[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some movies about math? I've seen Pi and a Beautiful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
What are some movies about math?

I've seen Pi and a Beautiful Mind, both of which were good, but I'm looking a bit more for math content.
>>
I'd be pretty impressed if there are films that can work in mathematical content that would actually be of any interest to somebody who likes math.
>>
>>63762131
The Calculus of Love - short film, but you can watch this over at vimeo
Good Will Hunting - probably not what you're looking for but still a good one nonetheless
Travelling Salesman
Primer - has a lot of math in it but not primarily about it
Proof - It's OK, but plagued by some pretty terrible acting.
Yogisha X No Kenshin - A good japanese crime thriller that has a lot of math/physics in it. If you can find this one I highly recommend watching it.
Imitation Game - haven't seen this one but i'm sure there's a lot of math in it. I imagine it's more in the same vein as a Beautiful Mind though.
I.Q - Romantic Comedy, light on the math but very fun.
>>
File: BTFPoster0809WEB2SM.jpg (43 KB, 480x742) Image search: [Google]
BTFPoster0809WEB2SM.jpg
43 KB, 480x742
>>
>>63762131
>>63763304
The problem is it's hard to have the average viewer understands whats going on. At most they can try and give an simple explanation.
Interstellar did good
>>
File: Moebius.jpg (110 KB, 449x640) Image search: [Google]
Moebius.jpg
110 KB, 449x640
>>
File: autism.png (51 KB, 338x288) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
51 KB, 338x288
>>63762131
Looks like the formulation of a Bessel function, an orthogonal basis that can be used to construct spherical harmonics. Any movie with drums will fit the bill in illustrating your pic.
>>
There's a film about Ramanujan coming out soon starring Slumdog and Alfred
>>
X+Y
>>
Primer and Fermat's Room.
You will mostly love The Martian
>>
>>63763947
>You will mostly love The Martian
I DUN DA MAFF
>>
File: Stand and Deliver.jpg (127 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
Stand and Deliver.jpg
127 KB, 480x720
>>63762131
>>
"It's My Turn" includes a proof of the snake lemma. My favorite is "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (original) which mentions variation of parameters.

There is an old site "math in the movies" that a guy used to maintain. That was a long time ago... don't know if he's still at it.
>>
>>63762131
See >>63762175

Can't you just study maths?
>>
>>63765332
Looks like it's rather stale at this point.

http://world.std.com/~reinhold/mathmovies.html
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.