[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At last, I have truly held The Door©. Cant believe people eat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 12
File: 42141412421.jpg (55 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
42141412421.jpg
55 KB, 670x377
At last, I have truly held The Door©.

Cant believe people eat this shit up.
>>
Well the average person isn't very intelligent, they just see drama and eat it up. You could kill off every single character and have the show be about ants trying to take the throne and they'd eat the shit up.

This entire episode was a mess of "No budget, we have no idea what GRRM told us, also Hodor's name started with a W, nah it can't be Wylis, it's totally Walder, like Walder Frey!" Also Hodor, I remember reading a thing n 08 about Hold the door, lets go with that, because the name Hodor couldn't possibly be taken from Hodur the Norse God of the Cold/Dark, that'd make too much sense where they're at and considering the White Walker. Also lol Summer is dead, Winter has come, even though Winter has been a thing in the books for ages now. Also remember the entire story about the First Men, the 4,000 year old Pact with the Children of the Forest and the 13th Night's Watch Commander, we sure don't!"

I bet GRRM is sitting there shaking his head and just being like, I might as well write about Dany shitting for entire book if this is what it takes to tell an apparent story, don't need any amount of tact whatsoever.
>>
>>69913825
>because the name Hodor couldn't possibly be taken from Hodur the Norse God of the Cold/Dark, that'd make too much sense

How in the fuck would real world mythology make sense in Westeros?
>>
>>69913943
What is an allusion?
>>
>>69914018

oh yeah, wow, because that would be so cool and make so much sense.
>>
>>69914120
Yes because an actual reference to a mythology is worse than time travel shenanigans and a simple Hold the Door brain frying right? I mean it wasn't the fact that Bran was constantly Warging into Hodor, it wasn't seeing people die and being forced to kill people that fried his brain further, it wasn't the War, it wasn't anything like that, no, it was literal time travel shenanigans to just "Hold the Door".

Yeah, you're right, that makes a lot more sense and is clearly a better story telling narrative by far.
>>
>>69914229
I'm OP and even I think you're a faggot
>>
>>69914229
>Yeah, you're right, that makes a lot more sense and is clearly a better story telling narrative by far.

I'm glad we agree and I'm also glad you're not a writer.
>>
>>69914258
You're clearly the very people you're complaining about then, considering you're eating this up.
>>69914269
I'm also glad you're not a writer then by any means. To hell with story telling, lets just toss time travel and other character destroying re-writes, storylines removed, etc. Gotta sell to that basic ass crowd. We'll seem deep and intricate.
>>
>>69914395

Haha, do you really believe alluding to norse mythology is story telling? I'm not even saying this was a good episode, I believe the writers are pretty bad.

I just think you have shitty ideas and an inflated ego,
>>
>>69913687
>being a contrarian for the sake of it
Is there anything more pathetic?
>>
File: 18148-13104.gif (52 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
18148-13104.gif
52 KB, 320x240
>>69913687
>Bran: "We have to break on through to the other side!"
>Meera: "Light my fire, they are the riders on the storm!"
>Three Eyed Raven: "The people are strange, this the end."

Fucking really, DnD?!
>>
>>69914472
It's sure as shit better than what we got because as least it's alluding to something that takes effort to actually research and know.

And it's not a shitty idea, it's pretty obvious that is where GRRM got the name Hodor from. He's not a masterful story teller either, he just has more tact and a better sense of it than D&D sure as shit do. Hell a 5 year old has better sense of it than D&D does, which isn't say much at all.
>>
>all my life I've been waiting for a door worth holding

wow I can't believe he actually said this
>>
>>69914562

Yes, I know. Lazy pointless allusions > story. We get it.
>>
Rofl at the morons disagreeing with this guy. He's right about the Norse mythology and right in everything else he writes. Go read a book, you uncultured swine.
>>
>>69914615
I wouldn't call what we got story, unless you count fanfic as legitimate story telling.
>>
>>69914638
allusions are boring and only exist as a circlejerk though

adds absolutely nothing to the story
>>
>>69914679

B-but they make me feel smart when no one else gets it and I do!
>>
People/wolves are being killed just for convenience so the plotlines are simpler and more tv friendly.
>>
>>69914648

Name one way that a connection between Hodor and Hodur would be meaningful
>>
>>69914734
Don't worry, we'll be killing Ghost and Nymeria off next episode too. We'll also have Euron meet Ddany in Ep. 7, and Ep. 8 she'll be in Westeros where her Dragons are killed. We'll also kill off the rest of the Lannisters and Tyrells in Ep. 9. Episode 10 is where things get crazy, Ramsay and the rest of the North all die, so that leaves the Night's Watch, Jon, Sansa, Littlefinger, Dany and Slaves, Arya, and the Sand Snakes. Which in Season 7, we'll kill off 5 of those people. By Season 8, it'll just be Jon, Dany, and the Nightwalkers, and we'll kill off all 3 of them. The last season, 9, will truly be a spectacle, it'll follow nothing and be 10 episodes of a black screen, just like the Sopranos finale. 10/10!
>>
>>69913825
So he's the bastard of Walder Frey who fucked a giant?
>>
>>69914648
I'm not going to bother arguing with you. I know that all I need to do to get you past your miasma of buzzwords and "Kultur" is to ask you one very simple question: if not this, then what? Don't say, "To answer that is D&D's job hurr, they get paid to do this" no, shut your fucking gob. Tell me how you would utilise your vaunted allusions and culture to enhance the story past what D&D have created. For the record, I loved Hodor's story, just like I've liked most stories D&D have put out (except the most egregiously bad), because I have not substituted borrowed ideas of good and bad for actual good taste.
>>
>>69914816
Bran is supposed to be the Loki, warging/tricking Hodor into doing things he doesn't want to do, which would eventually lead to the White Walkers and Winter, hence the whole God of Cold/Winter and Dark.

As opposed to Bran just touching a root and then warp gating to him in an instant. Hodor is supposed to be the catalyst for Bran to warg and trick into bringing about the White Walkers/Ragnarok essentially and the end of an age. It follows just along the story of Hodor being tricked by Loki to bring about Ragnarok. Because of this Hodor is reviled as the one who brought upon the Others and the Dark Cold, not Bran.
>>
did bran really tell hodor to hold the door knowing full well he'd die?

WHAT A CUNT
>>
>>69914953
Hodor's name in the books is Wylis, he is right on that. D&D probably couldn't be assed to actually just go to the wiki/reread the books and remember it, so they winged it. Ser Duncan the Tall is the likely candidate for Hodor's father.
>>69915058
Not him, but GRRM does take a lot from random ass mythologies all over the place and directly translate them into his stories, hell he even takes real world wars into account. Clash of Kings with the Stark vs. Lannisters is based on the War of the Roses with the Yorks vs. Lancasters.

He's really a bad author when you actually look at it and just takes a bunch of shit, tosses it together, and changes the names.
>>
>>69915155
I see. Undo, fucking reverse everything that the fat man and D&D have built up as Bran's character and story in order to fit your silly Nordic "allusions" and your misguided ideas of cultural heft.
>>
>>69915155

Not bad considering you had 10 minutes to come up with something, took a lot of reaching though.
>>
>>69914547
I hear they'll be a snow storm and a rider will come to rescue them. Possibly more than 1.
Wonder what Bran will say?
>>
>>69913825
No, a character being named after a Norse god in a setting where the Norse don't exist is retarded. Stop posting.
>>
>>69915460
>guys, I can't feel my legs!
>>
>>69915537

I was the one arguing with that guy, but I don't think he should stop posting.

I didn't agree with him, but he did foster discussion in a reasonably eloquent way which is more than most posters do.
>>
File: 1092107.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1092107.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>69914547
>Tyrion: Life isn't some play where you sing a little song and all your insipid dreams magically come true. So let it go.
It's like they're not even trying.
>>
File: 1371501713767.jpg (19 KB, 174x173) Image search: [Google]
1371501713767.jpg
19 KB, 174x173
>watch this
>HOLD THE DOOR

>think to myself "ha ha, more like HOLDDOOR"
>half a minute later
>>
>>69913825
this is confirmed cannon you dumb
>>
>>69915537
This guy here >>69915294

I guess GRRM basing things off War of the Roses is wrong too even though that's been confirmed for years now, because why base things off a British War when the Brits don't exist right?
>>
File: howtostopadoor.png (20 KB, 665x189) Image search: [Google]
howtostopadoor.png
20 KB, 665x189
>Note to self
>If decide to use first method be sure that heavy objects available are not limited to my fat retarded friend
>>
>>69916313
Except it's not. Greenseers in the books don't physically travel to the past, they grant prophetic visions. While it's likely that the event with Hodor plays out, it's won't be the same reasoning or details given that influence such a thing as "hold the door", at least not in it's entirety.
>>
>>69916374
a doorstop wouldn't stop that.

you think a small piece of wood is gonna stop a horde from knocking down a wooden door? the force of the pushing from the other side of the door (predominantly above the half way point of the door) would break the door in half from the top.

hodor was needed because he could evenly distribute all of his body to hold the door.

unless someone could have pushed a boulder there within seconds then there wasn't another way
>>
>>69916062
you are quite blunt aren't you
>>
>>69916543
>you think a small piece of wood is gonna stop a horde from knocking down a wooden door?
I think it would hold it long enough for Hodor to pick up the annoying cripple shit and haul ass instead of the Swampfu dragging a sled on fast walking pace
>>
>>69916641
but how else would you get HOld the DOOR scene? and remove the retard from taking screentime from jon snu
>>
I think my problem with "Hold the Door" is that it comes across as too precious, too perfect--a full circle moment, but for normie brains.

also, the scene itself was lacking in internal logic. why did bran warging hodor in the present also warg baby hodor? because he was in weirwood.net? but then why didn't ned go nutters? why was it meera's voice that hodor heard and not something bran said? I dunno...it just comes across as pure fanservice and it makes me barf a little in my mouth.
>>
>>69917009
Though I'm not surprised that GRRM thought of the idea--he's certainly not the master of prose and planning that people seem to assume he is.
>>
>>69914638
>lmao I allude to thing
only a truly enlightened genius could have come up with that
>>
>>69913687
it was more about the feelings than logic.
>>
>>69913825
Ok let me tell what's wrong with your post
1. GURM is a hack, and his books are just as shit as the show, it is ant it's always been a guilty pleasure
2. this is confirmed canon and will most likely happen in the final Bran's POV chapter of tWoW

Bookfags you're pathetic
even /lit/ laughs at you
>>
shit show
>>
>>69915286
Bran didn't tell anyone anything. He was warged into Hodor and actively made him die.
>>
We're fleeing from white walkers. Hold the door! The white walkers are stuck in the cave forever! Now Meera and I are safe in the snowy wilderness, hundreds of miles away from The Wall with no chance of being killed by the thousands of white walkers we just barely escaped. It's a good thing that we'll never see those pesky bad guys again. Now we can walk to the safety of the wall, being warm and not starving as we go. Gods bless D&D for eschewing the realism GRRM uses for his books.
>>
>>69917232
oh i get it now. they´re trying to make women the main watcher audience of GoT.
>>
>>69913687
that fat kid should get an emmy for his performance. he showed more desperation and emotion with that 1 line on a loop than tyrion with his whole speech during the trial.
>>
>Being made retarded because decades later a man wargs into you

That shit makes no sense, I fucking hate time travelling in every piece of media ever. And basically Hodor's entire life's purpose was to temporarily hold off some white walkers because Bran is destined to fuck up his training? Get fucked that's lame.
>>
Why would Hodor holding the door make any difference anyway? The girl who was dragging Bran was running in a straight line, and wouldn't really gain that much time from Hodor holding the door.
>>
>>69917352
well yeah, do you think men enjoy all the danny wank? show runners feel like they pushed away all the women with all the rape and sex so they are pulling them back by tuning it into a YA book. We used to meme but jorah mormont really did become lord friendzone.
>>
>>69917334
Benjin Stark to return and pull the sled swiftly to the wall.
>>
>>69917521
its not warging, bran is not just a warg. yes its a causality loop
>>
spoonfeed me /tv/ pls, I'm a very low IQ person
>>
>>69917543
And where were they running to? There's no safety anywhere even remotely close. The Night King knows where they always are because of magic and he has countless minions at his command.
>>
>>69917255
Nobody argues that ASOIAF isn't poorly written, it is, it's just better written than the show because it has actual exposition.

Which I personally get you can't shove literally everything from the books into a show, it'd be damn 30 seasons long more than likely, but there are subtle variations with how things have played out or will play out that make a big difference, and the fact that some storylines have diverged so much that they're not even recognizable anymore beyond character names (which some of those are even changed).

I'm not him, I enjoyed the episode, it just could have been done a lot better.
>>69917543
Because magic, the same reason Summer died needlessly that amounted to nothing but 2 seconds of extra time. Just to get them out of the show.
>>
Anyone have a screenshot of the nude Sansa actress?
>>
>>69917232
yeah they prepared us with the sacrifice of these ugly children of the forest
>>
>>69917255
>tWoW
>ever coming out
keep telling yourself that lad
>>
>>69913687
I've already seen posts like
>GRRM is a genuis, that Hodor thing is so clever. I wonder if he planned it all along, and if so, it only shows how brilliant he is
In German forums. They eat all shit up, except for Dorne, nobody likes Dorne.
>>
>>69918506
That looks like a comment I read on facebook an hour or two ago.

>inb4 facebook

Yeah I'm a faggot, sue me. Most people seem to actually think GRRM is the one doing the episodes, it's fucking weird.
>>
File: sunspear.png (163 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
sunspear.png
163 KB, 800x800
>>69918506
I do like Dorne anon
>>
Why did that bitch waste so much time trying to wake Bran? By the time the White Walkers got into the tree, they could have already made a break for it.
Then Summer, Hodor, and that cute wood elf(?) would still be alive.
>>
>>69915286
It was Frogfu who yelled "Hold the door!" at first
>>
File: 1463925722153[1].webm (2 MB, 800x452) Image search: [Google]
1463925722153[1].webm
2 MB, 800x452
>>69917730
>>
>>69917257

>do i fit in yet?
>>
>>69913825
>we have no idea what GRRM told us
wee, get a load of that gurrm apologism. When will you fags accept that this fat old man is a cheap hack and a shit writer
>>
>baaaaaw my meme character died!
>>
>>69914018
>this is what normies think is deep and smart
kek
>>
>>69919017
I think normalfags think time loops are deep and smart, when they're in such great things as Looper and Ocarina of Time, where they do nothing but make no sense and are either complete shit or overrated as fuck.
>>
File: 1428465268006.jpg (16 KB, 499x487) Image search: [Google]
1428465268006.jpg
16 KB, 499x487
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqB1uoDTdKM
>>
>>69913687
>His name was Hodor. Because he held...the door.
HOLD UP
He should have been black!
>>
>>69913825
>Well the average person isn't very intelligent

You're not particularly bright yourself are you?
>>
File: door66.jpg (303 KB, 904x1011) Image search: [Google]
door66.jpg
303 KB, 904x1011
>>
>>69913687

My uncle had Down's Syndrome and was about Hodor level functioning for most of his life; emotionally responsive, able to do simple things on his own, could emote but not really speak or communicate directly except for basic echolalia. He died last year. He lived in a group home and we were taking him to our house for Thanksgiving dinner and he fell on some tiles on the way out of the home. I almost caught him as he fell, but I wasn't fast enough. He hit his head and there was a big cut and he had to get stitches at the med facility they had there. It was literally the only time he ever produced clear words on his own; "PLEASE NO" over and over again as they held him down and stitched him up. I had to drag my little sister away as she sobbed and my dad stayed behind to be with him. I had nightmares last night of my uncle falling on those tiles in slow motion saying "Catch me! Please catch me!" in a Hodor voice. Seriously, get me off this fucking ride. His death was unrelated to the fall, rather the fall was indicative of the cognitive degeneration that preceded his death, but it still hurts.
>>
File: dubbelson.jpg (11 KB, 320x272) Image search: [Google]
dubbelson.jpg
11 KB, 320x272
>>69919899

good digits mate
>>
>>69919899
Feeling for you anon and your grief, everyone has known someone mentally ill. It'd take a heartless sociopath not to care when someone blameless like that dies.
>>
>>69919899

REPEATING DIGITS HERE
>>
>>69916774
some guy posted the hold the door theory a few weeks ago but it was on tower of joy hodor holding the door so no one enters, then lyanna dies and that traumatizes willys
>>
>>69919899

is tyhis copypasta
>>
File: DABURUU.gif (421 KB, 268x288) Image search: [Google]
DABURUU.gif
421 KB, 268x288
>>69919899
Next time don't dub your sob story
>>
>>69913687
D & D are basically running wild with the lore now they are free of martin.Notice how the show has been getting shitter and shitter?
>>
>>69921170

No. This is me relating a personal experience that caused me to connect with this episode on a deep emotional level, and sharing that connection on a board dedicated to talking about our shared interest in TV and movies. Unfortunately, the last two digits of my post number were the same, so more people are connecting with that apparently.
>>
>>69920576

Thanks bro.
>>
File: nzkecaGXY71rb57ne_540.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
nzkecaGXY71rb57ne_540.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
>>69916374
can you be this retarded??
> wooden door in shitty conditions
> a horde of undeads
> the heat of the moment

also, what >>69916543 said
>>
>>69913825
hurr durr i just summarize the plot in a sarcastic manner and act smug about it to prove how smart i am
>>
>>69913825

>GRRM IS BLAMELESS! HE DINDO NUFFIN!
>>
>>69917009
Bran could hear her voice but couldn't WAKE ME Up inside the dream and saw hodor in the past and warged him hoping to warm him in present, which made him have a seizure and here frogfu yelling.
Its really not thay hard to figure out
>>
>>69917660
Drogon gonna save him with benjen riding him
>>
>>69913825
You fucking retard GRRM is the one who told D&D about Hodors story. Fucking ingrates..
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.