[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roots Livethread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: roots-2-800.jpg (234 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
roots-2-800.jpg
234 KB, 800x600
Chicken George today. How does the reboot compare to the original? I've never seen it.
>>
>>70330421
>How does the reboot compare to the original? I've never seen it.
The first one was a television event. It was the first miniseries ever made, and iirc they either planned to air it on a day most of the country was home, or there was like a snow storm or something that kept everybody inside. In any case that coupled with the fact that there were only like 5 channels at the time gave it a much larger built in audience and put way more eyeballs on it than you have today with so many other things competing for attention.

Also America hadn't been inundated by black history yet at that point in history. The show was really shocking because at the time most Americans honestly hadn't heard anything about it. By comparison the reboot seems tired and almost cliche. It's literally just the same story being rehashed. We're much more open about talking about race and our history with it now, so it really seems unnecessary.
>>
>>70330772
i fucked up
>>
>>70330731
>The first one was a television event. It was the first miniseries ever made, and iirc they either planned to air it on a day most of the country was home, or there was like a snow storm or something that kept everybody inside. In any case that coupled with the fact that there were only like 5 channels at the time gave it a much larger built in audience and put way more eyeballs on it than you have today with so many other things competing for attention.

You know it aired in 1977, right?
>>
>Irish dude complaining about some white guy looking down on him
>Doesn't realize the irony of himself doing this to his slaves
WEW LAD. Just as bad as the black people who hate gays
>>
>>70331305
The funny part is that Irish people always try to argue about how badly they were treated, and that they were slaves too.
The most wicked white men in this show have all been Irish.
>>
So are there only like 3 people watching this right now? I came here just to see what you guys were saying about it and everything on this board is just talking about old movies and shitposting tits. Do you guys not actually watch television?
>>
>>70331471
A lot of people were watching it the first day, I don't know what happened.
>>
>>70331471
No, 4chan is racist so they refuse to talk about it for some reason. Each thread there is spiel about "white guilt" as if the posters in here have ever owned slaves and this show applies to them. It's kind of sad but such is life.
>>
>>70331808
I don't know why white people think we want them to feel guilty.
>>
>>70331426
>The most wicked white men in this show have all been Irish.
Because black Americans are outraged to discover their story ain't that unique and racism exists outside the white-black dichotomy, so black and extreme left academics go a long way to downplay Irish persecution if not dismissing it outright, which has started to become reflected in popular media.

Also, Roots is entirely fiction. The writer got into a shitload of trouble for trying to pass the original off as an entirely non-fiction work.
>>
>>70331978
But Irish persecution hasn't been dismissed, are you not watching the current episode?
And Roots is not entirely fiction, Alex Haley did not get into "a shitload of trouble".
He got sued by one guy over bullshit.
>>
>>70331471
No one on /tv/ actually watches things
it's just people arguing back and forth over biased clickbait articles and trying to frame it into larger narratives of race and culture
>>
>>70332107
>But Irish persecution hasn't been dismissed, are you not watching the current episode?

It's brought up to -be- dismissed as irrelevant.

>And Roots is not entirely fiction, Alex Haley did not get into "a shitload of trouble"
Yes it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots:_The_Saga_of_an_American_Family#Historical_accuracy

It's from one length to the other a fiction.

And he got sued by one guy whose case was so solid the presiding judge called Haley a 'hoaxer' that had taken everyone for a ride. Alex Haley wrote a plagiarized piece of fiction and tried to pass it off as both original work and historical fact.

The dude was a hack.
>>
Jeuss Christ did shit like this actually happen in America only a couple of centuries ago?

No wonder Black America is fucked
>>
>>70332635
Yeah, it was.
People like you is why they rebooted Roots.
>>
>>70331510
White fragility. All they see is shit which makes them feel bad about themselves. No one can put themselves in an empathetic position with a black protagonist. Which is sad because there's plenty to empathize about, in nature though not in magnitude.
>>
>>70331962
The alternative is feeling white "shit I need to do something" and that is soul-destroying.
>>
>>70332751
>white fragility
Get back to me when whites have university degrees devoted to their victim complex.
>>
>>70332787
soul-destroying? You don't think that's a bit dramatic?
>>
>>70332842
You mean 85% of social science majors?
>>
>>70332842
>I've never heard of Jim Crow
>>
>>70332635
>couple of centuries

Try a little over 1 and the margin shrinks to 60 years as the story progresses, just head over to pol and see how they're still angry at blacks for being free. Its a fresh wound but whites try and do everything they can to make it seem like ancient history
>>
>>70332842
Psychology. "I'm so rich that I don't have any friends and it's driving me towards a nervous breakdown." It's been known for years now that the answer to mental illness not caused by chemical imbalances is a good social support system.

Also, it's not a victim complex when you're actually victim.
>>
>>70332907
White people in this country would rather move towards a second civil war than fix their police departments and social welfare system. Dramatic? Sure. I wish.
>>
>>70333371
God, you're right.
Continue?
>>
WE WUZ KANGS OF CHIKUN
>>
File: 1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a[1].png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a[1].png
29 KB, 633x758
>You're free
>Lol jk

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, this shit just upsets my soul
>>
>White people in this country would still do this if they could
I don't trust anyone who hasn't reckoned with the fact that they would have.
>>
File: 1464315866128.png (259 KB, 622x677) Image search: [Google]
1464315866128.png
259 KB, 622x677
>>70333371
The broken police and welfare system effects whites just as much as it does blacks, but racists like you don't see that and keep fueling racial tension by painting it as black versus white instead rich versus poor and so keep the underclasses divided against each other and of preventing an actual solution.
>>
>>70333849
>You're free
>No wait, someone picked on me for being Irish again BETTER GAMBLE AWAY MORE THAN I GOT AND THEN SELL OFF MY SON
>THAT'LL SHOW THEM
>>
>>70333979
>White people in this country would still do this if they could
And yet half the country at the time didn't, and abhorred slavery.
>>
>>70334553
this nigga knows what's up
>>
>>70334553
>The broken police and welfare system effects whites just as much as it does blacks
That's a funny joke.

You know, the only thing that needs to happen to avoid the racial division is for white people to accept that they're wrong. It's an ego sacrifice for a material gain. The sacrifice would not be the same on the other side, as we've seen.
>>
>>70334642
That's not how it worked. Abolitionism was closer to mincome than climate change for years.
>>
>>70334842
You can at least try to be subtle you silly goose
>>
>>70334885
>He thinks it's a ruse
You desperate kid.
>>
>>70330421

A glib facsimile.
>>
>>70334842
And this is the racism that I'm talking about, it was and still is the economic elite that are at fault, not White people as a whole. The vast majority of white were not responsible for slavery nor did they even benefit from it, in fact iit significantly hurt them economically, so it is a racist absurdity to expect them to prostate themselves to blacks for crimes they did not commit.
>>
File: HOW DID I GET HERE.gif (1005 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
HOW DID I GET HERE.gif
1005 KB, 500x333
>>70335037
>>
>>70335079
You live in a democracy. You elect the people who make the laws. If you wanted to change something you could and would. White people took away and gave back the right to get drunk off their ass before they guaranteed the right for black people to vote. I offer this as an example of our fucked up priorities.

It's not racism to talk about our history in all its stark ugliness. Not 60 years ago a transportation bureaucrat explicitly said that the interstates were to be built so as to break up "niggertowns." It's fucking deliberate.
>>
>>70335079

The ultimate irony is that black people demand white people pay for crimes they didn't commit all while refusing to admit wrongdoing in crimes they have commited.
>>
Alt universe crossover with Levar Knta when?
>>
File: med_1459542089_image[1].jpg (21 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
med_1459542089_image[1].jpg
21 KB, 640x360
WHERE'S MY ICONIC SLAVE ROLE
>>
>>70331426
>TV shows are real life

Kill yourself.
>>
>>70333202

There isn't a single African Studies major who was also a victim of slavery. Modern racism amounts to name calling. Grow thicker skin.
>>
>>70334842
>I have the solution to our problem!
>no it's not mutual understanding followed by compromise, don't be silly
>you just have to admit you're entirely at fault!

You realize how fucking retarded you sound right?
>>
>>70331305

The white people who are the most racist are always the poorest, least educated, most marginalized white people.

Because they can say to themselves, "At least I'm not one of *them*"
>>
>>70335420

The only thing that needs to change is the shitty entitled attitude of liberals. Oh and we need to burn down the Federal Reserve. I can't vote on either of those things though. Would if I could.
>>
>>70334553
>The broken police and welfare system effects whites just as much as it does blacks

Not yet it doesn't.

We'll know it when politicians are really up in arms about it. Like they are with heroin, which white people didn't give a fuck about until white people discovered it actually is addictive and you don't have to be a stupid lazy black from the inner city to get hooked on it.

Or weed. Oh man, watching white people fighting for the legalization of marijuana is just hilarious on so many levels.
>>
>>70335420
We live in a plutocracy, not a democracy, where the economic elites heavily influence policies and constantly push divide and conquer tactics to keep the lower classes fighting each other.
>>
>>70336254

Except that's not true at all
>>
>>70335079
>And this is the racism that I'm talking about, it was and still is the economic elite that are at fault, not White people as a whole. The vast majority of white were not responsible for slavery nor did they even benefit from it, in fact iit significantly hurt them economically, so it is a racist absurdity to expect them to prostate themselves to blacks for crimes they did not commit.

You can't look at US slavery as a purely economic thing because it wasn't. There was a deeply ingrained racist element to it.

Even if you were a free black person, you were seen as sub human. It wasn't about being a slave. It was about being black.

Black people were slaves, not just because it was economically feasible, but because they were considered to be lower beings.

And this view wasn't only condoned by the wealthy elite.
>>
>>70336482
>Except that's not true at all

It's okay Bubba Joe. We all know you good ol' boys aren't really racist.
>>
>>70336408
>Not yet it doesn't.
Oh it most definitely has, and the whole heroin "epidemic" is nothing but a fraud to crack down on legal opiods and punish those who need them.
>>
>>70336625

Careful anon, I doubt /tv/ can handle this much redpill.
>>
>>70336625
>whole heroin "epidemic" is nothing but a fraud to crack down on legal opiods and punish those who need them.

With impassioned please for action, blaming big pharma, calls for empathy, and total rejection of the "get tough on drugs/just say no/only stupid poor people do drugs demonetization" of earlier times.
>>
>>70336557
>And this view wasn't only condoned by the wealthy elite
But it was most certainly pushed by them, it kept the poor whites and blacks divided and inhibited them from working together and finally overthrowing the economic elites..
>>70336829
Using subtler tactics does not change the fact that the campaign is very harmful to the poor who need pain medication.
>>
>>70335646
Warp speed don't rainbow read me nigga!
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.