63913064
so you're saying the OTs already got it all wrong?

Just because this is a new trilogy doesn't mean the ghosts of obiwan, yoda and anakin are suddenly gone
>>
>>63913064
But Force Ghosts are a thing, the only character who shouldn't be a Force Ghost is Anakin. Yoda and Obi-Wan specifically trained so that they could come back as Force Ghosts.

But just discarding them because it's not believable is just stupid. It was a central part of the original trilogy, I don't see why they wouldn't take advantage of them now.
>>
>>63913271
I agree, becoming a force ghost is something that should only happen to fully light side jedi who were mentally trained and prepared for it.
>>
>>63911031
Yeah, it either needed an additional flyover with a camera drone, or it could have been trimmed.
>>
The movie should start with Empire/First Order having developed Ghostbusters-type of proton pack weapon. First Order attacking Jedi Heaven and sucking Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin trapping them. Luke and others sensing a great disturbance in force.

Kylo REn now possessing the force ghosts of the Jedis building a new Jedi sword with trapped souls of Yoda and others inside it making the light sabre most powerful in the universe
>>
>>63913349
Anakin shouldn't be a force ghost, but it's still beneficial that he is one.

Since the force ghost reincarnation of Anakin is the true version of Anakin, closer to the one we saw in the Clone Wars, it would be criminal not to use him as a device to tempt Ren away from the dark side. I think it would make a great scene, and Christensen can partially redeem himself if he's given a good script (he's not that bad an actor, it's just the script in the prequels was god-awful).
>>
File: 1309988721795.jpg (164 KB, 510x385) Image search: [Google]
1309988721795.jpg
164 KB, 510x385
>>63913568
I legitimately laughed out loud at the image of them sucking up old obi wan with a ghost buster weapon
>>
>>63908452
movie needed to be totally restructured to remove the Death Planet desu

just make it about finding Luke, and Han dying (doesn't even really matter how). use whatever macguffins make that work and let you introduce the new characters but don't open on Tatooine for the love of god.
>>
>>63913568
so dark forces 2?
>>
>>63913703
Well Han is old now so I'd say just have him comically slip on some wet floor when entering Maz's cantina and he falls and breaks his neck
>>
>>63909736
Don't forget those Chinese aliens that were in charge of the Trade Federation.
>>
Here's something I haven't seen mentioned, and that personally bugged me.

>Add some background

Jakku didn't feel like a lived in planet. It wasn't even really a town.

On Tattooine in the O.T., you get the feeling like you're in an actual world, on a planet with different locales and societies and inhabitants.

Everything in TFA felt empty.

Even Endor had some sort of character.

When they went to the pirate bay with the large bar/hotel or whatever, even that felt strangely empty and isolated. The bar just didn't feel like a lived in place like Jabbas palace or the Mos Eisley cantina.

Maybe it's because the plot was moving so fast they didn't have time for just throw away locale and background character stuff. Still felt off to me.

I'm not a fan of the Lord Of The Ring movies, for instance, but in Fellowship especially, you get a real sense of a world.

Even in something as bare bones as Fury Road there is a feeling of a lived in place.

I saw Black Mass recently. It had a similar problem. In The Departed, which wasn't even shot in Boston, you still felt like you were in a real place. In Black Mass you just sort of went from room to room and got no sense of time or place.

I dunno. I'll watch it again and see if I still feel that way. But it's definitely something that stood out to me.
>>
less Joss Whedon-tier quips and comedic situations, leave it for the droids/Han-type characters.

slow down the pace a little bit

Make Finn white
>>
>>63912539
But anon her face can't move
>>
>>63908452
BY NOT MAKING IF A FAN FICTION KNOCK OFF OF FUCKING EPISODE 4 GOD FUCKIMG DAMMIT.

I wouldn't have tried to make marvel tier meming through the entire fucking movie.

I would have transitioned focus from the old characters to the new.

I would have given better reasoning for the new order to be so powerful and given them a weapon that could logically work more than 1 fucking time

I WOULDN'T NAME A MAJOR MILITARY FORCE THE RESISTANCE TO KEEP IT AS A KNOCK OFF REBELLION.

I WOULDNT FUCKING LIMIT THE NEW ORDER TO BEING THE SITH BECAUSE THEY ARE A POLITICAL CAUSE NOT A FUCKING RELIGION AND ONE OF THE BEST PARTS OF STAR WARS IS HOW THE JEDI AND SITH OPERATE INSIDE THE GOVERNING FACTIONS BUT USUALLY SEPERATE

I would keep knock off Bastilla but probably not make her the super mechanic/super pilot/jedi/superlightsaber weilder/great with blasters/beautiful/main hero/super force powered. That was fucking stupid
>>
>>63913892
its a soft reboot, they did it on purpose. nothing was genuine about this film
>>
>>63911304
>The political climate is more like the Cold War to mirror how the OT reflects WWII.
You're a smart guy, I like the sound of that.
>>
>>63913920
Thats no fucking excuse. They turned episode 4 into a marvel movie about how strong womyns are and stuck star wars on the fucking label.
>>
>>63913855
I definitely agree. It would have helped to have some "calm down and learn about the location" scenes with these planets
>>
>Poe Dameron
He's portrayed as more full of himself than he was, he doesn't trust Finn, and he managed to make his escape on his own, dragging Finn along.

>Finn
Isn't actually a traitor, but the First Order thinks he is. Being shot at by his former camarades, he's forced to abandon his plan of gaining Rey's trust and stealing the droid. As the story progresses he realizes he's on the wrong side, and he drops the shield of the Starkiller base (he had codes the whole time, but lied about it because he knew it would get a lot of soldiers killed). He tries his best not to kill stormtroopers, and doesn't manage to hurt Kylo in duel.

>Rey
She's a bit colder and doesn't tell everybody about how she's waiting her family. Doesn't trust Finn and Han immediately. She escapes using the force somehow, but not by mind suggestion. Loses against Kylo.

>Kylo
Remove his mask latter in the movie, with Han. It's not revealed immediately in the movie he's Han son. When he's angry it's less tantrums, and more sudden bursts of raw force he can't control.

>Phasma
She's the one dueling Finn instead of a random stormtrooper, and she doesn't lower the shields

>Snoke
No reveal, he's just a voice in the dark

Also a better score, and no panoramic shot of Luke and Rey.
>>
Can someone please tell me why the fuck we are still just destroying plannets by the handful and why i should care since we can just cline tatooine to make new ones? The biggest team the resistance can muster is like 10 x wings i dont think that justifys destroying 10 fucking planets
>>
>>63912111
>nice trips

But in all seriousness it wouldn't take someone long to bro out with someone who had just saved them from mental Force torture, even if they were a stormtrooper.
>>
>>63914043
Clone*
>>
>>63913855

As an example;

In the O.T. we get to see Luke whining about chores, driving around to talk to Ben, trading with Jawas, etc etc.

Hell, even the famous Sun set shot.

The closest we get to that in the new one is "One half quarter" or whatever, which doesn't feel like any real sort of interaction, and her looking forlornly at a space ship.

He could have basically cut the whole Maz Katana scene and the Han introduction and spent more time with Rey on Jakku or Finn with the First Order.

Hell, even that Han scene takes place entirely on Millenium Falcon and we learn of the operation via exposition. Even fucking Guardians Of The Galaxy had them go out and interact with the surroundings.

I guess it's weird. People complained in Jedi about how the Ewok sequence went on forever, or how Jabbas palace basically felt like a whole other self contained movie. But that's the things I liked about Star Wars. Not just the plot/characters, but the whole universe building.

Like when they escape from Jakku, they're just sitting around and then BOOM, shits exploding, they run for a ship and they're outta there.

In the O.T. we see Stormtroopers patrolling and checking things out and then we get a very short shootout before they flee.
>>
>>63914043
I found that funny as well.

The republic is so poor they can't give the resistance, the only ones trying to fight the first order, a budger that lets them have more than 1 small squad of fucking x-wings?

Oh wow.
>>
>>63908452
I'd have recast the original trio and done Thrawn. Then Caedus, then Legacy. We can skip over the Vong and the Emperor's New Clones.
>>
>>63913997
I like kylo has a bitchboy sith. Thats my favorite part of the movie
>>
>Obi-Wan trains Anakin who eventually falls to the Dark Side and destroys the Jedi Order

>Obi-Wan blames himself and goes into exile

>Luke Skywalker trains Kylo Ren who eventually turns to the Dark Side, destroying the Jedi Order

>Luke blames himself and goes into exile

If I had to change one thing though I'd have fixed the fucking gaping plot hole.

>Han can fly through Starkiller Base's shields by flying in at lightspeed

>It works

>After it works he doesn't get on the space radio back to the fleet and have them do the same exact thing

>10 minutes lost on "We gotta get the shields down!" subplot
>>
>>63914079
Not that anon but I agree with everything but the Ewoks. Jabba's Palace is the better example of world building but there's nothing really enjoyable about the Ewoks except that scene where Luke uses the Force to lift C3PO up.

I do agree that this one felt empty, though. Every ST film up until now felt like it had a world that people lived in, but this one was pretty sparse.
>>
File: brendan.png (172 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
brendan.png
172 KB, 500x500
>>63914043
>"The Resistance is here, send them everything we got!"
>next scene is 15 x-wings fighting 20 tie-fighter
>>
>>63914171
Hey dumbass, its incredibly dangerous to land on a planet at light speed without a port. They almost died in that scene, and they had to stay dangerously close to the ground or the empire would of shot them. Pay the fuck attention
>>
>>63914199
>but the new order can make a base 1000x the size of the death star
>still cant mobilize it to other power sources

Seriously the writing was shit.
>>
>>63908452
Swap Boyega with Nyongo. Have Nyongo be a main character and Boyega a forgettable pirate.
More emphasis on how it was Chewie shooting Kylo that even made it possible for Finn and Rey to not get slaughtered.
Alternatively, keep actors as is. Have Kylo kill Finn and Han.
Give Luke at least one fucking line.
>>
>>63914249
Except the empire can know they're coming so they dont need to appear as close to the ground as han
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (19 KB, 368x480) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
19 KB, 368x480
I'd like it if they added more depth to the New Order. They already wasted the potential of that speech scene where a forgettable, blatantly Nazi-like speech is given when this could have been a chance to actually flesh out the New Order's views and why they believe they're justified in fighting the Republic.

At least they gave some bones to throw for the Empirefags. That scene where Fin gets BTFO by that stormtrooper with the giant tazer was one of the highlights of the movie, hope I see more of that because I honestly didn't expect to see a lone stormtrooper do so good against a main character. Maybe have pic related show up in the future since they never really did anything and theres probably still some alive.

Also I enjoyed the reactions they had when Kylo raged, such as the two troopers who did a 180 once they realized who was screaming and destroying everything.
>>
>>63914249
>they almost died
No they didn't.

>they had to stay dangerously close to the ground or the empire would have shot them
The only reason they had to avoid being shot at is because they had to go and disable the shields. All they had to do was have the X-Wings fly in at lightspeed through the shield and start shooting at the damn part they were aiming for. Might have had a few extra minutes to shoot at stuff since they'd have had surprise on their side.
>>
>>63914171
the whole lightspeed entrance was amazingly bad. in a galacy far far away do physics just not work anymore? try taking an f 16 at top speed on a descent and make it pull up right before you hit a mountain, 10/10 times youre going to hit that mountain and die. the falcon scenes were all fucking retarded
>>
>>63914043
>>63914087
>>63914199
I think that was actually intentional, meant to mirror how the rebel force sent a squad of xwings to destroy the Death Star in episode IV.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.
>>
>>63914171
>1 gaping plot hole
>military base is powere by suns but cant move
>base is a plannet so once the 1st sun is gone they are now freezing to death if they are not inside the station or a suit
>the biggest battle between 2 huge military forces is less than 20 people in ships
>rae an untrained force sensitive is more powerful than the sith strong enough to defeat luke and his followers
>the empire has the rest of the map to luke even though it is stored in r2d2 who is shut off
>poe got off jakku
>the rebellion just disolved and the resistance formed as a group of like 50 people protecting the entire galaxy
There's more but its early and i cant think
>>
>>63914394
The rebelion sent hugefleets to destroy the death stars. The x wings did the trench runs but they had huge fucking armies in the air
>>
>>63914433
Really? I don't have the best memory, but I'm pretty sure in Episode IV (Not the later ones where we do see bigger ships) we see the rebels send only a squad to destroy the Death Star. I remember thinking how odd that was when I was rewatching it.
>>
>>63914504
>rebels
ragtag group of warriors who were trying to fly in undetected

>resistance
it's not clear (yet another flaw) but they probably have that sweet new republic money, and they aren't trying to be stealthy.
>>
>>63914171
>After it works he doesn't get on the space radio back to the fleet and have them do the same exact thing

they would have been too pussy to even try it probably, I mean Han and the gang almost died in the Falcon doing it, only based Poe would have the stones to attempt it
>>
>>63914399
>cant move

I thought that it could move though, dunno why I just assumed it could move if it literally needed to eat suns to use its weapon

>they fucking blew up Coruscant

kek
>>
>>63914587
I know, it's not supposed to be logical, just another reference to the OT. I understood it when I first saw it. I don't like it, but I can see how it's a reference.
>>
>>63914079
>In the O.T. we get to see Luke whining about chores, driving around to talk to Ben, trading with Jawas, etc etc.

was that a good thing though? did we really need to know the mundane details of Rey's life on Jakku any more than we saw in the film?
>>
>>63914504

the rebels couldn't win fighting the Empire in conventional space battles, they got fucked on every time hence the reason that their entire military doctrine in the OT is relying on absurd hail Mary's like "lets send a guy to shoot a torpedo down a tiny hole and hope it works"
>>
>>63914755
>is context important
suc a shotgun fæm
>>
>>63914755
It is, because at least we see a progression from Gormless Whiny Farmhand to Hero. The most important thing that happens on Tatooine is when Luke's aunt and uncle die. That's when he realizes he has to leave the relative security of his home and follow Obi-Wan. Rey doesn't have that experience.
>>
>>63908452
Rey can't resist Kylo's psychic interrogation, thus making him more of a Force user and explaining his lost of a duel

or

Rey loses the fight to Kylo and being saved in the last moment. Thus making him more of a Swordsman and explaining his Rey's talents in Force using.

The rest of the movie makes sense at least.
>>
File: o b 1.gif (2 MB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
o b 1.gif
2 MB, 500x600
>>63912067
>>>
"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." ... Obi Wan tells Luke Anakins History
>>
>>63914755

If Jakku was as interesting as Tattooine, then yes.
>>
>>63915246
Yea because he knows those moments of luck are the force. Be aware of your context.
>>
>>63914504
Even in 4 they still had a significantly larger force than 7 and the original death star is the size of a small moon not a planet
>>
>>63908452
Fix? What are you exactly talking about? I found it a nearly perfect film.
They took everything cool in the SW universe, multiplied its coolness tenfolds, added some fucking realism into the troopers and put in on screen. It was fucking epic.
>>
>>63915693
(You)
>>
>>63908452
Find something more original to end on than another Death Star. Other than that I actually thought it was pretty good.
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.