[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how do the rights to Star Wars work with vidya and the animated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 1280x720-IrY.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-IrY.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
So how do the rights to Star Wars work with vidya and the animated shows? Does Disney own those, too? The Old Republic is a Star Wars MMO is Bioware that was made years ago, does Disney have any control over that?
>>
>>63858310
Currently, EA (owners of BioWare) have exclusive rights to make and sell Star Wars games (with the exception of mobile and browser games, which are handled by an internal Disney studio; as well as games that aren't branded as and don't entirely focus on Star Wars but feature characters from it, like Disney Infinity). However, Disney owns prior games (hence their ability to sell games like KOTOR 1 and 2, X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series on Steam without EA's approval). Disney will presumably gain the rights to any and all EA-created Star Wars media as soon as EA loses those rights.
>>
>>63858638
thanks
>>
>>63858310

Knights of the Fallen Empire is a beast trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A
>>
>>63859518
All of the TOR cinematic trailers are excellent, but that one tells a story better in a minute and a half than most full length movies.
>>
>>63858310
The y worked with Disney on Knights of the Fallen Empire.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>63858638
when does disney get the rights back to make their own games?
>>
>>63859518
What is the story behind this? I don't understand what their mission/objectives are.
>>
>>63858638
How likely is EA to lose those rights? Seems to me like they would cling to the rights for dear life unless Disney comes after them. I don't see them losing the rights unless the they expire automatically after a preset date, in which case EA can't realistically hope to get an extension from Disney
>>
>>63859646
^this
how is it legal to EA retain rights to something granted by a party who is currently not a owner of the star wars franchise meaning the contract should be invalid legally?
>>
>>63859638

The Sith Empire "True" Empire basically the group that got beaten and fled left known space and licked their wounds, eventually they come back and a tug of war occurs beating the shit out of the entire galaxy.

This third group rises up out of Unknown space and basically stomps both sides. As a character no matter which side you choose, this is beginning of the story.
>>
>>63859646
>>63859701

EA signed a new deal with disney for making games, they're not losing the contact

http://gamerant.com/electronic-arts-star-wars-license-disney/

it happened a couple of years ago but they will most likely keep the license.
>>
>>63859865
fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu if only disney knew that gamers hate ea
>>
>>63859819
So these 2 and their father are sort of neutral? Neither light nor dark side?
>>
>>63859638
The "Eternal Empire" emerges from the Unknown Regions and swiftly conquers both the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic.
>>
>>63858310
Is it wrong that I find this trailer to be more emotionally appealing than what I have heard about Episode VII so far?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A
>>
>>63859884
They're Dark Side, though the brother in black is implied to be more Light leaning.

They also have a sister who's super sadistic.
>>
>>63859925
Nope, it's a really good trailer. Would much rather see this shit canonized and filmed than what we're getting now.
>>
>>63859884

I haven't finished the story yet but it is more about power than what side of the force but I can honestly say I do not know the whole story yet, sorry.

At the end only reason he acknowledges him as his son is he completed the trial by going to dark side and killing his brother, but it is more likely to do with ruthlessness and building a heir.
>>
>>63859865
All EA has to do is keep the customers happy and so far with Battlefront and TOR they have failed, I doubt Disney hasn't noticed.
>>
File: Emperor_chair.png (415 KB, 775x723) Image search: [Google]
Emperor_chair.png
415 KB, 775x723
>>63859884
Their father is actually the Sith Emperor, who created the Sith Empire to use to weaken the Republic, so he could come in with his Eternal Empire and conquer the entire Galaxy after they are weakened.
>>
>>63859884
Not exactly, they're the remnants of the old Sith Empire that was defeated by Revan. Though the Emperor considers himself beyond either Sith or Jedi.
>>
>>63860026

Tor seems to be doing fine considering how it fell on its face three years ago and Battlefront while not surpassing expectations is still better than a lot of starwars outings..

I mean shit people don't remember Force Commander and AOE rip-offs and a lot of other branding in games they've done.

Success is relative where starwars has good games but that hasn't been the norm. A lot of shit has been produced under the brand of Starwars and some of the most cult successes are owned by EA through Bioware, even if bioware is technically gone and they just own the name, they still own it.

So like NFL, I don't think the license is going anywhere. EA is one of the best corporations for ruthlessness, hell their ceo looks like a bond villain
>>
>>63858310
>tfw no qt/sexy Twilek in the new movies because Disney

why_live.png
>>
>>63859925
>the white one fell to the dark side
I-Is this true poetry?
>>
File: 6467675467.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
6467675467.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>63860123
>>
>>63860026
TOR's actually been doing really well for itself since it went F2P, and they've added in a lot of things people wanted and made a lot of changes based on feedback. You really shouldn't listen to /v/ on what the current state of the game is like.
>>
>>63860026
TOR's actually one of the most profitable and well respected F2P mmos on the market right now.

You shouldn't believe everything you hear on /v/ because /v/ doesn't really know what's up with TOR anymore.
>>
>>63860152
What is that face at the end trying to convey?
>>
>>63860327
that she's gonna get fucked
>>
>>63860103
Battlefront either needs a full revamp or they need to drop it and put out a new game in its place.
The whole 4 planets thing is super fucking bullshit even EA knows that, hell the first dlc level was another fucking desert level.
They didn't even go through the trouble of including the option to wear First Order armor in that pack, not only that but them skipping out on the prequel stuff, space battles, more unique character classes, and single player really pissed people off.
Fuck them for killing that cool as fuck Battlefront 3 by free radical.
>>
>>63860327
Fear you fucking idiot.
>>
>>63860490
>Fear
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>63860490
kek'd audibly.
>>
>>63860537
First
Encounter
Assault
Recon
>>
>>63860366

I agree the idea they had to transition from fighting in the sky to fighting in space alone was a badass idea and would have made for interesting, fluid battles where you could receive reinforcements from planet
>>
>>63860582
Even the feeling of just getting into a ship, flying into the enemies ship, and fucking it all up from the inside is never replicated in the new BF.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.