[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Episode VII
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11
File: Episode VII.jpg (528 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
Episode VII.jpg
528 KB, 1536x864
Let's talk about why The Force Awakens is about to become the highest grossing film of all-time.

>shattered every single pre-sale record for movie tickets by 8x, far more than Jurassic World
>The most watched film trailer of all-time on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE
>Has now become one of the largest Disney franchises, has the full backing of Disney and Google's marketing power to back the film.
>previous highest grossing films of all-time were December 18-19 releases, but didn't have nearly this much interest in the films prior to release.
>Constantly referred to by news publications and journals as "The most anticipated film of all-time."
>China has finally lifted their ban on Star Wars the communist government had in place for decades. Chinese people have had a chance to see the prequels and OT in theater and gave the OT a lot of critical acclaim.
>This is consequently, the first time the people of China will be able to go out and see Star Wars around the same time the rest of the world gets to see it. Disney did a huge promo event placing stormtroopers along the Great Wall. Despite faring well in Korea and Japan, Star Wars never had a chance in China due to the ban.
>Almost all box office economists have predicted it will definitely break the opening weekend record, make roughly $209m domesticate on opening.
>theaters planning 24 hour weekends, early release parties, special viewing times at odd hours just for The Force Awakens.
>Disney has contracted to rent out every single IMAX theater in America, first contract of its kind.
>Star Wars succeeded in the 70s by appealing to an audience that had just left the Vietnam War and wanted something to believe in. Episode VII appeals to a more global audience that has gone to war with terrorists and extremists for the last decade, and will recognize many of the fundamentalists evils that plague society (ISIS, Jihadists) represented allegorically through The First Order and The Knights of Ren.
>>
File: kylo ren.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kylo ren.jpg
70 KB, 1280x720
>The film is already predicted to stay in theaters for an extremely long time, as many fans will watch the film multiple times in theater, large families will want to see the film together, people really want to see a new Star Wars; this is a trait of box office record breakers as the opening weekend alone isn't what makes a "highest grossing film of all-time"

>Sixteen years ago, The Phantom Menace took $924 million at the global box office, which becomes $1.3 billion when adjusted for inflation. It did so after a $105 million domestic opening (which included Wednesday and Thursday screenings, but most of those viewers would’ve shown up on the weekend instead anyway). So this Star Wars chapter earned an 4.5 multiplier. And it managed that cume despite a lack of 3D and IMAX premium ticket pricing, and with far fewer screens worldwide compared to today. Accounting for 3D, IMAX pricing, and global theater increases, The Phantom Menace‘s tally would rise to about $1.7 billion.

>If the least-popular Star Wars film in history still managed to make enough that it would dwarf Jurassic World, then it’s reasonable to think a new film bringing back the original cast can at least match that box office performance. This is particularly true since Star Wars: The Force Awakens faces little in the way of serious competition at the box office for quite a while, one of the big benefits of opening in December (a key reason why Disney-Lucasfilm chose this date in the first place, of course).
>>
Nuh uh

Muh nigger
>>
>>63029338
It's going to be really embarrassing when, despite all this marketing garbage that you've spewed here, it doesn't even manage to out-gross Titanic

Daily reminder that star wars fanboys thought TPM would outgross Titanic in 1999, yet it only made half of Titanic's gross
>>
File: finn 02.png (1 MB, 662x860) Image search: [Google]
finn 02.png
1 MB, 662x860
>>63029353
>the most watched film of all-time stars a black man as the main character.

Makes sense to be quite honest. People are tired of seeing whiteys in everything, especially in this day and age.
>>
James "King of the World" Cukeron on suicide watch
>>
>>63029338
>>shattered every single pre-sale record for movie tickets by 8x, far more than Jurassic World

$50 million and most are on ebay and craigslist, and aren't selling.

You really need to stop banding this about. It's laughable if you know anything about it.
>>
>>63029338
>make star wars a clone of the hunger games
>people are tired of the hunger games and latest movie flops
>shills still believe that TFA will make money
>>
File: Heroes.png (354 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
Heroes.png
354 KB, 500x383
Where the haters at?
>>
>>63029338
>Let's talk about
Do people say this in real life? When you're sitting with friends, does someone suddenly dictate the subject of discussion and then just plow on for a while before awaiting your response?
>>
File: star_wars_the_force_awakens.jpg (692 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_the_force_awakens.jpg
692 KB, 1920x1080
I'm seeing it for these characters. I couldn't give less of a shit about the dindu or the bitch.

Just let me see the Empire imposing order.
>>
>>63029438
8x is bullshit too. Harry Potter 7 made only $15m less than TFA has in preorders; $35m to $50m. It's all marketing bullshit to make you believe this movie is actually going to do well.
>>
File: the force awakens.jpg (2 MB, 4608x3072) Image search: [Google]
the force awakens.jpg
2 MB, 4608x3072
>>63029397
Random dino movie nearly broke both records this year alone, and that movie didn't even have a fraction of the hype that the force awakens has. this is the sequel to a 30 year old film series that's become part of the global unconsciousness. the phantom menace happened to be one of the most universally despised films of all time; considering the fact that everybody hates it it's pretty impressive it even managed to make as much as it did. Force Awakens has already been said to be the best Star Wars.

people are honestly going to forget who james cameron is. i don't think avatar 2 and 3 are even going to be relevant to people in a world where there's a new star wars and marvel film coming out every year.

there are three reasons why Avatar succeeded, all of which The Force Awakens has more of or does better.

1. The first truly good use of IMAX 3D effects: this meant the price point for tickets was higher than most films and more people kept hearing about how good 3D looked in Avatar. Remember, this is before the Avengers and every other blockbuster was always 3D. Of course, The Force Awakens is an IMAX 3D film that also has the largest IMAX theater contract in history, so this doesn't really matter anymore.

2. Stayed in the box office for a long ass time. Again, Disney had made sure the movie is in IMAX for at least 1 month (possibly longer). Also films like this released in December are designed to be in the box office for a very long time, so Star Wars will be in theaters as long or longer than Avatar.

3. Wasn't banned in China. It's impossible to predict what would have happened if the previous Star Wars films weren't all banned in China for decades, but it's easy to imagine they would have raked in a shitload more money than they already did.

Considering people actually know the names of Star Wars characters (literally who can remember any of the characters from Avatar?), I'm pretty much sure it's going to top both Titanic and Avatar out easily.
>>
>>63029569
>>Random dino movie nearly broke both records this year alone

What? It grossed like $1.3b less than Avatar, you delusional shill. How is that even close?
>>
>>63029438

fuck scalpers

I hope that faggot gets stuck with 20 tickets and hast to watch this shit over and over until he blows his brains out
>>
>>63029438
The word you're looking for is "bandying"
>>
>>63029581
it's the third highest grossing film of all-time and it's some random movie about dinos that came out this year

the force awakens is universally regarded as the most anticipated film of all time, has shattered every presale record a month before the movie has even come out, the sequel to a 30 year old franchise that's considered one of the most recognizable series of all time. jurassic world didn't even have the most watched film trailer of all-time, nor did it shatter presale records. plus they knew this was not a film that was going to have legs, it was a summer release. The Force Awakens might be in theaters for the majority of 2016. Again, Avatar only made money because it was the first good use of 3D, definitely not going to be a selling point for Avatar 2 and 3 so Cameron is going to have to have something else up his sleeve if he wants these movies to matter to anyone. Given the Force Awakens already has this on top of far more hype and demand around it compared to Avatar, I don't see Avatar's record lasting to the end of 2016.

>>63029438
>some guy trying to sell force awakens tickets for $50 has a hard time selling them.

no shit. the theaters aren't having any problems at all selling tickets, given that it's repeatedly crashed their websites trying to meet the demand.
>>
>>63029400
20XX?
>>
disney marketers going full shill
>>
File: 1425778835415-3.jpg (90 KB, 739x742) Image search: [Google]
1425778835415-3.jpg
90 KB, 739x742
>>63029338
>the force awakens is universally regarded as the most anticipated film of all time

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>63029679
The websites keep crashing because scalpers keep trying to buy every ticket to every showing with scripts so they can put them on ebay/craigslist.

The fact they're having trouble selling, at any price, indicates low demand.
>>
Are you getting paid to post this shit? Why do you care so much? Wtf
>>
>>63029726
this is repeatedly what every news publication refers to the film as, because it is.

>>63029737
>this is actually how Cameronfags try to justify to themselves that people won't watch literally the most anticipated film of all-time.

It's pretty funny how deluded you guys are. Have you guys walked outside anytime in the past year? There's literally Star Wars shit everywhere. Wearing Star Wars clothes has become cool again. Kids are demanding Kylo Ren for Christmas and they don't even know what the fucking guy does, they just happened to watch the most watched film trailer of all-time with their friends. The reason the sites crashed is because millions of people all logged into Fandango and other sites at once, the scalpers are there but they're pretty small and insignificant compared to the swathes of neckbeards and fanatics who will rush to see the movie multiple times in the first few weeks (as is the case with every Star Wars).
>>
>>63029338

>with terrorists and extremists for the last decade, and will recognize many of the fundamentalists evils that plague society (ISIS, Jihadists) represented allegorically through The First Order and The Knights of Ren.

so why do they look like a bunch of Nazi's?
>>
>>63029338
Only read your first line to know how fucking delusional you are. it will not outgross Jurassic World. It has an autistic fanbase that HAS to see it on the first possible screening, thus the large presales. The highest grossing movie is episode 1, which made 1.2. The next highest is episode 3 at 848 million. This will make more than a billion most likely, but not beat JW.
>>
>>63029815
>every news publication
Show me 5
>>
File: lol.webm (1015 KB, 396x800) Image search: [Google]
lol.webm
1015 KB, 396x800
>>63029866
>it will not outgross Jurassic World.

holy fuck that made my morning. thank you.

It's basically the most beloved franchise in all of American film, the prequels didn't sell as much in comparison because this was before the age of IMAX 3D, every JW ticket sale is like 2-3 times as much as Episode 1-3 tickets based on inflation and IMAX 3D. also the prequels suck ass and everybody knew it. When your consider this movie will definitely have more viewers than JW, it will definitely gross more than it, especially considering the majority of ticket sales will be IMAX or 3D with the Disney contract.

>>63029927
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/11/24/star-wars-force-awakens-movie-fallon-kimmel-saturday-night-live-punchlines/76305188/

http://nypost.com/2015/11/24/star-wars-expected-to-sell-most-movie-tie-in-products-ever/

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/6133468-in-brief-most-anticipated-star-wars-ever-adele-sets-sales-record/

http://news.asiaone.com/news/showbiz/star-wars-fans-queue-24-hrs-tickets-imax-premiere

http://deadline.com/2015/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-opening-estimate-1201636913/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/11/24/box-office-star-wars-the-force-awakens-on-track-for-huge-possibly-record-breaking-opening/

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/cool-videos-hollywood-gets-excited-about-the-force-awakens-trailer-324

http://www.record-eagle.com/news/lifestyles/troy-reimink-star-wars-excitement-awakens-familiar-force/article_e7c5edc5-a0de-55a6-8499-3f9cf28d4148.html

http://financialspots.com/2015/10/27/star-wars-awakens-excitement-and-controversy/
>>
File: le god face.jpg (92 KB, 588x430) Image search: [Google]
le god face.jpg
92 KB, 588x430
>>63029338
>Yes..i hear you all...i hear you down there,talking shit. i listen and chuckle, to your anger and bitterness echoing from below. such intense rage yet so minute and insignificant...so distant. the hum of grandiose declarations, supported only by delusions of mere mortals. one after another they have crawled before the golden gates of the 2 billion mark. barely standing up,bloody and tearful, trying to grasp it with thier gaze, realizing they will never pass through. they gave thier absolute best, but never reached thier destination. cursing my name as they are being cemented for eternity to thier pitiful position. but i forgave the blasphemy, disregarded thier envy, while i sit on the throne, ever so confident in my divine right as the Emperor Director. yet i still wish for a worthy contender, for a noble spirit to clash swords with. it is indeed, lonely at the top...
>>
>>63030035
>It's basically the most beloved franchise in all of American film

It was, before the prequels, before lucas started wiping his ass with the OT and destroying the originals.

All that's left is a sort of "collector culture" surrounding it. Where people buy shit because they think it'll be worth something later.
>>
I absolutely cannot wait for it to come out and suck massive ass.

While making truckloads of money.
>>
>>63029866
accounting for inflation, star wars made 3 billion on it's own. Which is more than the entire prequel trilogy. Which is still third place behind avatar and titanic.
>>
Why does some faggot keep spamming about how the new star gate flick is going to be the highest grossing flick?

No one did that when Avatar was about to release.

Why do some nerd in his home feel like they have to think in the position of some jewish account in the Disney headquarters?
>>
>>63030259
more likely its paid marketing
>>
>>63030259
>No one did that when Avatar was about to release.

You're that new? You don't remember a certain Russian lad who shall remain nameless? He was posting his autism way before the premiere of the movie.
>>
>>63029400
>>63029692
>black guy as main character
I still don't think he's a jedi. The plot has something to do with Luke's lightsaber and I think he's just carrying it around with him and uses it sort of how Han Solo did in Empire; not really knowing what the fuck he's doing with it.
>>
>>63029815
>Kids are demanding Kylo Ren for Christmas and they don't even know what the fucking guy does
He looks cool. I bought the 3.75'' action figure and it's dope as heck.
>>
>>63029815
>kids are demanding toys

if you told me some star wars phone app was selling like mad, I'd believe that. But kids? Toys? today? What?
>>
File: image.png (342 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
342 KB, 2048x1536
>go to buy tickets
>pick theater
>see seats that have been reserved
>get freaked out because it looks like killers have reserved seats in the corners so they can have wide vantage points for when they shoot up the auditorium

I'm gonna have to see this shit two weeks after release.
>>
>>63031033
nah, those are just scalpers. No one would buy those tickets anyway.
>>
>>63031147
Why would scalpers buy tickets there when a bunch of middle seats are literally open
>>
>>63031187
The same scalper bought all six, hes going to sell the far left and far right as if they're the middle.
>>
>>63029569
>same exact shill from yesterday
I hope you're at least getting paid. Because otherwise you're janitor tier
>>
>>63031033

>select 2 seats

did you bought 2 seats or you can't buy one?
>>
>>63031537
Most shills are interns. He does it for free.
He's literally janitor tier.
>>
>>63029338
>shattered every single pre-sale record for movie tickets by 8x, far more than Jurassic World

No. It sold 8x more in presales than the previous record holder, The Hunger Games (2012), on the first day only, on one site (Fandango). This is largely due to scalpers and the legions of manchildren who religiously worship the franchise. Overall, it has only made just over $50m in box office presales in the USA. For comparison, the last Harry Potter movie made $43.5m in presales domestically prior to its release. This is coming from a film franchise that is much stronger overseas than it is domestically (DH2 made 28% of its gross domestically). On the other hand, Star Wars is an extremely domestically-loaded franchise (most star wars movies make around 55% of their gross domestically, to compare), so the fact that TFA has only made a few million more in presales than DH2 in the US is not impressive at all.

DH2 was a very high-grossing movie ($1.3b worldwide), but despite the extremely high presales, it didn't come close to Avatar or Titanic's record. In fact, it made less than half of Avatar's gross and, inflation-adjusted, it made less than half of Titanic's gross too. This shows that presales mean mostly nothing to the final gross of a movie.
>>
>>63031603
You can buy one. They just assume that you're buying multiple seats I guess.
>>
>>63031773
As an added note, Mockingjay Part 1 doubled the first-day presales of Catching Fire on MovieTickets, yet only grossed $755m to Catching Fire's $864m. Presales are meaningless, and first-day presales even more so.
>>
>>63031603
I had clicked to reserve 2 seats. Be calm NEETbro, you can buy a ticket for yourself alone, the no singles policy isn't real.
>>
>>63031217
Doesn't make sense. Why intentionally scam people with shitty seats when a bunch of middle rows are open. This is a 12:30 pm showing on a Friday what's the point.

I'm convinced it's a planned shooting
>>
>>63029338
just kek my shit up, senpai.
>>
>>63032171
>why intentionally scam people
because that's what scalping is.
>>
>>63029397
>We're never going to beat Titanic, noone can
-George Lucas 1999
>>
Jar Jar's behind it all

>jar jar is a key to all of this
-George Lucas
>>
>>63033038
Agreed
>>
Star Wars was the highest grossing film of all-time when it was first released. The Force Awakens will repeat this event.
>>
>>63029338

I can't wait for this movie to underperform because Chinese audiences don't want to watch a nigger
>>
>>63034237
The difference between the releases of TPM and TFA compared to the original star wars is that James Cameron wasn't releasing films when the original star wars was released.
>>
>>63029569
Star Wars: The Forced Diversity
>>
This movie looks like a soulless cash grab, sorry marketer, not interested

Let me know when the rip is available
>>
>>63035562
>This movie looks like a soulless cash grab
Just like capeshit
>>
>>63035562
It's definitely a cash grab but I think JJ brings just enough passion to the project to bring it up from soulless to merely insulting
>>
1. It won't even beat Jurassic World let alone Titanic and Avatar.

2. Black lead cast member will hurt, not help (not racist, just facts)

3. The movie looks like a rehash. It will get the Spectre "good to below average" word of mouth which will hurt the box office.

4. December is a bad month for this kind of movie. All other Stars Wars and Avengers films are released in May for a reason.
>>
File: 1447197597359.jpg (131 KB, 485x458) Image search: [Google]
1447197597359.jpg
131 KB, 485x458
>>63035879
>It won't even beat Jurassic World
>>
>>63035879
it's already poised to annihilate jurassic world by all economists. whether it will top avatar and titanic depends on how long they keep it in theaters
>>
>>63029338
Lets just vote on it.
>http://strawpoll.me/6100692
http://strawpoll.me/6100692
http://strawpoll.me/6100692
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.