[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Camera operators out there? Any tips for someone just starting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: darrion.jpg (9 KB, 318x158) Image search: [Google]
darrion.jpg
9 KB, 318x158
Any Camera operators out there? Any tips for someone just starting out?
Advice on good equipment?
Job stories.
>>
>>62968947
Just buy a cheap shitty one untill you know you wont give up after the first try
>>
>>62969000
well i already have a job as an operator for a rather large webshow. I just want to invest in some equipment and get more practice in.
>>
>>62969039
You're literally just the camera op? There's honestly not much to the job. >Make sure to use good lighting (if someone's not I'm charge of that)
>make sure it's properly exposed
>make sure it's in focus
>Frame the subject properly. Google headroom
Any other questions you have, just go to /p/. They always have one video thread going at a time that talks about gearfaggotry. Also, try not to obsess about gear like some people do, just focus on getting the job done well.
>>
File: tripod3.jpg (79 KB, 588x447) Image search: [Google]
tripod3.jpg
79 KB, 588x447
Seriously buy a used dslr and saved for optics . Or this thing pic related. Don't remember the name.

Optics are for forever so chose carefully your mount and the focal.
>>
Frack, wrong thread.

Sry, continue.
>>
>>62968947
If you have 20-30k in your pocket, buy an red epic and some gear and you are good to go almost everywhere to do professional "video". Or buy dslr/gh4 or something in that pricerange from sony..
>>
>>62968947
I've used pic related. It's pretty good if you have at least $15k to burn on equipment and are filming a production.
If you're doing a more straightforward talking head kind of show (like RLM does), I would just use a more TV style camera with a built-in lens and autofocus. A canon XA-25 would do just fine.
>>
Does this thread mean Doug walkers quality will improve
>>
>>62969527
This. Most of the students I saw come in right before I graduated film school already had their own DSLRs that they filmed everything with. It was faster and easier than renting out the school's cameras. Unless you're filming continuously for hours straight, you won't need much of a workhorse camera. Just record in 15-30 minute bursts and focus on buying lenses.

Other than that, use a focus card for focus/white balancing, never use auto settings, and don't get in the director or DP's way.

Also, worrying less on the lenses and more on interesting technique if it's a low budget film session. Only go for the high-budget optics if the production can afford a little extra for ya'.
>>
>>62968947
>advice on good equipment

Rent it.

If you really have to buy a camera, the only ones worth it on a budget are the Sony A6000 (or A7000) or Sony A7s
>>
>>62971986
>Also, worrying less on the lenses and more on interesting technique if it's a low budget film session.

This.
If you have no/low money, it's a good idea to think of a style that can be achieved with what you have. You might create something recognizable.

There is a reason Hollywood movies look the way they do. Because they have a multi-million dollar budget.
Don't try to emulate something you couldn't possibly achieve.
>>
>>62968947
just get a red dragon, they're pretty cheap.
>>
>>62972779
>There is a reason Hollywood movies look the way they do. Because they have a multi-million dollar budget.
>Don't try to emulate something you couldn't possibly achieve.

Thanks, I needed to hear that. Not OP, just lurking.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.