[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When are you going to admit that Revenge of the Sith is pure kino?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 20
File: RotS Cinegrid.png (3 MB, 2780x1564) Image search: [Google]
RotS Cinegrid.png
3 MB, 2780x1564
When are you going to admit that Revenge of the Sith is pure kino?
>>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>70351518
Kek you couldn't even find 9 decent images
>>
File: LucasLaughing.jpg (36 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
LucasLaughing.jpg
36 KB, 600x400
>>70351518
It's better than VI, but worse than V.

III wins acclaim by the pure scope of great scenes and the actual galaxy-sized war abound, but suffers from a lot of cases of some literal meme acting.

V is just a good all-around film overall, even if George himself thinks that he could have done more with the "war" stuff and wishes he could have shown us the Empire's capital at that time.

(VI was also originally about two Death Stars located at the Empire's capital, with Emperor's fortress being an underground hell-like lavaland)
>>
>>70351518
not one of those shots is particularly interesting
>>
>>70351784
They're very cinematic and strong in the way they needed to be. RotS is basically a greek tragedy and the cinematography supports that. The use of colour is actually a lot more subtle than people give it credit for
>>
>>70351682
>It's better than VI
lmao
>>
>>70351682
>That original ROTJ ending with twin death stars over Coruscant in a film directed by David Lynch or David Cronenburg will never happen.

ROTJ was my favorite as a young kid, before I was old enough to understand what made TESB so great.

Now, I kind of hate it for what it could have been.

My ranking:
>V>power gap>IV>I=III=VI>II>power gap>VII

What could have been, with only a few relatively minor tweaks:
>VI=I>V=III>II=IV>power gap>VII
>>
>>70351858
I am serious. Lucas admitted that he hated the cantina scene in IV because the alien characters all turned out fake and ugly.

SO WHY MAKE A WHOLE FIRST ACT OUT OF FAKE, UNFUNNY, UGLY ALIENS, YOU FAT FUCK!?

VI can be watched on fastforward: Vader's Arrival, Sheev's Arrival, Rebel Council Scene, Vader vs Luke duel. All the Tatooine scenes, all the Endor scenes were pure trash, and that's half of the movie.

Just my opinion, mate.
>>
>>70351897
Yeah, it's a shame, but Lucas understood that he didn't have the technology to make the Imperial Capital (originally called Had Abaddon, changed to Coruscant after Timothy Zann introduced it in the books) as grand as he wanted. The space battle would include the rebel fleet destroying the Death Stars not through a core attack, but in a massive, long battle of endurance.

But even with the last iteration of ROTJ, why did he swap the Wookies for Ewoks? Having wookies, the people of our secondary protagonist Chewie as the main force to root for would have been perfect, and their rebellion against the Empire would have been much more believable than the Ewoks'.
>>
>>70351836

ROTS has good cinematography, it's just retarded
>>
>>70351939
No disagreements here, that was a spot-on observation.

Now imagine if the film begins with a truncated Jabba sequence interspersed with Luke finishing his training with Yoda. Throw in some bits with Lando secretly communicating with Mon Mothma saying something like "there have been some complications, we just need a little more time" to get the "Rebel attack on DSII" plot started further.

No rancor scene, instead we get Luke sensing Leia's rescue attempt failing as Yoda dies and tells Luke that his training is complete, and he again goes off to save his friends, though now with Yoda's blessing.

Luke gets into his X-wing and tells R2 that there's been a change in plans, and he's not going to rendezvous with the Rebel fleet, and instead has some business to take care of.

Cut to Jabba's sail barge heading to the Sarlacc pit, where Han, Leia, Chewie are to be executed. At the last moment, out of the blue, Luke shows up and starts kicking ass, and the battle goes just as it did in ROTJ.

Only, now, we cut straight to the rebel fleet and the Death Star attack.

The part with the Ewoks is truncated, and instead we get the original plan of Wookies, who immediately take to the rebels and share with them their plan to attack the Imperials on their own, which Han/Leia Chewie choose to join in on. On the eve of the attack, Luke does the "I'm your brother BS" before going to confront Vader, and the rest of the movie plays out as it did, only with bowcasting Wookies kicking stormtrooper ass and ripping arms from sockets, etc. Basically space Vietnam, and the Imperials are the US.

There, I just fixed ROTJ for you.
>>
>>70352035

See my fix here:
>>70352381
>>
>>70351518
i DID like it. how shit are the other prequels compared to this?
>>
>>70352381
Yep, good job. Personally, I'd also either not include Boba Fett at all, or have him play some part with the whole matter of the rebel fleet being "baited" by the Emperor to attack the Death Star. Maybe instead of "many Bothans" mention have a small scene of Fett "selling" information to Mon Mothma regarding the Death Star's location.
>>
4>3>5>6=1>2>7
>>
>>70352484
I personally think Phantom Menace is comfy asf, but watch the anti-cheese edit on Youtube which removes some of the shitty Gungan/Jar Jar stuff
>>
>>70352484
TPM is like a Disney Cartoon (before the actual Disney Star Wars). Stupid adults, kid hero saves the world, teen princess has to grow up and own to responsibilities, funny useless monster villains (with one cool-looking bad guy agent), mandatory annoying comic relief.

AOTC is good when it's about Anakin and Obi-Wan's detective stories on cool alien worlds. Unfortunately, half of the story is romance, with cringey dialogue that Lucas just can't write. The final battle is pretty good, but there is not enough cool space battle scenes compared to the likes of III or VI.

(Interestingly, while an average Joe may think that all of Kamino was generated by a computer, it's actually miniature practical sets, made by Adam Savage of the Mythbusters, then improved in post-production. Yes, even those pristine MIB-style white corridors are practical effects, though obviously not set-sized.)
>>
>>70352528
Yeah, he was better off not being in the film at all.

But if you had to keep him, another option might be to have him double-cross the empire and turn anti-hero for the rebellion. He WAS a mercenary after all...

It would sort of be like Lando in reverse, or just like Han in ANH. Pure pottery.
>>
>>70352678
fuck off
romance and dialouge in AOTS is sheksperian
>>
>>70352669
If they had kept the film as-is, but scrapped Jar-Jar it would have been a perfectly great Star Wars movie.

If they had kept Jar-Jar, but instead aged-up Anakin to be a Luke-aged late teenager with Luke's angst and ANH Han's cockiness/cynicism(basically a podracing space-greaser scoundrel), and left the rest of the plot as-is, it would have been ANH-good.
>>
File: phm.jpg (2 MB, 4480x1142) Image search: [Google]
phm.jpg
2 MB, 4480x1142
When are you going to admit that The Phantom Menace is pure kino?
>>
>>70352824
Yes, starting up with a teen Anakin could have been better.

>But what about the full circle of Anakin's journey from childhood to death?
Make a spinoff cartoon series about kid Anakin.
>>
File: yuck.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
yuck.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>70352897
I already know it is.
>>
>>70351518
When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.
When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.
>>
>>70351518

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE FORCE AWAKENS IS KINO
>>
>>70352998
The loss of child Anakin would more than be made up for by the parallels and divergences between Anakin and Luke's upbringings/implied childhoods and the people that it respectively led them to be, from a storytelling point of view.

Not to mention that the TPM/AOTC romance can now echo Han and Leia in TESB, which makes the sweetness of the unlikely courtship between the cocky scoundrel and the the independent, proper Queen carry that much more sadness and weight, since you know how badly it all ends up going.
>>
>>70353105
WELL THEN, YOU ARE LOST
>>
File: 1464694221067.jpg (20 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1464694221067.jpg
20 KB, 720x480
>>70353105
>>
File: fixed.jpg (799 KB, 2780x1564) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
799 KB, 2780x1564
>>70351518
fixed that for you
>>
>>70354137
It's the final product that matters.
>>
>>70354137
Something something "Reddit" something...
>>
>>70351682
VI is a far superior film, but I prefer III in all honesty
>>
>>70352657
I hope you're serious, I want to see more rankings like yours

IV>V>III>VI>VII>I=II
>>
>>70351518
Attack of the Clones was better, and RotS is only barely better than TPM
>>
>>70354165
the final product was still shit, tho
>>
>>70354415
Then why did it need to have all the digitally inserted elements removed to be mocked?
>>
CGI shots always look good when they're that small.
>>
File: 上海正午.jpg (4 MB, 2666x1512) Image search: [Google]
上海正午.jpg
4 MB, 2666x1512
proper kino coming through
>>
>>70351682
>It's better than VI, but worse than V.

False. In fact, III is the worst SW movie.

IV > V > VI > I > II > III

And that's the objective truth. Before anyone says V is better than IV, it's not. V doesn't make any fucking sense unless you've seen IV first. IV stands on its own which is why it's the best.
>>
>>70354771
What mvoie? Looks sick.
>>
It looks like a high budget FMV game.
>>
>>70354855
上海正午

Can't you read?
>>
File: dr maul i'm master kenobi.jpg (510 KB, 990x437) Image search: [Google]
dr maul i'm master kenobi.jpg
510 KB, 990x437
>>70353117
Now that you mention it, some legit poetry could have gone down with divergences between Anakin and Luke's childhoods. Anakin being an angsty, cynical slave kid who engages in dark humor and tries to bring levity to bad situations would've been dang cool.
>>
>>70354137
*tips*
>>
>>70355461
Yeah, teenage Anakin as a darkly cynical Han/Luke hybrid could have been GOAT, and it would have made Vader's moments of sass and dark humor:
>the emperor is not as forgiving as I am
Come across as being that much more sad and poignant, since we had seen Anakin as a cocky, happily dark wisecracker like Han, and those little moments in the OT with Vader acting brash or showing his black sense of humor would now serve as reminders that deep under the armor, scarring, and hatred, bits of the old Anakin were still there.
>>
File: Sebastian_shaw_1979.jpg (22 KB, 220x237) Image search: [Google]
Sebastian_shaw_1979.jpg
22 KB, 220x237
>>70356643
Also, it would have made the casting of Sebastian Shaw as old Anakin/Vader work even better, since the PT would now leave you the sense that were Anakin to have lived on as Anakin, he would have turned into a handsome, wry, and charismatic old silver fox in the vein of Roger Moore, and Shaw's Vader (and all 5 seconds of his Anakin force ghost) always left me with the sense that in another life he would have been just that.

Pic related.
>>
V>IV>shit>VI>III>VII>I>II
>>
>>70356886
Actually, Roger Moore would have been a GOAT casting choice for ROTJ Vader/Anakin.
>>
File: 1446297064123.jpg (17 KB, 541x559) Image search: [Google]
1446297064123.jpg
17 KB, 541x559
>>70356643
There are actually plenty of Vader lines could be interpreted as dark humor and sarcasm.

>"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
>"I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."
>>
>pretty images
>instantly good movie

are you 15
>>
File: 1429284181382.jpg (204 KB, 1920x818) Image search: [Google]
1429284181382.jpg
204 KB, 1920x818
>>70357088
It IS a visual medium. Looking good is important.
>>
>>70356959
>VII>I>II

Now let's be serious, shall we. The prequels, even at their worst, combined Ewan MacGregor, Hershlag, Liam Neeson, and based Ian McDiarmid, along with Samuel L. Jackson, to boot.

VII had a sweaty, hyperventilating gorilla, a Jabberwock LARPer, Darth Schoolshooterus, a taxidermied Harrison Ford, and your chain-smoking great aunt.

The only good actor in it was Oscar Isaac, and he barely had 10 minutes of screen time.

I'm sorry, but
>"Star Wars" VII: The [iO9/Reddit/Tumblr] Fanservice Awakens
makes even the stilted acting, cardboard sets, and SquareSoft FMV CGI of AoTC look like some sort of inspired masterpiece by comparison.
>>
>>70357053
Yeah, I was too lazy to look up the rest of them, but they're peppered throughout the OT.

I'd also argue that Vader's increasingly caustic frustration with his captains and admirals in TESB eerily mirrors Han's similarly escalating frustration with C-3PO in the movie.
>>
>>70357232
but if shiny images are only thing your movie has going for it is not good. the visual effect artists etc did a great job but the director & writer didn't

go watch videogame cut scenes if you think thats what makes a good movie
>>
Imagine what lucas could do with modern cgi
you guys better apologize
>>
File: lukecloudcity.jpg (249 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
lukecloudcity.jpg
249 KB, 1600x1200
>>70357443
I was joking about ROTS looking good.

However, being shot and lit well is key to someone's enjoyment of a movie. As an example, everyone hates shaky-cam fight scenes, because they look like garbage. People like wide shot fight scenes, because they can actually see what's going on.
>>
>>70357580
Hell, Episode I was an LOTR-esque blending of heavy practical effects and judicious CGI only when it was absolutely necessary.

I'd argue that to this day, it's still the best LOOKING of the Star Wars films, and one of the best looking sci-fi/fantasy films of all time (right up there with Fellowship or The Two Towers)
>>
>>70354771
>>70354855
It's Shanghai Noon, which IS actually kino
>>
File: 083.png (186 KB, 457x303) Image search: [Google]
083.png
186 KB, 457x303
>>70351897
>Reality
>V>power gap>IV>I=III=VI>II>power gap>VII

>What could have been
>VI=I>V=III>II=IV>power gap>VII

Mah fucking nigga
>>
File: reyfinn.jpg (144 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
reyfinn.jpg
144 KB, 1200x800
>>70351682
>>70352657
>>70354827

Are the disney shills all gone?

Can we finally discuss Star Wars tier lists in peace without including the abomination that is VII?

IV>III>VI>V>I>>>II
>>
>>70351939
The tattooine scenes in return are amazing though.
>>
File: TheDeathofAgenKolar.jpg (982 KB, 1280x816) Image search: [Google]
TheDeathofAgenKolar.jpg
982 KB, 1280x816
Best tier list incoming

IV = V > POWER GAP > VI > POWER GAP > I > III > II
>>
>>70359872
This is the closest I have yet seen to my taste in the films. Return is the shit. It's the showdown we all wanted, ewoks yeah sure whatever, but a pretty fun space battle and a satisfying conclusion to the skywalker story line that didn't involve a frilly, pointless lightsaber battle that lasted half an hour
>>
>>70359872
V > !V > III > I > VI > II > VII
>>
>>70359872
>>70360378

IV≈V>I≈VI>III>II>POWER GAP>VII
>>
File: sheev 2.jpg (26 KB, 600x307) Image search: [Google]
sheev 2.jpg
26 KB, 600x307
>>70360290
Return has some of the best scenes in all of Star Wars (the throne room confrontation), but it's bogged down by its slumping middle half and overly drawn-out beginning. If those were tweaked, I feel like it would be a lot closer to IV and V in quality. I still enjoy it a lot.
>>
>>70359872
>sheev's head
>>
>>70360512
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-03-24-15h26m31s112.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-03-24-15h26m31s112.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>70360442
V > IV > I=VI >> II > III >>> VII

VII was so darn dull I barely remember anything from the story and the only shot that stayed with me is pic.
>>
>>70360445
i always think "man the first act of ROTJ drags" but when i watch it i'm entertained throughout and always find something neat to see in the background i never noticed before
>>
>>70360442
Jesus fucking christ end yourself you underage faggot.

Its a pathetic reminder that /tv/ actually has this caliber of pleb. People so fucking incapable of taking off their nostalgiaglasses.

>>70359872
This is the proper rating.
>>
File: joh_yowza_jedi_rocks.png (622 KB, 910x546) Image search: [Google]
joh_yowza_jedi_rocks.png
622 KB, 910x546
>>70360656
I like that way of looking at it. Next time I watch Return I'll be paying attention to the background.

...Glad I have the old VHS tapes and don't have to sit through Jedi Rocks.
>>
>>70351682
anyone who says the prequels are better than an OT movie is immediately discredited, but the prequels are also not as awful as memers make them out to be.

The prequels are in a sense designed to disgust the viewers, we look at Anakin, the heroic warrior and see him as a whiny teenager, we see Amidala, the nurturer from the planet called fucking NABOO (the name of a babylonian goddess of wisdom and motherhood) as a cold and lifeless character. We see the Jedi make poor decision after poor decision. The prequels are supposed to show us a society in its fall before its winter comes in the form of the Empire. We are shown why the Republic was destined to have an empire, why its people were so desperate to escape what is presented in the OT as a paradise lost. It's a mixture of the highest, most transcendent art alongside the crassest, basest sentimentality. Yes, there are a lot of toys being sold here too, but George did have a bigger picture in mind.

It's just that the bigger picture pissed off his fanboys because it was not at all in line with expectations and went beyond the simplicity offered to us by the OT. The OT was like lord of the rings in a sense, it hearkened back to Christian sensibilities and ideals, loyalty, redemption, ect. The prequels reflect a darker vision, that these ideals are destined to die as with all other things.
>>
>>70360897
That's an interesting interpretation, I just don't know if I can get behind it. Every one of those terrible scenes in the prequels seemed doggedly sincere to me, and to me it seems like pure coincidence that you're able to derive a vision of decay and societal contrast from those movies.
>>
>>70361206
Oh don't get me wrong, I think that most of it can be chalked up to George's daimon leading him into it. There are clear areas where George is intending it though. I wish that Sheev played choragus a little more at the end though, he should have had more of a war of words with Yoda that clued the viewer in to the fact that the movies were self aware to an extent, that Sheev knew that it was all form and no function, that there was no longer a face behind the mask of civilization, that nihilism had already triumphed and Sheev was merely knocking down a rotten house to pave the way for something new.

I think that the entire point should have been that towards the end of a civilization, after 1,000 years of peace, men no longer know how to be men and as such women forget how to be women and from there the entire society begins to unravel. Sheev shouldn't have been presented as a Satanic figure but instead as a more primal force.
>>
>>70361510
I can actually think of one line in particular that supports your theory.

>"So this is how liberty dies: With thunderous applause."

If I ever re-watch the PT I'll try to spot that stuff.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.