[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Person of Interest: Return 0 edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13
So what are your thoughts about the last episode of Person of Interest?
>>
saw the spoilers 2 weeks ago and yet it still made me sad, can't hold all these feels

F
>>
Overall this season feels like wasted potential (fuck CBS so much), but ending on this note makes up for it.

I feel that they sacrificed a lot of verisimilitude in favor of drama, symbolism and emotions, and it absolutely payed off. The rooftop scene is the best of the series, not necessarily in terms of action but in playing with your heartstrings.

I liked John, he was my favorite character along with Harold and Elias. I don't cry much, and I hadn't cried at a fictional story in about ten years, but I cried at this.

I could obsess over what Season 5 could have been if not for CBS (a longer Elias arc for one, and less pointless number of the week episodes), and I admit that narratively, it could have been more satisfying. But emotionally, I couldn't have asked for more.
>>
Felt like the Samaritan vs Machine was severely underplayed for the finale but it was any finale that wasn't garbage is absolutely fine for me.

Now im all out of sci fi shows
>>
>>71131911

Loved it, but I'm so sad to see it go.
>>
>>71131911
A full season would have been better.

CBS are shit.
>>
>>71136139

>no final Zoe episode
>>
>>71132822
>Elias
That fat fuck was out of place when they first introduced him, a completely useless character for the majority of four seasons, and just when you think he's finally going to become relevant when they tell him about the AIs he just fucking dies.
>>
>>71131911
Haven't seen it yet, but spoiled myself ages ago.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F-l1pZqrwE

Why does this make my cry?
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 1200x720
>Am I speaking to you now, or is this one of my memories?
I don't know why, but I'm getting Memories of A Broken Dimension vibe from that.
>>
I blame CBS for most of the problems with S5. The creative team just had to play the hand dealt to them and did a splendid job with what they had.
>>
>>71139604
>splendid
Debatable.
>>
>>71140434
Given that CBS aired episodes out of order, slashed their produced episode amount, and still made them do person of the week episodes in the final season, I think they made the best of a bad situation. We can agree to disagree.
>>
F
>>
>all this pixel sorting vfx
>>
>>71131911
the finale wasnt that good but the overal show was great

I will surely miss it
>>
>>71131911

It wasn't stellar, but neither was Justified's and I consider both my favourite shows
>>
how did this shit get cancelled

best cbs show by far
>>
cried like a bitch
>>
File: lts.jpg (79 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
lts.jpg
79 KB, 1366x768
I'd say the finale was easily one of the best episodes
>>
So this was pretty meh. Everything was pointless. And there's going to be PoI: DC.
I don't like what they did with Shaw's character over the course of the last couple of eps, Reese could have used a longer cable and gotten some cover at least from one side, Finch should have died from shock 10 times over.
It just didn't satisfy me.
Meh.
>>
>>71141925
>And there's going to be PoI: DC.
what
>>
>>71142489
>second team in last ep
>TM rebooted in the finale
>Shaw continues to get numbers
You know it's true
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-22-13h14m41s670.png (593 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-22-13h14m41s670.png
593 KB, 1280x720
KINO
I
N
O
>>
Could have been better, but it was a great ending with some very good shots.
How did this show manage to go from mhe to interesting to holy shit I am actually in tears for a character is beyond me. Best Nolan confirmed for Best.
>>
>>71131911
It wasn't what most people were expecting, but it was one of the only times TV made me cry. When Reese appears on the rooftop of the other building, even though it was obvious that it was going to happen, I couldn't hold back tears. Same when he was shot repeatedly. Very emotional finale and one of the best I've ever watched, if only because I was deeply invested in the characters.

This show in general was better than it had any right to be. I remember watching the first eps on a friend's recommendation and thinking this was going to be a good time-waster procedural... Boy didn't I know I was going to see some of the best TV in my whole life as the seasons went on. RIP Person of Interest, you've more than earned it.
>>
>>71132822
>(fuck CBS so much)
>>71136139
>CBS are shit.

I love this show and I loved that it gradually picked up a main story while starting out as a procedural.

BUT, someone made a good point that the show creators pitched POI to CBS as a show to join their procedural lineup, and CBS was expecting that (a procedural). That the show's creators basically pulled a bait and switch on CBS, which led to the cancellation. If that's what happened, you can't blame CBS too much, they didn't get what they were expecting, and you can't really expect people who think in terms of the cold math of ratings to appreciate the story POI was weaving.

That said, it was still a great show. It would have been nice if they came to a compromise such as having the overall story move at a slower pace to keep the standalone procedural eps coming (as long as they were good quality), and the show could have gone on for longer. Or if it had just ended up on a network that embraced a serial storyline in the first place.
>>
>>71146394
they cancelled it because WB owns the rights and not them

they did the same with The Mentalist
>>
Someone spoiler it all for me. I work a hectic schedule and didnt realize the haphazard release this season would have so I only saw a few eps.
>>
>>71146589
Watch it yourself, you lazy fuck.
>>
>>71146589
Samaritan kills Elias and Root

Harold decides to kill Samaritan and with the Machine's help manages to limp into the NSA and infect it with a virus (also Greer dies stupidly on his own)

Samaritan's backup runs away and they go after it and kill it but John is killed with a cruise missile.

Finch goes to France to be reunited with his girlfriend, Shaw is fine and keeps getting numbers (she gets the dog), Fusco is fine.
>>
>>71146445

ahh ok. thank you for the info.
>>
>>71140502
When you consider all the pieces they had but didn't get to play (Elias did basically nothing, John's CIA boss was introduced but never showed up again even though it felt like he would, etc.) and how rushed it was, but then look at all the pointless number of the week episodes (along with the reduced episode order), I think all the blame can be placed on CBS.

>>71140434
I get what you mean, because narratively the last season had a lot of flaws (for example, why didn't Harold hide in the metro station in which they already hid Shaw, Root and the Machine when their cover was blown)

The thing is, considering how much CBS fucked with them, I really don't think they would ever have been able to resolve it correctly, so they decided to ditch the verisimilitude in favor of drama, and IMO it ended up being a good choice.
>>
>>71138978
>9402577
What does that mean? Surely you can't call the phone you're calling from, can you?
>>
File: JohnDiesPoster_620_103112.jpg (115 KB, 620x538) Image search: [Google]
JohnDiesPoster_620_103112.jpg
115 KB, 620x538
>>71131911
Only the sub plot about 2 cops gave me actuall feels, everything else was meh.
>>
>machine never wins once in the simulation
>somehow beat samartian
>>
>>71149663
Most phone systems have a call back feature to test the line.
>>
>>71149894

that root voice gave her the edge this time around. she spoke soothingly to it.
>>
>>71149894
Too much balls dropped this season.
>>
>>71150198
Yeah but they do explain this one (Harold activates Root's command to unshackle her)

It makes sense to me really, the Machine was always better than Samaritan but prevented from reaching her true potential.
>>
I was kinda disappointed by the finale to be honest, the show has just felt like it was going through the motions at the end, which is something I often find with finales, but this one in particular felt kinda lacking to me.

It seemed strange to me how, at no moment did anyone not know what they should do, I'm not sure I can articulate my problem with that adequately. Obviously all the key players have plans in mind for the end game, but I would have hoped for them to be put in a scenario where their plans don't apply and they have to come up with something out of desperation. These characters, especially Reese, Shaw and Root, are all cool under pressure anyway, so you'd hope for a scene with them doubly under pressure to really provide some tension, but it didn't really happen.

The episode with Harold as the number and Root's death felt like it had more tension and emotive heft to it than the finale to me.

I don't know, the whole thing felt kinda rushed. They should have dedicated more episodes to the end game. The narrative thrust of the final season should have been that some looming threat was coming. Instead it was:
>they reached what appeared to be their lowest moment (the almost death of the Machine at the end of season 4)
>they fixed it reasonably easily
>business as usual for not that many episodes
>and then the end just sort of happens, it didn't seem like it was really instigated by anything
It felt like they only half-heartedly went back to the "number of the week" format, only to quickly abandon it, they should have just given up on it from the outset of the season so it could have been more tightly written. And I mean, there was the mini-Machine vs mini-Samaritan simulation going on over a series of episodes, but I would say the plot last season where Samaritan was figuring out Shaw's cover was more exciting. Felt like more of a threat.

Damn, I ran out of words. This has been a rambling post.
>>
>>71150819 (cont)
Now that I think about it, I'm annoyed how Shaw's escape from Samaritan HQ served no purpose. You'd think she would learn something crucial like a weakness of Samaritan's while she was there, escape, and relay that info to Team machine and THAT would be what instigates the beginning of the end. Instead the end just kinda happened because it was time for the show to end.

I forgot to mention I was also bothered by the scene at the federal reserve - just walking in and saying his suitcase is a bomb seemed way to easy. It felt unrealistic that the Machine would be able to open the vault door. How did the Machine get John out of the vault? How did Harold (and John) just walk out without difficulty? Surely the building would have been surrounded...? So much of that scene didn't make sense.

Also the way the episode wasn't entirely linear felt like a half-assed attempt to add intrigue rather than totally necessary.

In the end, I accept they were dealt a bad hand with the shortened season, I understand that's probably the cause of the shortcomings I see in it, but I can't deny it's still been a bit disappointing.
>>
>>71150819
>but I would have hoped for them to be put in a scenario where their plans don't apply and they have to come up with something out of desperation
That happened though, the Samaritan backup wasn't expected and that's why John and The Machine (to a lesser extent) died.

>I don't know, the whole thing felt kinda rushed
Agreed, but they probably expected to have at least 10 more episodes to wrap things up with
>>
>>71150890
>I understand that's probably the cause of the shortcomings I see in it
Oh it's worse than that. On top of cutting down the number of episodes they had to conclude (which they probably could have worked with), CBS forced them to have number of the week episodes. Actually, shortly after it was announced that the final season would only have 13 episodes, Plageman said S5 was going to be an intense ride from start to finish, implying none of that pointless shit.

Overall I'd say that while the series doesn't end very satisfyingly on the narrative side of things (too many plotholes), I think they knew they were not going to be able to do that and instead went with a dramatic finale, which paid off, in my opinion.
>>
so does the machine need setting up against going by the screen when it was downloading?
>>
>>71153173
The recorded message we heard in the series opening and finale was the old machine briefing the duplicate machine on its mission, it called Shaw because it had started working again, and it beeped before it started talking so we know it's the old one as its back to

>can YOu HeAR mE? BOOOP
>>
>>71153346
>it's the old one
old voice, new machine

It's been a long night, and the finale has drained me
>>
>>71153382
>there will never again be an episode where Finch & co discover machine found a way around the wipe by literally dumping the entire memory onto paper and paying people to type it back in after midnight
Those were the days.
>>
why did he die?????????

im gonna cry now ;_;
>>
>>71147052
>Finch goes to France to be reunited with his girlfriend
I keep on seeing people say the Finch reunites with Grace in France, but wasn't she in Italy?
>>
>>71154010
>John gets shot and hit by a cruise missile
>People think he's really dead
You're going to end up like Mark Snow m8
>>
>>71153346
We hear the "BOOP" but not the voice. According to the EPs, Shaw's smiling at the end because the Machine is still using Root's voice.
>>
File: 1466497685017.jpg (96 KB, 930x523) Image search: [Google]
1466497685017.jpg
96 KB, 930x523
F
>>
>>71132822
DUDE YOU NEED TO STOP REUSING THAT WORD

https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/verisimilitude/

I saw you use that vernacular in the other thread too.

Its still easy to spot sameposters in 2016.
>>
>>71154174
Isn't Italy the capital of France, in Europe which is part of England? That's what they teach us Americans in school. Stop nitpicking, you stupid spic.
>>
>>71154682
>Its still easy to spot sameposters in 2016.
I really don't give a shit though.
>>
>>71134484
There's always 12 Monkeys. :^)
>>
File: asi.infection.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
asi.infection.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>71149894
>>71149989
>>71150198
>>71150317
You don't understand, Samaritan let itself be infected.

The "infection" was basically the merger that Samaritan wanted in the first place, which Greer conveys shortly before his sacrifice.

The new Machine isn't the same Machine that Harold made. It's the lovechild of Samaritan and the Machine.

You just basically watched the End of Evangelion in live action. Even complete with its own piano soundtrack piece a la Komm Susser Todd. Samaritan was Gendo being chomped in half by the Machine's Eva Unit 01. And he goes out smiling.
>>
I cried like a little bitch when John appeared on the other rooftop, I already was expecting him to die thanks to leafposters but it still hit me like a truck.
>>
>>71156157
Fuck.
>>
>>71156232
I'm glad I avoided this place for the last three weeks, I completely missed the spoilers.

The rooftop scene was really good. Caviezel did a really good job. I like how you see glimpses of how he used to be before he joined the CIA.
>>
>>71156157
Didn't we see a text telling that Samaritan was destroyed?
Don't remember seeing something showing a merge betwen the two ia.
>>
>>71156157
>You just basically watched the End of Evangelion in live action.
Complete with ghost Root watching you die while standing over you.
>>
>>71156761
>Didn't we see a text telling that Samaritan was destroyed?
Didn't see one. The webm is the last mention or sighting of Samaritan, then the "duplicate system" downloads itself from the satellite.

On a side note, I never really truly appreciated the obvious black and white juxtaposition between the Machine and Samaritan they had going until the infection scene. Also suddenly the glitchy Harold+Greer intro sequences for the whole season make 100% sense now.
>>
File: end.of.evangelion.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
end.of.evangelion.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>71156932
>Complete with ghost Root watching you die while standing over you.
>>
File: just ... no.gif (424 KB, 119x152) Image search: [Google]
just ... no.gif
424 KB, 119x152
>>71156157
Dumb weebposter headcanon. No, sorry, you're wrong.

Also I hope to god you're not referring to the piano piece that was featured predominantly in the episode to that weebshit either. It's fucking Philip Glass, you uneducated pleb.

It's literally just the Machine decimating Samaritan, taking its place, and finally downloading back home to the tunnel at the end, and recollecting its voice and memories and starting a new, albeit, a copy/clone of the previous Machine. Like others said, it came full circle, and alluded to the motif of the meaning of life.

If Root/Machine's voice wasn't forgotten, if Shaw wasn't forgotten, then no one truly "died". It was simply the Machine's rebirth.

I'm still mad you're comparing that nonsensical weebshit to POI and Philip Glass.
>>
>>71156932
That made me think of EoE too
>>
>those old numbers come back
>haha just for the end of one episode

Why
>>
please post that Root shooting webm
>>
>>71156157
Man this bit was really cool. Always loved parts like this, and how some of the intros were all glitchy and shit.
>>
>>71156157
You're talking about End of Evangelion, but that webm reminds me of the sort of stuff you'd see in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
>>
>>71161495
it was just plebservice plus a spinoff hook
>>
>>71162528
I'm not going to watch a shitty spinoff if they decide to make one.
>>
>>71156232
He was always the one who was supposed to die.
The Machine said he was on "borrowed time".
His entire thing was that he had nothing else to live for so Finch gave him a cause.
>>
I figured John would probably die.

It still hit me hard though, he was my favorite that I was always rooting for.
>>
>>71131911
how did the agents get into the tunnel? before the take the train

im currently watching it but don't really get it.
>>
>>71139581
holy shit somebody else knows about this game
I'm really really impressed by the concept and also really unsettled
I just hope the dev makes the "enemy" something really fucking abstract and out there that would make it perfect.
>>
>>71163180
they dug out root's cochlear implant
>>
File: No Expanse episodes until 2017.jpg (16 KB, 385x256) Image search: [Google]
No Expanse episodes until 2017.jpg
16 KB, 385x256
>>71131911
I disliked it. It was too heavy handed.

>>71134484
pic
>>
I still don't get why Samaritan was "sooo bad". It was actually doing good, so what if they had to kill a few people? The Machine was a lot worse when the government had it
>>
>>71164923
killing is never good ok
>>
>>71164923
that was the beauty of the show - showing that in real life there are no real heroes or villians
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.