[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Age >Top 3 most favored directors >Top 3 least favored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 22
File: 1035x1035-MI0004020720.jpg (120 KB, 1035x1035) Image search: [Google]
1035x1035-MI0004020720.jpg
120 KB, 1035x1035
>Age
>Top 3 most favored directors
>Top 3 least favored directors
>Do you have any goals in regards to entering the film industry in some form
>>
>23
>Chantal Akerman, Eric Rohmer & Yasujiro Ozu (tied), Abbas Kiarostami
>Alejandro Inarritu, Zack Snyder, Michael Haneke
>I'm a writer/director. Trying to get my first feature off the ground next year. I used to do a lot of stage acting but I kind of gave that up.
>>
>>71706333
A few questions:
1) Where are you from?
2) How did the stage acting thing go? Did you have any prior preparation for it?(like college or w/e) and did you have any preparation for writing directing? If so, where? I'm thinking of becoming an actor, more specifically a screen actor(not that I don't like theatre, but I think screen acting is more complex and flexible). What would you recommend I do? Same question for directing.
3) Why do you hate Haneke?
>>
>>71706540
1) Most of my life has been spent in Sacramento area. I've traveled a lot though, even worked for Disney in Florida for a while.
2.1) Well I had done some plays in Elementary school, but when I was a senior in high school I started working for a high budget Haunted Attractions Theme Park because a girl I had a crush on recommended I check it out. I ended up being really good and becoming the head actor there and my image plastered on most of their promotional material it allowed me to obtain a lot of really neat opportunities and network with a lot of really interesting people. From then on I did a lot of plays and local short films. Before this, my acting experience was just some plays in elementary school.
I was doing stand-up comedy on occasion as well at the time, and I thought I'd work until I got a sitcom role, and then see where that took me. I never enjoyed screen acting though, absolutely hated it to be honest, and while I loved stage acting, I was worried that doing it professionally might make me hate it eventually because I have problems with authority.
Was doing very well with networking and whatnot, but eventually I got burnt out. When I was 20 I directed my first play and decided to just focus on directing things, mostly film. I got pretty into drugs when I was 21 though and took a short hiatus, but it resulted in me fucking up a lot of the connections I made for acting. Luckily I'm back on track now though.

I still act on occasion, but mostly just write and direct my shit. I feel that the feature I'm planning right now will be what I need to get at least some recognition.
>>
>>71706540
>>71706982
2.2) My preparation for writing/directing was just that I'm a natural storyteller. I've been making stories my whole life, and I've always loved film of all types.
And screen acting is only worth it if you want to become famous imo. It's boring to me, there's less freedom imo, and doesn't give the same thrill that being on stage does. They're both so incredibly different though and it's really just a matter of preference.
I'd suggest looking on Facebook for local filmmaker groups in your area and try and find people looking for actors for amateur short films. It's a way of building a resume, and even seeing if screen acting is something you'd enjoy.
For directing, you just got to go out there and make shit.
If you want an easy in to direct a play, just ask to direct a one-act for a local college. Most theatre departments have student directed one-acts every semester.

3) I just think he's pretentious. The vibe I gets from his films is like if Kiarostami hated his audience and just wanted to gloat about how much more clever he is than everybody else.
>>
>>71706982
>>71706333

How do you get into writing/directing?
>>
>>71707070
Read my two previous posts.
Also, I don't write/direct "professionally" yet, just some short films and community theatre plays (I've done professional acting work though) but you just have to do it.
You need to have a vision for what you're doing, know how to describe it to others, and have the social skills and charisma to manage a team of people who are all trying to help get your vision off the ground.
>>
>>71706333
do you like any directors who are still alive?
>>
>>71706333
>Alejandro Inarritu, Zack Snyder, Michael Haneke

that's pretty harsh considering shits like Uwe Boll or Paul WS Anderson exist
>>
>>71707153
Of course.
I'm really really into Andrew Bujalski and Sean Baker.
I have a lot of issues with Gaspar Noe, but I consider him to be the most original and ambitious voice working in the industry today.
Always loved Woody Allen and liken myself to a non-Jewish, hippie version of him in regards to personality.
I usually always enjoy the works of Richard Linklater, Christopher Guest, Harmony Korine, Sofia Coppola, Wes Anderson, Terrence Malick, and Lars Von Trier.

I think Derek Cianfrance, Myroslav Slaboshpytskiy, and Destin Daniel Cretton have a lot of potential to create very interesting names for themselves within naturalist filmmaking

Anybody else care to join the thread though? I don' mind answering questions about myself, but I was hoping to discuss directors with other people.

>>71707334
Paul WS Anderson is a pretty gifted schlock auteur. I assume you hate Michael Bay as well because it's popular to?
>>
>>71707364
>I assume you hate Michael Bay as well because it's popular to?

No, not really
>>
>>71706982
>>71707016
Thanks a lot for your insight. Really appreciate it. My only problem is that I live in a small town in Romania, so there aren't many film-makers here. Though I joined a local theatre group and it's pretty fun. I want to go somewhere like England or US after I graduate high school to further pursue a career in acting. Any thoughts about that or any advice? Would really appreciate it.
>>
>>71707662
Oh damn.
Well I won't lie, I am a privileged white American from California (it's a little difficult to say that unironically, but it is true) so I can't claim too know much about Romania or artistic outlets there.
I'd suggest just getting together with your buddies in the theatre group and make shorts with them. They're actors who want more on their resume so they'd be down and it results in all of you gaining experience in the fields you're interested in.
>>
>>71706242
>26
>Rivette, Kurosawa, Akerman (I don't think this is accurate but if I keep thinking I'll never answer)
>Inarritu, Whedon, David O Russell
>I'd like to be a writer/director but I don't watch enough films/read enough or write enough. I'm stuck in a depression rut and find it hard to do anything. I'll probably end up a dreamer who writes the odd screenplay for himself.
>>
>>71707745
I see.
And what do you think about the university thing?
>>
>Age

>favorite directors
Jon Favreau
Josh Whedon
Tim Miller

>hated directors
Zack Snyder
Christopher Nolan
Tim Burton
>>
>>71708061
Nice choices. But having both Kurosawa and Akerman in the top 3 seem at odds with each-other.
Kurosawa has some really neat stuff, but I find that my tastes tend to shy away from melodrama in favor of naturalism. Not that melodrama can't be good, just that I usually prefer naturalism.
>David O Russell
Can't stand him either.

>I'm stuck in a depression rut
Most artists will connect with that feeling dude. It really sucks and it's hard to get out of. Forcing yourself to be productive and finding friends who are pushing you to keep working helps though.
>>71708064
University is pointless for artists. You can't be taught how to be talented, talent is innate.
You'll also be indoctrinated into a certain mindset of how to go about things which is incredibly limiting and damaging to aspiring artists.
You're really better off just learning on your own and making shit.
>>
Snyder, Nolan.
There is too much people to hate.
I'm movie investor with a lot of money.
>>
Orson Welles, Carl Th. Dreyer, Theodoros Angelopoulos
Harmony Korine, Paul Thomas Anderson, Quentin Tarantino
I gave up on that a long time ago.
>>
>>71708228
I was thinking about universities more as a means to get a foot in the industry, considering my possibilities are very limited atm
>>
>>71708392
Why do you dislike Korine if you don't like me asking?
I can see why people dislike him, but I'm personally a pretty big fan.
>>71708416
>Wong Kar-wai
I've only seen Happy Together but I absolutely loved it. I've his heard other films are more Malicky though.
>>71708466
Are your options so limited though? You have friends who do theatre. All you need is an idea and a camera. You can act in films you make as well if you want to pursue acting moreso.
>>
>>71708228
Yeah, they would probably be top 10-15 with Kurosawa ranked higher but I've always struggled to try narrow favourites down, my taste is eclectic as well so when I start to reel them off it's a mass of contradictions.

I'm trying to force my self but it sucks since I don't really have friends at the moment. Think i'm going to order some film books/drawing books etc, just try absorb my self in art for a while and get some productivity going.
>>
File: 1431207802438.jpg (42 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1431207802438.jpg
42 KB, 700x500
>>71706333
>Eric Rohmer

Rohmer is a hack
>>
>>71708077
I see what you did there
>>
>>71706242
1) 18
2) Polanski, Coppola, Kubrick (dont wanna bullshit with you and say the only 3 foreign directors I know)
3) Wes Anderson, Almodovar, Shamalamadingdong I guess
4) Nothing apart from learning about it and how to appreciate it
>>
>Age
Howard Hawks
Mario Bava
Powell/Pressburger
Christopher Nolan
J.J. Abrams
Friedberg/Seltzer
No
>>
>>71708392
>22
>gave up a long time ago

wtf?
>>
>>71706242
Tarkovsky
Coen brothers
Early Ridley Scott
Worst
J j Abrams
Late Chrisopher Nolan
Late Ridley Scott

And no, why the fuck would I try to do that?
>>
>>71708604
I feel that.
Mainly with my music tastes.
My top two albums of the year thus far are an hip-hop album (Bottomless Pit) and a country album (A Sailor's Guide To The Earth).

And that's not a bad idea. I recently went through a few month period where I went total NEET and just tripped on psychedelics constantly and absorbed copious amounts of film, music, and literature.
I feel like those emotional states are important for artists because we're in such a dark mindset and our only outlet during that time is art. It allows us to gain so much personal reflection in a short amount of time that normies wouldn't otherwise get the chance to have.
>>71708723
Why?
>>71708809
>Coppola
Which one?
>Wes Anderson
What do you dislike about him?
>>71708952
>And no, why the fuck would I try to do that?
Because you have something to say?
>>
>>71706242

> 21

> Danny Boyle, Larry Clark, Tarantino (bite me)

> Don't have any

> Screenwriting and directing. In the process of writing up a treatment for an indie, coming of age film similar to Larry Clark's Bully. I would also like to create a tv show and have a draft of the pilot written.
>>
>>71709125
>I would also like to create a tv show and have a draft of the pilot written.
Same here dude.
I have two TV projects I really would like to work on one-day.
One a film centered around the students and faculty of a small high school for students with the "Emotionally Disturbed" classification. Mostly inspired by personal experience.
As well as a film centered around the Iranian Revolution.
I'd also like to adapt the film Network into a stage musical at some point.
Mostly though I plan to stick with the film medium.
>>
>>71709094
Everyone has 'something to say' but most people here are just delusional derivative oxygen wasters. Go to lit if you want to hear about mindless ambition.
>>
>>71709267
>but most people here are just delusional derivative oxygen wasters
I don't disagree with that, but if you personally feel like you have something to share, then why not do it?
The kind of thinking you're presenting is understandable, but counter-intuitive to artistic growth.
>>
>>71709226

Good luck with that anon. I'm gonna take some film related classes in the fall and also start a film club at my school to get exposed to new things and meet likeminded creators.
>>
>>71709226
>As well as a film centered around the Iranian Revolution.
Sorry, I meant TV show.
>>
>>71709226
Both of these would be TV shows. I don't know why I wrote film.
I probably need to proofread my posts a bit better. Feeling off today lol.
>>
>>71709267
You don't need to "say something" You could make action films like Predator and Hard Boiled.
>>
File: 1381785428644.jpg (79 KB, 400x452) Image search: [Google]
1381785428644.jpg
79 KB, 400x452
>22
>Zoltan Fabri, Joao Cesar Monteiro, Lav Diaz
>Can't think of any
>I wanted to be a directory, can't follow that dream now
>>
File: CUTTHROATS9.jpg (45 KB, 758x426) Image search: [Google]
CUTTHROATS9.jpg
45 KB, 758x426

top 3
Sam Peckinpah, Sergio Leone, John Ford

bottom 3
lars von trier, gaspar noe, dolan xavier

there's no future for me in the film industry, i'm too antisocial, i hate working with people and besides my job pays handsomely
>>
>>71706333
shit taste mate.
>>
>>71709875
>lars von trier, gaspar noe, dolan xavier
Is it because of their pretension and self indulgence? Personally I think that's part of their charm.
>>71709905
Why do you say that?
>>
>>71709917
>Is it because of their pretension and self indulgence?
spot on, that's pretty much it
>>
>>71709917
>Why do you say that?
he probably wanted a (you)
>>
>>71706242
>Age

Nolan (refuses to use cgi unless absolutely necessary)
Kubrick
Kopolla
Scorsese

Snyder
Bay
Shamalan

>me
>goals
pick one
>>
>>71706242
>Age
Billy Wilder, Sidney Lumet, PTA
JJ Abrams is really the only one I hate.
I'd like to write a screenplay one day, but it's not something I take particularly seriously, beyond writing in my spare time.
>>
>>71706333
>>Alejandro Inarritu, Zack Snyder, Michael Haneke
Why? They're all good directors.
>>
>>71710486
this list looks more like 'whoever is popular now and I consider him overrated'
>>
>>71710154
I definitely can understand that sentiment.
I felt like that regarding Noe for a long time. Watching Love and rewatching Enter The Void last year made me really re-look at my perception of Noe.
He's a very pretentious, self indulgent, immature and dare I say; edgy man.
However his films are all clearly so incredibly personal and ambitious.
There is nobody else in the industry making films like he does other than maybe Malick (and I'm not referring to simply on a visual sense).
Watching his films are like reading a beautiful but frustrating diary entry of a tortured genius.
You can just tell he's so passionate and so talented, and rather than tone himself down he just throws everything out there.
>>71710405
>(refuses to use cgi unless absolutely necessary)
He's technically proficient, sure. However, does that make him a good auteur? His films are so insulting to the audience yet pretend to be high-brow.
I enjoy most of his work, but his films still piss me off to no end and I would never consider him anywhere close to one of the "best fillmmakers".
>Bay
Why?
>>71710486
Haneke is arguable, but I really dislike him.
Inarritu and Snyder are counterfeit frauds. The biggest hacks working today.
>>71710516
I can't see how anybody can think that is how I made my list given the list itself and all of my other posts in this thread.
>>
>>71710574
>Inarritu and Snyder are counterfeit frauds. The biggest hacks working today.
this isn't a reason, it's just mindless bashing.
>>
>>71710486
Not him, but people have been hating Inarritu and Snyder for a long time.
>>
>>71706242
>Age
Guillermo Del Toro
Mel Gibson
Robert Zemeckis but also Spielberg
Zack Snyder
Lucas
JJ Abrams
No, i was a stage hand for a bit for money but that's as far that would go and i worked at universal studios. i get enough hollywood living in la
>>
>>71710645
yeah it's a meme.

the people who profess to hating them can't even give coherent reasons for doing so beyond using buzz words like "hack" "fraud" etc.
>>
>>71710617
Their films aren't made with intention of creating genuine art, they are created in order to garner themselves attention.
Both have such high opinions on themselves which are quite off base from reality.
With Inarritu he purposefully works with artists much more talented than himself in order to cover up his own inadequacies. His films all reek of "Look at how intelligent and creative I am! Look! Look!" without actually having anything intelligent or creative to say.
He's counterfeit cinema.

Snyder wants to be seen as a deeper filmmaker of action movies, but he's not at all an intelligent man.
Look at Watchmen for example; sure, it looked pretty and like the comic book, yet he clearly didn't actually understand what he was adapting beyond just the images on the pages.
Or Sucker Punch? Something I personally consider one of the worst movies I've ever seen and everything wrong with Zack Snyder as a director.
He keeps trying to make something that he thinks has substance, but there isn't anything of substance in his head. If he was a self-aware Michael Bay esque director and knew that he should just be making dumb action movies it would be fine, but the self-seriousness that comes along with the terrible adolescent esque writing, and some the most ham-fisted attempts at visual metaphors I've seen makes his works unbearable.
>>
>>71706242
>26
>Scorsese, Kubrick, Lynch, Kurosawa, Peckinpah, Polanski
>Snyder, Nolan, Abrams
>No
>>
>>71706242
>20
>Nicolas Winding Refn, Paul Thomas Anderson, Akira Kurosawa
>Christopher Nolan, George Lucas, Tim Burton
>No, don't even know why I made this post desu.
>>
>>71710851
this is entirely personal attacks on people you don't actually know and you don't actually criticize any aspect of their filmmaking at all.

this kind of criticism is worse than worthless, it's entirely personality driven
>>
>>71710851
Good description of Snyder here.
>>
>>71710922
Your personality comes out in your art.
>>
>>71706333
>Abbas Kiarostami
hurr! he died so he's my fav!
>>
>>71710851
this is the kind of criticism you'd expect from someone who knows nothing about film but just wants to sound superior.

nothing about the technical aspects of filmmaking, just meme reality tv style complaints about personality.
>>
>>71711101
You aren't an artist, are you?
>>
File: short.webm.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
short.webm.webm
2 MB, 640x360

>Top 3
Nagisa Oshima
Alain Resnais
Edward Yang
There are many more it could be depending on the day and what I've been watching lately.

>Bottom 3
Spike Jonze
Jean-Luc Godard
Quentin Tarantino

>Goals
I have directed a short, am planning a short documentary for this summer and have a longer term goal of getting my feature made.
>>
Kim Ki-duk, HHH, Linklater
Tarantino, Wes Anderson, Gaspar Noe (obviously excluding capeshit directors and other cheap thrills similars)
No
>>
>>71711256
Why do you dislike Godard?
>>
>>71711344
I think Godard is important to study. The things he did with grammar are interesting but I always get the feeling that he's condescending to the audience. The fact that you can get everything you need out of Godard by only watching his pre 1967 films is an important point I think.

In addition, if you read any of his film commentary in Cahiers or through interviews he's incredibly inconsistent in his views. He'll praise Hitchcock and deride Clouzot for doing exactly the same things. He'll change his politics at a moment's notice in order to make it fit with whatever he's doing or so he can condemn what someone else is doing.

Lastly he also seems like a colossal asshole. The way he treated his friendship with Truffaut or how he belittled Anna Karenia to her face during an interview. I don't know, maybe what I know about him as a person is tainting my view of his movies.
>>
kurosawa, tarkovsky, wkw/kieslowski (tie)
inarritu, russell, abrams

i write. a lot. waiting until i have a critical mass of quality material before i send. also not refined enough yet to tackle some of the treatments i have and flesh them out into the screenplays they deserve. some things just need to percolate a bit more.

studying all the elements of filmmaking as well obv, probably gonna have to direct if i ever make it (protip: i probably won't). i feel like i get editing, pacing, themes characterizations (and casting) and subtext pretty well, but tying things together as a whole is fucking hard man. need more time and experience with cameras for sure, still entry-level af with learning the nuances of cinematography. i also seem to be a major fucking pleb when it comes to sound/music, not sure where to go on that front.

probably trying to do a little too much of everything in kinda the wrong order. oh well.
>>
>>71711602
Agree with your last point, he's always come across a prick, I didn't know a lot about his Cahiers/interviews though. He's a worse person than I thought of he's pulling that shit, going to seek some out.

>The fact that you can get everything you need out of Godard by only watching his pre 1967 films is an important point I think.

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree, this is interesting to think about. I think I need to watch some of his movies over the weekend and have a think about this. I agree on the condescension, he's always had his head up his arse.

Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>71707334
>Paul WS Anderson
AvP is a masterpiece
>>
>>71711920
it's a disgrace to both franchises
>>
>23
>Tarkovsky, Bergman, Corns
>Snyder, Emmerich sans ID4, that's about it. Few directors I don't like who I've seen enough of their work to say I dislike them a lot
>Considering trying to write about film or teach film, otherwise no it'll just be a hobby of mine forever
>>
>>71706242

>Age
Kubrick, Tarantino and Fincher
Lucas, Abrams and Zack Snyder
Nope.
>>
>>71710298
hating lars von trier can hardly be considered controversial
>>
>>71706242
>Age
Scorsese, Kubrick, John Huston
Danny Boyle, spike lee, Oliver stone
not anymore
>>
I'd rather see a dozen capeshit company wars faggots posting here than the unbearably retarded pseudo-intellectuals in this thread.
>>
>>71706242
>23

>Judge, Lumet, Scorsese

>M Night Shyamalan, Zack Snyder, Jew Jew Abrahams

>I'm an accountant but my father rented a small flat to an amateur porn studio, sometimes he let me be the one to knock on the door to get the money and keep it for myself (i wasn't allowed to get in, and they were usually chill people)
>>
>all the snyder hate

I know he's a pretentious cunt who tries to sell capeshit as high art, but there are many people far worse than him
>>
>>71712214
But this is a capeshit company wars faggot board now, so anyone writing about their serious film opinions and aspirations is automatically a joke. I'm honestly shocked that there are any people left to actually posture about their film knowledge and creative superiority.
>>
>>71712380
hating snyder is a meme.

none of the people in this thread know anything substantial about film so they hop on the narrative that they think will make them look intelligent.
>>
>>71712214
Meh, in the battle between pretension and banality I'd much rather be pretentious than banal.
>>
>>71712524
except you're both pretentious and banal.
>>
>>71712508
I know quite a lot about film. I also don't hate Snyder or any other primarily commercial directors. I'm not interested in them but I think Snyder has more integrity than most commercial directors. Still though, he's pretty uninteresting.
>>
>>71712601
Nah, you're just projecting.
>>
>>71712645
have you read the comments here? there is literally zero actual analysis of film in this thread, just name-dropping meme directors and talking out of your ass.
>>
>>71712726
I mean, I'm not responsible for any post here other than this>>71711602

Do you want to talk about film? We can.
>>
>>71712807
Not on this board, not for a long time.
>>
>>71712881
Why not? We're both here. I've had good discussions on here before.
>>
>>71712807
that post is a good example of what's wrong with this thread.

you're psychoanalyzing someone you know nothing about and don't actually critique anything about his films. nothing about the composition of his shots, nothing about the use of music and sound, nothing about the subject matter he chooses or recurring themes. there is plenty of material to critique but you don't actually do that, other than a vague allusion to 'grammar' and an unsubstantiated remark about him being condescending.

i don't care if you like someone's work or not, but if your go-to line of reasoning is to spew some nonsense about his character there is little of value there. it's like saying you hate woody allen films because he's a pedophile.

most of this thread is praising/attacking someones character with zero analysis of their actual work beyond vague emotion driven complaints or praise.
>>
File: plebandproud.png (697 KB, 1135x835) Image search: [Google]
plebandproud.png
697 KB, 1135x835
>>71706242
>22
>Cameron, Coens, Carpenter
>Snyder, Noah Baumbach, Duplass Brothers
>Plan on moving to LA in a couple of years to give acting a shot. Not expecting it to be easy, but I'm confident it's what I want to do with my life
>>
>>71711602
I have a very mixed view on godards films, Weekend and Pierrot le feu are both funny and strange films, breathless was cool as hell and Alphaville was solid tribute to its genre. Une femme est un femme was cute.
But I couldn't emotionally involve myself with vivre vi, although I was thrown off that it was comparatively grimmer than his other work than the time. I've only partially seen Band of outsiders.
>>
>>71706242
Faves
>Tarantino, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan
Least Faves
>idk... those 'art' directors, they're just a bunch of fucking pretentious hacks
Any plans
>Yes, I want to be a director
>>
>>71713079
Give me a little bit and I'll respond point by point. Then we can have an in depth discussion about Godard.

I have quite a lot to say about his use of camera movement, editing, brechtian distancing and music.

Additionally, your point about my psychoanalyzing him based on what he's said and done is hypocritical considering that you are doing the same thing with that posts and the people in this thread but again. I'll respond in full once I get home.
>>
>>71713182
As for my top three directors
David Lynch, Andrei Tarkovsky and Francois Truffaut
As for the ones I dislike
Martin Scorsese, Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan
I'm not currently trying to get into the film industry, too much on a non-team player when it comes to writing stuff.
>>
>>71713477
30 btw.
>>

I really like early Luc Besson. Subway, Le Grand Blue. My favorite film is Angel-A. Basically I prefer his dramas over his action, but The Professional is good too. Started studying French just because I like his films so much.

I also really like Wes Anderson and Miyazaki.

Am I a pleb? How do I not be a pleb? Some directors I think are overrated, but I wouldn't go as far as hate.

My last job was at Disney World Florida and I'm applying to graduate schools in China for International Relations. We'll see about film industry; it's possible with Wanda group and everything.

Recommend me some directors I'd like /tv/.
>>
>>71706242
ey i know that album
1. David Lean, Alfred Hitchcock, Akira Kurosawa
2. Schumacher, Zemeckis, Susan Seidelman
3. I write screen plays as a hobby, been meaning to go to school but im poor as fuck. I'm hoping to storyboard animate the beginning of a script and post it on kickstarter, maybe people will fund me and I can make a cheap indie flash animated "film"
>>
>>71706242
>>Age
>>Top 3 most favored directors
Herzog, Cronenberg, Refn
>>Top 3 least favored directors
Sofia Coppola, Wes Anderson, Noah Baumbach
>>Do you have any goals in regards to entering the film industry in some form
>goals

HA HA HA HA HA HA
>>
>>71714181
I never liked Anderson's movies either
>>
>>71713709
OP here, I stepped out for a while because I wasn't liking the direction of the thread.
What park did you work at? I was at Magic Kingdom. Were you college program?

Have you seen anything by Gaspar Noe? His stuff is a lot darker than most on your list, but he captures that same since of wonder that all of the directors you mention aim for.
>>
>>71706242
>28
>Welles, Chaplin, Coppola
>Nolan, Tarantino, Lynch
>No
>>
>>71714684
Nolan is overrated also, fuck yeah, all good choices for both sections
>>
>19
>Sofia Coppola, Nicolas Winding Refn, Richard Kelly
>iunno
>Perhaps
>>
lucas, kubrick, danny boyle

tarantino, bay, chris columbus

none as of yet
>>
(I don't actually watch that many films, pls no bully)
>Age
wes anderson, hal ashby, kubrick i guess
micheal bay, tyler perry, ......whoevers responsible for grown-ups 2 i guess
used to want to be an actress, but not really anymore, no.
>>
>>71714972
Why do you hate Michael Bay?
>>
Yuj
>>
>>71714972
uch, terrible terrible terrible taste, i hate you
>>
>>71713079
So let's talk a little about Godard.

Concerning his use of jump cuts in Breathless. This was done specifically as a suggestion given to him by Jean-Pierre Melville. Basically, Godard's scenes were so aimless and essentially improvised and in order to make them even slightly watchable he was told by Melville to "just cut to when something actually happens". It was an accident necessitated by his inability, not a stroke of genius. What's more, let's look at the much lauded "subject matter" of breathless. It's saying that you shouldn't take movies so seriously or rather that you shouldn't try applying film narratives to your own life. Not an overall terrible point but let's evaluate how he communicates this. Basically it all comes through dialobgue and painfully literal dialouge at that.

But hey, Breathless was a first feature so whatever. Fear and Desire sucked too, right? Well let's take a look at that "grammar" I referenced and how it's used. What I mean by him doing a lot for grammar is that he did a lot of interesting experiments with how you can change film form to get different effects. Audio experiments in Une Femme Est Une Femme, Color experiments in Pierrot le Fou, 4th wall breaking throughout a number of his pre 1967 films. Hell he even experimented with the use of stars in Contempt, but what did he actually communicate using these techniques? Almost nothing. Nearly every one of these techniques is simply used to point out "aren't movies artificial?" or "look how vapid everyone is" and that's it. That's essentially all he has to say. And what's worse is that his use of brechtian distancing is almost always in confrontation with the audience.

(1/2)
>>
>>71715386
To contrast, let's look at one of the examples that influenced godard most. Summer With Monika by Ingmar Bergman. In that film, Bergman has Harriet Anderson look directly into the lens. There's no story reason for her to do this, no person sitting there returning her gaze, instead Bergman is having her look directly at that audience so that we can feel that she sees how we the audience are judging her for betraying the trust of her boyfriend and their child. It is a somber macabre moment of personal introspection for the audience and the character alike. It makes you question her reasons for going out, how she feels about her infidelity, how she feels about her home life.

There is absolutely nothing like this in any of Godard's work because Godard simply doesn't seem to be willing to be introspective. It's like he only writes characters for himself to judge. It's just the way he treats characters.

But anyway, let's see if you're still even here.

(2/2)
>>
>>71714599

Saw Enter the Void a while back. Good film, but haven't seen anything else. Heard bad things about Love though.

Yeah, I was a CP just before graduation. I got MK parking over at Ticket and Transportation Center. Thought it would be awful, but turned out alright. We got to drive the big trams or ride on the back and use the microphone to welcome people. Better than ushering people through lines or regular cashier work I suppose. Schedule was pretty late too, two hours after MK closes, so coworkers would always go out to all-night diners at 3AM. What'd you do at MK?
>>
>Jim Jarmusch, Igmar Bergman, Hiroshi Teshigahara
>Hitchcock, Darren Aronofsky, Speilberg
I'd like to be a writer but I have no talent.
>>
>>71714787
>Richard Kelly

His career is over, right? I actually liked Southland Tales and The Box.
>>
>>71715676
>Heard bad things about Love though
Love is actually my favorite film of his. It's his most personal film, and it's kind of like a really fucked up To The Wonder.

And nice. I was a CP for Spring 2015. Worked Main Street custodial at MK. Was a pretty easy job since CP's usually worked closing shifts so I'd just come to work pretty baked, switch out trash bags every once in a while, sweep up popcorn, and just watch the parades and fireworks. I would always get really into Celebrate The Magic and sing along to the medley's and get guests to get into it with me.

We also would get out pretty late on some nights (once we didn't get out till about 4) but overall it was the best job I've ever had. The custodial crew would also usually go to iHop after on a lot of nights, but I had a group of CP friends I would always go back and hang out with at our "trap apartment" in Patterson (all of us had our own apartments at different complexes (most of us were in Patterson though) but we'd just hang out, party, and crash at this one dude's apartment because we were a squad, five of us were filmmakers as well which was really cool)
>>
>13
>Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, David Ayer
>Russo Bros, Joss Whedon, Jon Favreau
>Plan on directing the next generation of Superhero kino
>>
>>71715683
>Listing Hitchcock under hated directors
>No talent
makes sense to me
>>
>>71715944

Hey, we were there at the same time! Might have even run into each other, haha.

I liked To the Wonder, so I'll probably check out Love too then.
>>
>>71716180
Dude! What complex were you in?
I wonder if we shared any of the same friends.
>>
File: Map_of_the_Sounds_of_Tokyo.png (964 KB, 728x980) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_the_Sounds_of_Tokyo.png
964 KB, 728x980
>>71716234

Chatham. Um, my roommates were 40 yr/old black guy, Belgian, Colombian, short, fat American bus worker, and this popular guy named Amando.

Mostly hung out with coworkers from ticket center and this awesome girl who transferred from Pirates for two weeks. I knew two custodials, my roommate, black guy native to FL who worked AK, and the one assigned to ticket center, Joseph, who was fired for breaking too many girls' hearts.
>>
>>71716712
Ah, we might not have had any mutual acquaintances then.
Just in case though, recognize anybody in this photo? It's the majority of the squad I kicked it with, minus a few people.
Still a super small world though!
>>
>>71716841
I'm not the dude in the front taking the photo btw.
>>
>>71716841
Bruh, I miss Disney.
>>
>18
>Godard, Jarmusch, Rick Alverson
>Anderson, Tarantino, Stanley Kubrick
>I want to write and direct my own films. Rn I'm saving up money to produce a short, and I hope to grind making shorts until someone gives me money for a feature. I don't need much, I'm really into low budget/guerrilla film. I also would like to write for a TV show, or possibly create one. Something on Adult Swim would be cool, a place where I can have the most creative freedom.
>>
>>71716988
>>71716841
I really wanted to make a TV series on my experiences in the college program, but I don't think I'd be able to do it if Disney was aware of what the story is based on.
>>
>>71716841

Nah. If you drove through the autoplaza you might have seen me though. They transferred me over for the last month. That's probably the worst job on college program.

That's me behind Minnie.
>>
>>71717094
Nah, I don't think I recognize you desu.
You remember when some lady tried to bring a baby tiger into the park?
>>
>>71706242

Most favoured: Federico Fellini, Chris Marker, Luis Buñuel
Least favoured: David Fincher, Christopher Nolan,JJ Abrams

Why I hate Fincher? Just because everything is bleak and drab doesn't mean it is great
Why I hate Nolan? He's the film equivalent of those pop science authors or novels people who normally don't like science read and consider it deep or profound
Why I hate Abrams? He's ruined the sci-fi field and disguised a bunch of shitty action films for low brow morons and don't get me started on The Force Awakens, I did love Lost but that's an exception and mostly because of Lindeloff.

None goals whatsoever
>>
File: adventureland.jpg (43 KB, 612x425) Image search: [Google]
adventureland.jpg
43 KB, 612x425
>>71717076
>>
>>71716841
>
>>71716988
>>71717076
>>71717154
you look like you had a lot of fun. what is this college program thing?
>>
>>71717275
Adventureland isn't quite the same.
There's something about living with people all around the world who all work for the same company that was really emotionally powerful for me. I had such a connection to these people and the experience and I don't that feeling will ever diminish.
>>71717298
Basically you apply online, the only requirement is that you're taking a college class, you have a phone interview which is super easy, and when you pass you go down to Orlando and live in one of four Disney owned apartment complex with people from all around the world who are also doing the internship. Disney also provides transportation to work and around Orlando area through busses specifically for the intern workers.
It's not really an internship, more slave labor, but it's an incredible experience.
>>
>>71717422
Only thing that sucks is they make you cut your hair.
>>
>>71717154

I remember hearing something about the tiger.

Craziest thing I remember was this black family. The father brought his kids along with new girlfriend and ex-wife. They were fighting at the ticket center at night, loud screaming, security came. The ex-wife ripped the guy's dreadlock right out of his head. Must have hurt.

Kind of strange about all the things going on now. That kid drowning and the night club. While I was FL, there was a terrorist shooting in Chattanooga TN, my college town. Got to see Biden speak as soon as I got back.

Dangerous world now, but at least we got to make some kids happy for a little while.

>>71717215

Fellini is great. You're probably objectively right about the hates, but I don't get angry enough to care.
>>
Also, Wil's Party Bus is the best thing. I actually became pretty close with Wil and his crew while I was there.>>71717480
>>71717480
Jesus Christ. Sounds intense. I never had to deal with too much drama, mostly just guests angry that I wouldn't let them take photos backstage when they were using the Bypass at night.
>>
>>71717538
Although I did shit my pants on Easter.
Most embarrassing experience..
Let me grab the write-up on that.
>>
>>71717683
>Embarrassing cringe story that I'm going to post anyways because it's funny and relevant.
So last Easter kind of sucked.
I was working at Magic Kingdom at the time and was working a PAC like role in between Tony's restaurant and the Confectionery, making sure that crowds followed a certain path on the sidewalks during the Easter and Festival of Fantasy parades.
I was terribly sick at the time (like, could barely move, and my ass and my stomach were my arch-enemies) but couldn't call out of work because I was on my very last call-out before I would get termed (which unfortunately ended up happening a week later because I was a stupid kid who took the whole program for granted and just wanted to party hard or get stoned and hang out with my friends rather than work).
I was also bummed because all of my friends were having a big Easter breakfast that I wasn't able to partake in, because y'know; work.
So working, feeling like death, trying to make sure all the guests stayed on the right part of the sidewalk when suddenly a fellow cast member comes up to me and tells me that a stain suddenly appeared on the back of my pants.
"What? Fuck...".
I leave my post and ran to the nearest restroom, and sure enough there was indeed a large brown stain on the back of my white custodial pants.
I begin to panic, and quickly run to the other side of Main Street to get to the Main Street CDS room.
I'm panicking.
"MK50!?, Mk50!? Please come to the Main Street CDS as soon as possible".
My manager eventually gets over to where I'm at and let's me go home, without it affecting my record card which was a huge relief.
However, on the bus ride home I lost my wallet and thus was without any funds, nor my ID for my last week in Florida before somebody managed to return it to me shortly before I left.
So yeah, I shit my pants while working at Disney World and it was pretty awful.
>>
>>71717422

Well there might be a way to do the show if it's super generic like Adventureland. Or following whatever the laws are for parody.

>>71717422

Disney World requires a huge staff, mostly low wage workers. Some of them they source from the local economy. Mostly retirees or people who kind of fail at life. Not exactly the best people for the Happiest Place on Earth.

So they recruit college kids to work there under the guise of an internship. The idea being that young college kids are actually excited about working there. Just jobs like custodian or cashier, but there's free entrance to all the parks.

Ratio is about 9:10 girls with half the guys being gay. A straight guy can really clean up. Lots of people on the internship even meet there and get married. My roommate from Colombia did that because his girlfriend wanted him to stay with her.
>>
>>71717956
I wouldn't want it to be generic though. I want it to focus on a squad of outcasts within the program who group together, how emotionally taxing the program can be, the bonds that grow during it.
The sex life and drug use that goes on within College Program life can result in some really interesting melodrama.
>>
>>71717786
>>71717538
>>71717076
>>71716841

Dude, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but how do I get involved in something like this? Im desperately alone and every year I feel the sensation of fear that i will never actually get to work in films creeping up in me in like cold water through my veins, what the fuck is going with this whole scene
I want to be a part of something, I moved to LA but its like I dont know what the fuck to do, I see people working all around me on films in the streets, God I want to be with them
>>
>>71718026
See >>71717422
What's also cool is if you complete the internship you're automatically eligible for a shit-ton of internships within the Disney company. Pretty sure they have film internships with some of the companies.
>>
>>71718068
thank you
>>
>>71716841
>all those pizza boxes not thrown out
Why did you live like pigs?
>>
>>71717786

Code brown, haha.

>I was a stupid kid who took the whole program for granted and just wanted to party hard or get stoned and hang out with my friends rather than work

Besides a few girls who dream of working at Disney World forever, that seems like most people there. I was notorious for trading shifts and called out the maximum before getting reprimanded. One major problem with the ticket center - it's the main entrance, so people entering and leaving the park have a lot of trash. Despite this, it's severely understaffed for custodial. There was one older lady and this CP Joseph. Joseph and I were friends, but he was fired after sleeping around with too many girls. Eventually one of them got jealous and reported him for sexual assault. That left one custodian for the entire area and the cans started overflowing.
>>
>>71715063

he makes garbage movies with no artistic merit that honestly aren't even fun to watch, although I'm probably not the target audience. I don't actually 'hate' him personally or anything, he's just fulfilling a market, I was just struggling to think of some directors I don't personally enjoy since I don't usually try to watch shit I don't like lel

>>71715120

Love you too bb <3
>>
>>71718017

Yeah, it's possible to take the idea of an internship like that at a theme park. Just change the name from Disney and it might fall under parody law. How would you film it? Soundstage? Abandoned theme park?
>>
>>71718122
Of course! Fair warning though, the internship is not without cons though. It feels a bit Orwellian at times. Especially within the apartment complexes.
>>71718225
Because the Leaning Tower of Pizza was more important than cleanliness or passing apartment inspections.
>>71718242
Yeah, I would always hear nightmares from my fellow Main Street cast members about taking shifts at TTC.
Didn't a dude name Jonathan work there as well? I ran into him on a few occasions and he was really cool.
I heard you guys had Diego for a while as well before he moved to Main Street and made our lives a living hell. Don't know why they didn't just term that kid.
>>
>>71718242
OH SHIT! IS THAT JULIANNA IN THE FRONT?
>>71718356
That's bullshit. Bay is a great popcorn auteur with a very distinct visual sense. He's a fucking genius.
He's had a few misfires, but The Rock and Pain & Gain are great for their intent.
>>
>>71718356

I think the funniest thing was the last Transformers. Suddenly halfway through the film the whole cast moves to Hong Kong. The plot excuse is paper thin, but it did really well in China.
>>
>>71718429
He's clearly just cashing in for paycheck with the Transformers sequels.
Bay at his best though is fucking great fun.
>>
>>71718423

I love the shit out of Jules. She worked with us at TTC for like two weeks.
>>
>>71718361
I'd want to film it mostly in apartment complexes which is doable.
I just worry because Disney lawyers are terrifying.
>>71718464
She was awesome. She was good friends with one of my buddies in that squad I mentioned and hung out with us on quite a few occasions.
>>
File: Escape_From_Tomorrow_poster.jpg (24 KB, 265x375) Image search: [Google]
Escape_From_Tomorrow_poster.jpg
24 KB, 265x375
>>71718510

There was the amateur horror film made on location. Escape from Tomorrow, that's the one. Guerilla filmmaking, sneaking around, etc. Bit of a risk though.

That's funny about Jules. It really is a small world.
>>
>>71718650
>>71718510
>Disney lawyers are terrifying
>Bit of a risk though.
Why are they terrifying? What risk?

Like I don't give a fuck if I get banned from Disney and I'm essentially collection proof.
>>
>>71718510

Oh, right, Jonathan. Yeah, I used to hang out with him all the time. Gave me rides home. That's him in the graduation pic next to me.

>>71717094

Yup, that was our group, TCC cast.
>>
>>71718650
Yeah, but they were constantly worried about the project getting shut down which Disney could have done if they wanted.
The issue was it was already in post production by the time they were aware of it and thought it would be better to ignore it then give it attention which would just make it more infamous.

And I know right!
>>71718720
As an artist they'll fuck you up if you think you could be even conceivably infringing on their copyrights.
A woman who owned a daycare was sued a long while back because she had Disney characters plastered on the wall and she had to shut down.
>>71718758
Was there a different Jonathan? The one I'm thinking of had a more full hairline, curly black hair. I think he might have been shorter as well.
>>
>>71718929
The Jonathan I'm thinking of was also Custodial for TTC iirc.
>>
>>71718720

Hm. I'm no lawyer, but I doubt they could do much more than banning. But the real loss would be if they take the footage. So basically you'd have to pretend to be a regular group of tourists and avoid arousing suspicion.

I wandered through Epcot with a friend half drunk once. Shouldn't be too hard, but one slip up and that's it.
>>
>>71718929
I'm an artist. I will specifically make something that infringes on disney or hurts their image as an artistic statement and upload it without profit to a number of torrent sites.

What could they realisticially do? What? I'll never get a job at disney? They can't really sue me if it isn't for profit and even if they did, I don't have any money.

And fuck, I know a guy at harvard law right now. I bet he'd help me with my defense.
>>
>27
>John Carpenter, David Cronenburg, David Lynch
>Michael Bay, JJ Abrams, Sofia Coppola
>Aspiring Writer/Director hoping to complete work on a hopefully official sequel to the movie death bed the bed that eats
>>
>>71718968

No, that's Joseph you're talking about. Really nice guy. Great with guests, far better than I was. But he was termed after all that girl drama.
>>
>>71719042
>But the real loss would be if they take the footage
I don't think they can legally take or even search your camera or SD cards because I know that not even police can do that. Just refuse and have them escort you out of the park.
>>
>18
>Tarkovsky, Nikita Mikhalkov, Kurosawa
>Hitchcock, Tim Burton, Roland Emmerich
I'm not entering the film industry because I want to make money.
>>
This thread got pretty derailed, haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
>>
>>71719152
Damn, I never expected him to pull like that!
I guess most people didn't expect I would either though haha.
>>
>>71719280
What the fuck is up with Hitchcock hate, seriously, what the fuck, are you people mad?
>>
>>71719480
I understand why people like him, I just find all of his films annoying to me
>>
>>71719480
I don't have any interest in hitchock. All of his movies seem overly artificial. I honestly think Bergman was right when he called Hitchcock infantile.

I hate De Palma much more though. If Hitchcock is infantile, De Palma is prenatal.
>>
>>71719984
Is Bergman worth getting into? I've seen Wild Strawberries, but I didn't enjoy it.
>>
>>71720169
>Is Bergman worth getting into?
Yes.

There's no way to really force it though. Persona really probably is one of the boldest and best films ever made. Shame and Hour of the Wolf are probably more accessible.
>>
>>71720169
Nope, not really
>>
>>71711028
>can't like Kiarostami anymore without being accused of being a bandwagoner
I want off this ride
Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.