[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everyone seems really mad that a lot of The Force Awakens leaks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
Everyone seems really mad that a lot of The Force Awakens leaks ended up being true, specifically that the movie follows the rough plot beats of A New Hope. Let's calm our nerd rage for a moment and try and analyze why that might be the case. You could argue that Abrams/Kasdan were playing it safe, that the movie is unoriginal, blahblah. I get that, and that's really not what I was hoping for from this film either. However, over the past fifteen years, the films that we've received have been completely original and utterly disappointing on basically every narrative level. Everything that was awesome about the original trilogy was essentially undone or cheapened by the prequels, and Star Wars as a whole suffered as a whole because of it. So then you have a new movie to make. What do you do?

It needs to be something familiar, but allow for new characters and new stories to grow out of it for a new trilogy. It needs to reinstate certain core values and mythology that we've lost over the years, and most importantly, it needs to have heart. From what I hear, at bare minimum, Abrams succeed in that at the very least. Bearing in mind that I haven't seen the film, I can think of worse ways to do that if all these reviews (both positive and negative) are true. It's a soft reboot at the end of the day, and while not what everyone wanted, it's definitely what the franchise needed to evolve and grow. There's a lot of talent behind the two upcoming numbered films and the anthology movies. How original those are, in the end, will determine if The Force Awakens was an effective springboard. At the end of the day, it sounds like a pretty solid Star Wars film, if not a very original one. We haven't had that for a long time, so if that's all I get to take away from the experience, I'll be okay with that. But there's potential here for a whole lot more.
>>
>The Starkiller base charges by draining suns and then destroys whole solar systems.
>>
No one?
>>
Nobody will reply to you because this is more than five words long, but I agree.

A New Hope was never about reinventing the wheel. It was about refining it. And considering where this franchise has been for the last 15-odd years, we needed a smooth fucking wheel. That's TFA.

I think 8 has a chance at being great, seeing Johnson at the helm. That's where they can get really original, whereas 7 just needed to recapture the magic.

>Episode 7: JJ Abrams, an exceptional mimic of other directorial styles, revives interest in the franchise by playing it safe (in a good way)
>Episode 8: Johnson, an absolute madman, creates a new Empire Strikes Back, something original and new in an established universe
>Episode 9: Trevorrow, who can't direct shit, drives the franchise back into the ground for another 30-year coma
>>
It's the kind of shit you would berate a 12 year old fanfiction writer for. Meanwhile, Jar Jar Abraham does it and everyone just gobbles it up and asks for seconds.
>>
>>63725617
>Nobody will reply to you because this is more than 5 words long
stopped reading there
suck a shotgun fæm
>>
>>63725617
Yeah, I've definitely got more reservations about Trevorrow's entry than I do Johnson's. That said, if the foundation is good enough with 8 and the writing is solid in 9, all Trevorrow has to do is show up and get it filmed.
>>
>>63725390
desu I was a massive Star Wars fanboy growing up, when it was announced Lucas sold the franchise to Disney i was excited yet nervous for what Disney would do with all the characters, worlds, stories. The EU was discarded (i never cared for it desu besides some of the games) and Abrams was chosen to direct and i thought what could go wrong and oh boy... as soon as the characters descriptions and that first shot of Kylo Ren, the new great "bad guy" of the Star Wars sequel trilogy were released i knew it was going to disappoint, something felt off. Like 14 year old fanfiction-tier off. Then the trailers made obvious that Abrams and Kasdan were blatantly ripping off A New Hope, it's disappointing to think that they had an entire year to make this shit up.
You should not support this kind of lazyness and hackery, unless you've never seen Star Wars of course then this is the sci-fi adventure movie of the century!
>>
FRIENDLY REMINDER to downvote the movie into oblivion on all major review sites. spread this
>>
File: 1307182975851.gif (363 KB, 256x184) Image search: [Google]
1307182975851.gif
363 KB, 256x184
the Skywalker lineage will be forever black now
>>
File: 1448706472142.png (65 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
1448706472142.png
65 KB, 285x276
>>63726072
The jews have won
>>
Actually my biggest issues aren't that it "pays hommage" to ANH.
It's the rest.
>>
File: eaGXfBA.png (104 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
eaGXfBA.png
104 KB, 1920x1080
oh fuck off already with justifying this piece of rehash garbage. It's a safe movie that we've already seen too many times already. Typical studio trash. It's very much the same movie as the first trek reboot. and it's very much the same movie as episode IV. Safe doesn't even comes close to describe the cowardice, the lack of bravery or boldness in the choices made in this movie. It's pandering 360°. Not to mention it's completely raping the fundamental aesthetics established by Lucas, coming straight from Kurosawa, Hawks, Ford. Do you enjoy shaky cams and shitty pointless angles? this movie is FOR YOU.

It needs to be familiar right? so why the fuck the rebellion is now called the resistance? Why the empire is suddenly now the first order? Why is tatooine now called Jakku? Meanwhile X wings tie fighters and a third death star are still being used in this post OT galaxy, but hey droids have evolved so we can sell fucking oranges. Consistency is an extreme variable in TFA, so much so that in comparison the prequels themselves stand out, and that is saying something.

Episode VII like it's director has no foreskin and no balls.
>>
>>63725390

This is literally JUST the type of rehash I was expecting, it's nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>63726279
FALSE FLAG
A
L
S
E

F
L
A
G
>>
> Surprised that a JJ 'control leak everything for summer hype' Abrams film leaks like like a sieve.

Are these people 12 ?
>>
>>63725390
You can still have the same characters, and the same universe, and make it be a springboard movie, without copying the plot of a new hope beat by beat. It's not a soft reboot, they're acknowledging everything that happened previously, and they're doing it SHAMELESSLY. the only thing that aren't copied shamelessly are butchers of the original concept, like kylo being a whiny, angry teenager edgelord. I don't think the lack of this movie's originality is forgivable. They had infinite resources to make an original movie and there's plenty of cool things you can do that don't involve fucking death stars, a droid carrying a message regarding the resistance, or a desert planet.
>>
>>63726249
I doubt that it's the director who's to blame in this case, imagine the insane amount of pressure that disney put on him, the pressure the producers had. There's probably a very good reason for why he's not directing the next movies, and that reason is probably related to the lack of the movie's originality. I don't really blame JJ, I think he directed the movie adequately, but the entire ecosystem that fed this movie is rotten.
>>
>>63725688
>not:
>Nobody will reply to you
>stopped reading there
>>
>>63726480
I know I thought of that after I posted it

oh well
>>
>>63725390
Frankly, Star Wars is for a younger audience. We were all young when we saw it. And that's what the prequels tried to do. It tried to appeal to a new generations of fans, and I think it succeeded. but the people who saw the OT were grown up by then, and being the selfish piece of shit they are, they wanted the series to grow up with them. To be dark and edgy, and not colorful and fun. Wee, Lucas was right. This movie is certainly the type of movies people would want. A paint-by-the number copy of the original one that fans were so nostalgic about, but now updated for modern political correctness with the edge meter ramped up to appeal to the adult crowd. I hope you fucks are happy that you basically accomplished the same thing as taking the proverbial bottle form the battle and replacing it with booze so you can continue sucking on its teat and they can't. Fuck this fanbase.
>>
File: 1438432651833.jpg (37 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1438432651833.jpg
37 KB, 431x450
>>63725945
>Massive Star Wars fanboy
>Never cared for the EU
>>
>>63726798
this
>inb4 saying you knew it was bad (it's not btw) as a kid
Kids are a captive audience; not critics.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.