[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>There are people on this board that considers Attack of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 19
>There are people on this board that considers Attack of the Clones better tha Phantom Menace
>>
>>63512237
That is literally impossible. That movie is the weakest of the entire franchise. For me the best movie is Revenge Of The Sith, maybe because it was the first Star Wars movie i ever saw thanks to the Clone Wars cartoon back in 2003.
>>
Star wars is for children.
>>
The only thing I like about ATTC, and this is only in the vaguest, most basic sense possible, is that it's the only prequel where Lucas used classic Hollywood as an inspiration like he did with the OT. There are a lot of classic noir influences in the story while the romance is inspired by Golden Age romance films. It doesn't fucking work at all, but I like that one brief scene in Padme's bedroom where they use the venetian blind effect.

>>63512954
>maybe because it was the first Star Wars movie i ever saw

I feel so fucking sorry for you.
>>
>there are people on this board that consider Return of the Jedi better than Phantom Menace
>>
>Watch out for that vicious bounty hunter Boba Fett, Luke. Did I ever tell you about his father? He was hired to assassinate a senator that me and your father were guarding. We kept bringing her around open windows and public areas in order to draw her would be assassin out, but his cunning surprised even us. He had used his payment to hire another bounty hunter to kill the senator for him while he sent us on a wild bantha chase. And then that 2nd assassin used her payment to buy a robot to assassinate the senator for her. Did I mention the 2nd assassin was a shapeshifter? She could have been a good friend in disguise for all we knew! Where was I? Oh yes, then that robot used its payment to buy poisonous bugs to release into the senator's room while she slept, after lasering a hole through the window. It could have just lasered her because we we weren't watching her at all, but it as not a good shot. So we sense the hostile life forms in the room and rush in and save the senator in the nick of time! Then I jumped out the window to chase the robot back to its owner! Luckily it didn't have a self-destruct function. Then we found the 2nd assassin and chased her across the planet, and caught her when she tried to kill us instead of shapeshifting and escaping. But to our surprise, Jango Fett was watching the whole thing instead of going to kill the senator while we were away chasing the bugs chasing the robot chasing the shapeshifter. He shot her with a poisonous dart instead of sniper blaster, and only her instead of shooting all of us or blowing all of us with a rocket or something, then he escaped with his dumb jetpack. Mace Window killed him later, right in front of Boba. Mace was a good friend. Boba is a bad friend
>>
>>63512237
I've never understood that. I guess you could say AotC was more "mature" than TPM because it was more violent, had less shitty kids/kid humor, and had Herschlag in those sexy, sexy outfits.

But on any viable metric of filmmaking it's like twice as bad as TPM, which itself was kind of awful to begin with. The cinematography was bland, the acting was godawful, the dialogue was disgusting, the characters were loathsome, the pacing was dull as fuck, and the special effects aged about as well as an mtf tranny. The only good thing was the soundtrack, but it even had the weakest score in the series (despite the love theme being one of the best individual songs, the score taken as a whole was disappointing).
>>
>>63512237
Obi wan looks so hot here
>>
>>63512237
>That cover

What the fuck is the point of commissioning an awesome Drew Struzan poster for your movie if you're just going to stick a shitty photoshop mashup on the DVD?
>>
>>63513053
But hey, way better than The Phantom Manice or Attack Of The Clones thats for sure.
>>
>>63512237
Attack of the Clones is no doubt the worst but it's so bad it's entertaining to watch, Phantom Menace is just a chore.
>>
>>63513137

Thats like saying horse shit is better than cat shit and chicken shit. I mean it is but it's still shit, and once you hit a certain point of shittiness the degree of shittiness really no longer matters.
>>
File: tumblr_mzng441JQq1sj3c61o1_500.jpg (26 KB, 500x426) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzng441JQq1sj3c61o1_500.jpg
26 KB, 500x426
these people must be high on bat shit.Its easily the worst star wars movie
>>
File: heroin.png (340 KB, 501x384) Image search: [Google]
heroin.png
340 KB, 501x384
5 > 4 > 6 > 7 > 1 > 3 > 2
>>
>Liking II over I

Around the plebians a perimeter create.
>>
Luke did I ever tell you about Sheev's elaborate plan to instigate a war that would conclude with him as emperor of the galaxy? He commissioned a clone army to be produced for the republic but then erased all records of the planet so nobody would ever find it. In fact, the whole thing would have fallen apart had I not found out about the planet myself by consulting with my good friend Dexter Jetster.

Did I also ever tell you about the bounty hunter Jango Fett? He was the separatist leader, Count Dooku's right hand man, and yet he helped create and train the clone army of the republic. Nobody ever once found this supicious, right up until Sheev used this army to destroy the jedi and take over the galaxy.

He was a good friend.
>>
It's more entertaining and memey. TPM is a little dry. The mess here is arguably more interesting to observe
>>
Who cares they're both fucking garbage in their own ways.
>>
>>63513189

5>6>4>>3>>1>>>>>>>>Fanfiction>>>>>>>2
>>
>>63513012
Shitposting is for autists
>>
PM had worse acting, writing, and was boring as all hell.

Attack of the Clones also had the better villain in Dooku.
>>
File: the force awakens posters.jpg (880 KB, 1848x1196) Image search: [Google]
the force awakens posters.jpg
880 KB, 1848x1196
>>63513133
You could ask the same thing about TFA.
>>
4>5>6=3>>>>>>>2>>1
>>
The phantom menace really was widely praised at the time of release. It was both a critical and financial success and fans loved it. The online hate for it did not really manifest until a few months later, and then a whole generation grew up thinking it was always hated which simply isn't true.

It's 3rd week at the box office was actually bigger than it's first week which (and it's first week broke all kinds of records). It only started to slow down on the fourth week. Some star wars fans went as far as claiming it was second only to empire.

Episodes 2 and 3 dropped off far more quickly and likewise critics were not nearly as forgiving. Episode 3 was especially disappointing for a lot of fans for "ruining vader".

Now it is fashionable to hate on all three but at the time TPM was released it was very well received unlike the other two films.

The current RT score includes mostly newer reviews from the 2012 3D re-release which dragged the original score down, but in 1999 it was a better than average popcorn flick among critics.
>>
File: BATB.jpg (320 KB, 796x600) Image search: [Google]
BATB.jpg
320 KB, 796x600
>>63513319

I seem to ask the same thing about apparently every fucking movie ever, because they all seem to do it.

The worst is probably Disney. They'd come out with awesome gorgeous posters for their animated movies, then for the box art cram every fucking character in the movie into one image and color it with the most garishly oversaturated hues possible.
>>
>>63513737

I always thought that Episode I was an ok movie, it was just bad compared to the original Star Wars movies, which were all pretty good.
>>
>>63513737

You're right, and I think the reasoning for this is that the movie's problems don't immediately manifest themselves. On the surface it's like all Star Wars movies: Lot of neat places, cool adventures, wacky aliens, a lightsaber fight, etc. There were annoying elements like Jar-Jar and the boy but none of it seemed out of line.

But then when you let the movie digest it just gets worse and worse but you aren't sure why. Then you actually think over what you just saw and it collapses into a heap of broken down shit.

I was eight going on nine when the movie came out. I saw it in theaters and I was blown the fuck away. When it came out on video I went to rent it immediately, and also picked up Empire as a little bonus. I remember the exact moment when the movie soured on me. It's when they go back to Naboo and Padme sorta reveals herself. I had a little realization of how bored I was so I turned it off and put on Empire.

This was eleven months after the movie had come out. I had spent eleven months creaming over how awesome it was, but when I actually saw it I was bored by it. And after that I never really watched it again. Me and my friends would try a few times but we always turned it off after Qui-Gon fought Maul on Tatooine, if we ever made it that far. The most enduring thing from the movie was the podracing game on the N64. That was cool. When Episode II came out I didn't even bother to see it in the theater, because why bother? I saw Episode III because of the hype and I had the same reaction: Loved it in the theater, then got bored as shit watching it on DVD.

Thats why I don't really put much weight into "Just watched all six Star Wars movies for the first time and I don't get why people hate the prequels" threads. I know an immediate reaction isn't trustworthy.
>>
>>63512237
Trenchy?
>>
>>63513209
Not if anything to say about it, i have
>>
>>63513937

We were spoiled because we had over a decade and a half break between the original films and the prequels. That is why we were so forgiving of phantom menace at first.

It had it's flaws but we were very forgiving and just grateful to have more starwars.

I too noticed a real problem after I bought the first DVD. Thanks to the miracle of chapter selection I found I was only watching the opening, the Darth Maul fight and the podrace. Any other star wars film I would watch it start to finish.
>>
File: 1448921413354.jpg (212 KB, 1268x1695) Image search: [Google]
1448921413354.jpg
212 KB, 1268x1695
Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > New Hope > Revenge of the Sith > Clone Wars > Phantom Menace
>>
>>63513095
>there are people on this board
>>
The only things I like about AotC is the theme song of the Republic army and the fact that it permitted Clone Wars, the 2d animation,which is one of the best Star Wars cartoon
>>
>There are people on this board that consider Attack of the Clones

more like attack of the clowns
>>
this is the only star wars movie i own on dvd.
>>
OBJECTIVELY RIGHT CHOICES:

1. ESB
2. ROTJ (just for that Luke, Vader and Sheev scene)
3. ANH
4. Tartakovsky's Clone Wars

---POWER GAP---

5. ROTS
6. TPM
7. CW (Cartoon)

---THE POWEREST OF GAPS---

9001. AOTC=CW (movie)
>>
File: 1409928149001.gif (448 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1409928149001.gif
448 KB, 500x275
>>63512237
>Alec Guinness died in 2000, three years after the release of the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition
>The entire mess that was the Clone Wars could have been avoided by recording additional dialogue establishing the Clone Wars as one of several campaigns Obi-Wan participated in.

"You fought in the Clone Wars?"
"Yes; and the battle of Christophsis; the attack at Utapau; the campaign on Ando Prime... I was once a Jedi Knight. The same as your father."

Establish him as a war-weary old man and you avoid having to shoehorn in the Clone Wars as a seminal part of Star Wars history. Now your Grand Army of the Republic can be made up of volunteer Stormtroopers fighting for their planets: real men with real stakes.
>>
>>63515310
or just make the Clones the bad guys?
>>
>>63515470

That was the plan, going right back to 1979:

>“Not much is known about Boba Fett. He wears part of the uniform of the Imperial Shocktroopers, warriors from the olden time. Shocktroopers came from the far side of the galaxy and there aren’t many of them left. They were wiped out by the Jedi knights during the Clone Wars.”
>>
>>63515470
Not that droids were ever really characterized within the prequels, but I wouldn't bother just trading lack of protagonist depth for lack of antagonist depth.

A Star Wars that never featured a clone, good or bad, would be the preferred iteration. We never see a nest of gundarks(?); we don't need to see clones.
>>
>>63515577
How deep is the Imperial army, really?
>>
>>63513053
Attack of the Clones is my favorite prequel specifically because it plays out like George went and said "Let's mix a fucking Sword & Sandals flick with The Big Combo." It doesn't really work in terms of dialogue, but goddamn if it isn't surprisingly comfy to watch with the sound off. It's the one Star Wars movie that stretches its legs and doesn't try to be this big operatic story from the get-go so much as a straightforward thriller that has consequences once it blooms, and for that I'll always be a big fan of it.
>>
>>63512237

>there are people who consider runny shit better than clumpy shit

who cares?
>>
>>63513737
>The phantom menace really was widely praised at the time of release. It was both a critical and financial success and fans loved it.

This is the worst, dumbest /tv/ meme

everyone hated shitty babbyvader
>>
>>63513300
Skyrim is for the Nords.
>>
>>63513308

Dooku is probably the least convincing villain in the whole franchise. He's so crumbly you expect him to just drop dead any minute.
>>
>>63512237
Attack of the clones was a 2 hour long romance with bad acting.
It was fucking awful.
>>
>>63517518

my bad i mean everyone who wasn't 10 and under
>>
>>63517591

Part of the thing with Phantom Menace is that it was shit but there was a chance of it being redeemed by the second and third movies

Then AOTC came out and it was just as bad / worse, which erased a lot of the goodwill people were holding onto for Phantom
>>
File: 4VpL6cG.jpg (134 KB, 1081x819) Image search: [Google]
4VpL6cG.jpg
134 KB, 1081x819
>>63513740
Yeah, their box art designs are horrid, designed as to not challenge or offend anybody and to have the same eye catching appeal as a cereal boxes instead of respectable films, with at least one character looking down towards toddlers to match their eye level as they look upon the shelves, commanding them to bug their parents about it.
>>
>>63517518
go watch a video of the Phantom Menace theatre reactions on youtube. 99% of them LOVED it.

Obviously they were hyped and whatnot but the general hatred of the film didn't come until way later, after Clones, because then most people were pretty deflated about Star Wars in general.

That said I think it's obvious Menace is a sub-par film with some really great stuff in there that's mostly lost to Lucas's poor directing. People take for granted some the integral Star Wars ideas Menace and the prequels introduced, like The Sith, the Clones being on the side of the Republic, and almost all Jedi-lore in general.
>>
>>63513937

Just watch the Plinkett review of PM, it's way more entertaining.
>>
>>63516573
>Attack of the Clones is my favorite
stopped reading right there
>>
>>63513012
Not anymore. The last two Star Wars movies are PG-13.

So Star Wars is for pubescent teens you scumlord.
>>
>>63513179
Did you think before you typed that? My guess is no.
>>
>>63517792

It's 2015 and I'm on /tv/. Do you realize how unlikely it is that I would not have seen Plinkett already?
>>
>>63517736
>"The best Disney movie since Lion King"

What a bunch of homosensuals.
>>
>>63515310
The Clones not having emotional depth is a silly notion. They had much more emotion than all of the Stormtroopers in the OT combined and also more in-depth story behind them. It's even established in the movies that despite being Clones they have individuality and each is their own man, and some have earned respect among the Jedi. That's way more story applied in a few scenes with Obi and Cody than anything that happened between, well, anyone and the Stormtroopers.

Yes, they aren't volunteers but that doesn't make the 'emotion impact' diminish. They are forced-drafted warriors with no other option who are brainwashed into a life of military service...that's tragic. There is emotion there.

ALL THAT SIDE, why is everyone pretending like any of us gave a FUCK when a Stormtrooper died in the OT? The only things that even add any emotion or depth or plot to them at all are the EU books and comics released years later...in the movies they are just as much mindless action fodder as the droids are, maybe even more since the droids can [at least try to] be funny in the movies at points.
>>
>>63512237
It looks like Obi Wan is whistling in the thumbnail.
>>
>>63515539
Yeah, and also Anakin wasn't Darth Vader, Han wasn't that important and Leia wasn't Luke's sister.

Things changed.
>>
>>63512237
there are? I always though AotC was the weakest one of the prequels, Sith being the best one.
>>
File: Ewok3.jpg (286 KB, 1013x896) Image search: [Google]
Ewok3.jpg
286 KB, 1013x896
>>63514965
>ANH bot better than ROTJ
>implying the ending didn't save that movie

yeah

no
>>
>>63517897

I thought about it quite a bit.

Shit is shit, and it doesn't matter if one shit is superior to the other shit.
>>
>>63518050
>also Anakin wasn't Darth Vader

He was as of 1978

>Han wasn't that important

Han was never more important than he was in Empire.

>Leia wasn't Luke's sister

Which was fucking terrible

>Things changed.

For the worse
>>
>>63518162
Except movies aren't literal shit you autist, they're degrees of quality to them regardless of your stupid metaphor.
>>
>>63512237
>there are people on this board who think the prequles are bad
And they should go back to reddit
>>
>>63512237

Wow that's a bad cover.

Look at EM's dumb stare.
>>
Yes, both are equally shit.
>>
>>63518217
What's your point?

Mine's still relevant.

Star Wars has always been changing, it's never stopped. Saying the clones being bad was the 'original plan' is dumb because the plan was never set in stone and was always evolving just like everything else...Like Anakin wasn't Darth Vader, Han wasn't that important and Leia wasn't Luke's sister.

Also, ftr, Han wasn't important in the original drafts of 'Star Wars II' Ford's improv and general rebelling against Lucas brought new dimensions to the character and writing changed resulted.
>>
>>63518102
as a generalization, you're right.

but this is 4chan were such things as statistics don't matter to anyone.
>>
>>63512237
>the second movie in the OT is the best
>the second movie in the PT is the worst

POTTERY
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
>>63518021
The difference is, that in the OT the stormtroopers are the enemy force, while in the PT they are the good guys. You don't need a deep connection with the bad guys.
Take LotR for example: The orcs are just ugly, brutal monster and you like it when one of them dies, because you want the heroes to succed. But you want to care about the good guys so that you can create tension in fights and feel something.
So if you have fighting force made of disposable people who can be remade and reproduced infinitely, you don't care if they die, because their death has no consequence and therefore there is no tension, no drama and no emotion.
>>
>>63518224
>movies aren't literal shit
>your stupid metaphor

You're a fucking idiot who doesn't know what a metaphor is.

If a movie sucks ass it doesn't matter how much it sucks ass or how much better than another terrible movie it is. It doesn't matter what qualities a 4/10 movie has that makes it better than a 2/10 movie, they're both awful movies and the specific degree of awfulness doesn't matter.
>>
>>63518306
>What's your point?

My point was showing that in 1979 the (very rough, but still semi-official) conception of the Clone Wars was superior to what we ended up getting 23 years later. Nothing more than that.

>Mine's still relevant.

Your point isn't relevant to anything. Things change. And...? I know that, obviously, because I was pointing out one of the many things that ended up changed.

>Also, ftr, Han wasn't important in the original drafts of 'Star Wars II'

So? I never said anything about the original draft of the script.
>>
>>63513319

Neither of them are good tb͏h.
>>
>>63518575

>My point was showing that in 1979 the (very rough, but still semi-official) conception of the Clone Wars was superior to what we ended up getting 23 years later.

Is there any artwork for this? Anything by McQuarrie?
>>
>>63518811

I don't think so. Just a blurb in Bantha Tracks.
>>
>>63512237
>The planet was deleted from the Jedi archives and our 1,000 year old master sage has never heard of it... I better not check any other private or government databases for any trace. I'll stop by the diner and see if my old buddy Dexter Jettster knows anything about this!
>Wow, so this whole time they've been creating an army of literally trillions of clones! Despite the immense burden this would put on own economy, even before you account for the massive investments in military hardware and training, no one ever knew about it.
>Nevermind that the template for the clones is a notorious killer who is working for the sith, I guess we should trust this army

And the Count Dooku duel is the worst in the whole series by a mile.
>>
>>63519126
>And the Count Dooku duel is the worst in the whole series by a mile.

Return of the Jedi:
>Luke stands in defiance against Sheev, who through the sheer awesome powers of being evil begins torturing him to death with magic lightning. Sparks fly as Luke falls near the edge of a chasm into infinity and the Emperor's shadowing face is illuminated by flashes of light

Attack of the Clones:
>Count Dooku stands in a well lit barren room, points his hand at Obi-Wan Kenobi and shoots lightning at him. Obi-Wan blocks the lightning with his lightsaber and holds a conversation with him

God that was so fucking boring and terrible.
>>
The situation with the clone army is just about equal to this happening:

>It's 1944 and America is attacked by Japan
>A PI working out of New York is assigned to protect a senator
>The Senator is almost killed by a mysterious sniper, the PI gives chase but is eluded
>Finds a strange gun left behind
>Goes to the FBI but no one has ever heard of this gun
>Goes to a diner in Broolyn and a fry cook tells him it came from Atlantis
>He goes to the sunken city to find a US army that consists entirely of clones of Simo Häyhä
>Simo Häyhä also works for Hitler now and attacks the detective
>No one knows who these clones are or where they came from, but since the man who trained them closely works for Hitler it's pretty fucking suspect
>The US shrugs and decides to use them anyways
>A couple years later Order 66 goes out and the Jews are exterminated
>>
>>63519235
Dooku doesn't even react to lightning coming out of his fingers; it just looked so fucking fake like it had no force to it at all.

And don't forget:
ESB
>Luke gets his hand cut off
>He screams in pain
>Barely able to speak or stay conscious, keeps his hand close to his side
>He breathes heavily and his words are scratchy as though it is difficult for him to speak through the pain

AOTC:
>Anakin's arm is cut off
>Barely audible 'ugh'
>Is lightly tossed across the room and lays ontop of Obi Wan as Yoda flips around and fights Dooku

I mean, seriously. Compare the fucking reactions. It's comical.

ESB:
https://youtu.be/C-DeI3ohVbY?t=5m29s

ATOC:
https://youtu.be/BvnwLLXHabg?t=2m8s
>>
this board couldn't be more contrarian even if it tried
>>
>>63519415
>Obi-wan tosses Anakin his lightsaber under some kind of folly reasoning that two swords is better than one regardless of the fact that Anakin is far more trained in handling one lightsabre and throwing him another one to use will only hurt his ability to fight effectively
>The second saber breaks in half a second because Anakin can't dual wield for shit

Nice job, Obi-wan.
>>
>>63517577
underrated post
>>
God these films are such a mess, particularly AoTC
It's painful really, they do a few things really well, but as a whole they feel so disjointed and contradict shit from the OT often
I also feel like there's a weird disparity between the prequels and the OT. In the OT things feel grounded, sure you have lasers and spaceships but within the world set up everything feels fairly lived in and believable. You get the feeling Obi Wan is a retired war hero, that there is a history between him and Vader. Then the prequels come along, and immediately the whole mystique of the jedi is ruined. I understand that to an extent that had to happen, and that's what we were all there for, but immediately seeing two dudes in robes running at super speed (which we never see again), flipping around and shit. Anakin is suddenly a fucking super saiyan, flying around the city jumping out of high rise windows and between flying cars. I just struggle to see this as the future Darth Vader, there's only so much suspension of disbelief I can handle.
Clone wars didn't need to be this huge plot point, but if it was it could have been dealt with much better. Battle droids were stupid, and what happened to all of them? Surely the empire could have made use of them.
I see people complaining about the shitty writing in the prequels, and for the most part I see where they're coming from, but please tell me I'm not the only person who struggles to see that huge lava battle from RoTS and the fights from the OT taking place within the same fictional universe.
>>
>>63512237

That's because it is. Attack of the Clones had its problems, mostly acting, but the story was pretty interesting (especially Obi Wan's arc), and the pacing is decent. The Phantom Menace is just a horribly put together and bland film. The acting isn't the bad, the visuals are pretty decent, but the story is awful and terribly paced. And despite being the best part of the entire thing, there was literally no point in Darth Maul's character, he had like 5 minutes screen time.

AOTC may not be good, but it's a somewhat entertaining and fluent movie, rather than a 2 hour montage.
>>
>>63519869
I don't dismiss it outright since the only jedi we see in the OT were old men, older muppets, and a guy with MAYBE a few weeks of Jedi training, tops.

I agree the prequels shit the bed, but I was looking forward to seeing the Jedi order at its peak, with thousands and thousands of years of established and institutionalized training. I would be okay with them being badasses. Theoretically speaking.
>>
>>63512237
TPM is the best prequel IMO because it feels like a Star Wars movie more so than the other prequels even though it isn't nearly as good. It's also the last thing Lucas made where he didn't go overboard with CGI. Episode II has some shots that look awful, even during the decent bits of the movie. Episode III was an improvement but still had a "video gamey" feel.

The only parts in Episode I that really sucked were Jar Jar and that little shit who played Anakin. The fight scene at the end is badass.
>>
>TESB: 9/10
>ANH: 8/10
>ROTJ: 7/10
>ROTS: 4/10
>TPM: 3/10
>AOTC: 2/10
I was floored by how bad the prequels actually were when I last rewatched them
>>
>>63519291
I would watch this movie
>>
>>63519869
>please tell me I'm not the only person who struggles to see that huge lava battle from RoTS and the fights from the OT taking place within the same fictional universe.

I feel the same way.

What I really struggle with is associating Anakin with Darth Vader. There isn't a single thread of commonality running through the two characters. They just don't match up. Anakin should have been acting like Darth Vader BEFORE putting on the costume. Even if there is a logical reason not to do that, it's more important to establish that psychological connection for the audience's sake.

By putting that whiny brat in the Darth Vader suit and giving him the Darth Vader voice Lucas is basically telling us that Darth Vader was defined by how he looked and sounded. And while there was already a hint of that in Jedi by making Anakin a very feeble and non-threatening looking old man, in the prequels it was much more pronounced and much more destructive.

If I could at least watch Anakin do things and think "OK, this seems like Darth Vader" it would go a long way to save the prequels.
>>
File: podracing level.jpg (314 KB, 1120x1284) Image search: [Google]
podracing level.jpg
314 KB, 1120x1284
>>63520147
The planet core and pod racing felt right at home in a star wars movie. The rest misses the mark.
>>
AotC is the best Star Wars. This is because of those like concussion bombs when Obi is chasing jango through that asteroid belt. Fucking badass. the most underrated aspect of the series is the sound direction and editing. Seriously every ship, weapon, alien has a thoughtful, interesting, and unique sound.
>>
Sheev's plan:
>Have Obi Wan and Anakin protect Padme from assassination
>Jango Fett is the one hired to assassinate her, but instead he hires another female bounty hunter to do it for him
>The bounty hunter uses a droid to place poisonous bugs in Padme's room
>The two jedi sense the presence of the bugs
>The droid could've killed Padme by itself without being sensed, but that doesn't happen
>Obi Wan jumps out of a several hundred story window to grab onto the droid and be brought back to the bounty hunter
>The droid could've self-destructed so it wouldn't be traced, but that doesn't happen
>The bounty hunter could've left where she sent the droid from, but that doesn't happen
>Obi Wan and Anakin go on a several minute chase for the bounty hunter
>When they catch her, Jango Fett shoots a poisonous dart as her to kill her
>Jango could've used the time the jedis were distracted to kill Padme, but that doesn't happen
>Jango could've used a laser to kill the bounty hunter instead of a dart so he wouldn't be traced, but that doesn't happen
>Jango could've shot darts at Obi Wan and Anakin because the darts kill incredibly fast, but that doesn't happen
>Later, Obi Wan goes to his good friend Dexter Jettster who owns a 50's diner to ask him about the dart
>For whatever reason, Dexter knows that the dart is from Kamino
>Obi Wan goes to the jedi archives to look for more information on Kamino, but there is nothing
>Obi Wan interrupts Yoda's class where Yoda is teaching younglings so that a youngling can tell Obi Wan the data was deleted
>You would think the data was deleted to keep anyone from going to Kamino, but it's actually part of the plan for Obi Wan to go to Kamino
>Even though Sheev couldn't possibly know Obi Wan's good friend Dexter or know that Dexter knows about Kamino
>Anyways, Obi Wan heads to Kamino where he discovers a clone army made from Jango Fett
>Jango Fett also lives on Kamino, so he must be close to the clone army and the Kaminoians
(cont)
>>
>>63521158
>The clone army was made by a request from a jedi 10 years ago even though the jedi was dead when the army was requested
>Obi Wan and Jango Fett attempt to kill each other, on Kamino and in space
>It's part of the plan for Jango to try to kill Obi Wan but actually fail without knowing it so he can lead Obi Wan to Geonosis also without knowing it
>Obi Wan discovers the droid army and that Jango Fett is working with Count Dooku
>The other jedi show up to fight the droid army but are close to losing until Yoda shows up with the clone army
>No one questions the clone army's connection to the droid army
>Dooku escapes and returns to Coruscant where he tells Sheev the war has started
>The war that wouldn't have started if Padme's assassination was successful, if Jango Fett hadn't reveals himself or left a dart, if Obi Wan didn't know Dexter Jettster, if Jango Fett killed Obi Wan or vice versa on the way to Geonosis, or if the jedi hadn't trusted the suspicious connection the clone army has to the droid army
>>
File: smug sheev.png (6 KB, 358x291) Image search: [Google]
smug sheev.png
6 KB, 358x291
>>63521183
>All according to plan
>>
>>63513740
I remember one movie cover had horribly photoshopped the poster so that the protagonists looked friendlier and the intimidating villain was removed from the background.

Just awful.
>>
>>63516573
you, I like you
>>
i liked some of the obi wan scenes but it was such a fucking CGI fest, that even then, and especially today, i can't stomach it (not to mention ani & padme, etc.)
>>
>>63521653
>i liked some of the obi wan scenes
If only they were relevant to anything else happening in the movie. It's literally just giving him something else to do so you don't have to write scenes with three characters that aren't in a lightsaber duel.
>>
File: image.jpg (203 KB, 1150x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203 KB, 1150x750
WHAT A BUNCH OF FAGS
>>
>>63513095
>there's a fag on this board posting bait
It's you
>>
>>63516573

See, all of that sounds really nice until you actually watch it.

Also, fuck your sword and sandal shit, it's not integrated at all and is only tacked on in the last half hour.
>>
This little montage of Anakin searching for the Tuskens is the only thing in the movie I really liked. No dialog, just neat visuals, nice music and a genuine sense of forboding. Anakin is setting out into the night, alone. The Jundland Wastes are a dangerous place and Anakin feels emotionally vulnerable. There is a feeling of danger, and that Anakin will return from the desert a changed man.

This really reminds me of The Searchers, which is another story where violent indians kidnapp a settler and a loved one sets out to find her and reveals the true nature of his character. The difference is Attack of the Clones turned out to be a pile of shit and this scene disintigrated into gooey diarrhea soon after. But it was a nice little moment while it lasted.
>>
File: tim.gif (112 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
tim.gif
112 KB, 500x372
>>63516573
>surprisingly comfy to watch with the sound off
>>
>>63517830
Those are two words that should never be used in the same sentence
>>
>>63517789
>People take for granted some the integral Star Wars ideas Menace and the prequels introduced, like The Sith, the Clones being on the side of the Republic, and almost all Jedi-lore in general.

Nigger this shit is garbage, though.

The Emperor was just supposed to be an evil space wizard that didn't use a lightsaber, and any made-up story that explains the clone wars line in '77 is better than the tripe in the prequels.
>>
>boba fett movie
>retired
>restless in old age but happy about not being shot at all the time
>some stupid bullshit happens that pulls him out for one last job
>he's not as quick as he used to be
>but twice as tough
>running gun fight with IG-88 that levels city blocks
>beats the shit out of two Jedi in a fist fight
>bangs a twilek sith girl and gets her addicted to the D
>kills everyone
>In slave one heading back home
>a bounty comes across the communicator
>smash cut to black as slave one takes off into hyperspace
>back in black by AC/DC plays over the credits
Its like Dark Knight Returns meets Unforgiven
>>
>>63521183
The main thing I don't umderstand is that one Jedi. wjo's now dead, authorized for the clone army to be built, and after it's ready, the entire Jedi Order including Grand Master Yoda see no problem with their existence or utilization.
>>
File: sheev 1.jpg (17 KB, 541x559) Image search: [Google]
sheev 1.jpg
17 KB, 541x559
>>63522545
>PALPATINE'S BEHIND IT ALL
>>
>>63522545

I've heard fans try and explain it by saying that Sifo-Dyas is the Kamino aliens misremembering the name "Sideous" and so it was Dooku that did it.
>>
>>63519415
Luke gets absolutely devastated physically and emotionally in the ESB duel. So good.
>>
When Episode 1 isn't talking about trade routes it's talking about slavery. Like, the whole movie is trade routes, embargoes, taxes, and slaves.
>>
>>63522374
>smash cut

ugh
>>
>>63523370

And instead of the duel just being a showcase for an awesome score or whatever the fuck was going on in AOTC, in Empire it was used to tell the story. The characters are still present, they aren't just action figures doing things. Theres an actual story involved. At first Vader assesses Luke's skills and coaches him a bit and Luke momentarily gets the upper hand. Then the dialog drops and Vader starts kicking Luke's ass with the Force without even blinking. Then Luke and Vader square off for the end of the duel and Luke is totally beaten and exhausted even before his hand gets cut off.

What happens in any of the prequel duels? The most we got was "FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL!" Really?
>>
>>63512237
Its the best of the prequels
Fuck off
>>
where do i find unaltered original trilogy?
>>
>>63523121
That's remarkably retarded
>>
>>63520364

>No spike in 2015
>>
>>63524056
tbf that pic was from before. No one could have forseen the events of 2015 when they were plotting that.
>>
>>63523912
Either a torrent of the laserdisc version or harmy's despecialized is your best bet.
>>
>>63517591
Lets see you act, you fucking neckbeard
>>
>>63524141

>tfw I got the DVD's with the laserdisc transfers on them

They don't look great but at least I have the unaltered OT.
>>
>>63513095
Came here to post this
>>
>>63521158
>>63521183
I'm playing devils advocate here despite agreeing that the film is stupid, but regarding a few individual points:
>The droid could've killed Padme by itself without being sensed
I think R2 would of noticed it and tried to disable it, since he even picked up on the bugs before giving up cause the bugs stopped moving out of view, whilst I doubt the droid would have an easy time with that. Although the bugs apparently being smart enough to stop is pretty stupid and the droid might have been fast enough to do the job even with R2 getting triggered.
>The droid could've self-destructed
A lot of droids are shown throughout Star Wars to value self preservation, so if it thought it could shake Obi Wan or it's master could help then that could be understandable.
>Dexter knows that the dart is from Kamino
I've never minded this and thought it was far from impossible.
>Jango Fett also lives on Kamino
TCW mentions that since Jango left, they've had to stretch their DNA samples thin cause they couldn't top up and it led to wonky clones.
>The clone army was made by a request from a jedi 10 years ago even though the jedi was dead when the army was requested
But isn't this obviously part of the ruse rather than a plot hole? The request was faked.

Overall though, I genuinely thought that it was just Sheev's plan being thrown into action early, that the clone wars weren't actually meant to be set in motion yet. Alternatively couldn't Sheev have just forseen a lot of aspect? (As much as I hate that possibility)
>>
>>63523912
Get harmy's despecialized for A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

Get the renegade grindhouse 35mm transfer for Empire Strikes Back.
>>
>>63521158
>>63521183
Didn't they want to kill Padme because she was trying to prevent the war?
>>
>>63524708
No, she had to sign the treaty. Nute guneray wanted her dead out of revenge.
>>
>>63518455
>they're both awful movies and the specific degree of awfulness doesn't matter.
It does matter when you're comparing them
>>
>>63524994

I'm saying that comparing them is a waste of time.
>>
File: dooku.jpg (36 KB, 309x331) Image search: [Google]
dooku.jpg
36 KB, 309x331
>>63521465
>>
File: none of this matters.png (595 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
none of this matters.png
595 KB, 1280x720
>>63525040
Everything is a waste of time
>>
>>63521158
I always figured Dexter was a retired bounty hunter or military guy thats why he knew about the dart
>>
>>63513133
it's a shoop
we didn't get that cover in the U.S. anyways
>>
File: Luke_Skywalker.jpg (60 KB, 800x527) Image search: [Google]
Luke_Skywalker.jpg
60 KB, 800x527
>>63521616
Reddit phrase reddit please reddit phrase reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit reddit REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: sheev_pepe.png (117 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sheev_pepe.png
117 KB, 500x500
>>63514618
>that breakdancing Yoda on the episode 2 DVD hidden menu
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.