[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thank you based Snyder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 8
File: KINO...jpg (3 MB, 2025x3000) Image search: [Google]
KINO...jpg
3 MB, 2025x3000
Thank you based Snyder
>>
File: zod.jpg (54 KB, 975x555) Image search: [Google]
zod.jpg
54 KB, 975x555
Thank you, Snyder.
>>
File: zack.jpg (113 KB, 500x656) Image search: [Google]
zack.jpg
113 KB, 500x656
>>70741791
>>
File: Snyder - Deconstruction.png (3 MB, 2290x2303) Image search: [Google]
Snyder - Deconstruction.png
3 MB, 2290x2303
>>70741460
Thank you based Snyder.

It occurred to me the other day that, by giving us the origin and death of Superman leading into the Justice League, he's transformed the death of Superman from a largely meaningless comic book event into the sacrifice necessary to elevate a dark, cynical, "realistic" world into a new "Heroic Age." So there's yet another reason the religious imagery isn't meaningless. Viewed from that perspective, Superman isn't real-world Jesus, not "Space Jesus," but he's certainly become "comic book Jesus."

Let's run down all the different ways that "meaningless" symbolism has meaning within the context of the films:

1) It's a visual metaphor for what being Superman is - a guy trying to be a hero when his nature and environment conspire to make him appear god-like.

2) To clue us in that the people in his world are thinking of him as a god, unconsciously deifying him, and providing the answer to Perry's largely rhetorical question: "Do you know how people would react if they knew there was someone like this out there?" Well, here's the answer - when they see walking, talking proof that not only is there extraterrestrial intelligence, but that it's superior to them in almost every conceivable way, they try to turn it into an object of worship - a god.

3) To highlight the dichotomy that exists between perception and reality, an important factor when the discussion turns to magic in the DC universe, and one that's going to become increasingly important, I believe.

4) It serves a metatextual acknowledgement of Superman's place in comic book history. He's the god-like figure that ushered in the age of the superhero the "founder of the religion," as it were, and as depicted in the films, his sacrifice serves to bring Bruce back into the light, so to speak, and to elevate a dark, cynical world into one where heroes can once again live and breathe.

Not bad. all things considered.
>>
File: Superman - Jonathan.jpg (476 KB, 1527x1367) Image search: [Google]
Superman - Jonathan.jpg
476 KB, 1527x1367
From

>>70743027
>>70743046

And a link to a very interesting analysis of MoS. I don't agree with everything this guy says, but he nails a lot of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM
>>
>>70741791
YOU'RE A MONSTER ZOD!
>>
>>70742891
This might be pasta now, but holy fuck it is 100% spot on.
>>
File: 215216216.png (788 KB, 1149x487) Image search: [Google]
215216216.png
788 KB, 1149x487
>>
File: supes_flying.jpg (148 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
supes_flying.jpg
148 KB, 1600x900
>>70743167
I thoroughly enjoyed this.

I'm pretty sure Man of Steel is in my top 5.
>>
File: Superman The Christ.png (3 MB, 2630x860) Image search: [Google]
Superman The Christ.png
3 MB, 2630x860
>>
btw, for the kino funposters out there,
it'd be more apt for you guys to shop snyder on the image of an early church leader
i'll let you guys figure that one out if you can
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.