[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moonrise Kingdom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: MOONRISE-KINGDOM-POSTER-1.jpg (2 MB, 2026x3001) Image search: [Google]
MOONRISE-KINGDOM-POSTER-1.jpg
2 MB, 2026x3001
Just watched this last night, the only film of Wes Anderson's I've seen so far.
Are all his films this amazing? The style in this film is so distinct and surreal

Moonrise Kingdom and Wes Anderson discussion thread
>>
>>62734567

I think Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums are his best movies. I liked Moonrise, didn't think it was "amazing" though. Royal Tenenbaums on the other hand is amazing and deeply moving.
>>
Did you get a boner?
>>
File: SUZY, THE 'RAVER'.gif (170 KB, 752x471) Image search: [Google]
SUZY, THE 'RAVER'.gif
170 KB, 752x471
>>62734567
>Are all his films this amazing?

1. DEFINE "AMAZING".

2. YOU MEAN "MOVIES", NOT "FILMS"; "FILM" IS CELLULOID; A MATERIAL.

>The style in [SIC] this ["MOVIE"] is so distinct and surreal[.]

"MOONRISE KINGDOM" IS THE "MOVIE" WITH WHICH WES ANDERSON'S AESTHETIC STYLE REACHED ITS EPITOME, AND THEREFORE IT IS THE "MOVIE" WHICH BETTER SHOWCASES HIS STYLE; "MOONRISE KINGDOM" IS WES ANDERSON'S AESTHETIC PARAGON, ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT HIS BEST "MOVIE".
>>
Moonrise Kingdom is probably his worst film so far. The only other film I can think of that is just as bad of his, if not worse, is Fantastic Mr. Fox.
>>
>>62734680
>movies

you mean talkies you retard they have audio
>>
File: LNTNZR IS EVI LNTNZR IS EVI.gif (129 KB, 502x401) Image search: [Google]
LNTNZR IS EVI LNTNZR IS EVI.gif
129 KB, 502x401
>>62734680
I'm glad you're shitposting again, I missed your autistic all caps posts in Wes Anderson and Haneke threads.
>>
>>62734618
Almost. How old is she IRL?
>>
>>62734567
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
>>
>>62734567
He's got pretty much the same style throughout.

Check Grand Budapest Hotel, which is him basically taking his style and bumping it to 11.
>>
File: SUZY.gif (76 KB, 312x474) Image search: [Google]
SUZY.gif
76 KB, 312x474
>>62734703

THE MOST ACCURATE TERM IS "AUDIOVISUAL SEQUENCE", BUT I WOULD ONLY USE THAT IN A FORMAL DISCUSSION WITH, OR AMONG, MY EQUALS —PERSONS WHO THINK LIKE MYSELF, AND WHO WOULD IMMEDIATELY COMPREHEND THE RELATIVELY UNUSUAL TERMS THAT I WOULD USE.
>>
>>62734567
Aah, I remember when moonrise kingdom was the only wes anderson film i'd seen too
I was so hopeful. In my head he was the next kubrick

What a letdown it was to discover that once you've seen one of his films, you've seen them all
The constant forced symmetry for the first 20 minutes of grand budapest hotel almost made me switch it off in horror
>>
File: 1350071254662.jpg (533 KB, 1280x696) Image search: [Google]
1350071254662.jpg
533 KB, 1280x696
>>62734618
>>
>>62734567
this is one of my fav movies. Wes Anderson's style is very surreal
>>
>>62735153
>Wes Anderson's style is very surreal[.]

NO, IT IS NOT SURREAL AT ALL.
>>
>>62734567
I bet you enjoy the films of wes anderson
>>
Wes Anderson thread? Just finished marathoning Bottle Rocket - is it any good?
>>
File: 16p1z.gif (2 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
16p1z.gif
2 MB, 360x240
>>
File: k.gif (315 KB, 500x266) Image search: [Google]
k.gif
315 KB, 500x266
>>62735181
its so fun to watch, the color correction and filters are so nice
>>62734748
13 at time of film.
rn 16
>>
>>62735252
>its so fun to watch, the color correction and filters are so nice[.]

AND?
>>
>>62735252
She honestly wasn't as good an actor as the rest of the children in this movie
>>
>>62735319
the boy (jared gilman) had some tough times delivering lines, almost mumbling
>>
>>62734567
I dont really care much for his movies although I did like rushmore, moonrise kingdom and grand budapest hotel
>>
>>62734693
Ahem...
Tenenbaums>Budapest>Zissou>Moonrise>Mr. Fox>Rushmore>Bottle Rocket>Darjeeling
>>
>>62735351
I watch with captions on always, so if that's true I didn't notice it. I thought he did really well - being a child actor is hard enough, but having to perform this surreal, straightforward character while still being funny is a whole other level. I thought he pulled it off great though.
>>
>>62734567

they're children's films
you're a child
enjoy
>>
I've seen all his films except for Bottle Rocket. I feel like most of them are just cute trash except for Moonrise and Budapest in which cases I feel like he finally came into his own as a film maker.

After those two I'd say Life Aquatic is his best.
>>
>>62735741
>cute trash

If any of his movies would fit the description of "cute trash" Moonrise, and Budapest would be more apt for it than any other.
>>
>>62735924
Nope. All his movies before those two came off as way too personal with not nearly enough self-awareness. Like, I get it Anderson, your parents divorced and you're a well off privileged quirky white guy, you're not making that very interesting tho.
>>
>>62735741
>>62736031
posts like this is why we need a shitpositng general thread.
>>
>>62736947
y u mad bro
>>
>>62736974
Because I think Rushmore and TRT are his best movies, while Budapest is on the lower end.

Moonrise was pretty good.
>>
Grand Budapest Hotel was pretty great
>>
Its time to fuck off reddit

Bottle Rocket > Life Aquatic > Rushmore = Tenenbaums = Darjeeling

everything else is light afternoon watch tier. Whimsical blockbusters.
>>
File: 1446227064941.jpg (42 KB, 352x289) Image search: [Google]
1446227064941.jpg
42 KB, 352x289
>>62737037
just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't make it shit posting, anon

rushmore is one of his worst imo
>>
>>62737102
Life Aquatic = Tenenbaums > Darjeeling > Moonrise Kingdom > Grand Budapest > Rushmore > Bottle Rocket

I own all of anderson's films except fantastic mr. fox on Criterion bluray, therefore my opinion has the most merit.
>>
>>62737141
If bottle rocket is your least favorite wes film you just don't get wes
>>
>>62737169
It's hardly my 'least favourite'. And I've only seen it once, and very recently. I have no doubt it will be a bit higher upon further reflection. The last half of Bottle Rocket is great though. I got major Djarleeing vibes from it.

I'm a huge anderson fan, and love all of his movies to death.
>>
>>62737106
Fair enough. I was triggered and initially lashed out with rage. I can respect your opinion. Why do you think it's one of his worst?
>>
>>62737291
not him, but the reason I don't like rushmore too much, is I think the plot is kind of dumb. the whole teenage in love with his teacher really made me cringe. the ending is really satisfying at least.
>>
>>62737334
But it makes sense because the protagonist believes that he is older than his actual age. With that mindset, it makes sense that he would lust after someone older than himself.
>>
>>62737334
>>62737404
The joke is that Max fancies himself an adult but is borderline autistic with romance and love and has a juvenile understanding of it. He's a hypocrite. And Herman pretends to be a father figure but they're competing like brothers.
>>
>>62737291
>Why do you think it's one of his worst?
Because I don't like Wes Anderson or what he feels he has to say with his films. The whole "quirky main character who is just 2quirky4everyone around him" or "depressed quirky older white people who are just too fed up with their nice simple lives" crap doesn't really do it for me.

So I like his last two because they feel the most like he's just doing something interesting, story-wise, with his style. Which I can get behind since I always disliked his characters and stories, not his style.

But like, it's just my opinion and I hardly "hate" his early movies like some people on here do.
>>
>>62737445
Try bottle rocket. It lacks the precocious "too hip for school" attitude rushmore and life aquatic have. In fact it's the opposite of "old and sad", it's more about young people who don't know what to do with their lives trying to recapture the feeling of childhood.
>>
>>62737404
what are you talking about. are you referring to some throwaway line of dialgoue where he says how he's more mature for his age or something.

cus he's still a kid, thatsomuch is very evident, with the teenage awkwardness around people, his youthful creativity, and his actions towards people when he's upset. what kind of adult slashes tires and crap?

and lets be fair about another thing, anderson's characters are so whismical and unrealistic as it is, it's not right to view any of his movies with a mindset going in that people should act 'older then their age' or whatever you're saying.

just look at the kids from moonrise kingdom. who the fuck acts like that? no one. there's so many lines of dialogue that make zero sense, but we take it for granted because its a very unrealistic take on people. kind of like, some warped reality that takes place in wes anderson's head.
>>
>>62737488
Maybe I will. Does it have themes about divorce and a le quirky family dynamic?
>>
It's funny, after I watched bottle rocket for the first time a few weeks ago, I never actually took even one minute to sit down and actually think about what I watched. I think (owen) wilson's character in bottle rocket is probably my favourite character in any anderson movie. and the relationship between the 3 guys is just great. it feels a bit more interesting then the 3 brothers in djarleeing. i really REALLY wish robert musgrave was in more anderson movies. it's a tragedy that he wasn't cast in more roles in his movies, even if it would be some typecast sort of role, kinda like dafoe is now.
>>
>>62737547
Nope! Only characters are two friends and their idiot half friend they drag along.

The movie is about them robbing a bookstore and going on the lam. They think they're gonna be chased by police, but nothing happens until the end. The last 20 or so minutes are amazing.
>>
>>62737603
Oh ok. I'll watch it then. Thank you, anon
>>
>>62737640
I also want to add that the film is way more light hearted and sweet than anything else he's made. And the sadness is very subtle and in the background, but it's sort of present. Not in your face at all.
>>
>>62737700
Weren't his last two pretty light hearted? Like, other than the girl's parents in moonrise and the ending to Budapest they seemed way lighter than his others.
>>
>>62734567
Budapest is better. Then Rushmore.
>>
>>62734567

I've been watching all of his films for the first time over the last week.

They're not all as AMAZING but they're all something unique. He has a style that isn't really seen elsewhere but they're not all masterpieces.

Darjeeling kinda sucked in my opinion that's the one I just finished right now. But what do I know because I absolutely LOVED The Life Aquatic and everyone considers that his worst.
>>
girl is a mess now
>>
Just finished watching Budapest. Immediately struck me as his best work.
>>
>>62734567
They are all great. Bottle Rocket is my personal favorite.
>>
>>62740330
I'm with you there
Then life aquatic
but I do like all his stuff quite alot
>>
>>62737963
>everyone considers that his worst
Breaking news: The majority of people are plebs
Grand Budapest is his worst
>>
>>62734567
If you like the style, then you'll like the rest of his films. This and Budapest is definitely a tie for favorite, although Fantastic Mr. Fox is probably one of my favorite animated movies.
>>
>>62740369
This desu
>>
>yfw you find out Wes Anderson is not British

what a mindfuck
>>
>>62740385

Life Aquatic happens to be my second favorite as well. We have good taste, anon.

Though I think I recognize Tenenbaums as the altogether better movie there's something about The Life Aquatic that gets me. I'd never say it's his best whereas I could definitely say Budapest is the best and likely my favorite.

It feels like the one that best encapsulates that Wes Anderson style since Tenenbaums and does an even better job at it to be honest.

What's funny is Wes is typically known for writing around his dreary dejected characters but in Budapest there aren't so much characters as there are caricatures but for some reason it works and makes for characters that are more fun and compelling than anything he's written before while still managing to carry a movie. Gustav had no reason to work as a character as well as he did but Fiennes is just that damn good. My favorite character in a long time.
>>
File: 68J94aVFiGo.jpg (80 KB, 500x577) Image search: [Google]
68J94aVFiGo.jpg
80 KB, 500x577
>>62734680
>studied film for one semester
>>
From a technical standpoint, Wes Anderson's films are very impressive. He has a real eye for how to compose a shot.

From a much more practical standpoint though his movies are mostly hipster garbage.
>>
>>62741532
He didn't study film; he watched audiovisual sequences.
>>
>>62735413
King autist right here.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.