[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is no point in cinemas today. Originally they were the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: electric-cinema-london[1].jpg (143 KB, 900x490) Image search: [Google]
electric-cinema-london[1].jpg
143 KB, 900x490
There is no point in cinemas today. Originally they were the only way you could see a movie, but now the technology has gotten to the point where a very high quality experience can be achieved at home. We only have cinemas today because of inertia and because film companies have not figured out a profit model that works outside of cinemas.

But their days are numbered. Mark my words. Once streaming services get to the point where they can put out high budget films, people will gradually go to the cinema less and less.
>>
People still like to see movies on a big screen and with large sound systems.

Home theaters are probably worse now than they were in the early 2000s despite the technology being so much better, more people have multi-use spaces and less actual dedicated theaters.

A great projector and sound system at home is the way to go, but a lot of people can't afford that.

That said, peoples perception of quality is so degraded now you are probably right and it'll push that way more and more. Netflix just did their first movie. Those types of services will start doing more and that might be a beginning.
>>
>>62943701
unless you're some old fart who lives by himself and has his own house, it is almost impossible to be able to achieve movie theater levels of sound. not to mention the screen. sure if you have a 'screening room' it would be possbile, but projectors are NOT up to snuff compared to cinema projectors. sorry, but your argument is dumb, unless you're a billionaire who can afford your own personal cinema, its not possible to achieve anything close to a real theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0
>>
>>62944137
>>62944031

I'm going to shock you and tell you that most people don't' care that much. A decent sized 1080p display and bluray is "good enough" for most people. Fewer and fewer people are going to the cinema and then wait for the home release.

And displays are just gonna keep getting better. 4K they will start to rival cinema quality.
>>
>>62944137
I fucking love him
>>
File: 1444941795256.png (20 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
1444941795256.png
20 KB, 275x200
>>62944195
It doesn't shock me at all. People are satisfied with shit quality now, it just isn't a priority.

Yeah they'll get 4K TVs because if you are buying a new one pretty hard not too, but the displays still look like shit and they'll never calibrate them. Further they sit to far to even see 4k in the first place, doesn't make a difference on a 60" pleb LCD that is 10ft from the viewer.
>>
>>62944195
>wait for the home release
Hey wait a minute. If piracy is hurting the industry so much, why don't they stop making home videos? People would have to go to the cinema every time they wanted to see a movie, unless they settled for cam rips.
>>
File: effy-sd.jpg (116 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
effy-sd.jpg
116 KB, 1600x900
>>62944344
Because home releases make a lot of money and are part of the ongoing revenue stream? Are you this fucking retarded?
>>
>>62943701

It's already on the decline. That's my theaters shill so hard with their apps, email reminds, Tuesday discount days, matinees etc. they are doing anything they can to get people to shell out money. Many people are content to wait for a movie to come out on DVD, unless it's something they were dying to see.

For what it's worth I dislike theaters, they are disgusting and there's always that one cocksucker who talks.
>>
>>62944430
>fewer people are going to cinema because home release
>home releases make up a large portion of the revenue
Well duh
>>
>>62944137

Yeah but movie theaters are big rooms designed for big sound. You don't need theater sound when you are <5ft from a speaker.
>>
>>62944271
It's not necessarily that people have settled for shit quality, it's that their tv is good enough.
Sure, you won't be able to get the quality you do at the cinema at home, but really, if all you want to see is the latest rom com, does it matter?

Very few films are genuinely good, and take full advantage of everything the cinema experience has to offer.
>>62944430
yeah, that's the joke.jpg
>>
File: cara-wot.jpg (44 KB, 800x414) Image search: [Google]
cara-wot.jpg
44 KB, 800x414
>>62944512
m8 they release them for homes after they are done in the theaters.
>>
>>62943701
Studios don't even depend on theatres that much. Majority of profits come from DVD sales and TV licensing. We'll soon see an unholy alliance between Netflix/Amazon/etc. and the studios and the box office will be relegated to history.
>>
where else am I gonna shower though?
>>
>>62944640
>Majority of profits come from DVD sales
Completely untrue, dvd sales are way down from a decade ago
>>
i enjoy the big screen. i enjoy the social aspect. i enjoy the sound systems many more times powerful than my own. christ i even enjoy seeing the fucking trailers because it's on the big screen.
>>
>>62944630
And people aren't going to see them in theaters because they're waiting for the home release, you dense cunt
>>
>>62944508
>that all too familiar smell of popcorn and farts
Got to admit, it does have its charm though.
>>
File: 1397176959950.jpg (44 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1397176959950.jpg
44 KB, 396x385
>>62944508
>>62944777
>Stacy and Chad start texting on their phone during the movie
>>
>>62944195
>A decent sized 1080p display and bluray is "good enough" for most people.

This.

FUCK theaters, the overpriced garbage they sell, and the obnoxious people that don't know how to behave in public.

I'll never buy another movie ticket or set foot in another theater again.
>>
File: box office gross adjusted.jpg (249 KB, 681x907) Image search: [Google]
box office gross adjusted.jpg
249 KB, 681x907
>>62943701
>Once streaming services get to the point where they can put out high budget films, people will gradually go to the cinema less and less.
> future tense

They're already not going to cinemas as much as they used to.

Avatar was the last movie to click into the top twenty grossing films. Jurrasic World this year only made it to #23 with the first Avengers at #28 and Dark Knight at #30. Shrek 2 is at #34 and Spider-man is at #37.

Most of the big sellers are from the last century.
>>
>>62945341

Which is why they're relying on Chinamen more and more.
>>
>>62944137
>nothing will ever change
Cinema is stil yet to develop beyond an obtuse imitation of theatre.

To pretend that a mere 100 year old medium has reached its maximum aesthetic potential is a concise demonstration of ignorance
>>
>>62943701
Where else am I supposed to get my buttered crab legs?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.