[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Best & Worst
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: sw7.jpg (88 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
sw7.jpg
88 KB, 700x394
Tell us 3 things you liked and 3 things you didn't like

Liked:

>Poe, Kylo and Finn, great characters all round, and I thought Han worked well. Kylo was menacing, and the bro scene between FInn and Poe was one of the most exciting and hilarious segments in the whole saga.

>The visuals, sfx and sound effects were amazing, lots of great camerawork in the movie.

>Writing. The dialogue is great, both the humor and drama really hits, save for one particular moment in my mind.

Disliked:
>The movie felt too fast paced, like the movie didn't trust its own ability in keeping the audience engaged without speeding to another action scene or funny joke.

>Plot wastes the potential. The plot was blatantly recycled from the originals, even to the point where the major shock moment in the movie basically happened in A New Hope. Some characters could've been amazing, but the writers went routes in the plot that fucked their characters over. Phasma was bland and we didn't see any of her, the Raid actors are amazing at physical combat, and are good actors, yet get wasted in a pointless scene, I loved Kylo Ren's character in the first half, even when unmasked, but I think his plot development happened too fast, I wish I saw more of the Kylo we got in the first act. Maz Kanata was more forgettable than I had hoped for.

>Soundtrack. Probably the most shocking disappointment, John Williams has been the highlight in all the previous 6 movies, now his prescence wasn't felt, the music was bland and forgettable and the old Star Wars music was badly utilized and with poorer arrangements than expected. I really think any other composer could've made a better soundtrack to this film, because they have such a crazy high bar to reach, Michael Giacchino would've rocked, as he could have imitated John Williams' style to the point of sounding alike to the audience, and he isn't 83 years old.
>>
Disliked:

>The bland, forgettable cast. Rey couldn't act for her life, Finn "le funny black sidekick" had some pretty terrible lines, and Kylo had some cringy dialogue as well. Harrison Ford didn't seem to give a shit at all.

>The terrible lightsaber fights. The choreography was extremely simple and the lightsabers behaved like colourful sticks instead of weightless swords. The prequels kinda overdid it at parts with the choreography but they were pretty to the eye at least.

>Plot is a glib fascimile. It's pretty sad that they decided to play it safe instead of coming up with a more original one. There was no suspense whatsoever in the movie.

Liked:

>It ended and I won't get to see it again.
>>
Liked:
>How "raw" lightsabers felt. It really made me realize how fucking dangerous those things are.
>Kylo Ren's character. I wasn't expecting him to be so... childish? But I still loved it either way. I'm a big fan of Adam Driver's line delivery, too, so of course Kylo Ren was one of my favourite things in the film.
>The use of both special and practical effects were a nice touch

Disliked:
>Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher's forced line delivery. It honestly feels like the writing for Han and Leia was poor/rushed. Also I didn't really like Han's constant referencing to things that happened in other Star Wars films. Felt way too forced.
>The film felt too rushed, but I can't complain much seeing as more films will be coming out in the future (hopefully to explain things that went unexplained in TFA)
>Can't think of anything else besides Phasma being totally useless
>>
Liked

>Finn
>The scene where Rey has a vision
>the movie doesn't start with a fucking lightsaber tumbling through space

Disliked

>Kylo Ren. I just can't take him seriously he's literally just an edgy fuckboy
>The forced Nazi imagery/General Hux speech. They couldn't think of a way to make root against the First Order without having a discount Adolf Hitler character and a Sieg Heil moment
>It's A New Hope 2.0
>>
>>63784327
Liked:
>The Stormtroopers. Despite being brainwashed, they were shown to be some scary motherfuckers - Riot Trooper is a god damn warrior
>The lightsaber combat wasn't spinny, frilly, or otherwise ninja. Reminiscent of the original trilogy, nothing fancy - characters fighting for their lives. Almost brutal, in a way
>Kylo Ren, before he loses his mask and is revealed to be a mongoloid

Disliked:
>Too many throwbacks to the original, this movie is episode 4 all over again - desert planet to outter space to rebel stronghold to assault on planet/system destroyer
>Felt rushed in some places, almost no character development. Rey is Mary Sue.
>Han Solo fucking dies.

7/10 at best, good but not great. Would watch again, and looking forward to episode 8.
>>
dislike:

the fact that they even made a new star wars movie

that the new star wars movie is so financially successful it will only incentivize hollywood to put even more money into boring, safe, unoriginal stories

the fact that franchise-loving plebs have destroyed almost all creativity and artistic progression in hollywood

literally nothing. fuck star wars
>>
>>63784327
>when the nigger got whipped with a lightsaber
>when Poe activated his inner Korean and #rekt the tie fighters/stormtroopers

DISLIKES
>pretty much the rest of the entire movie
>>
>>63784600
>weightless swords
wut? isn't there "gyroscopic" effect and shit?
>>
>>63784327
I've seen it twice...

Liked
> The new Protags and Antags
> The Sound editing. The lightsabers never sounded better.
> The practical effects and special effects

The Bad
> The really obvious fan pandering (only happens a few times) Fucking 14 Parsecs line is great)
"Trash Compactor LOL"
> Soundtrack. I don't remember anything about it.
> The whole scene with on the Cargo Ship. Seriously, what the fuck was that? That felt like some sort of fever dream I would have about the new movie. Really fucking weird... but second viewing it wasn't as bad. But I haven't seen anyone else on here complain about that
>>
>>63784600
>Actually enjoying the prequel choreography over this
This was much more like how fight scenes were in Empire and Jedi. Lightsabers were not weightless in those movies.
Remember when Luke brutally beat Vader in Jedi?
>>
Faggot who just got out of the cinema here, I think it was decent mainly because my expectations were lowered as hell, and I'm not trying to be an edgy contrarian.

Good
>New cast. Poe, Finn and Ren a re well acted, written and interesting.
>Aesthetics. Everything feels so fresh, as well as lived in. Just stuff like the scratches on Ren's mask help get over that weird cleanliness of the prequels.
>Writing as a whole is sharper. Characters feel solid, stuff can be funny without feeling too endearing.

Bad
>Rey's Mary-sueishness which most people are hating on. It doesn't get that bad until the third act though.
>Wasted potential. Phasma's little presence, the reveal of a super-duper weapon this early, Snoke's awful design
>Pacing is a bit all over the place. Some things got too much presence, others not enough.
>>
File: 1449787137968.png (151 KB, 474x311) Image search: [Google]
1449787137968.png
151 KB, 474x311
Best
>Opening sequence
>BB8 & Chewbacca
>Han Solo's death

Worst
>Ren being an angsty teen
>Snoke feeling like a dull Marvel villain
>The score was forgettable
>Captain Phasma
>Whiny ginger guy was absolutely no Moff Tarkin
>>
>>63784327
>The plot was blatantly recycled from the originals

"it's like poetry, it rhymes."
>>
Liked:

>The overall plot and direction until the third act

>the ominous tone of Snoke and religious themes of the light versus the Dark

>Poe organically being a badass pilot

Disliked:

>Waste of Carie Fisher. Her character and that little orange lady could have been merged into just wise old Leia giving Rey a purpose in life

>Star Killer. We already had the Deathstar twice, we don't need to see it again unless it's something other than a planet destroyer

>The Third Act is unnecessarily dense and feels rushed.

Honestly if they got rid of the Deathstar 3.0 plot and had the third act be Han wanting to bring back his son and Finn rescuing Rey, it would have improved the movie by a mile. I know it looked cool and had some great visuals, but the Deathstar plot had no real weight to it other than "Uh oh we need to have a battle with the First Order!" All that extra room without the not Deathstar could have been used to show develop Rey's ability to use the force and Han realizing he can't run from his problems anymore
>>
How is the plot recycled btw?

Luke had no chance against vader until two movies later. Meanwhile Rey fucked over Kylo in the first movie.
>>
>>63784327

Liked:

>the dialogue and interplay between the characters
>Rey's entire arc especially her using the lightsaber
>Kylo Ren's greater complexity and the mix of him being scary and kind of pathetic

Disliked:

>Some parts of the plot were too similar to what's seen before. I can understand a certain amount of repetition, but the trench run scene and destruction of the shotgun Death Star was too similar.
>The score was disappointing, and there isn't any new music that I can remember.
>Needs to go deeper into what the heck is going on with Kylo and Snoke, but I can accept that since this is the first of a trilogy.
>>
Liked
>Lightsaber combat really looked great.
>Childish, angry Kylo Ren is a refreshing take on Sith.
>Pretty much all the scenes with Poe.

Disliked:
>ANOTHER fucking Death Star.
>Pacing of the movie is way too fast. The entire plot is done in 13 hours.
>What the fuck, Phasma? You seemed to be such a badass according to the previews.

Bonus gripe:
Why is EVERY other line a joke or OT reference? So fucking annoying.
>>
I was seriously hoping that
1) Kylo would get his hands on Vadar's light saber
2) The Star Killer wasn't destroyed, and the rebel alliance only managed to damage it rather than destroying it.
3) Even though they "failed" their mission, they still manage to save Rae and get the map to Luke in the process.

Here's my reasoning. Kylo is stil going through character development and still needs to come to terms with whether he is Luke/Ani or Vadar. The saber would serve as a catalyst for this.
The Star Killer was a blatant rehash of the Death Star, so I would like to think that the First Order has learned from previous mistakes in order to be a legitimate threat. That's obviously not the case now.
The movie was ultimately about finding Luke. The rest of the map was on the Star Killer. Therefore the plot should have involved recovering the missing map parts from the First Order instead of relying on R2D2 waking up. Bam. A coherent plot that does away with the Mary Sue bullshit and still results with significant plot progression.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.