[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest warcraft review from a guy who was shilling the shit out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11
File: llane.0warcraft.jpg (180 KB, 790x1251) Image search: [Google]
llane.0warcraft.jpg
180 KB, 790x1251
Honest warcraft review from a guy who was shilling the shit out of this movie for free out of the sheer love for the source material for the last 2 months or so:
>Too much jump cuts, too much going on, too much things happening overall, especially in the beginning felt like it needed another hour at least
honestly, it feels like they had to check off the story points as soon as they could without proper properly setting them up, there was too little world building, wide shots were all quick, character development was, especially in some cases pretty shit (good ones were Blackhand, Gul'Dan, Drakka, Garona, to a lesser extent Durotan but Orgrim was total BS with his sudden betrayal and how they 'sorted things out' later, humans were not developed well enough, especially Lothar after loosing his son was not convincing
>too much exposition delivered through dialogue, not like sw prequels but some of this could be avoided
>Aldoi bullshit - honestly if they scrap Aegwymn to make things less confusing why the hell would they put in something so random and even more convoluted?
>too many close ups during action scenes, the world and battles felt very small because of that even though they had all the CGI of the world happening in the background, it didn't make the fight feel personal, just claustrophobic and at times confusing - it worked in the forest scene because that's how forest fight could feel but all the other could have had different style
>the twists didn't play out well, seriously they had better twists and shockers than game of thrones but we don't care enough about durotan for his death to be shocking enough even though this one was best executed

1/3
>>
2/3
>the actors were too young, seemed like expensive cosplay at places, the guy playing khadkar was the worst of the bunch
>no fall of stormwind really hurts the story
>lothar's finale it made no sense, they should have orgrim challenge blackhand at that point because the fucking gryphon was just stupid

The 'i can live with that'
>nothing special about music, gets repetitive, not nearly as good as the score games had but it was OK overall
>garona's finale change, I think the original version of the story is much better and could make it much more tragic if she had to do it against her own will and not once the king was technically already dead but instead fucking up the humans' chances by doing so, but what they did with it didn't offend me as fan
>thrall, I though I'll be more offended by the baby moises as I fucking hate that character (big warcraft, especially w3 fan)
>The way Khadgar is introduced and just tell his story instead of them showing it to us - that was pretty 'meh', he doesn't get old-looking even though they had golden opportunity during the final fight Dalaran felt shoehorned along with the whole Aldoi BS

The good
>most of the story points were checked OK although I think Medvih's reveal came too early and was overly confusing without need of making it this way
>the finale worked in it's own right even though it was vastly inferior to what the games did
>it looked really, really good an had all the game aesthetics
>it was overall fun
>although too numerous and obvious, the shoutouts to game were not offensive and mostly well done (murloc was really bad though)
>magic was well done, looked good and was unlike anything I've seen in film before
>it was close enough to game to not offend me as a player
>>
I liked it, bit too fast but not going to write a fucking wall of text because it was not a 10/10 movie m8. Still leagues better than any marvel shit or BvS just because It was actually memorable és want to rewatch it.
>>
>everything gul'dan-related and orc's story development were great, with they cared enough to make humans just as decent

Overall it doesn't live to it's potential, but was OK, like 6/10. I could have been so much more with the same source material. I hate to say it but I feel like the director was not right for this project and that Duncan just failed at delivering this movie, I wish the script and casting were better too.

I still would recommend seeing it as it was pretty decent, I had smile on my face during many, many scenes but the parts where they tried to be funny fell flat and some serious scenes made me giggle even though they were meant to be serious, the tone was good though and if they learn from this and hopefully replace director t could produce nice sequels

I just hope they don't take it where Duncan wants to with following just Thrall's story as it's in my honest opinion the shittiest part of WC lore and warcraft 2 deserves at least 2 movies (one for base game and one for expansion), not to mention warcraft 3 deserving own trilogy (2 films for base game and one for TFT)

cool blog I know
>>
They cut 40 minutes out of the movie cause publishers wanted it to fit into a theatre bracket. hence why the world building feels rushed
>>
>>70402818
Duncan said in an interview that he did that humself and there never was another extended cut like with BvS for example, he said that if he was making the film for warcraft fans he probably would slow it down and add a little more but he choose this approach for the general audience

there are some parts that according to him could be dropped in without problems and others that need work on special effects but it's not like the movie was ct to pieces, it was mostly his decision (although studio could have had something to do with it)

it was really shit decision though in my honest opinion, a lot of stuff from trailers and comic con footage that worked really well was cut and the film feels too fast and rushed

also I don't understand why they had to put the title in twice
>>
>>70402141
>the guy playing khadkar was the worst of the bunch
I thought he was good, perhaps my favourite performance.

>>70402973
>also I don't understand why they had to put the title in twice
Yeah, that was weird.
>>
>>70402070
you're a pissy little bitch imo

The movie was 8/10, I had a big smile throughout and for a good while after I came out of the theatre.

It didn't feel rushed to me at all, the pacing was fine.

I only had issues with 3 things:
the generic golem, the lightning cgi, the king's helmet
>>
>>70403641
none of this bothered me desu the golem was set up fine and actually played a decent role in the fight instead of being video game tank n spank type of guy and that was a pleasant suprise
>>
File: Warcraft Fight.webm (3 MB, 1280x526) Image search: [Google]
Warcraft Fight.webm
3 MB, 1280x526
>>
>>70403724
The fight was well done with it, that's true. I just wish it resembled something more warcrafty
>>
The film was ruined by shitty, stilted acting and dialogue, and horrible fantasy tropes and cliches. The movie had potential which was squandered.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBlA4l8it4o

Goddamn, Gul'dan is one scary motherfucker.
>>
I didnt get that part where they said:

Every light has darkness and every dark has light, or whatever it was.

Does that mean that Gul'dan has good inside him which will take control of his body just like with Medivh?
>>
File: Fel.png (55 KB, 428x761) Image search: [Google]
Fel.png
55 KB, 428x761
>>70404723
>>
>>70405015
it was bullshit like the whole Aldi or w/e she/he was plotline, only made things more confusing and wasn't even part of the games. My biggest complaint hands down. If they get rid of Medvih's mother - fine, but don't replace her with something even more convoluted and out of place
>>
>>70405015
>Does that mean that Gul'dan has good inside him

Gul'dan just looking out for the survival of the Orcish race. He want's to create an Orcish reich that lasts for over a 1,000 years.
>>
File: CZV-HKFUsAAIAYf.png (519 KB, 595x594) Image search: [Google]
CZV-HKFUsAAIAYf.png
519 KB, 595x594
>>70404723
>>70405142
>>
>>70405196
His only care is what Kil'Jaeden says in the end.

As for the movie went in preparing for the worst but was pelasantly surprised. Could use another 10-20 minute world building though

Fucking normies can't handle any remotely long movie and ruin everything by forced cuts
>>
Just came back from the cinema.

God, that was fucking great. So fun, the CGI was fantastic. Only mediocre part was the lightning from medivh.

Still, GOAT movie. Age of Vidyakino is upon us.
>>
>That fucking intro music

My dick. Oh my dick.

https://youtu.be/czMoKNsCqro?t=239
>>
>>70405573
Please don't tell me it went 8:50-11:30... What country
>>
>>70405626

Went 20:00 - 22:30 \ 22:30 - 00:30

Italy
>>
>>70405196
>Gul'dan just looking out for the survival of the Orcish race
I remember him being a self-centered prick interested in his own power to be honest.
>>
>>70405670
Sorry if i'm being a retard but did you see it twice or something? Mine finished 12:30 Italy time and I am compulsive about checking coincidences. I'm in England btw
>>
>>70405837

No, i saw the one starting at 22:30.

Wouldn't mind watching it again desu. Gul'dan is fucking based.
>>
>>70405895
>Gul'dan is fucking based
easily best character/part of the movie

there was nothing that could have been done better with him
>>
>>70404719
>horrible fantasy tropes and cliches
Well, it is a Warcraft movie, a franchise built on tropes and cliches of the genre, so that's not really the movie's fault.
>>
>>70405573
The positive reception is giving me hope.

Is it as fun as let's say, Pacific Rim? I enjoyed the shit out of that one.
>>
>>70404723
>but I need him
So based, gas those blue faggot space goats.
>>
>>70406213

Well it's a weird comparison, but it's a fun movie. The orcs are perfect, their CGI is flawless. Their scenes are great.

The human side is weaker, but nothing unbearable. You will probably want the human scenes to end and get back to the orcs, i fucking loved them. The apprentice mage is funny, Lothar is alright but the Garona romance is mediocre.

Orcs straight up carry the movie, it's worth a watch just for them.

and Gul'dan is simply fantastic.
>>
>>70406213
OP here, I started with the bad parts and I bet nobody ended up reading the rest but the movie is very enjoyable especially for warcraft fan (my gf who has no idea about the game rated it 5/10 so not bad either)

it's fun like Jurassic World or Pacific Rim, yeah, just don't expect much more than that and you'll be fine
>>
>>70404719
What exactly did you expect? A post modern meta-satire of the irony in the modern world between Cultures of the west and the east? Perhaps of the nature of man that cannot be dismissed but only hidden by beautiful facades and the veils of civility we weave to hide , only to emerge overpowering once things get at a critical point? Or should it have been in black and white, a single take, or in a foreign language with limited or no subtitles?
>>
>>70406489
Jurassic World had no pacing or immersion/engagement.
>>
File: 4829520792_9329eb7b03.jpg (96 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
4829520792_9329eb7b03.jpg
96 KB, 500x333
>>70406464
>Orcs straight up carry the movie, it's worth a watch just for them.
>>
File: Green jesus.jpg (36 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
Green jesus.jpg
36 KB, 500x273
>>70406542
Did you summon Green Jesus?
>>
>>70406489
I'm an avid /m/ fag, so Pacific Rim gave a huge boner.

I can overlook a lot of the flaws if the movie is actually enjoyable. Batman vs Superman was kinda crappy, but I could have forgiven the nonsensical plot if it was more fun to watch.
>>
No world building at all. For a film like this, it absolutely killed it.

Look at Fellowship. Before you see Frodo there's like 15 minutes of world building. You know exactly where you are and what the backstory is.

In Warcraft your first scene is a random human n random orc in a field. They start fighting and that's it. Just seemed like a bizarre scene to keep.

Next scene you're at Dark Portal just prior to it opening. You have no info on the Draenei in the cages, no info or hints on why Draenor (you're not even told you're actually on Draenor) is dying, no info on clans or leaders or Gul'dan. There's like 10 minutes cut from the start of the film that is INTEGRAL to making it coherent.

I couldn't imagine going to see this film without the knowledge a fan would have from the vidya.
>>
>>70406634
I agree but my friends who didnt know liked it. Blame the normies cutting our run time with their fish attention span
>>
>>70406489

>Implying the Orcs aren't far more based the the dinosaurs

Man every time Gul'dan was on screen you knew you were in for a good time

The part where Durotan asks him for a duel was unexpected. I was certain he'd make another one duel, but he straight up removed his robes and went to town on Durotan

>>70406542

You can tell Metzen had an hand in this. The orcs' side was on point, nobody could ask for a better Gul'dan.

>>70406634

>In Warcraft your first scene is a random human n random orc in a field. They start fighting and that's it. Just seemed like a bizarre scene to keep.

I am certain that was a nod to a cinematic in Warcraft 3. Basically fanservice. But yeah it's probably weird for someone who doesn't know.

>Next scene you're at Dark Portal just prior to it opening. You have no info on the Draenei in the cages, no info or hints on why Draenor (you're not even told you're actually on Draenor) is dying, no info on clans or leaders or Gul'dan. There's like 10 minutes cut from the start of the film that is INTEGRAL to making it coherent.

This is a good point. My friend who had 0 knowledge still enjoyed it, but we discussed later that the movie moved on really damn fast. For example "Medivh" to him was a random strong mage, the movie doesn't really bother to explain them.

But ehy, who needs that when you can have forced garona romance?
>>
As someone who didn't enjoy or like the movie particularly too much, and thought most characters were bland as fuck, Gul'dan was incredibly awesome.

Whenever he was on-screen he always did something awesome, he was both extremely and gratuitously evil, he was far more menacing than any other orc, by far the best thing of the movie. Hilariously over the top in how evil he was, but backing it up every single time
>>
File: 65262376-1.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
65262376-1.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
File: 1265162176-1.webm (988 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1265162176-1.webm
988 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>70408262

god damn that set looks comfy
>>
File: Warcraft scene.webm (2 MB, 1280x526) Image search: [Google]
Warcraft scene.webm
2 MB, 1280x526
>>70408291
>>
>no fall of stormwind
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
>>
File: WarcraftBRoll.webm (764 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WarcraftBRoll.webm
764 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>70408262
Why are they laughing?
>>
>>70408354
I could help but stare at those substantial frontal assets in the cinema, and that leg. Excellent form
>>
>>70402070
it's just shit
>>
>>70406634
I wouldn't mind an extended version with some longer shots and perhaps more introduction, but I didn't want a warcraft movie in the same style of LOTR, that would have been too boring and slow. LOTR is nice but goddammit if rewatching isn't a pain with how slow everything is.

My mate who doesn't play wow gave it an 8, main reason he was really impressed with the CGI

>>70408420
"no dancing on the table like ingame last night mate, just stay on the floor lel"
>>
>>70404719

>it doesn't subvert tropes so it's bad

I want all game of thrones and George RR Martin fans to die agonizing deaths
>>
THEY'RE BEASTS
>>
So basically it needs a straight to bluray directors cut.
>>
>>70409062
The first DVD i will buy in 10 years
>>
>>70402070
I'd give it 7/10 still better than BvS or Captain America
>>
Is it just me or is this literally Refugee Crisis: The Movie?

I haven't even watched it so this is based on a few minutes worth of previews and the trailer but i can already imagine the plot.

Barbaric creatures on the search of a new place to live because their home lands got fucked up some how. They march towards human territory but of course those evil white people want to stop them because they're racist. What they fail to realize is that the barbaric creatures aren't all that bad and that they could co-exist together, even have interracial relationships.

After orcs bashing in racist white peoples heads for like half of the movie eventually the Warcraft equivalent of Bernie cucks save the day by making everyone realize that they can actually live together, peacefully as neighbors.

How accurate is this?
>>
>>70410689
are you stupid

this is a plot that has existed for 20 years
>>
>>70408407
no wonder she looks like an extra in star trek since her skin color was done in post
>>
>>70410689
Except the white sjw faggots are letting mudslimes move in in europe and the working class suffer the consequences like their daughters being raped
>>
>>70410689
fucking retard you don't know the story at all
>>
>>70410736
to be fair warcraft 1 was largely retconned in WoW
>>
>>70410689
Completely inaccurate. Seems you formed your opinion half on an article bashing the movie for being anti refugee and half from your negative reaction to that article. They are portrayed as bloodthirsty savages in their current warped state and the only wish for co existence is the sparing of the would-be-lost lives of the conflict. The movie does not end in friendship at all, and in all lore there is deep hatred between the warring factions. In any case this lore is like 15 years old so if anything George Soros took inspiration for his plan
>>
>>70410689
Spot on
>>
>>70406503
Do people tend to look at their phones a lot when you talk to them?
>>
>>70411798
No
>>
>>70410736
>>70410753
>>70410847
>shills don't know this movie is not lore friendly

lmao
>>
File: 12515.jpg (107 KB, 1810x832) Image search: [Google]
12515.jpg
107 KB, 1810x832
I just wanted Gul'dan to have more screentime.
Everyone seemed to love him in the movie too.

i hope duncan notices this and gives him more attention in the next movie.

he also happens to be my favorite WC character, i was hoping him to be shit after knowing a jap was gonna play him, i was so fucking wrong... his voice / acting was perfect, managed to beat his WoD counterpart
>>
>>70406270
>but I need him
Man that's fucking epic as f*ck
>>
>>70412440
The CGI around that guy was so fucking bad.
>>
>>70412440
do they show mannoroth or any burning legion at all in the movie?
from what ive seen its not demon blood but just fel magic turning em green.
>>
>>70412440
Does he really beat the shit out of Durotan with his bare hands?
>>
>>70413156
He does, didn't even needed to cheat, he slapped durotan like a bitch.

But he drained his soul anyways, because he is Gul'dan.
>>
>>70403753
> knight pounded down by giant fucking hammer

I know nothing about this franchise but I love this kind of shit and don't care how much lore is spewed everywhere

yes, as soon as I'm not broke I'm going to watch this and probably enjoy it

stop me
>>
>>70413246
I'm going to see the movie just for this, holy shit.
>>
>>70413605
I actually uploaded that shit as unlisted on youtube, with really shitty quality.

I'm afraid to post and get fucked though.
youtube is really gay with that.

The scene is my favorite from the movie though.
>>
>>70413916
fuck you, link it

that nigga is one of my favorite characters and i think him hulking out to fight in Legion is great
>>
>>70404723
I thought Blackhand was the leader of the orcs? A puppet of gul'dan yes, but gul'dan always worked behind the scene so to speak. Why did they make gul'dan the leader and Blackhand just some main general dude? Would making gul'dan pulling blackhands strings be too confusing for normies?
>>
>>70414178
blackhand is the warchief in the movie, the guy just uses the word general cause hes not a lore junkie. dont take every word literal
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.