[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck was his problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 352x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 352x386
What the fuck was his problem?
>>
Poorly written character.
Neglected by the writing staff.

While Tina is like Gale, and Louise is like Bob, Gene is like Linda, and Linda is a character where there really only needs to be one of them. Two is too many. As such, any scene that could involve Bob and Gene could also involve Bob and Linda, and Linda would naturally interact with Bob more. Any interaction between the other two kids and Gene is wasted because they do not regard him as even tangentially an authority on anything, so they'll naturally gravitate to Linda, as well. Nearly everything Tina has to say to Linda is sexual or puberty-related, so Gene isn't the character to go to.

The only time they seem to use him is when Louise has to do something, and her pure super-ego character needs a balance with Gene's id character. And taking them as a single, gestalt character is messy any time Louise has to do anything where Gene's presence wouldn't fit.

And Gene's best episodes are him coming to grips with something. But because he's so perpetually positive, what does he generally have to get over?
>>
>>70420923
wow never thought I'd read an in depth analysis of Bobs fucking Burgers
>>
>>70420923
This is great m8
>>
Dunno, hate the show
>>
In what sense is Louise a pure super-ego character?
>>
File: meth.png (265 KB, 456x376) Image search: [Google]
meth.png
265 KB, 456x376
>>70420737
>>
>>70421008
The kids follow the Id, Ego and Super-Ego pattern. It's an incredibly lazy/easy way to write character-dynamics. She's the Eddy of the group. Tina is Edd. Gene is Ed. It's not as rigid as if they were translated from a psychology book, word for word, but they follow the pattern. She's the schemer and the planner. She is analytical.

Frylock, Shake and Meatwad do this too. As I said, it's lazy and easy, but also it isn't rigid. But it is how she defaults.

In fact, Tina and Louise swap their hats enough that they come off as semi-wellrounded characters. Gene hardly ever swaps hats with anyone.

>>70420946
For some reason, I feel like we have really depthful Bob's Burgers on /tv/... but maybe I am misremembering.

>>70420982
I apologize.
>>
>>70420737
This show is terrible and not even remotely funny.
>>
Gene Belcher did nothing wrong.
>>
>>70421117
>The kids follow the Id, Ego and Super-Ego pattern.

Jesus fuck dude. Don't you ever just watch something and enjoy it for what's on the surface?

Bob's Burgers is a comfy animated sitcom. I ain't going no deeper than that.
>>
>>70420923
good job
>>
>>70420923
I'm going to send this to a friend whose favourite character is Gene. Hopefully it ruins his day. Thanks.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.