[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John Williams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9
File: NE8Yop90CD49b8_1_1.jpg (76 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
NE8Yop90CD49b8_1_1.jpg
76 KB, 500x492
What happened to him?

Absolutely nothing interesting sounding. No catchy melodies, no goofy cantina music, no new epic main theme.

Just awful.
>>
>>63787685
Well considering the movie is a bland rushed piece of script only made to give Disney a return on their investment it seems like John Williams just cashed in his check and left. As he should.
I mean, this movie is just a recycled version of a new hope for people with less of an attention span.
I mean these people don't get that there is nothing behind these movies. No spark of creativity or originality.
This movie caters to as many people as possible because once you plaster the SW logo on it you know people will see it.

The new Star Wars movies like all superhero films and most Hollywood movies are just conveyer belt products, it reminds me of these factories where animals come to die and be processed as food. Sort like the state the film industry is in.
>>
>>63787685
He has always been making bland shit. Fucking hack, ever worse than Zimmer, I hope he dies soon.
>>
>>63787685
I've only heard the tracks "Torn Apart" and "Kylo Ren joins the Battle" so far, but they were really frusterating because they seem like they are edging toward a powerful crescendo, but they never quite get there.
>>
>>63787832
How can one person meme so much?
>>
Glib facsimile desu
>>
>>63787685
Talent goes away with age
>>
>>63787881
It never does.

Literally no new tracks, every track fades into the old melodies. We dont even get a unique theme for the final battle a'la clash of the fates.
>>
I liked the Sicario soundtrack a lot better
>>
>>63787881
>they seem like they are edging toward a powerful crescendo, but they never quite get there.
You mean like the movie itself?
>>
File: 1424077693748.jpg (12 KB, 232x282) Image search: [Google]
1424077693748.jpg
12 KB, 232x282
>>63787685
Rey's Theme is Harry Potter reloaded and the March of the Resistance is the Nazi leitmotif from Indy 3.
>>
The man is 83 years old
>>
>>63788035
So he's gone to Zimmerman level of re-using his old stuff so closely that you can't even tell which movie his music is from if you hear it?

Which wouldn't actually be bad if it was the old stuff from SW.
>>
he just can't keep up with the action movies nowadays that has much faster pace, but although his Tintin score was pretty catchy.
>>
>>63788122
He was 73 when he composed the RoTS score, which might be the most poigant score of his career.
>>
>>63787685
the guy himself said that the work was rushed and he only started working on a new iconic score in October. He didn't have time to finish it, so we will see it in the next star wars movie, which will maybe be awesome as fuck.
>>
Star Wars fans are living in the past

Go watch any films Lawrence Kasdan has written for in the past few years, the scripts suck ass

Go listen to any films Williams has done the soundtrack for in the past few years (Tintin for example), forgettable ass

All that nostalgia pandering. At least Howard Shore is still consistently amazing, probably the best thing about The Hobbit trilogy in fact

Reposting
>>
>>63788441
I thought Shore was kind of floundering with the hobbit scores 2bh, mostly 2 and 3. AUJ had good music.
>>
>>63787832
>John Williams
>bland
That's some seriously shitty opinion you've got there, Anon.
>>
>>63788549
Listen to his recent stuff senpai
>>
So Giacchino is taking over for Ep.8, right?
>>
>>63788388
maybe the music will be better, but the movies is probably guaranteed to suck .
>>
>>63787685

Society is too busy trying to treat teenagers like toddlers and say "their brains aren't fully developed" to realize that your brain starts deteriorating almost as soon as its fully developed. By 83, you're worse than a teenager.
>>
>>63787685
He didn't write the Star Wars 7 soundtrack, he just conducted the orchestra
>>
>>63788725
Stop posting this fucking meme. You've done it in 2 threads now
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=N_EK_tFz9ug

This cartoon had a better soundtrack than what Williams did for the film. Listen to this shit

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7s8DAdH7L3E
>>
>>63788599
The music will definitely be better, as even the prequels had awesome largely OT-tier music, and I'd reckon Force Awakens was better than the prequels.
Also, it won't be Jar Jar Abrams at the helm the next movie, and considering this one set up the future story quite well, I have good hope the next ones will be good.
>>
>>63788441
Tintin's score was freaking awesome desu
>>
>>63788813
https://youtube.com/watch?v=7s8DAdH7L3E

This is unashamed dog shit matey
>>
I don't mind the Force Awakens theme for the movie. It at least sounds like it's trying to say, "Yeah we fucked up with the prequels, so here's some fanservice instead."
>>
>>63787685

The main theme is great though.

What's missing is a big final duel theme. But half the other movies didn't have one either, I trust we'll get one in the next episodes when the stakes are higher and the outcome is more conclusive.
>>
>>63787957
He was amazing til like his late eighties. Couldn't have said he was declining from his work on Potter.
>>
He's 83, most people his age are happy if they don't shit their pants every day.
>>
File: doot dee doot.jpg (235 KB, 1366x581) Image search: [Google]
doot dee doot.jpg
235 KB, 1366x581
>>63787685
If someone wants It, here's the full movie soundtrack. TFA soundtrack.

https://mega.nz/#F!uMtiWQoZ!PDqVFb6fs4hxXQ040zz6aw
>>
>>63789233
But John William's prequel scores were absolutely amazing.
>>
>>63787685
I had the same thought about the movie. None of his music really bowled me over like it did in the OT.

That scene where Luke's aunt and uncle have been killed and he's standing there against the backdrop of the Tatooine sunset in ANH, the music almost fucking knocks you on your ass it's so strong. Same with the medal scene, really.

I didn't get any of that watching this movie. I never stopped and noticed the music, except for when Rey was pulling the lightsaber but even that was a rehash of an old melody.
>>
>>63790000
PREQUEL GET

Also I never said the music was bad. Just that the movies were a disappointment, so this music piece says that Episode VII is the starting of making it up.
>>
>>63788122
Than get someone else, he's not he only composer on earth.
>>
John Williams can only rearrange Holsts" the Planets" so much.

he hacked 6 Star Wars movies out of it, asking for 7 is a bit much.
>>
>>63791033
*tip*
>>
I've listened to the OST since I've seen the movie and it's really good. The ending theme is one od the best songs in the entire franchise, it has a really KotOR vibe to it while maintaining the original feeling and also preparing us for the next episode of the story.
Speaking of KotOR, anybody else think that Luke's on Rakata Prime? The location and the visuals match pretty well.
>>
The better question :

Why was the orchestra mixed with the brass lacking edge and depth? From the opening blast it sounded far too smooth, and it seemed like the trombones were nearly missing. Synthetic sounding, even. Where the hell was the bombastic energy and the quivering high strains of violins? I felt no musical magic whatsoever...
>>
File: big.jpg (530 KB, 2400x1695) Image search: [Google]
big.jpg
530 KB, 2400x1695
>>63791842
I thought he was looking for the first jedi temple? Why would he go to Rakata Prime? Also, looking at that map they had to him he is nowhere near Rakata Prime iirc.

>rakata all the way on the left in the unknown regions and I think luke was more toward the bottom
>>
>>63792371
>Not canon
>>
File: 1449861978789.gif (427 KB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
1449861978789.gif
427 KB, 200x198
>Snoke theme is almost identical to darth plagueis theme
>>
>>63790972
No you don't understand, they have to get all the same people involved for maximum pottery. This is why it will be better to create CGI Peter Cushing instead of recasting Tarkin.
>>
>>63789902
Please be real.
>>
>>63792371
>>63791842

That is old headcanon, tho. In new Disney canon it might be Rattata prime.
>>
>>63789461
lmao bitchy /tv/ expects undying genius funneled into their asshole for eternity. yeah its not as good as previous stuff he's done.

But its still better than AOTC score which is ass, and he only had like a month to write this because the rough cut wasnt done until way late.

I really hope he does 8. It will let him think up some themes and shit in between now that he knows the characters and feel of shit.

Ppl gotta stop bitching since hes 83 and ditched Spielbergs Bridge of Spies, which probably would have been automatic oscar, just so he could chirn out some more star wars for the 7th damn time.

No one else really had to do as much work as Williams on EVERY SW movie. The dudes 83. And some of the shit is good as hell.

Rey's Theme, Rey and BB8, Starkiller, Snoke, and Jedi Steps are sick. There is an innocence to this score at times that hasnt been heard since fuckin ET
>>
>>63792295
Yeah seriously the other scores pierce through your ears and shit in a good way. They compressed the cock out of this one. On 60 Minutes the audio even with the guy talking over it was more exciting to the ears
>>
File: 1407133242926.png (139 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
1407133242926.png
139 KB, 400x392
>>63792478
>>63792578
>throwing away KotOR
that rakata history was cool shit
why would they do this, anons?
>>
Harry Gregson-Williams is the true GOAT
>>
>>63787685
He's old. He's given all his juice. Now it's time for him to be consigned to the dustbin of history.
>>
>>63792704

Harry's too based for anybody to know about him.
>>
>>63791842
>>63792371

RIP in peace KOTOR cannon. Also Rakata Prime is more tropical, and it wouldn't be where the first jedi temple was located.
>>
File: 1434991055320.jpg (446 KB, 1800x1194) Image search: [Google]
1434991055320.jpg
446 KB, 1800x1194
>>63788598
He's needed elsewhere already.
;_;
>>
>>63792756
He's the only good thing Hans Zimmer has produced.
>>
>>63788703
Confirmed teenager
>>
File: Walt_disney_pictures.jpg (291 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Walt_disney_pictures.jpg
291 KB, 1366x768
>>63790899
You honestly think that these people care what rabid "fans" want?

Do you not know that there are other, much more numerous idiots who dont care at all and are more willing to throw money at them?
>>
>>63788207
stop using "most" when you're a kid and have bad opinions
>>
40 minutes of the movie were left on the editing table, and Williams orchestrated the longer, original cut.

I think it all just got actually fucked up by how rushed it was, but not out of lack of the artistic merit of any of the movie's creator.
>>
>>63792578
>But its still better than AOTC
AOTC had Across the Stars, this score has..?
>>
John Williams is 83.

Can you even play a child's xylophone with pinache?
>>
>>63793068
Rey's theme and the March of the resistance are pretty good.

It's a shame that Kylo's theme wasn't expanded on at all, it only has like 5 notes that are intervened with the rest of the music.
>>
He said in an interview that "he uses alot of elbow grease." Yeah, at 83, I doubt he can work as hard as he would like.
>>
>>63787685
Best movie scene of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JbuRrySrDE
>>
Who will take over for John Williams?

I think I'd prefer bad John Williams music in Star Wars than no John Williams...idk

Are there any Classical music cover-orchestras? someone who is a good imitator of John Williams?
>>
>>63788441
Tintin's music was pretty fucking awesome m8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTw0Q5nodas
>>
>>63793273
Skrillex ft Kendrick Lamar
>>
>>63788757
that's no the theme song though, that's just a prelude played during the opening credits. And it sounds pretty fucking boss too.

I do agree that the studio was stupid not to acquire the theme from the 90s cartoon though.
>>
>>63793273
based Trent Reznor has said that he would be open to doing an orchestral score.
>>
>>63793032
>40 minutes of the movie were left on the editing table

fucking top lel

I wonder if the other material is releasable, or will be stuff like Luke saying he's Rey's father in an extended expository dialogue scene just before the end when the emotion is supposed to be at a high point.
>>
>>63787685
40+ years of music making, OP. Your talent would dry too.
>>
>>63793273
Michael Giacchino probably would be the guy that takes over after him. That motherfucker has deep Disney connections thanks to Pixar and Disney Animation and knows how to write a super good score.
>>
>>63793068
>>63793142
Kylo's theme is basically a phrase that doubles as leit motif. I like it. Vader in ANH had something similar until Empire finally had a full working theme. I predict itll go the same way.

Rey's theme is catchy, upbeat and reminds of Catch me if you can. I imagine he'll darken it up or make a new one for the other films.

March of resistance isnt bad either.

It'll probably grow on us. I dont like ACross the stars because it honestly kinda rips off the braveheart love theme.

Revenge of the sith hardly had any new themes either, but the part with order 66 is so well composed and makes me want to go to a dead kids funeral and tell his parents sorry
>>
>>63793273
Howard Shore is better than John Williams.
>>
The most disappointing thing about TFA's score was the lead up to the end title. The music in Star Wars always leads up to the loud bang of the credits title, but in TFA it's just some lame music and suddenly the screen goes black with J.J. Abrahms stupid name on it. This is epc:
https://youtu.be/yixG8pfncOs?t=1m28s
https://youtu.be/t-ENSnF8XnY?t=1m38s
https://youtu.be/Rd7Wh4vrVyk?t=2m11s
TFA was not.

Can't wait for TFA's score to be released so I can confirm its shittiness.
>>
I only liked two songs, the twinkling piano theme when Rey slides down the sand dune, and the music playing in the cantina that is cut off. I wish we could've heard that more
>>
It's like he threw the New Hope CD to the lads and said "alri I made my money just remix this and we're sorted"
>>
>>63792530
It is, don't ask me where I found it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

where is the music from the last trailer?
(specificlly 1:20 - 2:00)
>>
>>63787685
He's needs a director to give inspiration and criticism. Without it, you get milquetoast like the score for the Patriot.
>>
>>63787685
He's been writing mediocre shit for years now.

He's old.
>>
>>63795037
Did George (and/or Spielberg, for that matter) collaborate directly with Williams? Or was his peak genius for a good 25-ish years all him?
>>
>>63794883
There is no official soundtrack yet but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCN9K_a-MpE
that's the rip from the trailer

It's the force theme from OT revamped
>>
>>63793816
Here's the TFA finale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBUlKgsNK8

Just listen to that shit, there's no feeling of hype when the credit rolls.
>>
>>63794883
not in the movie
>>
>>63797274
The prequels OST was brilliant

WTF happened?
>>
>>63797132
It was 2 way input.
>>
Why aren't we talking about Mark Snow?
>>
>>63797132
There has to be collaboration otherwise the composer can drift away from the intent of the tone of the movie.
>>
>>63791033
True dat

Milked moar from Jupiter, Mars and Saturn, if that were even possible
>>
When he was first announced to return, I had serious doubts. The prequels had music that never really delivered. They kept recycling the music when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon first fight the battle droids after the room gets gassed and the Pod Race music when the clones fly in to rescue everyone in the Geonosis arena, and everything else felt uninspired. The former is just a tease of the full theme, and that's all we ever got. Nothing glorious full out like shooting the stormtroopers across the bridge in ANH or the Sarlaac battle. Duel of the Fates was good, but should've stayed unique for that duel. Across the Stars is great. Very grand and feels like the title itself. The rest are pieces that give no meaning to a scene or feel like filler in places where silence would work better. Battle of the Heroes is good and all, but the rhythm of the action doesn't match what's going on. That's my real complaint for most of the music. He said he doesn't watch the sequences beforehand and just comes up with what's in his head. That immediately was a red flag for me. He might've been able to do that years ago, but after the prequels, I really didn't have much hope. I think he focused his efforts more into the Harry Potter movies. He did some fine work on those.

Star Wars on the other hand... he might've been a little burned out or lost the feeling of it. That's how I feel. Personally I'd have gone with Joel Neely, the guy who Williams personally recommended to do the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack. He got the feel right and they're all memorable songs. As long as you get someone who gets it right, it really doesn't matter who the composer is to me.
>>
File: 1447094216754.jpg (121 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1447094216754.jpg
121 KB, 960x720
>>63797274
I actually like this music.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.