[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me understand Primer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Primer.jpg (218 KB, 1013x1500) Image search: [Google]
Primer.jpg
218 KB, 1013x1500
I was thinking about the film Primer and I think I've discovered a few interesting paradoxes, that I can't quite understand.

If I'm correct the only way to understand time travel in this film is through creating new timelines. Whenever a person enters a box and travels back in time, it creates a new universe with a new timeline, in which things can happen differently. That's why in one timeline Aaron can live through several days but in another one he gets drugged and stashed in the attic for these several days. Those are different universes and timelines.

But this leads to three interesting paradoxes.

First one is that when they turn on boxes their duplicates does not emerge. They sit in the hotel but their clones does not walk around, because in this timeline this did not happen yet. They just sit in the hotel whole day. Then when they enter boxes it creates new timeline where duplicates will appear for a period of time. And in this second timeline there will be their original selves sitting in the hotel, but those are not the same selves who will live through the same events. This is new timeline where different things may happen, including events that could prevent them from entering the boxes. An example of this in the movie is when Aaron receives phone call two times. The thing is the first phone call happens in one timeline and another one in another timeline, so both phone calls can exist and it does not break anything. There are two universes with two Aaron's wives, one of them had a phone conversation and the other did not.

Second paradox is that if these timelines exist, there is no reason for them to disappear. It should mean that every time Abe and Aaron enter the boxes and disappear, this timeline continues with them disappearing from the world forever. Other people live in these timelines but Aaron and Abe are gone forever.

1/2
>>
Third paradox is about their plan to punch Platt. The idea was as follows. They turn on boxes, then go and punch Platt, then enter the boxes and go back in time, then tell their original selves to not punch Platt because they have already did that, but still enter the boxes. That would supposedly mean that they change their own past with the help of time travel, but their memory will keep the event of punching Platt. In my opinion it does not work like that. After they would have punched Platt and entered the boxes, they would have created the new timeline, in which they would tell their not-so-original selves to not punch Platt but still enter the boxes. But they DID punch Platt in their own past, which is another proof that this is new timeline with new history of events for their not-so-original selves. What does this mean? It means a crazy thing. It means that their not-so-original selves will enter the boxes to create a new timeline, where they emerge from the boxes without remembering punching Platt, because this never happened, because their duplicates told them to not do that, which changes history again. What does this mean? I don't know. Maybe you can tell me. I assume it could mean that as long as they enter boxes for the first time they create infinite amount of timelines where history flows differently. Maybe it is how the world exists even without time travel, maybe there are multiple timelines with different history. In this case Abe and Aaron chase what they would think to be the best timeline for them, where they can become rich thanks to time travel, where they save Rachel at the party even though they created a few duplicates. But in reality there are other timelines where it happened differently, where they have disappeared forever after entering the boxes and their families have lost them forever, so in the end they can be happier in one timeline and fucked up their own and other lives in multiple other timelines.

2/2
>>
lol no
>>
I was gonna respond because Primer threads are usually good to meme in but I ain't reading that wall of text fuck you
>>
>>70437459
Gonna watch this shit, is it any good?
>>
>>70437856
I couldn't get past the first half hour of boredom.
People that like it probably like Pi.
>>
>>70437856
yea if you like weird time travel paradox shit

its low budget as hell but thats not necessarily a bad thing in this case
>>
>>70437459
>Second paradox is that if these timelines exist, there is no reason for them to disappear. It should mean that every time Abe and Aaron enter the boxes and disappear, this timeline continues with them disappearing from the world forever. Other people live in these timelines but Aaron and Abe are gone forever.
They don't disappear tho, they just stay in the box. I don't get it.
Also they chronograph everything so they will never meet their clones and the clones do the same.
>>
>>70437943
When they enter the boxes they start to move in time backwards, while other people move forward in time, so in this reality they disappear.
>>
>I was thinking about the film Primer
what a waste
>>
>>70438140
they move back in time but they existed simultaneously outside during the time they were in the box and they keep doing so when they get out of it and back to the timeline. the thing is the one that isn't shane created a paradox at some point in the movie as far as i remember but he did it on purpose. i need to watch this again, holy molly i remember nothing.
>>
>>70437856
It's quite good, though I feel Upstream Color is better.

And for the record I wasn't a fan of Pi
>>
File: primer1.png (260 KB, 2000x1846) Image search: [Google]
primer1.png
260 KB, 2000x1846
Maybe these will clear some things up
>>
File: primer2.jpg (837 KB, 3456x1944) Image search: [Google]
primer2.jpg
837 KB, 3456x1944
>>70440093
>>
>>70438530
Did you read OP post? Read it again. What you said is applied to 2nd timeline, but in first they disappear forever.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.