[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Outcast (2016 TV Series)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: p12711756_b_v8_aa.jpg (246 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p12711756_b_v8_aa.jpg
246 KB, 960x1440
Has anyone else caught this? Just watched the first episode and was pleasantly entertained. It's exactly what I'd want from a Southern Gothic Horror. The creator of it is also the creator of The Walking Dead.

First episode was a solid 7/10. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
>>
>>70568208

> creator of The Walking Dead
> not frank darabont

So all we can really take from that is that the show will have no end game or purpose and will drag on and on until it gets cancelled.
>>
>>70568561

I dropped TWD many seasons ago due to its glacial pace; hopefully this doesn't follow suit. However, the creator of the source material is also running the show, so I'm hoping he's allowed to manifest his vision in a way similar to Darabont while he was running TWD.

I'd encourage you to give the first episode a try if you haven't.
>>
>>70568619

Any good work of art has a purpose and story to tell - not that it needs to be the most profound thing for tv entertainment but it should still be there. It's why things like True Detective and Breaking Bad were great, they clearly had a story in mind - told it and then ended.

TWD just kept existing so long as ratings came in, from season 2 it was obvious there was no point and uninteresting events would just string it along as long as possible.

So with that bad taste in mind I'll wait until the full series has finished and see what people thought.
>>
>>70568778

Agreed on TWD.

FWIW, Outcast (the comic) is ongoing, so there may not be an end in sight in the near future. On the bright side, I find it's easier to appreciate a show if you keep up with it and get to fully absorb an episode a week. Binge-watching has diminishing returns in some ways, i.e. enthusiasm. JMO.
>>
File: 1464698470120.jpg (200 KB, 1242x1221) Image search: [Google]
1464698470120.jpg
200 KB, 1242x1221
>>70568619
>glacial pace
Yes it's much better glossing over any form of character entirely like HBO's Game of Thrones.
>>
>>70570223

I don't watch that, either. What a weird comparison to make.
>>
Ignoring the part where he just started punching the kid in the face, all the possession stuff just felt completely generic/
>>
>>70568208
>southern gothic horror
You have my attention...
>>
I mostly liked it as well. I thought the kid from Almost Famous made for a good lead. The preacher was my favorite character. The only thing I was pretty disappointed in was the whole look of the pilot - especially given that Adam Wingard helmed it. Everything just looked so generic, not even bland and bleak. I'm still in though.
>>
>>70570413
It was more rust belt looking to be honest.
>>
>>70570327

Can you really recreate the wheel when it comes to possessions, though? Also, the demon being familiar with the lead is pretty interesting, no?

>>70570413
>>70570472

My apologies, this anon is correct. Takes place in Western Virginia.

>>70570421

Retro music and neon colors probably aren't a part of the source material, to be fair. I'm hoping Wingard's The Woods will be great, though.
>>
>>70570546
>Retro music and neon colors probably aren't a part of the source material, to be fair. I'm hoping Wingard's The Woods will be great, though.

Haha, yeah, you're right. But it was just disappointing that the end credits were the most Wingardian thing of the episode. I was just really hyped up after I saw his name in the opening credits.
>>
>>70568208
I saw a bunch of hype for this pilot and it was pretty underwhelming t b h. nothing from the possessed child we haven't seen before, and the characterization was pretty bland.
>>
>>70568619
you're missing out
>>
>>70570646

Yeah, we don't really know much about the characters at all outside of common, one-dimensional tropes. Hopefully they're fleshed out over the next few episodes.

>>70570678

Maybe. If I get back into it, though, I'd rather just read the comics.
>>
what's the comic like?
is it well drawn?
is the story good?
are the characters good?
>>
>>70570646
>>70570713
I slightly disagree (save for the husband/cop character) just in the sense that the characters seemed fairly authentic to me.
>>
>>70570882

There's a difference between authenticity of character and depth of character. For instance, I can buy Reverand Anderson's actions/tendencies, but that doesn't mean I have a sufficient understanding of why he is the way he is.
>>
>>70571090
...but it was one episode?
>>
>>70571320

Yes, which was established here: >>70570713

> Hopefully they're fleshed out over the next few episodes.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.