[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone manage to watch the force awakens without this scene
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: han-solo-dies (1).jpg (30 KB, 650x606) Image search: [Google]
han-solo-dies (1).jpg
30 KB, 650x606
Did anyone manage to watch the force awakens without this scene being ruined for them? How did you find it?

I was spoiled for this scene and I imagine many others were, so it completely took away any emotional impact as I knew exactly what was going to happen. It's a shame as I will never know the impact this scene would have had on me if it hadn't been spoiled. However, I can't help but feel that it would still not have been that amazing as it was so telegraphed I feel like you could see it coming a mile away.

Any people who managed to avoid being spoiled got feedback on how this scene was for them?
>>
Tbh it was still a shit scene. I could see it coming. You didn't miss out on much.
>>
>>63786831
I saw it without having seen any spoilers.

At first I thought there was a chance Kylo was being legit about reconciling with his father, and that he was going to turn good (at least for a little while, maybe like Zuko does in the avatar series)

But as soon as he passed Han the lightsaber and the sunlight disappeared from the room, i knew exactly what was going to happen and i just sorta sat there with my jaw dropped.

I thought it was a really great scene, really hit me pretty hard, especially seeing chewie's reaction.
>>
He was never my favorite character so I didn't get mad, but still a bit sad because I didn't want him to die I guess.
>>
I saw the Han dies -posts but I never saw the pic or knew who kills him or even how he gets killed. I didn't even know that Kylo is his son. Still wasn't even shocked, it was pretty obvious what's gonna happen when they both "prepared" for the confrontation. It really wasn't a shocking twist when Kylo prenteded to hand over his lifesaver.
>>
I had hoped Kylo was Luke and that Luke was actually evil. Would've been a lot cooler story to tel.
>>
>>63787472
In addition I was quite dissappointed when Chewie didn't go on full Wookie rage mode and ripped the arms of those stormtroopers.
>>
>>63786831
my friends and i theorized that it would happen in some way after the first trailer, so i went in expecting it but i wasn't exactly sure how
>>
>>63786831
Thanks for the spoiler asshole. I've been lurking 4chan for days and haven't seen any spoilers what so ever. And on the same day as I get to see the movie you spoiled it for me. I hate you so fucking much. I hope you die.
>>
>>63787529
*rip the arms
>>
>>63787535

It's spoiler tagged, you fucking autist.
>>
>>63786831
I left this board a month because I knew the edgy mcveggies here like to spoil shit. Ironically, I got this shit spoiled at /sp/.

However, that scene was still pretty damn powerful without knowing the context. I didn't know it was Han's son. To me it was just the bad guy killing hab but after realizing it was his so. It was pretty powerful.

>>63787358
I think he genuinely wanted to leave the dark side and reconsile for a microsecond, but to forgive and forget takes great strenght. In the end its easier to hate and the dark side took him.

It was a very well done scene. Those 3 minutes where better than the entire prequels.
>>
>>63786831
It was painfully obvious what was about to happen. They drag the scene on long enough to make you think maybe just MAYBE it won't happen. But then you realize that there still has to be a lightsaber fight so obviously Kylo Ren isn't gonna suddenly turn goo.

So yeah. It was pretty clear Han was about to get stabbed.
>>
I had seen the spoiler, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie at all.

I expected Han to die before I saw the spoiler. It's too much pottery not to happen.
>>
Knew it was coming as soon as it went to a wide shot and up-close to chewies face. Pretty much confirmed when Rey and Finn appeared from above.

Also i knew there still had to be a fight between Finn and Kylo so Kylo wasn't going to turn good here.
>>
>>63786831
I was "spoiled" but was completely unphased by it because I already expected Han to die anyway. He was supposed to die in the OT and no way in hell grumpy grandpa Ford was going to sign a multi movie contract. Honestly I don't get why this has become the primary spoiler spam tbqhwyf
>>
>>63787798
He didn't wanted to leave the dark side. Killing his father was the full transistion to the darkness. What he feels that is tearing him apart is the light still left on him, he asked Han for help, he asked him to help him go full dark side.
>>
>>63786831
Fords phone in wouldn't have had any emotion anyways.
>>
>>63786831
like that would have saved this trainwreck of a movie
>>
>>63786831
>being ruined for them?
the moment JJ was announced as the director is when they ruin it for me
>>
File: chewie-db_2c0efea2.jpg (187 KB, 768x433) Image search: [Google]
chewie-db_2c0efea2.jpg
187 KB, 768x433
I want Chewie to pull Kylo's arms out of his sockets.
Wookiees are known to do that.
>>
>>63787900
This. All this. And FUCK it's all so similar to ANH. I wasn't bothered by it as much at first but there's just waaaayyyy to much lifted from ANH for this to not feel kinda ridiculously unoriginal.
>>
Completely ruined the moment for me. Thanks again /tv/
>>
It was revealed months ago so it didn't quite shock me when fags on 4chan confirmed it

JJ gave it away when the spoiler was leaked by insisting that the rumour didn't spread.

it still shocked me a little as I couldn't quite accept that they killed off the most popular character. Even more so when his death didn't even seem to matter. Leia just feels a disturbance in the force and Rey hugs her. I expected a little more. Also upset that Chewie didn't go full rage mode that his best friend just died.
>>
>>63788011
He considered it for a second. He says something among the lines of h not having any hope or no time meaning. He was saying that there was no hope left for him.

When Kylo asked Han to help him, Han could help him in two ways:

Kylo could let Han take him back to the light and reconsile with his family and everyone he hurt.

Or he could destroy the last piece of good in him and destroy his father and succumb completely to the dark, ending his inner struggle of good and evil.

You can tell he genuinely wanted to reconsile with his father for a second but then the dark does what it does and pumped fear and anger in him and ultimately decided to give in and kill han.

He was afraid that no one would forgive him after he betrayed them and he resented Han. Its easier to hate than to forgive, that's the whole point of the dark side, many people fall on it because it's easier to hate and fear than to be brave and forgive.
>>
File: Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg (398 KB, 1369x2125) Image search: [Google]
Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg
398 KB, 1369x2125
Didn't have it spoiled. Was directed in a very cheesy way that made it BEYOND obvious what was about to happen.
It was also a distasteful way to treat a character who already had a redeeming arch. Why did leia and han not earn a happily ever after?
If I watche Eps 4-6 and try to enjoy the ending celebration seen I have to know their epilogue canonically is their relationship falls apart for no explained reason and their so murders han so that his body can fall like the emporers and not even get a fucking burial.
It's just forced shock value and lazy excuses to make this plot interesting. They knew killing him would stir up some more hype for the new trilogy. It's utter bullshit though.

>>63787358
The reason it hit really hard is because it was forced and completely shits on the original films which you love so much.

This is the equivilent to if after all that happened in The Hobbit, after Bilbo's character arch of becoming less up tight and afraid, after his epic journey. What if after all that the Lord of the Rings starts because golem sneaks into Hobbiton and bludgeons Bilbo to death to steal the ring.
OOOOO SO EDGY
IM SO SHOCK OMG
It's cheap.

Apparently the relationship from this scene didn't deserve a happy ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-KR-14uXM
>>
File: ICD-419-Colour-1024x684.jpg (111 KB, 1024x684) Image search: [Google]
ICD-419-Colour-1024x684.jpg
111 KB, 1024x684
>>63788575
it was all an act
>>
File: 1422855741889.png (66 KB, 247x200) Image search: [Google]
1422855741889.png
66 KB, 247x200
>>63786831
The exact moment Chewbacca got shot, I knew one of them was fucked. In my head I said "oh no, one of them is going to die." When Han said "Ben" is when I started to get sad because I knew what was next.
>>
>>63788784
>Kylo Ren is a muster ruser

No, I don't think it's that simple minded
>>
It was spoiled for me, but Kylo pretty much says he is going to do it. He mentions fighting the light and having the strength to kill his father around the time he meets with Snoke and then prays to his dead grandfather's helmet. They gave this away so hard and it should not have been a surprise to anyone that was actually paying attention during the movie.
>>
>>63788858
>tfw Han is holding Kylo's face while he was being impaled as if saying " I still love you, son" and then he falls to the abyss

No one prepared me for those feels
>>
>>63787838
pretty much this, I was pissed when I saw the screen the other day on /v/. But that's what I get for clumsily browsing 4chan days prior to the film.
I'm not entirely sure if I felt the movie was mediocre or not. Not sure if it's because I went into it knowing that this scene was going to happen. I actually laughed when chewie fucking shot the guy because I honestly didn't see that coming.
>>
File: bauer-cry-1421676185.gif (906 KB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
bauer-cry-1421676185.gif
906 KB, 450x250
It felt like i was about to die.
>>
>>63787358
Exactly the same situation and reaction as you, anon.
>>
Indifference. Knew it was going to happen when he walked on to the catwalk. Thought he was gonna use the Force and knock him off, though.

Ya'll really didn't see any of this shit coming?
>>
Ultimately the problem with the scene was the pacing. After it happens, you know that "this is the worst thing that can possibly happen", so you don't feel anxious about the other characters, and the rest of the film doesn't really hold much weight (they also shot it in a way that made it super obvious).

If they had something like this scene after the planet blew up, it'd have more of an impact.
>>
>>63788748
>It was also a distasteful way to treat a character who already had a redeeming arch. Why did leia and han not earn a happily ever after?
Because Han literally dumped his son off his brother-in-laws house in never came back.

I would do the same, desu. Kyle's a fucking geek and Han's the suave debonair that smuggles illegal arms to 8-legged freaks, 3-eyed pirates and..asians(?)
>>
>>63786831

Actually i was happy he died, han was an shadow of himself due to his age in this time and the youngsters were more than ready to replace him obviously. Im glad it was his Son, doing it.
>>
>>63789308
That's mess up senpai
>>
>>63786831
Yeah, I somehow managed to avoid all spoilers by some miracle. Also this was my first Star Wars movie. Somehow I just never saw the rest of them. Saw enough parodies and listened to enough rage over the prequels so I had an idea of what was what.

I wasn't surprised by the scene itself but that I actually felt something. The scene of felt like I was looking at a father trying to get his junkie son to come home and get clean. They both know it's hopeless and how it's gonna end but they try anyway. I was expecting Chewbacca to blow himself up after that with a heroic sacrifice but I guess that didn't happen.

Also, I think I might be a furry now because Chewbacca seemed kinda hot to me
>>
I was able to leave 4chan for a week until I saw the movie so yeah, wasn't ruined at all.

The moment when I saw it coming was when the sun came down, I JUST knew.
>>
Feels really good knowing I ruined the movie for you guys.

t. anon who took OPs picture
>>
>>63786831
I stayed away from the computer for the majority of the day to avoid anything like this. I 100% saw it coming. While sad about the result, it was clearly being built up.
>>
>>63786831
I stayed off 4chan/reddit for 2 weeks prior and didn't read any youtube comments or reviews. Needless to say, it wasn't that be of an impact for me. As soon as Han started walking towards him on the bridge I knew Kylo would kill him for fan service.

"HANS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!!! BUT I WANNA SEE HIM DIE!!!"

Cringy Star Wars fans.
>>
>>63790656
>kill him for fan service.
Pretty sure they killed him to make Harrison Ford happy.
>>
I never really gave a fuck about Han.

I also like the prequels better.
>>
>>63790866
Heh
>>
Who cares. Its a dumb kids movie with simple plot. Oh no someone dies! Didn't see that one coming! What's next? you gonna spoil Zootopia? please no
>>
I took my dad to the cinema and he pretty much broke down when Han fell down the chasm. Never seen him barely holding it together like that, so it definitely must have been a powerful scene for some people.
>>
How people didn't see it coming, before even sitting down in the theatre, is beyond me.

Harrison Ford has wanted Solo to be killed off since Empire, and clearly hates being associated with the franchise. Then you see how enthusiastic and omnipresent he is in the promotion for this movie, and the only logical explanation is that he agreed to do it because they agreed to kill him. He's finally free.
>>
>>63791469
>implying he's dead
>>
>>63791091
LOL Being raised by a Star Wars dad. Sorry about high school, mate.
>>
>>63788748
nobody in star wars earns a happily ever after. yoda didn't. obi-wan didnt. luke didnt. anakin didn't. padme didn't. boba didn't.
>>
>>63790386
You're doing God's work Anon
>>
>>63787798
>that scene was pretty powerful without knowing it was Han's son

Did you fall asleep in the theater or something?
>>
>>63786831
Yeah I did. It was terrific and I'd be gutted if it had been spoiled for me
>>
>>63786831
Han's death was spoiled literally months before the first trailer was ever released by harrison ford himself so I already knew it was coming

the scene specifically had minimal emotional impact on me to be quite honest with you family, it was set up way too blatantly to get much of anything out of it.

The absolute only way you could have a "proper" reaction to this was if you spent the last year actively avoiding all knowledge of anything at all relating to the new movie and Ford's opinion of his character and went in truly, utterly blind.
>>
I was spoiled a long time ago, and this scene did nothing for me.

The real hurt was a little later when Chewie was sitting in the falcon as everyone celebrated, putting his head down all sad.

That hit hard
>>
>>63786831

I honestly thought Han was going to have to shoot his son, and it was going to be a sort of mirror image to the Luke vs Vader conflict, but this time Han actually has the balls to kill his family member that's gone evil.
>>
>The mentor Character dying in the first movie of a new Star Wars trilogy.

Not really surprised, not even angry. It's all expected and pretty standard for the series. I expect Luke to die in the third movie too.

But it would really piss me off if Han becomes a force ghost played by a younger actor
>>
>>63794657

wont happen. Han isnt force sensitive
>>
>>63786831
I had Kylo's Ren's origin ruined for me, but nothing about Han. Should have guessed though, he hates Star Wars more than /tv/.
>>
>>63786831
Just got home from it. Managed to avoid ALL spoilers, and only saw the first trailer.
It was amazing. This is how film is meant to be watched, not by reading shitposts on 4chan for months before I deem something worth the waste of my time. This was pure cinema, like the old guard used to go see. This was film at it's highest, reaching out to the audience, to the past, to the future. This was seeing Empire in 1980. This was Star Wars.
And you'll never get to live it.
>>
>>63794913
>And you'll never get to live it.

there is still rogue one, and ep 8, and han solo, and ep 9...and every other star wars that comes out until we are dead
>>
After the first trailer I kind of shut myself off to anything about this movie so I couldn't be spoiled. When Chewie and Han were setting the explosives, the camera started to focus on Chewie solely for a minute and I thought he was going to die. But then once Han walked to me Kylo I knew what was going to happen. Once it happened it hit pretty hard as Han was my favorite character and I couldn't really understand how Han Solo could die. But after a few minutes I remembered that Ford didn't really like the character, and it also would have kind of sucked if the movies never came into their own by just leeching off of references and old characters. I liked Chewie's reaction as well. I was saying this ironically for a little bit but there's definitely some truth to my statement: I was joking that Han was blown clear of the exploding planet. It's Han Solo for fuck's sake
>>
everyone knows that Phasma caught saved Han after she got thrown in the trash compactor
>>
>>63794717
That's exactly why it would be irritating.

It should never happen.
>>
"BEN!!!" ;__;
>>
no fucking asshole on r9k ruined it for me

thought i was safe there
>>
>>63788224
Same
>>
>>63786831
The whole movie I expected it cuz of the rumours flying around. So I anticipated the whole movie thinking Han was gonna die at the end. I was right.

I still don't know why Ford hates Solo so much.
>>
>>63787535
Hey look, reddit is here
>>
I was on /vp/ and some random thread just popped up
>>
>>63786831
i didn't have it spoiled, but it was inevitable as soon as kylo ren was revealed as han's son. also he was getting way too much screentime for someone who's not supposed to star in this trilogy. so it definitely didn't catch me by surprise.

as for the scene itself, it was kinds cheesy, but i still felt it. i don't know if that's because it was well done or just because han is so well-established at this point. either way ford put in the best performance of anyone in the movie. kylo talking about his regrets and coming back to the light side also caught me off guard. i wasn't expect him to make it past this film, but clearly they're setting him and brienne's character to make a comeback in the next film empire strikes back style.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.