[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes his films so good? What is so stand-outish about him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: 1458481983795.jpg (130 KB, 1256x919) Image search: [Google]
1458481983795.jpg
130 KB, 1256x919
What makes his films so good? What is so stand-outish about him?
>>
His sincerity.

Coincidentally, Tommy Wiseau has a lot of sincerity, too. Sincere artists always garner a following.

Also, he's a clever writer and understands the emotional gravity of a scene when directing.
>>
File: 1267671515856654.gif (443 KB, 200x112) Image search: [Google]
1267671515856654.gif
443 KB, 200x112
>>70186960
>His sincerity.
how do you know he's sincere?

>Coincidentally, Tommy Wiseau has a lot of sincerity, too.
congrats for destroying your own argument

>Sincere artists always garner a following.
OP's question was about movie quality

>Also, he's a clever writer
how?

>and understands the emotional gravity of a scene
how?

>when directing.
congrats the last word of your post is actually where your answer should have begun but you probably have no idea what directing is about in the first place

/tv/ in a nutshell

and yes I'm mad
>>
>>70188088
Retard, art is intuitive, if you don't know what I'm talking about its probably why you're not an auteur
>>
Pace & the T A N G I B I L I T Y of his shots.
>>
his entire filmography is 100% comfy
>>
>>70188088
Dude you won't get very far trying to rationalize "artistic cinema", you can't break it down and analyze it under the usual formula because it's not a by-the-numbers hollywood flick.
>>
File: Modern_13a94e_5489266.jpg (32 KB, 640x476) Image search: [Google]
Modern_13a94e_5489266.jpg
32 KB, 640x476
>>70188236
>art is intuitive
brainfarts like this have allowed fucking parasites to make "art" for the last 50 years

also if you actually had read about the auteur theory you'd know there's nothing intuitive about it

there's nothing intuitive and subjective about art, if you can't play the guitar you can't play the guitar
>>
>>70188597
yes you can, theorists and filmmakers have been doing it since the beginning of cinema

and I really don't see the connection with Hollywood flicks, where the fuck did it come from?
>>
>>70188613
>there's nothing intuitive and subjective about art
Care to elaborate? Can 8½ be objectively better than Citizen Kane or vice-versa?

>>70188916
I just thought you were trying to analyze it while using irrelevant criteria to this type of film, like plot progression, character development etc...
If you weren't, then i'd love to hear your thoughts on him
>>
File: deleuze.jpg (19 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
deleuze.jpg
19 KB, 500x386
>>70188542
TIME-IMAGE
I
M
E
-
I
M
A
G
E
>>
he's boring and makes movies that people have to say they enjoy otherwise people who wear glasses and scarves yearround might think you're stupid
>>
>>70190823
I wear cargo shorts and socks with sandals and I think you're stupid.
>>
File: watermellun.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
watermellun.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
Tarkovsky's films have a deeply spiritual and poetic subtext and deal with questions of mortality, existential anguish and faith. The subjects of his films are often singular individuals on a search for purpose. Though his films contain recurring imagery (horses, spilled milk, running/flowing water), they are not merely symbols but images unto themselves. It's no wonder that Tarkovsky was a lover of Japanese poetry and his films, like the haiku, finds beauty in things as they are or in how they are juxtaposed with each other or the world. Tarkovsky's aesthetic system, complimented by an unusually rich cinematography, is one that refocuses film as a medium to reach out and touch the deepest part of us that makes us human.
>>
>>70188236
kill yourself you fedora wearing niglet
>>
>>70186866
He's former Navy and a private investigator living on Robins estate in Hawaii while making film. Pretty impressive. Also drives a Ferrari and has a friend that owns a bar and another that flies a helicopter.
>>
>>70188613
>there's nothing intuitive and subjective about art, if you can't play the guitar you can't play the guitar
You're mistaking quality for competence.
>>
Should I start with Stalker or Solaris?
>>
>>70199639

Solaris is watchable. Stalker is good if you have insomnia and really need to just go to sleep.
>>
>>70199639
This guy >>70199993 is a pleb, but you should start with Ivans Childhood, and go through his films chronologically
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.