[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The good: >the humor was pretty good, never any cringeworthy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 15
File: tfa_poster_wide_header_adb92fa0.jpg (1 MB, 2160x1417) Image search: [Google]
tfa_poster_wide_header_adb92fa0.jpg
1 MB, 2160x1417
The good:
>the humor was pretty good, never any cringeworthy joke moments
>Kylo Ren was great. The end lightsaber duel between him and Rey was pretty good.
>I liked that they never forced a relationship between Rey and Finn. you can tell Finn wants to give Rey the bbc though
> Han's death scene hit me even though I saw it coming
>The way that they focused on the new generation of characters and added in the old ones as they went along felt like it went along easily.
>In terms of old characters, Han had the best part.
>In terms of new characters, Rey was the best one.
>I loved Oscar Isaac. I hope his part in Episode 8 is bigger, he deserves it.
>the Starkiller base aerial battle was fucking awesome.
>Snoke was pretty cool.

the bad:
>some of the shots from the trailers weren't in the movie, like Maz giving Leia Luke's lightsaber.
>Phasma was underused as fuck.
>I don't like saying this but the score was probably the weakest of all seven movies.
>Hux was slightly annoying, at times he seemed a bit over the top.

I don't get why /tv/ is bashing this movie, it was damn good. Solid 8.5/10.

V>IV>VII>VI>III>II>I
>>
>I don't get why /tv/ is bashing this movie, it was damn good. Solid 8.5/10.

I liked it, but I wish it had a few improvements.

-The best parts about the score were borrowed from other films. Even the prequels had great original music.
-Some things were unexplained or not well-established, mainly the relationship between the Republic, the Resistance, and the First Order. R2 coming awake seemed random and out of place but was probably caused by Rey, but that's not really shown.
-The destruction of the Starkiller was kind of anti-climactic. Think about how tense it was in ANH or RotJ. The Starkiller fighter battle was kind of an afterthought, more paying tribute than actually being engaging.
-That shitty last helicopter shot and Luke not being in the movie at all until the very end.

If I'd have done this movie I'd probably change the Starkiller base from being a new Death Star to just being an Imperial Base that the Resistance assaults. Or, if we keep the Starkiller, don't destroy it in the same movie. Maybe weaken or disable it, but not destroy. I'd also have Luke show up earlier. I don't mind Rey's force powers, but I think it would have been much better to have the new dorks get their asses handed to them and saved by Luke. Kylo's red saber getting intercepted from an off-screen green saber would have been the biggest cheering moment in the entire franchise.
>>
>>63793441
This post is correct 2bh.

Definitely thought it was better than ROTJ.

The movie moved a little to fast for me though,i feel like it should of been 20-30 minutes longer. Hope we get to see the whole movie eventually because some scenes and characters were cut (constable zuvio for one)
>>
/tv/ is bashing it cause its popular and they hate popular things. And they like to be contrarians for the sake of being a contrarian
>>
>>63793441
The Good
> Kylo Ren being a character who was conflicted on what choice to make until LITERALLY nothing of the light was left and he fell into darkness
> Poe fucking up 13 fuckers in a single camera shot
> Finn and Poe Broship
> BB8
> Rey (when we first met her)
> The Snowy Lightsaber Battle
> The sound effects for the lightsabers
> All of the aerial fights
> Puppets and practical effects
> Hux Speech

The Bad:
> The Cargo ship scene once the thugs and giant rolling tentacle monsters show up
> Captain "into the trash it goes" Phasma not getting much action
> Not enough Poe
>The unremarkable soundtrack, which is weakest in the series by miles
> Pacing was somewhat frantic
> The weird panning shot at the end where Rey just holds out the lightsaber and Luke looks at her. It lasted for way to long and probably should have cut to credits once Rey held out his Lightsaber.
> Some of the references were a little two tounge in cheek
> The whole Jedi mind trick scene was... off and uncomfortable to me

But to be honest a lot of the bad is nit picky shit, great movie. Can't wait for 8.
>>
/tv/ are contrarian faggots and I liked everything about it OTHER than how it kind of follows the plot of the original movie a bit too closely

>cute droid that goes beep bloop has important hologram given to him by a resistance fighter about to get captured
>protagonist faffs about on a desert planet for the first act
>mentor figure takes them to a quirky bar full of weird aliens
>escape stormtroopers lead by scary sith guy in a mask whos been seen bullying his underlings so far
>go meet the rebels to plan a counter attack
>day is saved by fighter pilots flying through a trench to blow up the death stars weak point

felt like nostalgia baiting and playing it safe
>>
>>63793441
What the fuck was the point of Phasma? Is she even still alive? That's the most confusing thing I got out of the movie.
>>
>>63793441
>Kylo Ren was great.
Really? That huge nosed jew who threw temper tantrums every 10 minutes?
Get the fuck outta here.
He's the least menacing, unconvincing dark side character from the entire series.
Even hayden christensen as darth vader was far more convincing than the crybaby jew.
>>
File: asdn123nd391j12.png (274 KB, 336x412) Image search: [Google]
asdn123nd391j12.png
274 KB, 336x412
>>63794701
Oh yeah?
>>
>>63794701
>If I call every ugly white Christian actor Jewish maybe people would forget we look like twisted albinos
It's a bold strategy
>>
>>63793796
my thoughts exactly. why the hell hype starkiller to be this awesome sun eating weapon, and simply destroy it. it would make the movie stand out, and not only be the copy of ANH.

also Rey's become op as fuck in matter of minutes, which is fucking bullshit. made Kylo look weak and useless. i get he was wounded, but still it's bullshit. Luke in ESB can hardly move a lightsaber from distance, and she can overpower a seasoned force user, and then dominate him in duel, which is insane. she can fight with a stick, not with a saber for fucks sake!
>>
>>63794701
Agreed. Klyo had a lot of potential but he came off as an autistic 12 year old.
>>
The Good:

>new characters are not annoying, are both funny, relatable and strong
>the aerial action scenes are the fucking bomb, that shit was gorgeous as FUCK
>that little fucking ball robot is cute, yo
>the plot holds up pretty well
>Kylo Ren starts out pretty meh, but honestly develops into a stronger character as the film goes on - well handled

The Bad:

>Han dying lost most of the effect when they overplayed the scene like Christopher Walken reading Shakespeare
>the scene was also a pretty shitty sendoff to Han Solo. would've been better if all the trench running and shit on the Starkiller base would've failed and then Han and Chewie would've made an epic bro-run at the oscillator thing, sacrificing their lives to save the Resistance
>the worldbuilding game is not very strong. of course it's a trilogy, but it would've been nice to get more of a big picture
>it feels, at times, like a big budget professional crew fan film, feels like just a bunch of guys going STAR WARS IS AWESOME YO!!! ALL THIS AWESOME STAR WARS SHIT

The ???

>pretty much just ANH, can be good or bad, whatever - clever homage or a shameless ripoff and cash grab on nostalgia
>>
>>63794244
VII felt too much as introduction to VIII

also Rey pulling force powers out of her ass were pretty much all bad. good way to destroy a character.
>>
>>63793796
I agree with the part about Luke. I was really hoping Rey would be about to receive the death blow from Kylo Ren, only to have Luke save her.
>>
>>63794701

I don't think he's supposed to be menacing. This shit is actually pretty clever. I mean, he's a temperamental emo child - only he's got force powers and a fucking lightsaber instead of a spoon and an emo poetry book.

He throws a tantrum at his dad, only, this kills the dad.

He's a deconstruction of a badass sith, essentially. This isn't a bad thing.
>>
>>63793441
It is a movie made for children.
>>
>>63793796
awww shit, it would be ballers to see luke save Rey. there would be no way to explain why he's doing that, except for some force bullshit, but still... also would explain better why R2 woke up. i'm not against deus ex machina situations, but that was downright silly, especially because he had the whole map in his memory.
>>
>>63795015

also some more shit

Bad:

>Rey becomes way too OP way too fast. what happened to character development? She needs some fucking teachin' before she's off doing that shit. Would've been better if all the three main heroes had been involved in driving off but not actually defeating Kylo Ren, instead of Rey just becoming the Force Master God Fucker because plot, lol :D
>story seems a little overcrowded
>all the actual impact gets drowned in the noise
>story plays like a best-of montage

Not a bad movie by any stretch, definitely nowhere near as horrible as Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, but it's got a lot of weak points, but also some really great shit, too.
>>
File: wew.jpg (747 KB, 1866x2026) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
747 KB, 1866x2026
The movie is terrible. You are not a fan of star wars at all

>>63793995
If you use the word "contrarian", you're literally just an idiot. It's an invented concept by idiots with reddit sensibilities who are too fragile to deal with criticism of mediocre media that has widespread appeal.

It's a troubling manifestation of millennials' mental weakness. Seriously, the only people who would even entertain any "argument" involving the concept of being "contrarian" are weak, lazy idiots who can't deal with criticism substantively.

It it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed shit designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like Star Wars, breaking Bad, etc., you should find a safe bubble and stay there. Or kill yourself.
>>
>>63793441
Endless threads filled with normie memeing faggots.
>muh fantasy movie
Fucking faggot memers.
>>
>>63795578

>you no fan of STARSY WARSY
>MILLENIALS ARE WEAK
>reddit SENSUH BILLYTIES!!!
>MEDYA IS MEDIOCR
>LOWEST COMMON DEMOMIMATOR
>KILL URSELF

Shit, dude, I feel like there should be a bingo. If you're looking for highbrow entertainment in your Hollywood productions, I've got some really bad news for you.

I'm not the guy you were replying to.
>>
>>63795758
not the guy you were replying to but you have the same IP as the guy he was replying to.
>>
>>63793441

I wanted to see who was in the Silver Stormtrooper suit, is she qt?
>>
Agreed
>>
My issue is that nothing was explained, no one had any real motivation. If you removed the mentions of the Force, it could have been an above average sci fi movie. Just didn't feel like Star Wars. Also hated Kylo Ren, absolutely no characterization.
>>
>>63796019

This would be hard, given that I'm genuinely not >>63793995 .

I'm >>63795520
>>63795015
>>63795150

these, and that one post.
>>
If yolo ren knew bb8 was so important why have some dumbass from the first order go after it?
>>
File: 0022-1328366127814.jpg (79 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
0022-1328366127814.jpg
79 KB, 400x384
Man, I wanted to make a big thread with several posts, but no one would care anyway, so might as well post here.

Good

>it's fracking Star Wars
>practical effect/animatronics/makeup
>x-wing vs. tie fighter
>Kylo Ren/Ben Solo was masterfully executed as a character, kudos both to JJ and to Adam Driver
>surprisingly, Fin, actually enjoyed the character and the acting
>Rey was not annoying except that one independent womyn scene
>Han, Leia, Chewie
>BB8 was the bomb
>good humour
>acceptable lightsabre fight since it was two amateurs vs. one badly injured apprentice
>Starkiller weapon that can go through hyperspace was neat
Bad

>out of place music
>music was too loud at times, could have been my theatre tho
>CGI Snork
>wtf kind of a name is Snork anyway?
>that annoying little creature with the spectacles, the entire scene
>it feels some scenes are missing, Knight of Ren backstory, etc.

Overall, 8.5/10, very close to Old Trilogy quality. Went with my family, enjoyed it, plan to see it another time with friends next week and at least one time alone. We could nitpick the small stuff all night long, but at the end of it, the movies was really good and did the franchise justice.
>>
>>63795578
Lots of retarded comments from some Star Wars nerd.
>>
>>63796498
>>it's fracking Star Wars
Pathetic even for a big pleb like you mr eko

Go back to not posting again
>>
>>63796692
When did hating Star Wars become the norm?

We both know you liked it, /tv/ trolling aside.

Don't deny your inner kid experience the magic anon.
>>
1. Casting was a terrible choice, not even talking Boyega.
>Main bad guys are pretty boys that look like they're in a boy band
>Kylo Ren basically has Linkin Parks Numb as his theme song
>Hans child speaks with a British accent
>Rey's British accent is too fucking thick that it's distracting
Poe may have very well been the only decent choice

2. The new people CANNOT FUCKING ACT
>Alright Boyega deliver this line... Okay now try to do it without looking like a clueless bafoon
>Alright girl that plays Rey with feeling. Okay now try to act as if you aren't a dime theater actor
>Kylo Ren act as if you are a complete emo brat. Good Perfect
Poe was again average.

3. The writing is god awful
>Embrace me my son you are better than
>>Thanks dad... Tough luck kid
>OMG YOU ARE BLOODY HAN SOLO. THE SMUGGLER OF THE REBELS THAT DID 14 BONGS IN DA BLOODY PARSEC RACE!!!

4. Everything center screen is TOO FOCUSED. Every character not center screen looks fucking Photoshopped in.

5. The movie is soulless. You never care about the characters, hell I laughed when Han died because the scene was terrible.

6. Rey is marry sue and Kylo is a plot device and that's it

In the end it lacks any sense of theme, moral or beauty and feels as if it was written by a fifth grader.
>>
>>63796915
Trying way to hard. Successful trolling is a art and requires finesse.

>You never care about the characters

Yes we did, I even cared for BB8, a god damn ball.
>>
>>63797313
BB8 was the only good.

I couldn't come to care at all about Be, Rey, Fin, Poe. They were just garbage. Poorly acted and poorly written.

Han seemed disinterested the entire film but he was still Han except that final scene where he breaks character and gets gutted. I laughed because "What the fuck was that?"

it truly is a giant piece of shit from a literary and artistic stand point
>>
>>63795169
suits you then
>>
>>63797417
>Be
Ben
>>
>>63797417
Ben/Kylo was fantastically written and acted, not sure what you mean. It was a pleasure watching him.

>Han seemed disinterested the entire film but he was still Han except that final scene where he breaks character and gets gutted. I laughed because "What the fuck was that?"

Facing your son who is now a renowned dark side villain would do that. Family trumps all.
>>
EVERYTHING WAS TAKEN FROM THE PREVIOUS FILMS. RESKINNED.
>>
>>63797579
>Han Solo: P... PLease come home son?
>Ben: No dad I'm dark and edgy now
>Han Solo: Me and your mother still love you
>Ben: Is that so? Then I know what I must do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2REZSj4XnE

Han from the original trilogy
>Han: Get your ass over here now Ben
>Ben: But dad I'm a sith
>Han: I'm not asking
>>
>>63797579
>Ben/Kylo was fantastically written and acted
LOL
>>
>>63797703
Han is old and sentimental not a young rascal. You will understand when you have children of your own.

>>63797742
Not an argument.
>>
>>63793441
>the humor was pretty good, never any cringeworthy joke moments

I disagree. The interaction with BB-8 while Rey was fixing the Falcon was good up until he said "Robot, please". Pretty lazy to do a "Nigga, please" joke, and completely ruined the scene.
>>
>>63797794
>You will understand when you have children of your own.
In the middle of enemy territory where both of you could die at any second? Fuck no maybe in private and Han would be angry as fuck it's not like his son is the only thing he has left he just loves his son. so yeah from a character perspective Han solo should have been angry and demanding at that scene. It would still convey love and affection without the need for suspension of disbelief

it's literally hack writing and not understanding the characters.
>>
>>63797901
Robot Please was the only time I didn't like Finn's lines and performances. He was a standout.

I also think that Kylo was interesting, the whole Vader fetishist who is being rebellious but is out of his league worked really well for me.
>>
Damn, this nigga went full Hitler in that speech.
>>
>>63797941
>so yeah from a character perspective Han solo should have been angry and demanding at that scene.

He had been all of that years ago.

You do understand these characters had years of history with one another, right? I am sure Han had trouble accepting it at the beginning, there were fights, threats, anger, shouting... etc., he is well in the acceptance and sadness phase now.

This is really basic stuff anon.
>>
BEN
>>
File: DFbyVRn.webm (666 KB, 720x308) Image search: [Google]
DFbyVRn.webm
666 KB, 720x308
>>63793441
Good:
>BB8
>Kylo, yeah I liked him

Bad:
>Deathstar 3.0
>>
>>63798080
terrible trolling

>Let's have our soap box in the middle of enemy territory

I don't care if your dead wife comes back from the grave. Han is the type to grab and go not soap box regardless of years of experience.

I ain't even mad. Search your feelings you know it to be true
>>
File: keep-calm-and-poe-dameron.png (387 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-poe-dameron.png
387 KB, 600x700
>>
I gotta ask... Does anyone have any official images of Supreme Leader Snoke? I'll be eternally grateful
>>
>>63798158
You don't have children, you can't understand, one day you will.

Applying /tv/'s nitpicking logic only works on paper, in actual situations things are way more complicated and convoluted.

I never trollâ„¢
>>
>>63798241
>You don't have children
>You couldn't understand
Calm the fuck down Kylo
>>
>>63794414
and yet if they did write something original then people would bitch and complain about how bad the prequels where or some shit

cant win
>>
>>63798282
It's true tho, I can't present you with another argument. It's like trying to explain blue to a colour blind person.
>>
>>63793796
>Kylo's red saber getting intercepted from an off-screen green saber would have been the biggest cheering moment in the entire franchise.

Fuck you, now I'm sad this didn't happen
>>
Oh wait, remembered one more thing...

I really did not like Hux. Not in the good "I hate him cuz he is portraying that evil character really well" more like the character itself was just meh, a caricature of a nazi really.
>>
>>63793441
it was a good film for what it is. anyone who dislikes it, just dislikes star wars, which is completely reasonable.
>>
Are there any links where I can watch it yet? I am broke at the moment.
>>
>>63794948

That's the point of the character, Kylo wants to be Vader but know he might not have his power. He's emotionally stunted and desperate. He's supposed to be a bratty kid.
>>
>>63798041
hux was fucking based, sad that he'll likely get killed in the next movie
>>
>>63796915

spot on
>>
Why was Phasma so underutilized? When she got serious in that scene where they were trying to make her do something, I excited and thought she was going to take them all on by herself. Hell, they could've even tied it into the garbage disposal and have it be their retreat from her.
>>
File: tmp_25459-1531455297598.jpg (9 KB, 236x285) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25459-1531455297598.jpg
9 KB, 236x285
>>63799047

He can't. He's gotta become the taxmaster first.
>>
>>63798412
>You don't see things my way therefore my bias view is correct and your view based on established faculties is wrong
>>
>>63799130
i wish she'd been the stormtrooper who fought fin with the lightsaber baton thing, it would have made so much sense
>>
File: 1448246485690.jpg (39 KB, 601x451) Image search: [Google]
1448246485690.jpg
39 KB, 601x451
>>63793818
OP and this have perfectly summed up my thoughts on this movie.

Anyone else hype for Rey to get a double-bladed lightsaber? I mean she's clearly trained with a staff, it would only make sense
>>
>>63793818
Wow you are a fucking idiot. ROTJ had something this movie didn't. TENSION and EMOTION.
>>
>>63794244
>> Kylo Ren being a character who was conflicted on what choice to make until LITERALLY nothing of the light was left and he fell into darkness

Kylo Ren fucking SUCKED in this movie. When him and han meet I felt NOTHING.
>>
>>63798804
go away Disney. thats not what this thread is about.
>>
>>63796915
One hundred percent agree, I've seen people even here on /tv/ praising the cast as incredibly successful. They were all pretty fucking plain to be honest, specially Rey. Typical cookie cutter character writing and on top of that lame acting. Kylo was redeemable though, and he was at least interesting to watch. Nothing to write home about though.
>>
>>63799655
look at how quickly the board is moving
we have retards from all over the site posting here right now
>>
File: 1450154398284.jpg (52 KB, 716x724) Image search: [Google]
1450154398284.jpg
52 KB, 716x724
>>63794244
>a little two tounge in cheek
>>
>>63799729
I'm retarded for noticing shit acting/writing?
>>
We'll call this movie the piece of shit it actually is in a couple of month. It was released 2 days ago, people are still in deny.
Next week we'll have anger (STFU ITS NOT THAT SHITTY). And the week after, we'll have bargain (Next movie will redeem the new trilogy, right guys?). The week after, it will be acceptance (alright, it was shit, star wars is officially dead).

Screenscape this, it will happen.
>>
>>63793441
Episode 7 was such a trash movie. The prequels were better. JJ Abrams should be gassed. I never thought I'd say it, but I want Lucas back.
>>
What planet did the Starkiller blow up with the Republic? Was it Couresant?
>>
Poe Dameron's first scene with Kylo was pretty fucking cringeworthy m8
>>
The bad:
Rey's way of running. Holy shit this pissed me off, she takes tiny steps when she runs and it just looks really weird.

Finn, a mortal with zero connection to the force being able to use a lightsaber against a 'sith' and even deal him damage.

Rey, who never touched a saber in her life is suddenly proficient with it and absolutely destroys Ren, who had training, with no other explanation than 'The force'.

Other than that, it was quite enjoyable
>>
What the fuck kind of a name is Snoke?
>>
>>63800435
Rey was probably mind wiped and dumped on Jakku by Luke. When the force awakened she remembered everything. It was all real.

Ben is probably trying to get Rey to train again and defeat the emperor supreme which he feels he is unable to.
>>
>>63795520
Supposedly Rey suddenly gets to be OP because she was already trained in the temple and possibly mindwiped by Luke and left on Jakku.
>>
>>63796861
>When did hating Star Wars become the norm?
Prequel series.
>>
The Good
>Finn was a better character than expected and his journey from coward to fighter felt appropriate
>Driver was better than expected as Ren, but I had trouble understanding his motivation to be darkside. There should have been more explanation why he turned against Luke, hopefully this will be expanded in sequels
>The gags were appreciated and didn't feel out-of-place
>In terms of style and visuals, the lightsabre duel in the dark, snowy forest was the best in the entire saga, just wish it had lasted longer and the characters had more to fight for
>Han Solo was great and really held the narrative together. Was by far the strongest bridge between the two trilogies

The Bad
>Don't see why they had to kill off a character as iconic as Solo. Ford must have wanted out
>The over-arching narrative of this trilogy will obviously be Ren's redemption but I don't think I care enough to see him redeemed.
>Snoke was just awful, almost farcical character
>I thought Luke would have played a much greater role. He wasn't in the movie proper and his reveal was very lackluster.
>The movie is very flat around the middle when they visit Maz, the pacing didn't feel like star wars at all
>Spend more time recalling the previous trilogy than advancing this trilogy at all
>Rey was an uninteresting character with a confused backstory, wasn't rooting for her like I should have been
>>
The music sucked! All the new songs were just noise that didn't seem to go anywhere. Overall it was pretty good and the humor was suprisingly very well done, it's not an ESB type movie we all thought and is more like the original.
>>
Imo 6>7.
Yeah it had ewoks which were shit but it also had quintessential Luke and jedi scenes.
>>
>>63800701
Two bad apples and a sour one won't spoil my fun and enjoyment of the rest of the basket. Might be just me tho.
>>
>>63793441
>no cringeworthy humor moments
what?
There were like 3 kee and peel skits in there it was fucking awful. Get your head checked senpai.
>>
>>63800435
>Rey, who never touched a saber in her life
is this even stated in the movie, or is this your personal asspull?
>>
>>63794701
This is literally the point. You are retarded.
>>
>>63793441

Pros
>Aerial action scenes incredibly well done
>Legitimately funny scenes and dialog that never crossed too much into memery/Josh territory
>excellent sound effects - crackling light sabers, blasters, droid sounds all dead on
>really great job on cast wardrobe, in fact it was perfect
>I enjoyed spazzy autistic sith, it was a new take
>good to see a female lead in SW finally and she did a good job

Cons
>worst score of any star wars film. The prequels were terrible but even they had great music
>Ray too good at everything too fast - incredible pilot, incredible mechanic, incredible melee fighter, great shot, stronger force powers than a sith lord trained by two masters on her first attempt at using them, mind controls stormtrooper 007 with no training and never having tried it before, wins a force tug of war with a sith lord over a lightsaber never having tried it before
>no good white characters for white kids to identify with in a franchise with a majority white male base, every single white male was a nazi or 80 years old
>forced promotion of interracial race mixing, I'm sorry but /pol/ is right sometimes, and once you start seeing it as a forced message - which it is Abrams has flat out said so in interviews - it just becomes annoying and takes you out of the story. Black male/white female again. It just felt jammed in there and fake, like it was the directors politics which it was. Doesn't help he cast the blackest looking guy in Africa, jesus at least get some admixture in there. Was the worst part of the film and partially ruined film because it just felt so forced
>>
>>63801132

I would agree with your last point about forced interracial stuff and I went into the cinema expecting to be rolling my eyes at that shit. But Finn really won me over and I fell in love with him a little bit my self.
>>
There's one thing I don't understand:

What's the resistance?
What relationship do they have with the republic?
>>
>no one's mentioning Jakku escape with the millenium falcon as great-tier scene
That shit put a smile to my face
>>
File: Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-12.png (186 KB, 936x590) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-12.png
186 KB, 936x590
>>63798478
>tfw when you'll never see Rey on her knees with a red saber to her throat
>heart pounding music
>cut away to R2-D2 for a split second...a light comes on
>back to the scene...Finn on the ground at a distance, wounded and saying "no!"
>saber pulled back for the final blow...
>...music changes...
>...saber comes down...
>...the sound of another saber igniting and a clash...
>...red on green...
>...Ren's "oh fuck" face illuminated by the sabers...
>...Luke's resolved face...this is not happening bitch...
>...rey crawls away as Luke and Ren turn to fight one another...
>>
>>63800991
Hahahahaha seriously?
>>
>>63801132
For your last point, while I don't believe in all the /pol/ "muh racemixing" bullshit, I feel bad for Boyega : he is a surprisingly decent actor, but yeah, he feels forced as fuck and his cast is politically motivated more than anything.

>she did a good job
You're joking, right? Because she is the worst actor in the whole movie.

Anyway, personnally, I was dissapointed by the movie and I won't go see the other episodes. The movie felt off. I guess it's not a movie for fans, but for opening the franchise to a younger generation, and I'm somewhat not in touch with newer generations. It was actually too disney for me.
>>
Can anyone tell me how the fuck did Poe get out of Jakko?
>>
File: 1437151166442.png (947 B, 416x454) Image search: [Google]
1437151166442.png
947 B, 416x454
>>63793441
>subjectively breaking it down

Don't even need to. The biggest problem with this movie is how bland and not really memorable. Not a bad movie at all, I totally agree with the 8.5 score, but at the end of the day it wasn't anything super special. I mean, besides the obvious character kill, it didn't risk much, and went for the safest stuff.

So we got a super hyped quality product. It's well directed, written, acted, scored, all that good shit, only real technical problem is the pacing and fucking terrible awkward end, but it isn't more than that. It's your standard popcorn movie, where you go in and have fun for an hour or two.

btw we can all agree that Rey is a Kenobi, right?
>>
>>63800435
>Rey, who never touched a saber in her life is suddenly proficient with it and absolutely destroys Ren, who had training, with no other explanation than 'The force'.

Ben was badly hurt and bleeding. Even Finn managed to score one single cut against him.
>>
>>63801489
>Rey is a Kenobi
She's a Yoda.
>>
>>63801283

I had no problem with him as an actor. If he had been cast in the rebel pilot role and the pilot had been the stormtrooper I probsbly would have enjoyed it a lot more.

The forced racemixing BM/WF trope just feels so forced now, once you learn what a huge personsl political agenda it is for people like Abrams it just feels so contrived. I mean I would feel the same way if he had his lead character make a big political speech on abortion or isreal/palestine or something. Just keep political/social agendas out of the plot and tell us a good story.
>>
>>63801301
>New Republic and Empire sign treaty
>Empire cannot have a military and is confined to the core worlds
>New Republic changes their planet captial every so often to a different host planet.
>Hosnian Prime was the capital at the time of TFA
>The Republic does not want to engage with the First Order
>Resistance is created by people who see the threat of the First Order
>New Republic wants to stay out of it
>They get rekt

More or less that
>>
>>63801566

Thanks anon, may the force be with you.
>>
>went to the premier with a bunch of friends and coworkers
>at work most people havent seen it yet
>one guy asks me how it was
>tell him it was great
>"I heard han solo dies. Is that true?"
>cant think of anything to say
>im a terrible liar and if I say No he'll know what happens
>if I say that I wont spoil it for him, that would just tell him what happens as well
>make the split second decision to tell him that Kylo is his son, and he kills him, but say it like its a joke
>that way I can leave the conversation on a good note and he'll still be shocked by it when he watches it
You know when you were in middle school and you would say a curse word and just then the whole class got quiet right as youre saying it?
>"Yeah, he gets killed by Kylo Ren whos also his son! haha!"
>some retard was eavesdropping and starts chewing me out for spoiling it
>now my master plan has failed
>a bunch of other people heard it too and theyre mad at me too
Fuck you fags if you actually cared about it you wouldve gone yesterday
>>
File: ANIKAN-SABER-LULZ.gif (779 KB, 720x306) Image search: [Google]
ANIKAN-SABER-LULZ.gif
779 KB, 720x306
Thank god the lightsaber duels were good. Nothing like pic related.
>>
The biggest letdown was by far the original soundtrack. The prequels, despite all their major flaws, had great fucking music. Star Wars has always delivered on that front. This time it was just forgettable.

Otherwise 8/10 movie. Way above prequels, but not quite as high as the OT, yet they're building on something.

I kind of liked how they toned down the lightsaber choreography. Sound effects were great and it felt very powerful. I'm hoping we'll see their skills steadily progress.

Another problem is that some things aren't made very clear:

Is Finn force sensitive? This will become clear later on for sure, but I feel they could have made it clear by now.

I didn't get the whole Republic/Resistance relationship. It was very vague.
>>
>>63801782
Oh fuck that shit
You dont ask a question like that and get mad when it gets spoiled for you
>>
This movie really, really needed better OST

I mean, the prequels werent that good, but goddamn the OST was incredible
Same with the original trilogy

Its ok if they want to use old OST like leia and han solo theme, but cmon, its a new story, i NEED TO FEEL THE MOMENT WITH A GREAT SONG
>>
>>63801853

Your pic was a shit spot in an otherwise amazing battle.

One thing I will give the prequels: the choreography of the saber battles was far more sophisticated then the other movies. Which fits considering these were life long Jedi training and working under the old order at its peak.

If you insert Obi Wan...even Episode I Obi Wan...into any battle in the non-prequel movies, he would literally rape every other person with a saber.
>>
>>63801934

Yeah, kind of disappointed this time. Makes me sad because it's likely Williams getting too old for this shit.
>>
>>63795578
>all this edge
>>
>>63801488
The force bro
>>
>>63801422
Hahahahaha yes!
bro dude LOL
>>
I have some basic knowledge of the next movie. Nothing that can't easily be guessed

Kylo is mentally, not spiritually, ill. He was born with a psychotic disorder and Han and Leia didn't know what to do. They figured it was a Dark Side problem, so they sent him to Luke, who ended up not being able to help. Luke essentially believed in trying to faith heal him, which didn't work because it's a MEDICAL problem.

Luke is not going to solve all of the problems in the movie, in fact, he's going to be a major barrier in many ways. Kylo's arc is very much going to be about how he's bounced between religious fanatics promising they can cure his illness basically his entire life, including Luke.

Next ep will touch in a general sense on the concept that the Jedi Order is still just a religion with all of the shortcomings thereof.

Luke will be deeply self-hating and angsty and will be endlessly searching for the reason why he couldn't help Kylo. His mind is totally scattered and part of him is convinced that the Dark Side force users will always arise if there are Light Side force users because of the balance disruption, and that he re-birthed the Sith by attempting to create new Jedi.

He will be under the impression that this is what happened to Kylo, and that it's his fault. He will struggle with the idea that Kylo's illness is mental and not spiritual and that those two things are not always connected. In the end, after a lot of bitching, he will admit that maybe Kylo has a problem that can't be solved by The Force and, in a larger sense, that problems that can't be solved by The Force exist at all, and he will grow as a character.
>>
Is it just me or was it kind of obvious from the cinematography that Rey is Luke's daughter and both she and Kylo Ren will end up dueling again as the grand children of Darth Vader?
>>
For those of you calling Rey a Mary Sue because she's able to use the force so soon, consider the following:
>A New Hope: Luke can just instantly block the blasts from that training probe with no other training; thats literally the first time we see him train. All Obi-Wan said was to stretch out with his feelings.
>Phantom Menace: Qui-Gon gives Ani a quick pep talk about using his feelings and boom, instantly wins the podrace.

At least with Rey, we get to see her do some mildly badass shit like beating up some thugs with her staff and repairing the Falcon. Makes sense that she can fix shit, she can sure as hell take it all apart.

>>63794948
He completely loses his shit at three different points during the movie, so of course hes gonna come off like a bratty kid.
he IS the son of Han and Leia, after all.
>>
>>63793441
the cgi was very good, especially at the end
bb8 was rendered flawlessly

there was quite a few matte scenes which had fixed cameras i guess for the 3d, wish the cameras had some dynamic movements instead
>>
>>63802505
BB8 was all practical, with the exception of maybe two shots.
>>
>>63802454
It wasn't even the cinematography. Maz basically alluded to it when she said that whoever Rey was waiting on (her mom) wasn't going to come back, but that someone else was going to be in her future (daddy Luke). And why else would Rey have had such a strong reaction to the lightsaber?
>>
>>63801488
>>
>>63802559
Well the scene of Rey and Kylo\Ben being separated by that chasm during their lightsaber duel did seem more than blatant as well
>>
File: Count_Dooku_headshot_gaze.jpg (50 KB, 389x524) Image search: [Google]
Count_Dooku_headshot_gaze.jpg
50 KB, 389x524
Leave Snoke to me.
>>
The humor was pretty dull to be honest.
>>
>>63802447
reverse Scientology/10
>>
>>63801488
Why didn't he go looking for his droid? why did he just go back to the base without sending help?
>>
So would it make more sense if Snoke was Darth Plagueis or if he was Luke?
>>
>>63801488
Thats a story for another time
>>
>>63793441
>never any cringeworthy joke moments
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>63801132
Ray is a fucking mary sue
>>
>>63802854
That's because she is Luke's daughter you dipshit
>>
>>63802481

She blocks and then REVERSES a force mind probe being used on her by a sith lord who has had over a decade of training under TWO jedi masters, and then reads his mind, having never used that power before or ever having been trained in it.

She wins a force contest over force-pulling a lightsaber with the same sith lord. The first time she has ever used this power and never having been trained in it. Luke had trouble pulling a lightsaber out if the fucking snow AFTER being trained by obi wan kenobi.

She completely force dominates and mind controls a stormtrooper in her first time using this power despite having never been trained in it.
>>
>>63802505

bb8 was not cgi, they built him
>>
>>63794948
>autistic 12 year old.
that's the fucking point desu sempai
>>
>>63802538
>>63803108

rly? that's even more impressive then
>>
Punished C3PO. C has come to.
>>
>>63803205
you can buy toy versions of him that work just like the big one in the movie. I have no idea how they keep the head form falling off the ball, but it works.
>>
>>63803317

Magnets.
>>
>>63799428
she'll probly get a double bladed light saber in her if you know what i mean
>>
>>63795015
I don't know, I thought about this too, but a sacrifice death is so cliche at this point. I liked that the point seemed to be that no matter what kind of crazy raid, they've got it down, they can handle it. The charges were set, they could have left, victory acheived. The death only comes in once they come out of hiding and yell the person's name. It felt very well done to me, because the starkiller base was so tacked on that having a death occur because of that alone would have been incredibly weak.
>>
>>63795578
>Breaking Bad

Nearly got me there nigga.
>>
>>63803032
>Kylo Ren isn't a SITH LORD
>Kylo Ren isn't a SITH LORD and was badly injured and bleeding.
>Mind trick is one of the easyests jedi powers to perform.
>>
>>63803317
that's pretty cool, inb4 being flipped on ebay for 500$
>>
It certainly wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Mostly just dull and predictable. Will be forgotten.
>>
>>63803032
I already have a theory regarding that though.
When Kylo looked into her mind, i think he left himself wide open, mentally. She got in, and she wasnt supposed to.
>>
>>63802454
Duh. The new trilogy is pretty much going to be the plot of Legacy of the Force, they just mixed Jaina with Ben (Luke's son in Legends) when they created Rey.
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.