[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JAY LENO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: JayLenoJul08.jpg (193 KB, 607x818) Image search: [Google]
JayLenoJul08.jpg
193 KB, 607x818
Jay Leno gets a lot of criticism for the Tonight Show debacle with Conan but I think the man has a heart of gold.

Consider this:

>Jay is the last of his family, his parents and siblings have all passed on
>Jay has never had kids of his own

I feel like these points have a deep significance that most people overlook. Anyone familiar with the ideas of "Antinatalism" will understand what I'm getting at here. I think it takes tremendous compassion NOT to have a child, not to subject a being to the suffering inherent in existence for the utterly selfish reasons usually cited by parents and reproductive instincts. It takes GUTS to know that you will grow old and die without passing on your genes and having kids.

Jay Leno is practically a Buddha at this point. He has enjoyed his life and hobbies like his car collection. He probably couldn't do that if he had kids. Why should we all sacrifice our lives for our kids, who will then sacrifice their lives for their kids, all of us missing out on living truly fulfilling lives beyond age 30? It's absurd.

Please, re-consider your hate of Jay Leno, for he is a beautiful man with a heart of gold. There's a sadness to him, having lost his family, but it's bittersweet. I think he made the right life choices and find him to be truly inspirational. I'm not joking at all.
>>
>>62707375
This is all good and noble, and he sounds like a kind person.

That doesn't mean you deserve your own talk show. You have to be funny to have your own talk show.

/thread
>>
>>62707395
There is a cool story about Jay's kindness, actually. He told it on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage. Apparently a kid in middle school or something was bragging to his friends that he knew Jay, or that Jay was his uncle, and he wrote a letter to Jay saying that his friends don't believe him and taunt him about it, and he asked if Jay would give him a ride to school one day. Well, I guess the kid lived near where Jay lived and worked, so he actually arranged to do it, and showed up in a Lamborghini car and drove the kid to school, then when he got out he shouted "See you later" so the kid's friends could hear and see who it was.

It's a very touching story. I got the sense that it really stood out in Jay's memory because he never had kids of his own.
>>
One thing I like about Jay is that he never let his politics play apart in the show. You couldn't guess with any confidence whether he was a Republican or a Democrat.

Unlike Letterman who'd ambush people he didn't agree with and fellate those he did.
>>
He's going to be live on Real Time tonight, the weekly live thread was just deleted though.
>>
>>62707443
Yea, but now everyone knows the kid was lying. Probably gets taunted even more now.
>>
>>62707492
I hate jay even worse now.
He's a 'That kid' enabler.
>>
I saw him on the Joe Rogan Experience recently.

He seems like a pretty decent guy.
>>
His car collection is "child dreaming about being a hundred billionaire" tier.

Absolutely pure class selection, deeply rooted in motorsport history, tons of historically important cars from the beginning, interesting rarities, not attracted to common Ferraris but instead early racing bugattis and alfas, flawlessly maintained by a full time staff of experts and craftsman and he shares this collection on his YouTube channel and anyone who cares to come film it.

He was apparently one of the greatest standups of all time in the 80's but I'll never see it. I didn't care for his Tonight Show but he's an automotive legend and I love his passion and deep love of the history.

GOAT car guy.
>>
>I think it takes tremendous compassion NOT to have a child

A typical childless liberal who hates the country
what a surprise
>>
File: Pure Hatred.jpg (54 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Pure Hatred.jpg
54 KB, 800x600
Conan's whinefest during that, and the irritating "I'm with Coco" retards, really made me hate O'brien. Fuck that manlet. Leno was based.
>>
Jay is a cool guy desu senpai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjRQXjcY6u0
>>
>>62707479

Kind of like Craig Ferguson, I guess thats why him and Leno are good friends.
>>
>>62707730
Watch Conan O'Brien Can't Stop. Conan is a duplicitous, paranoid megalomaniac.
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 970x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 970x512
Don't care for his style of comedy but this is a really good show
>>
I don't have blind hatred for Leno like Conanfags do but he really is a snake. I mean, who are his allies? It's Jerry Seinfeld and who else? Most of his comedic peers acknowledge that Leno was once a great stand-up who sold out and was a known back stabber. Leno won the ratings war but it's pretty clear that Letterman won the respect of his peers.
>>
cυck
>>
>>62707375
He didn't have kids because his wife is a feminist
>>
>>62707375
>Kids are terrible goyim! Never find a white wife to pass on our genes with, there's no purpose to life besides meaningless hedonism anyways. Now here's some pony cartoons and video games to keep you occupied, he he.
>>
Antinatalism is retarded. It's also retarded to believe that life is suffering when there are other things in between that aren't so bad. Why don't you just kill yourself if existence is so bad, you degenerate fuck?
>>
>>62707730
Cool opinions, but calling Conan a manlet is factually incorrect.

I have torn feelings about Jay. I watched his show regularly from the age of 7 because my parents didn't care what time I went to bed and it was time for me to spend with them anyhow. He was a cool guy but I never found him outright hilarious aside from Headlines Monday. I also don't give a shit about cars personally but he seems very knowledgeable in his car show and it is way more enjoyable than anything he did on the Tonight Show. Maybe in another universe he decided to get out of the Tonight Show even earlier than he did, stay out, and make a (better) American version of Top Gear.
>>
>>62707875
for the laughs, anon. for the laughs. no one watches that and thinks he's an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

you gotta handle the bantz
>>
>>62707936
Carson wrote jokes for Letterman until he died.
>>
Although I've never found him funny, his iteration of the Tonight Show was nonetheless very comfy in the 90s.
>>
I'm a Conan fan, so this is biased.

Jay ended up absorbing the hate, that wasn't necessarily directed at him. People didn't like that he won, but their actual problem was with the heads at NBC. Zucker wasn't on tv 5 nights a week, so people targeted Leno for it.

Jimmy Fallon is getting ratings that Conan could never get, so NBC is somewhat vindicated now.

I thought Conan's best week on the tonight show was his last. He finally opened up and made some jokes. He seemed kind of neutered on the show. The skits that were just supposed to be expensive to spend NBC money was straight out of late night. He doesn't do fan service like other hosts, he has more of a background in comedy.
>>
>>62707479
This
>>
jay is literally /tv/ core, everyone knows that. only redditors shill for Conan.

appreciate the type up though
>>
>>62708734
>Jimmy Fallon is getting ratings that Conan could never get, so NBC is somewhat vindicated now.

That's proven untrue tons of times. It was just some horseshit NBC made up to justify the fuck up of rehiring Leno. Fallon got good ratings for a month or something like that. Now his rating are piss poor and on par with conan's NBC ratings.
>>
>>62708840
>jay is literally /tv/ core, everyone knows that. only redditors shill for Conan.
what does that even mean.
>>
>supports/defends israel's war crimes
>heart of gold.
>>
>>62708872
>likes muslims
>thinks he has the moral highground
>>
>>62707672
I respect him for being a guy that loves automobile history in general and isn't legeneric baby boomer muscle car faggot who only cares about whatever he lost his virginity in. Most antique car fags are really just in it for nostalgia.
>>
>>62708840
I can't even tell if posts like yours are ironic anymore. I've been here since 2008 and almost no one has spoken kindly in regards to Jay that entire time. In fact, this is the first pro Jay thread I've ever seen. /tv/ used to be all about Letterman and Conan, then went through a Ferguson phase, but that's about it.
>>
>>62708851
literally what. it's not exactly hard to find out that Fallon has been far exceeding all other shows. he also gets millions of views on YouTube every week, as opposed to Conan who rarely breaks 100,000.

face it: celebrity/viral comedy is popular with mainstream America.
>>
>>62707912
This. I couldn't stand him as a talkshow host, but he's so great in Jay Leno's Garage. Probably because you can tell how much genuine enthusiasm and love he has for it, and talking about cool stuff instead of awkwardly making fun of people.

But hey, the money from the first let him do the second, so that's great.
>>
File: 1.jpg (81 KB, 529x477) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
81 KB, 529x477
>>62708917
forgot pic
>>
>>62708917
>it's not exactly hard to find out that Fallon has been far exceeding all other shows

That's because that is the best station/timeslot. His ratings are still piss poor and on par with conan's NBC ratings at this point. You WOULD be right about youtube if that actually translated to higher ratings or ad revenue, which it doesn't.

popular=/=profitable

Networks are shitting their pants right now trying to figure out how they can compete with Netflix and tons of advertisers are pissed at youtube because online advertising has been proven ineffective (different generation and ad blockers). I don't have to face shit.
>>
File: defeated wojak.jpg (133 KB, 780x818) Image search: [Google]
defeated wojak.jpg
133 KB, 780x818
>>62707730
Jay did nothing wrong. He was welcomed and accepted by the old guard and earned the Tonight Show. He understood it was an American institution and did his best to live up to that, quite successfully.

Conan understood how important the Tonight Show was, but he was just greedy. He didn't deserve it, and he didn't care about what would happen once he got there. It was like a little kid saying "I want to be president", which is great and everything, but a little kid doesn't know HOW to be president. And because bored millennials fucking LOVE "causes", they latched onto "le epic Team Coco" and completely obliterated an American institution, without ever caring about it to begin with or understanding what they destroyed. Now that same institution is being hosted by fucking Jimmy Fallon, who is doing the best he can, god bless his little heart, but has no fucking business being the host of what should be an enormously important and iconic television landmark.

They probably won't even call it "The Tonight Show" once Fallon moves on, because there's no one left watching who can apply any sort of meaning to that title. Instead we'll have "Jeff Dunham's TONIGHT" or some shit.
>>
>>62708851
Jimmy Kimmel is a much bigger factor now than in 2009, he wasn't on at 11:35 back then. Fallon still has good ratings.

Conan was losing to Letterman, something Leno hadn't done in 15 years.

Anyone remember how after Conan took over, Letterman had the blackmail scandal about how he was cheating on his wife with staffers? It always seems to go unnoticed. Seemed like suspicious timing.
>>
>>62709000
>Viewers (000s) wk of 11/2-6
>Jimmy Fallon NBC 0.91/5 3.37
>Conan TBS 11 p.m. 0.26 0.56

come again?
>>
>>62709000
You're only looking at this from the NBC perspective.

If Fallon is the most popular, than he's going to be the best platform for promotion. He can get better access to guests.

If Brad Pitt is promoting a movie, he's more likely to do Colbert earlier on the week, and then Fallon on the more important Thursday show.
>>
>>62709053
>but has no fucking business being the host of what should be an enormously important and iconic television landmark.

Is such a title even relevant anymore in the Internet age? I mean, maybe the Tonight Show meant something in the 70s but TV as a whole is far less important now as an entertainment/information medium.
>>
>>62709066
Your supposed to compare Fallon now, with 2009 Conan.
>>
>>62709066
What part of Conan's NBC ratings do you not understand? Those are TBS ratings.

>>62709057
You seem to be missing the point. Fallon does not have good ratings. None of them do. He has the best ratings. Tallest midget. NBC's hard lesson is they are dying along with the rest of network television.
>>
>>62709116
Internet age? It hasn't been relevant since Dave went to CBS.
>>
>tfw the only night show worth watching was the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

He would actually just talk to his guests like humans instead of shilling and asking pedantic bullshit or plugging stuff.

And he flirted the fuck out of every hoe on that show.

I MISS YOU CRAIG
>>
>>>62709124
having the best ratings is the best they can do, dipshit. The internet is cannibalising traditional tv audiences, especially amongst the target youth demographic.

You can't compare today's tv climate to that of 5 years ago since audiences are on the whole smaller now. It's like inflation.

And Conan and Fallon are DIRECT COMPETITORS TODAY, so comparing their Tonight show figures is doubly stupid.
>>
>>62708898
Leno if he wanted to could just have a garage full of Hemi Chargers and Chevelle SSes and be done with it. I mean, those were the cars of his childhood. Yet he instead collects stuff like a 1915 Studebaker or a 1930s Austin and sometimes even drives them to work.
>>
>>62709141
>He would actually just talk to his guests like humans
>humans

I think you mean hipsters. Normal people don't sit there being OH SO IRONIC non stop. He was pretty insufferable if you don't find petty sex themed retorts funny.
>>
>>62709141
this is actually why I never liked Craig. His conversations had no direction, his show was kind of a bummer to look at and experience and his horndog schtick irked me. Same with Conan, really. Once you've seen them do it once you've seen them do it a million times.
>>
>>62707936
Yeah, Jay is isolated in the comedy world to a degree. Tons of stories of him being stingy with money and unnecessarily mean to other comedians even when he had tens of millions. Plus Howard Stern ripping him all the time for stealing bits and being unfunny in the 80-90s didnt help. It's clear everybody liked and respected Jay until the 90s when he got the Carson spot.
He should be recognized as probably the most prolific stand-up of all time. He's most likely told more jokes on stage to an audience than any person in history. He's still a decent comedian too
>>
>>62709053
Yeah, the guy who wrote for the simpsons and had his own talk show for over a decade prior has no business on the tonight show
>>
>>62707479
Letterman didn't really snap until the O'Reilly thing, when the guy was calling him an idiot. He was both serious and fair with Dole, Hillary, W, etc.
>>
>>62709208
>>62709233

I enjoyed it. You guys would probably hate me in real life (or even right now I guess), because I would just guffaw like an idiot the entire time

>IT'S LIKE HE'S SAYING WHAT I'M THINKING
>>
>>62709053
>it was an American institution
kek, no one watches tv anymore except you grandpa
>>
>>62709197
>And Conan and Fallon are DIRECT COMPETITORS TODAY, so comparing their Tonight show figures is doubly stupid.

This is all ignoring the fact that you can't compare them at all which was my original point. Fallon is not the success NBC attempts to promote him as. You could literally put anyone in that slot and their numbers would be comparable. He's built a brand and that's great, but the fact remains that NBC's numbers have steadily plummeted regardless of host. They started on top with declining ratings. They are still on top with declining ratings. Hooray for fallon?
>>
File: 1444243971465.png (21 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1444243971465.png
21 KB, 900x900
>>62707443

A celebrity's good deed never goes unheard of
>>
A lot of once-integral parts of the TV landscape like talk shows, evening news broadcasts, and game shows are now laughable dinosaurs watched by few people and even fewer among the young. The 20th century had to end at some point.

I happened to catch Wheel of Fortune the other day and wondered why it's even still on or what purpose it serves in this day and age. I'd guess they just show it in rest homes and prop dementia patients in front of the TV as a "babysitter".
>>
>>62709243
>wrote for The Simpsons

He had no significant contributions to the show. His little talkshow was fine. That's why millennials liked him, they could relate to his "le epic masturbating bear XD" style of comedy. He had no business hosting the Tonight Show.
>>
>>62709208
Compared to the other late night hosts who just suck the guest's dick all night and try to pass off their rehearsed, guest-approved "spontaneity" as genuine he was a godsend.
>>
>>62709270
how do you know that? smartass frog poster
>>
>>62709141
Word he was the best
>>
>>62709291
>>62707443

>He told it on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage
>>
>>62709300
he could be doing good deeds everyday and because he told of one you're marking him down as a braggart. .
>>
>>62709276
He wrote three episodes, but a lot of those had material the other writers added.
>>
File: LAteNightRAtings.jpg (184 KB, 1320x465) Image search: [Google]
LAteNightRAtings.jpg
184 KB, 1320x465
>>62709266
Fallon really isn't doing as bad as you say he is.

This is the most important demographic, and he's killing it.
>>
>>62709320

>he could be doing good deeds everyday
>he could be

I guess we'll never know :^)
>>
>>62709276
Letterman liked his show (at least in the 90s).
>>
>>62709348
conan averaged like a 1.1 in the 18-49 and that was 6 years ago, he also would get beat by old man Letterman on a few nights. Fallon is clearly better.
>>
File: 2101119[1].jpg (79 KB, 520x650) Image search: [Google]
2101119[1].jpg
79 KB, 520x650
Has there every been an openly anti-natalist celebrity?

Pic semi-related, since he's Nic Pizza's self-insert, though Pizza isn't really a celebrity.
>>
>>62709348
Holy fuck, when are they gonna cancel Wilmore's Racism Repore?

It's safe to do it now, the SJWs can't complain it was because he's black because Trevor Noah is doing a fine job on The Daily Show.
>>
>>62709289
Craig's shit was guest approved too. It was just less about promotion. Every single girl came on there hamming up the slut act from the very beginning. Don't delude yourself. Also Conan's biggest criticism during the 2009 fiasco was that he was "too mean" to guests so I'm not sure what you mean by sucking dick.
>>
File: sea captain.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
sea captain.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
>>62709276
>He had no significant contributions to the show.

What in Davy Jones’ locker did ye just bark at me, ye scurvy bilgerat? I’ll have ye know I be the meanest cutthroat on the seven seas, and I’ve led numerous raids on fishing villages, and raped over 300 wenches. I be trained in hit-and-run pillaging and be the deadliest with a pistol of all the captains on the high seas. Ye be nothing to me but another source o’ swag. I’ll have yer guts for garters and keel haul ye like never been done before, hear me true. You think ye can hide behind your newfangled computing device? Think twice on that, scallywag. As we parley I be contacting my secret network o’ pirates across the sea and yer port is being tracked right now so ye better prepare for the typhoon, weevil. The kind o’ monsoon that’ll wipe ye off the map. You’re sharkbait, fool. I can sail anywhere, in any waters, and can kill ye in o’er seven hundred ways, and that be just with me hook and fist. Not only do I be top o’ the line with a cutlass, but I have an entire pirate fleet at my beck and call and I’ll damned sure use it all to wipe yer arse off o’ the world, ye dog. If only ye had had the foresight to know what devilish wrath your jibe was about to incur, ye might have belayed the comment. But ye couldn’t, ye didn’t, and now ye’ll pay the ultimate toll, you buffoon. I’ll shit fury all over ye and ye’ll drown in the depths o’ it. You’re fish food now.

But he actually did create the captain. And just as other writers helped with his episodes, he helped with theirs. He also wrote with Robert Smigel on SNL.
>>
>>62709276
>no significant contributions to the show
MONORAIIIIIILLLLL
>>
>>62709348
>>62709397

Your point is moot. Fallon suffered the same loss NBC was attempting to avoid. He also gets beat by colbert eventually. There's no comparison. The numbers are just dying and NBC realized firing conan and leno made too big of a scene, so now they hype Fallon like he's the next big thing while being caught looking for his replacement.
>>
>>62709399
OP's attempt to make this anti-natalist thread derailed immediately into a late night thread. There's a distinction between principled anti-natalism and simply not wanting kids. The most recent time I saw Jay pressed on it, in a very cringey interview obviously inspired by his wikipedia page, he said he thought he was too old at this point and would probably have to adopt if anything.
Rust wasn't anti-natalist, he was just jaded from the experience of losing his child and worked that into a framework of cynicism. Pizza plagiarized Rust's philosophical musings anyway so we can't even say he's really a self insert.
>>
>>62709487
Jay never had kids because he made the mistake of marrying a vicious feminist who wanted nothing to do with them.
>>
>>62709266
>This is all ignoring the fact that you can't compare them at all which was my original point. Fallon is not the success NBC attempts to promote him as. You could literally put anyone in that slot and their numbers would be comparable. He's built a brand and that's great, but the fact remains that NBC's numbers have steadily plummeted regardless of host. They started on top with declining ratings. They are still on top with declining ratings. Hooray for fallon?

It. Is. Two. Thousand. Fifteen. Not. Nineteen. Eighty. Five. Late. Night. Talk. Shows. Are. Not. Relevant. Anymore. Why. Is. This. A. Surprise?
>>
>Not funny
>Ugly

Does he have family/friends who hooked him up a career cause I just cant see how hes done so well for so long?
>>
>>62709348
I like Corden and his show is quite comfy, glad he's doing well.
>>
>>62709561
It's funny to think. Back in 1985, thirty years ago was 1955 yet in many regards, things didn't change so much versus 1985 to 2015. TV was still the dominant media form and people in the 80s watched game shows, evening news, and everything else more-or-less just like they did in the Eisenhower years. Even the method by which you watched didn't change appreciably, still a CRT TV with 480 lines of analog video.

Today of course you have HD TVs with 1080p video and TV itself is not as relevant anymore along with many of the traditional programming formats like game shows being as silly and archaic now as a vaudeville production.
>>
>>62709561
>Having to hit that many periods

This is why it pays to follow the conversation anon instead of just interjecting while not knowing what the context of the discussion is.
>>
>>62707443
still doesn't make him a good talk show host
>>
Leno was as exciting to watch as flossing teeth, but since his target audience was bored 45 year old housewives, it didn't matter anyway.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.