[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 30
File: RR.jpg (192 KB, 1037x755) Image search: [Google]
RR.jpg
192 KB, 1037x755
Well?
>>
Tolkien

>Better prose
>Better worldbuilding
>actually finishing his series

GRRM

>Better characters
>Better "social commentary" (for lack of a better term)
>>
File: 1401483417441.jpg (83 KB, 610x366) Image search: [Google]
1401483417441.jpg
83 KB, 610x366
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423?page=4

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3110466/Game-Thrones-creator-defends-rape-scenes-Author-says-dishonest-boring-leave-sexual-violence.html

>'But if you’re going to write about war, and you just want to include all the cool battles and heroes killing a lot of orcs and things like that and you don’t portray [sexual violence], then there’s something fundamentally dishonest about that.

how could one man be so based?
>>
>>70361781
B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 413x412) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 413x412
Based fatman destroyed that racist/sexist old man long ago

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?
>>
tolkien is a great world builder. everything else is awful. terrible stories, awful one dimensional shit characters (but he gets a pass because 'muh fantasy')

grrm is a very good character writer, an ok world builder, used to be a good story teller but after a storm of swords it all went to shit because he never plans anything out

grrm is better
>>
>>70361648

Definitive answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0
>>
>>70361781
>>70361832
And based fatman was destroyed by Tolkien decades before fatman even thought to start writing his colossal goatfuck of a series. I don't have the pasta saved, but long story short, Tolkien considered a sequel to LotR that was basically aGoT, aCoK and a SoS and he abandoned it almost immediately because it was boring, depressive and not even worth writing.

Also fat man is a draft dodging hippy. Tolkien served King and Country in the Great War and bore witness to innumerable atrocities in the trenches, watching his friends die horrifically. He wrote his legendarium to escape the bleak, depressing world into which he'd survived. GRRM writes his generic high fantasy schlock with "cleverly" disguised cliches because LOL VIOLENCE IS BAD
>>
File: this isn't pretty good.gif (909 KB, 274x244) Image search: [Google]
this isn't pretty good.gif
909 KB, 274x244
>>70361832

>genocide of the orcs
>doesn't know that they're made out of black sorcery and the twisted souls of high elves

e b i n
>>
>>70361987
>Tolkien considered a sequel to LotR that was basically aGoT, aCoK and a SoS
I'm gonna need some major sauce on that.
>>
It's really not much of a comparison. Tolkien practically created a genre and was a very accomplished scholar and soldier, GRRM occupies the same pop cultural space that Christopher Paolini did a few years ago.
>>
>>70362076
>idk how to use the internet
>i can't even be bothered to google "lotr sequel"
>i need to be spoonfed
>SAUCE SAUCE SAUCE

In the sense that it was more about the politics and scheming and court conspiracies than about a Big Bad and a war to save the World.

>The New Shadow was an incomplete sequel (approximately 13 pages) to The Lord of the Rings that J.R.R. Tolkien quickly abandoned. It is set in the time of Eldarion, Aragorn's son, approximately 105 years after the Fall of the Dark Tower. In it is mentioned the Dark Tree, and two characters: Saelon and Borlas.

>Tolkien commented this on it:

>"I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men, it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing."
>>
>>70361987
>Also fat man is a draft dodging hippy. Tolkien served King and Country in the Great War
So Martin dodged being pulled into a completely pointless and destructive war to suffer or possibly die, whereas Tolkien didn't dodge being pulled into a completely pointless and destructive war to suffer or possibly die, which makes him better how exactly? Tolkien didn't serve King and Country, he was just a hapless cog in a murder machine started by an incompetent elite and an overly convoluted web of alliances. Stop romanticizing war and soldiers, the Great War was horrible and pointless.
>>
>>70362056
That is how the race was born, but it's a safe assumption that orcs reproduce normally, with the possible exception of Saruman's Uruk
>>
>>70362229
>denying war as the supreme God of mankind
>implying war isn't the noblest of pursuits
>pointing entry level red pill 101 stuff

How very edgy of you my friend
>>
>>70361648
Tolkien
>finished LOTR

GRRM
>
>>
>>70362328
Tolkien
>finished LoTR
>in the span of a few years

GRRM
>started aSoIaF two decades ago
>no end in sight

HAR
>>
>>70362229
Eat shit bruh.
>>
>>70362177
I bet you're bald. Angry people get bald because anger increases the production of DHT which leads to hair loss.
>>
Tolkein is better at building a coherent and working world with its unique mythology. He was also obviously more intellectually bright

GRRM is better at writing characters and the realities of their existence in the setting.

Tolkein is Homer (but not as timeless or ahead of his time) and GRRM is Victor Hugo (but not as good). Both are good and can't really be compared, and one developed from the other.
>>
Tolkien was a Christian cuck.
>>
>>70362322
>killing people for money is noble
>>
>>70362403
I bet you unironically thought GRRM was better than Tolkien. I also bet you are a fat edgelord with a horrible neckbeard, just like your based savior.
>>
>>70362177
Honestly, it sounds really interesting, though I understand why he didn't do it. Not everything needs a sequel. But I'm intrigued as to what could have been, maybe his grandsons or someone with rights will fuck with it one day.
>>
>>70362469
>says the basement dwelling wizard who believes his intellectual euphoria has elevated him beyond the need for physical violence

I bet you've never even thrown a punch
>>
>>70362487
Oh shit, looks like I struck a nerve. It's okay bro, bald men can still get laid as long as they have a nice face and aren't short.
>>
Tolkien wrote a novel for the ages.

Martin wrote an incomplete and sloppy mess that he let a tv crew finish before he could.
>>
>>70362487
Tolkien fans are noble, aryan, well groomed, well educated fine specimens of mankind.

Gurrm fans have 8 chins and are blue pilled fuckboys
>>
>>70362528
Why do you measure your self-worth on how violent you've been? You sound like a nigger.
>>
>>70362177
>Since we are dealing with Men, it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good.

Tolkien just summarized GRRM's entire "commentary" on human nature in one sentence, in a far more poignant manner than GRRM could ever accomplish. That's about as damning as it gets.
>>
>>70362547
/thread

Tolkien wrote a timeless classic that will be studied in the halls of top tier institutions for decades to come,

Gurrm wrote a good novel series that eventually got bucked by two hacks that further assisted in bloating the story
>>
>>70362584
>Tolkien fans are noble, aryan, well groomed, well educated fine specimens of mankind.

Knowing lots of Tolkien hardcore fans myself I genuinely laughed
>>
>>70362584
>>70362586
You are you under the delusion that GRRM is the superior author when he's been struggling to finish his cliche riddled bloated corpse of a saga for well over a decade now? Martin is the definition of talent less hack.

Unless I've swallowed the bait hook line and sinker
>>
>>70362661
meant to quote this projecting mother fucker >>70362536

not you >>70362584
>>
>>70362650
HEY!

i

I err

i agree actually
>>
>>70362661
that was bait, Tolkien is GOAT, Gurrm is a shitty ass
>>
>>70361832
>Tolkien wasn't as good as me because he didn't drag out the rule of Aragorn past the end of the saga and bog it down with dull as fuck minute and lol genocide
He really is clueless.
>>
Grrm for characters and Tolkien for world building.
>>
>>70362586
How can you expect to accurately depict violence if you've never partaken in any violence? GRRM is a draft dodging faggot, how does he presume to know anything about war besides what he read in his favorite history books? Tolkien lived it, saw it, breathed it, ate, slept and shit it.
>>
>>70361735
>better prose

LotR often reads like a fucking dictionary
>>
>>70362501
Who will inherit Tolkien's work tho?
>>
>>70362764
>muh tax policies
>muh military policies
>baby orcs in craddles

Is that some sort of elaborate shitpost crafted by committee simply for ebin bait purposes? Or did GRRM actually say that? Because if it's the latter than GRRM had a fundamental misunderstanding of LotR. Complete misunderstanding.
>>
>>70362806
>LotR often reads like a fucking dictionary
This is what stupid people say.

GRRM's prose isn't necessarily bad (although it definitely has its lows), it's just workmanlike. Tolkien's isn't necessarily great, it has flaws, but it is nevertheless better.
>>
>>70362839
Its so damned plausible it could be either.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (26 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
26 KB, 367x500
>>70362839
I don't think he was criticizing LotR as much as he was just differentiating his own brand of fantasy from that of Tolkien's
>>
>>70362764
He just said that Tolkien wrote a manichaeist novel, which is true. He mainly criticized people who wrote tolkien-like stuff after him without the goodness of Tolkien
>>
>>70361781
>m-muh realizm!!!!
Only GRRM himself isn't very realistic
>entire continent, from the rhoynar in dorne to the first men in the north speak the same language
>dynasties that last 8000 years
>Lannisters being rich cuz dey hav the mines xD
>a feudal times king being able to rule over a south american sized continent
>>
>>70362777
trips of truth, always vigilant.
>>
>>70362909
But in so doing he makes his own sound extraordinarily dull, autistic and edgy.
>>
Robert Jordan shits on them both. Gentle femdom and mind-numbingly ineffective communication is my cup of tea
>>
File: 1365465556033.jpg (29 KB, 490x333) Image search: [Google]
1365465556033.jpg
29 KB, 490x333
>>70362777
Yeah, so what? What about it? There's nothing in the post you're replying that even implies that GRRM's war stories are realistic or more accurate to war than Tolkien's stories, so you're certainly not refuting anything by stating that Tolkien went through some awful shit.
>>
>>70361987
/thrd
>>
>>70362925
GRRM isn't very clever either. Despite his claims of subverting all the generic shit of the genre, his series is blatant high fantasy and full of all the expected cliches. There's even a big bad with an army of devoted mindless evil people. Only they hail from the North instead of the East. Anyone who read his sci fi stuff has a pretty strong idea of what he's trying to do. GRRM is pretty one note.

As it is all he knows how to do is introduce characters, make you think they have plot armor, and then brutally murder them in a "shocking" manner. He can't even come up with any original ideas. He either repeats himself or rips from history.
>>
OP here, I just wanted to know which one you guys thought had the best fashion sense.
>>
>>70362982
the whole point of the original argument is that Tolkien's work is inferior because it's romanticised and noblebright fantasy while GRRM wrote realistic intrigue and cruelty into his books

the thread's not even 50 posts, try to keep up
>>
>>70363032
You're saying that magic fire lizards versus the frosty zombies is dumb? How dare you?
>>
>>70362982
>moving the goalposts

I replied to a guy who made some sort of ham fisted implication. And I actually expanded on the point I was making, which he had missed. GRRM prides himself on showing the bad side of war and violence. Which anyone with half a brain realizes. But what does he really know? He witnessed none of it first hand. What does he have to be so preachy about? If anyone should have been the anti war guy, between the two of them, it was Tolkien. GRRM just comes off as an edgelord GRRM prides himself on his depiction of war and violence, but really what the fuck does he know? He's never been in the thick of combat, etc. etc.
>>
>>70363050
That turquoise necklace on GRRM looks fucking shit. Lkike GRRM it says "thrift store". But look at Tolkien, the man exudes class.
>>
I have read all of ASOIAF, but only 1-2 books from Tolkien. I don't read genre fiction anymore and consider both of them equally bland.
However, as someone in the field of literature (and medievalism in particular), the idea of GRRM even being compared to JRRT is laughable.
Tolkien was an Oxford professor who, years before he ever published any fiction, had singlehandedly reinvented the study of Anglo-Saxon writing and the history of the English language. He conducted textual studies which proved OE was spoken up until the 13th century in the West Midlands and brought Beowulf back to the public eye, a place in which it has remained ever since. His lecture/essay On Fairies ended two centuries of academic ignorance of so-called 'fairy tales' which in the medieval era were read by all age groups.
By adapting the tropes of the stories he studied for the modern era, he created the entire genre of Fantasy as it exists today, which previously had been relegated to children. The word 'wight' as it exists now, meaning 'undead monster' only exists because of people misunderstanding Tolkein's usage.
While you can debate which one crafts the better story to the end of days, taken as overarching figures, it isn't even remotely competitive.
>>
>>70363032
He's not writing a total subversion of high fantasy, numbnuts, he's just approaching it from a different angle than Tolkien.on one hand you're bitching that he's not Tolkien, and then on the other you're saying he's not differentiating himself enough. What the fuck do you want?

Honestly it just sounds like to me other people enjoy a fantasy series that you don't.
>>
>>70361648
Tolkien
>Hobbit goes there and back again in 300 pages

GRRM
>Tyrion or Victarion spend 1050 pages trying to get to Kelly C who is stuck in Slavers cities for several books.
>>
>>70363096
I'm saying that people masturbate to aSoIaF because it subverts the genre cliches, because it's low fantasy, blah blah blah. It's the same generic shit that's been spit out a hundred times, by better authors. GRRM doesn't posses an original bone in his body.
>>
>>70361956
Was about to post that
>>
Tolkien created at least 4 new languages and thousands of years of mythology and history as backstory to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Most of it's not even in the books, he just made it to create a sense of coherence in the world for his own sake

GRRM pulls plots and character arcs out of his ass and is just throwing them together willy-nilly with no greater meaning other than to get people's attention with sex and violence and harp on how there aren't really heroes and villains

if I wanted a deconstruction of the hero myth I'd read Dune which did it infinitely better in 4 books with a fraction of the mindless violence and only like half as many orgy scenes
>>
>>70363194
>Subverts cliches
No, it just takes longer to get to them.
>>
File: erickson_france_2010.jpg (183 KB, 434x648) Image search: [Google]
erickson_france_2010.jpg
183 KB, 434x648
>>70361648
Both wrong
>>
>>70363190
Yet every one of his stupid fans believes he's writing a subversion of high fantasy. He prides himself on "not being Tolkien" but his stuff is poorly disguised and inverted Tolkien.

Never said anything about not enjoying the books either. There was a time where I read them ravenously. Then aFFc rolled out and it was clear the fatfuck had no idea where he was headed, how to get there, or even what he was doing any more.

Fuck, even Robert Jordan was better. Sure he didn't finish his series, but he wrote until he died. GRRM just gave up apparently.
>>
File: r scott.jpg (14 KB, 220x289) Image search: [Google]
r scott.jpg
14 KB, 220x289
>>70363288
pardon me, excuse me, coming through
>>
>>70363032
hi preston
i like your videos
>>
>>70363288
>>70363353

"Its The New Anti-Tolkien"

Still havent written anything better or lasting; thats why they come and go.
>>
>>70363290
>Yet every one of his stupid fans believes he's writing a subversion of high fantasy.

You really need to judge a work by it's own merits rather than its fanbase.

if you were alive in the 60s you'd know Tolkien's audience back then was the DUDE WEED LMAO counterculture types because they thought it was funny to pretend the Hobbits smoked weed
>>
>>70363451
>pretend
>>
>>70363436
Bakker is cranking out books for his epic at a ridiculous rate, flying past GRRM at light speed.
>>
File: TP.jpg (95 KB, 634x650) Image search: [Google]
TP.jpg
95 KB, 634x650
>>70363050
if we're doing fantasy writer fashion sense, Terry Pratchett definitely wins with the subdued wizard look
and honestly as far as prose, he beats both Tolkien and GRRM but might just be because I'm biased towards comedy over serious fantasy
>>
>>70363451
GRRM himself believes he is writing a master crafted subversion of the genre. And yet Jon Snow is the "Chosen One" hidden heir to the royal blood line that we've seen hundreds of times before.
>>
>>70363510
>cranking out books

and that is why he fails.
>>
>>70363559
And yet I've still to find a Bakker book to bore me. Every part of GRRMs canon is now bullshit and it'll never be finished as the fat fuck gave up.
>>
>>70363559
>does his job
>isn't distracted by literally everything
>isn't letting a crew of tv writers finish his series because he doesn't care any more

and yet he fails? He wrote the same amount of books as GRRM for his series in half the time
>>
>>70363245
Is Dune good? Been thinking of reading it or watching the movie.
>>
>>70363628

Its one thing to be entertained by a book, its another to be potentially changed by one.
>>
>>70363628
Not to mention that Bakker's series will be finished (two more books) before TWoW even comes out. I guess Tolkien failed too because it only took him three years to write his seminal work?
>>
>>70363628
>>70363655

Tolkien completed his 'series' before he even published it. Didnt waste peoples time.

These people crank out carbon copys of the same books.
>>
>>70363664
You were changed by GRRM...?
Read more. Its that simple.
>>
what is danyreis (sp?) tax politics?
>>
File: 1453426275189.png (127 KB, 300x315) Image search: [Google]
1453426275189.png
127 KB, 300x315
>>70363664
>implying aSoIaF changed you
>derivative unimaginative genre fiction changed you
>>
File: StarTrekFEATURE.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
StarTrekFEATURE.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1334
Sci-Fi > Fantasy
>>
>>70363730
You spell in Danny, or RunnyBum.
>>
>>70361781
High fantasy > soap opera
>>
>>70363715

Did i say i was the GRRM fan?

Didnt i just criticise authors who crank out books without end?
>>
>>70363730
Danny doesn't have politics, she's just a crazy evil psychopath.
>>
>>70361648
Tolkien's unpublished scrap notes are probably better written than GrrM's entire output.
>>
File: H.G._Wells_by_Beresford.jpg (308 KB, 573x800) Image search: [Google]
H.G._Wells_by_Beresford.jpg
308 KB, 573x800
>>70363785
>sci-fi

Let us give thanks to another based English author H. G. Wells.
>>
>>70362806
>LotR often reads like a fucking dictionary
Heaven forbid you read something by Clark Ashton Smith.
>>
>>70363823
GRRM has stopped. About time you realised.
>>
>>70363732

This is the trouble with being on anonymous message boards; people confuse you with someone else.
>>
>>70363785
>science fiction
>fiction
>fantasy
>>
>>70363873

what are we even arguing about?

i feel like we're talking about two diffrent things.
>>
>>70363823
So GRRM is a better author because he hasn't released a book in five years? And it took him a decades worth of rewriting two books to even get to that point?
>>
One is a war hero and Cambridge professor who spawned a new genre of literature, the other's an obese retard who wears a gay cap all the time and sold his show out to a couple of Jews. Tough choice.
>>
>>70362857
nigga, you didn't even explain why Tolkien is better
>>
>>70363922

see
>>70363914
>>
When the fuck will we get a proper The Witcher HBO series or movie so we can stop sucking dick on grrrrrrrrrm
>>
>>70363846
the time machine is underrated
>goes to the future cucks everywhere
niggas genius
>>
One is a well respected professor who wrote as a hobby and by chance influenced a genre to such a degree that it is still the gold standard 60 years later.

The other is a mediocre writer who inserts his fetishes into his edgy fantasy schlock novels and draws them out endlessly simply because they became popular.
>>
>>70361781
>The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.
>Here's the others and the night king
>>
>>70363656
Do you think Dune is called the bible of science fiction for no reason?
>>
>>70361648
GRRM doesn't even measure up to Robert E Howard's Conan series. Hyboria is the original Westeros/Essos.
>>
>>70363928
>>70364066

solid stuff there chaps

keep blessing the internet with your profound minds and opinions
>>
>>70362177
Honestly would have been shit. Like in the Amber chronicles where Corwin is replaced with his bitch Mary Sue son.
>>
>>70361781

>Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

I would hope so.
>>
One is a old white man who fought in some war. The other is a old, fat, white man. I choose neither.
>>
>Much as I admire Tolkien, and I do admire Tolkien — he’s been a huge influence on me, and his Lord of the Rings is the mountain that leans over every other fantasy written since and shaped all of modern fantasy — there are things about it, the whole concept of the Dark Lord, and good guys battling bad guys, Good versus Evil, while brilliantly handled in Tolkien, in the hands of many Tolkien successors, it has become kind of a cartoon. We don’t need any more Dark Lords, we don’t need any more, ‘Here are the good guys, they’re in white, there are the bad guys, they’re in black. And also, they’re really ugly, the bad guys. **George R. R. Martin

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>70364201
I've never heard it called that before.
>>
>>70364201
Dune: Messiah is garbage.
>>
>>70364538
He means that ugly little black-eyed Tyrion is gonna be the hero who saves Westeros.
>>
>>70363656
Yes. It might be a little difficult to read but you definitely should check at least the first book.
>>
>>70364538

Its proof he doesnt read what he writes since he is just as guilty of the same things he denigrates others for.
>>
>We don’t need any more Dark Lords
>And also, they’re really ugly, the bad guys.

Wait, what the fuck are the "others" in asoiaf if not exactly that? Is he trolling
>>
>>70364676
The others are just a force of nature that looms in the background while everyone south of the Wall fights over trivial shit. Clearly a metaphor for global warming.
>>
>>70364676
You left out where he wrote
>‘Here are the good guys, they’re in white, there are the bad guys, they’re in black

The other are clearly white and the night's watch wear black. Big difference.
>>
>>70364832
That's pretty mindblowing.
>>
>>70364832
Wow he really is breaking the conditioning
>>
>wears some shitty turtle broch he found at a flea market
>writes 2edgy5you fantasy with muh moral complexity even though it just devolves into cliche
>criticizes tolkien for writing a morally instructive work even though tolkien based it off European folklore which was always morally instructive
>>
>>70364579
nah Dune Messiah is fine; really the first 4 books are kind of necessary to get the whole meaning of what Herbert was going for in Dune

The first one is definitely the best with the best writing, best paced story, most action, and most interesting look into the universe. But that's because it's the one that follows the classical hero's journey most closely, while the next 3 subvert it and show why the events of Dune were for the worse overall
>>
"The sight of their arousal was arousing" - George R.R. Martin "The American Tolkien"
>>
File: 13976528.jpg (236 KB, 580x563) Image search: [Google]
13976528.jpg
236 KB, 580x563
>>70365048
Say what you want, I think Tolkien did a great disservice to his fans by not including sexual violence into his stories.

>gang of orcs ravaging young elven pussy
>trolls raping elves and women
>sauron having a harem of slave Princes and princess's that he sodomizes
>goblins keeping a pen of women they use to satisfy them

It certainly adds flavour. Just imagine the sacking of gondolin
>>
File: 1464611685826.jpg (2 MB, 2388x2071) Image search: [Google]
1464611685826.jpg
2 MB, 2388x2071
>>70365207
I hope you weren't mocking the new father of fantasy there anon
>>
>>70362445
>Christian
>Cuck
Pick one.
>>
>>70365596
>entire religion built around someone who hung around prostitutes to be their friend, kissed the feet of the poor, turned the other cheek, and let himself get killed by his best friend
>not a religion of cucks
>>
File: Pope-kissing-feet.jpg (76 KB, 700x405) Image search: [Google]
Pope-kissing-feet.jpg
76 KB, 700x405
>>70365596
>>
>>70364660
>you definitely should check at least the first book.

Just finished it earlier this year. It was alright, but I was disappointed in light of all the hype.
>>
>>70365662
“The catastrophe, for us, is that of being tied to a religion that rebels against all the joys of the senses. Apropos of that, the hypocrisy of the Protestants is worse than that of the Catholics. Protestantism has the warmth of the iceberg. The Catholic Church, that still has its thousand years of experience and has not lost contact with its Jewish origins, is obviously more adroit. She permits the orgies of Carnival, firstly because she is powerless to prevent them, and secondly because she recaptures the sinner on Ash Wednesday. By picturing to him the sufferings of Hell, she succeeds in inciting him to be properly generous. After periods of repentance, there's room for relaxation!”

-Adolf Hitler

Throughout our history Christianity has generally engendered soft, fearful people who are prone to fits of zealous violence.
>>
File: 1460514238530.jpg (24 KB, 443x510) Image search: [Google]
1460514238530.jpg
24 KB, 443x510
>>70361648
>>70361648
There's more mystery and dread in Martin's world. Part of this has to do with the Lovecraftian elements but also just the fact that the darkness and failings of man aren't only attributable to corruption by various fallen deities or sub-deities.

The suggestion that man himself is prone to acting only out of self-interest or in service of forces he doesn't truly understand or for a good he thinks is higher than the commonly accepted notions are all more relatable as antithetical forces to those of the more "noble" or "honorable" characters, who themselves can be committed to a fault to their ideals or causes.

There's also still so much we don't know about the ASOIAF world, things that predate its written history and ages of heroes and legend that make the world feel ancient but also kind of in its twilight years, where less grand and wonderful things are currently happening but it's also less predictable than it's ever been.

Everything feels like a long tapestry of intriguing and tragic and world-changing events, of which we're only witnessing one small link in a greater chain, like actual history but with still more that we don't know than what we do know.

By and large it's just a much more interesting setting with so many questions I want to see answered. What happened to Old Valyria? Who built the Five Forts? What is the curse of Yeen all about? What is the connection between the Ghost Grass and Asshai and the children of the forest and the dragons and the Deep Ones and all the other fantastical elements of this world, if anything?
>>
>>70365720
>Luke 7:38
>As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

Niggers are the Christ of the new church, and the Pope is their woman
>>
>>70365720
Is it literally impossible to have a leader who takes a somewhat tolerant approach to other peoples and faiths without going full "sucking my black bull's toes"?
>>
>>70361781
>baby orcs

I thought orcs were made from some kind of magical soup or whatever. Did I just imagine that or what
>>
>>70362806
>lotr used big words

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>70366133
>Lovecraftian

stopped reading there

okay I lied but people need to stop calling anything remotely weird "lovecraftian", it's a buzzword devoid of all meaning
>>
>>70361781
>Why isn't the world war veteran depicting battles as they were fought? Why isn't he killing characters per page as his friends were gutted down by artillery and their corpses would rot in a crater filled with water and shit?
>>
>>70363993
Only if it's based on the books and covers the short stories. It would he Goat for those 13 episodes but then would lose its steam. And we are getting a proper movie next year that is based on two of the shorts.
>>
>>70365276
You are the pimple on the face of the fantasy genre.
>>
File: 1396907875926.jpg (453 KB, 1488x921) Image search: [Google]
1396907875926.jpg
453 KB, 1488x921
>>70361648
>>
>>70366058
Can you explain that quote? I don't understand what Hitler is trying to convey here at all. Is Catholicism bad, or Protestantism, or both? Is he against religion?
>>
>>70366375
Except he actually uses Lovecraftian horror references you dumb nigger.
>>
File: Robert_E_Howard_suit.jpg (222 KB, 696x900) Image search: [Google]
Robert_E_Howard_suit.jpg
222 KB, 696x900
This guy is better than both.
>>
>>70367326
>beta nu-male who offed himself
>>
>>70367219
I believe the Greyjoys are a reference, yes, but there's nothing "Lovecraftian" about his prose style or any of the fantasy things like the White Walkers, Children of the Forest, etc.
>>
>>70366616
The quote is out of context from a longer conversation. He starts off by criticizing Christianity as a whole, but then delves into comparing the differences of Catholicism and Protestantism.
>>
>>70367388
So he just rambles without having a point. As expected of such an insane psychopath.
>>
>>70361735
>actually finishing his series
HAAAAHAHAHAHAHA
no
WHY TOLKIEN
WHY THE FUCK YOU NOT JUST FIX SMALL STUFF INSTEAD OF STARTING OVER EVERY TIME
ALL THE STORIES WE COULD'VE HAD.
>>
>>70367387
There are also Deep Ones, The Church of the Starry Wisdom, Carcosa and the Yellow Emperor.
>>
>>70362806
silmarillion reads like a dictionary, but it's not really a work of prose and it's not really by tolkien
>>
>>70367636
Silmarillion is the only Tolkien book I've ever read. Is this bad?
>>
>>70366225
naw, the uruk hai might come out of the magical soup, but it's clear that regular orcs breed just like men and elves
>>
>>70361735
>Tolkien
>>actually finishing his series

about that
>>
File: 1394164794003.gif (925 KB, 212x176) Image search: [Google]
1394164794003.gif
925 KB, 212x176
>Fat cunt criticizing anyone else
>mfw Quentyn chapters
Hundreds of pages for a completely pointless character.
>>
File: 00002442.jpg (389 KB, 795x1074) Image search: [Google]
00002442.jpg
389 KB, 795x1074
I cry everytime.
>>
>>70367927
Lord of the Rings is a finished series, dumbass. He had other works that were unfinished and unpublished that were later released posthumously, but they were never a part of a series.
>>
>>70368247
They are all interconnected.
>>
>>70367448
That's how he's typically characterized these days. Incorrectly, obviously. But you've got to be able to read to understand that.
>>
>>70367768
No. its the best if you can actually digest all the history
>>
>>70367768
you are doing it 100% wrong
>>
>>70368300
Yes, but it is not a "series". Lord of the Rings is a series, which is finished, and ASOIAF is a series, which is unfinished.
>>
File: hurin1.jpg (79 KB, 712x1000) Image search: [Google]
hurin1.jpg
79 KB, 712x1000
>>70368221
>Dat ending

Hurin and his family got royally fucked
>>
>>70368247
I wouldn't really call lotr a series
lotr was written as a single novel in 6 parts, it was split up by the publisher
>>
GRRM is a mediocre writer. It's actually quite obvious how the fantasy elements are there to cover for his inability to write a straight up medieval political drama. Look at his stupid quote in this thread about "Aragorn's tax policies" like he addresses it in his own work. "Crown spent too much money and is in debt to Iron Bank" "Littlefinger pulls money out of his ass" That's how deep GRRM goes into tax and treasury.
>>
>>70367620
Not the anon your replying to, but listing more references (you missed Leng btw) doesn't make you right and him wrong... he's still right in that GRRM doesn't write in Lovecraftian prose, or really anything remotely similar to it or to conventional horror. References to THINGS in Lovecraft's works doesn't make your own work "Lovecraftian"
>>
>>70364251
This Conan did what GRRM did years ago.
>>
>>70367326
Favorite Story?
>>
File: 20160531161655_1.jpg (564 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160531161655_1.jpg
564 KB, 1920x1080
>>70363993
I would not want those hacks ANYWHERE near the Witcher. They would warp it to suit the GoT audience and strip it of everything it's about. Fuck man Blood and Wine is like giant massive fuck you to GoT in general.
>>
>>70369279
>muh Elric of Melnibone ripoff in copypaste folklore stories guys
Go back to /v/ retard
>>
>>7036933fuck sorry, gonna post a new thread
>>
>>70364106

We don't know what the Night's kings motivations are
>>
>>70369434
They are just basically out of control killer robots. Boring.
>>
If you think tolkein was a good writer you must be a child or an autist.
It's not even worth discussing the fat one.
>>
>>70369528

[citation needed]
>>
>>70369564
We already saw it retard. CotF made them, and lost control of them. Boring.
>>
>>70366058
Hitler, the ultimate cuck
>>
>>70367564
>>70367927
Tolkien has unfinished works but he fucking completed the narrative set up by the hobbit and LOTR

fuck off
>>
>>70361648
Literally like comparing a duck and a lion just because they're both animals, tbqh.
>>
>>70361648
Shouldnt this be on /lit/?
>>
>>70371792
Ducks aren't animals though, they are Aves
>>
>>70361832
Once again, I challenge anyone to find a description of "tax policy" in history half as detailed as he describes any random character's breakfast.
>>
>>70371965
Anon asking the real questions
>>
>One has indeed personally to come under the shadow of war to feel fully its oppression; but as the years go by it seems now often forgotten that to be caught in youth by 1914 was no less hideous an experience than to be involved in 1939 and the following years. By 1918, all but one of my close friends were dead.

>As a conscientious objector, Martin did alternative service 1972-1974 with VISTA, attached to Cook County Legal Assistance Foundation. He also directed chess tournaments for the Continental Chess Association from 1973-1976,
>>
<----/lit/
>>
>>70368247
GRRM has written other works, you know
>>
>>70365276
Get off 4chan, Martin and finish the goddamn series.
>>
At least Tolkien finished his damn story
>>
File: rare fedora.jpg (29 KB, 369x367) Image search: [Google]
rare fedora.jpg
29 KB, 369x367
>>70365276
>>
>>70361648
>Well?
Cute couple, are they married?
>>
>>70372077
yep

dubs confirm the TROOF
>>
>>70362777
How can historians have jobs if they've never even died of dysentery or stabbed someone with a spear???
>>
>>70372584
strong chin - alpha
>>
I'll say it again only obnoxious this time

SHOULDNT

THIS

BE

ON

/LIT/
>>
>>70372725
>delusional
>>
>>70368598
You probably think In the Mouth of Madness is "Lovecraftian prose" because you don't know anything about subtlety or nuance.
>>
>>70361648
Tolkien was alright. He is a LITTLE overrated though, people act like he invented wizardsndragons fantasy or was the only person writing it but he had a lot of contemporaries and predecessors who didn't have the good fortune to become the #1 meme author among 14 year olds for half a century.
>>
>>70361781
IT'S ABOUT TONE YOU FAT FUCKING PERVERT
>>
File: pryce.png (539 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
pryce.png
539 KB, 640x425
>skips over writing battle scenes because he has no idea what battle is like
>extensive detail on food and sex with underage girls
Hmmmm, really makes you think
>>
>>70369596
Books != Show
>>
File: think.jpg (129 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
think.jpg
129 KB, 600x600
>>70372921
>>
File: 1356145113522.png (221 KB, 850x645) Image search: [Google]
1356145113522.png
221 KB, 850x645
>>70372935
>he thinks the books will be different
Oh I'm sure it will go into more detail, but the result will be the same.
>>
>>70372921
...........OH SHEEETTTTTTT
>>
>>70371965
lit wouldn't give a shit about two genre authors, even if one is a FOTM hack and the other is a world class scholar who gave birth to the genre in the first place
>>
>>70367769
not according to Battle for Middle-Earth

Urukhai and Orcs are both produced in primordial sludge pits
>>
>>70373094
And what makes you think this is the board for this? (apart from it being shitpost central)
>>
>>70373120
Well as good as that game is, it's not canon.
>>
>>70372806
>weak-chinned faggot
>>
>>70367768
>Is this bad?

It's weird, I can tell you that.
>>
>>70373164
>Says the obese turd neckbeard

You wouldnt know a strong chin if it beat your weeaboo ass.
>>
>>70373150
mainly cause it's the prime board for shitposting, but also because they had their most famous works adapted to film/television and it's pretty obvious most of the people responding are doing so based solely on having seen the adaptations
>>
>>70373158
oh :(
>>
>>70361781
based opinion
>>
So much mad itt, holy shit lol
>>
>>70371971
And GRRM isn't a writer, he's a hack.
>>
>>70373212
>stringing together vaguely offensive words in an attempt to create an original insult

you wouldn't know a weeaboo ass if it slid all the way down your cock
>>
>>70373271
My point is that they are talking about the books here though not the adaptations and specifically the writing, kinda thought that would be obvious pleb.

The shit posting i get which is why i already stated that.
>>
They're both amazing writers, buzz off.
>>
>>70373381
GRRM is a shit writer.
>>
>>70373354
>>
>>70372478
And they're mostly garbage.
>>
>>70373336
TROOF!
>>
>>70373410
I'm reading the first ASOIAF right now and I agree that his prose is a bit corny, but it takes a good writer to keep a story coherent and entertaining for hundreds of pages.
>>
>>70373354
Least i would be getting some ass, unlike you who would be humping his cum stained waifu pillow because "you so ronrey" :^)
>>
>>70373476
The first book is the best one.
>>
File: 1451795838449.jpg (210 KB, 1100x700) Image search: [Google]
1451795838449.jpg
210 KB, 1100x700
>>70373120
>battle for middle-earth

Good times
>>
>>70373645
>play as Mordor against Easy AI's
>Dominate early game, fend off minor raids from Gondor every 3/4 minutes
>Amass army of Mumakil with flame archers on their back
>Win game in one rush
>Feel accomplished

I should try and dig up my old copy
>>
File: Harry Potter Lovecraft.jpg (24 KB, 285x352) Image search: [Google]
Harry Potter Lovecraft.jpg
24 KB, 285x352
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons she was shitting brown water,
The more she drank, the more she shat,
but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew,
At that moment she was tranforming INTO A TENTACLED JEW....
>>
>>70363073
Romanticised and noblebright fantasy belongs to Tolkein you fuck
>>
>>70373802
This is 1000x better than grrm's version.

top kek.
>>
>>70367373
>beta nu-male who offed himself
Wasn't suicide. He wrote about the reptilians infiltrating postitions of power in his stories and NWO killed him. Then they killed his friend Lovecraft for doing the same thing only they used weaponized cancer.
>>
>>70373802
Lovecraft was right, negroes do indeed grow in eggs. I've seent it.
Source: I'm a negro.
>>
File: 1434024560756.jpg (17 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
1434024560756.jpg
17 KB, 500x337
>>70368221
Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.